Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,653 members, 7,902,029 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 08:05 PM

Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile (879 Views)

620k Job In Nigeria Vs Msc In UK? Please Advise / Why Do Morticians Knock At Door Before Entering The Mortuary? Scary Experiences / Facts To Remember While Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:35pm On Jul 07
Na my guy Gerrard.59 force me to make this thread.

Before I left Nigeria, I was what you would call an aggressive job applicant. I didn't plan to use the study route to leave. I wanted to leave with visa sponsorship. It's quite scarce now but back then 2021, 2022 ish some Nigerians were lucky to get visa sponsorship jobs to Europe especially Germany. I was quite active on tech twitter and almost everyday someone was posting the new job they had gotten and how they were leaving.

The downside was that I had just started my tech career then and had just like 2 years experience and I was still very very junior but I didn't let that deter me. I was applying to at least 10 jobs everyday on LinkedIn in European countries mostly in Germany and I was studying leetcode like crazy. I even had a revision session with a few paddles from nairaland where we revise the leetcode questions we had solved during the week. So it was just solve and apply. But men I won't lie from Nigeria things were just too tough. In a single month you would only have one interview and most times after the introductory interview with the recruiter that was it. I spent a year doing this and nothing commot from am then I started looking at the study route. Europe was out of it because only the UK had an easy study visa. The rest were tough as nails and I have never liked the UK. For me I rather be in Nigeria than be in the UK if it was the last option.

I finally Sha left Nigeria and the process to get a job was night and day. The first week I landed Chile and I immediately changed my location on LinkedIn to Chile. I started getting recruiters sending me messages for work. The funny thing is throughout my time in Nigeria despite paying a so called professional to revamp my LinkedIn I only had two recruiters reach out to me for work and it never went anywhere. From my second week In Chile I started having interviews with companies like IBM, Amazon, Cisco, the Chilean state bank, fallabela. Multinationals in Chile, Europe and the US. Companies I was chasing in Nigeria. Even andela was pursuing me here. The same andela me and my friends then we're struggling to enter cheesy cheesy cheesy. Anyhow, the interview process to get a job here isn't a joke in anyway. Despite the opportunities being there no one is gonna just hand you a job. Thank God I solved enough leetcode in Naija before Japa so my brain was still hot. Na only to revise. I failed some interviews but after a while I started doing exceedingly well in them and eventually I got an offer. I actually got two offers but I went with one and so far I really like where I work. It's the perfect job for me.

This is my experience but then you can't discount luck. The highest earning dev I know was earning 30000 usd a month and this was while he was in Nigeria. A few people I know who left Nigeria are also still struggling to land interviews talk less of jobs.

https://www.nairaland.com/6719932/living-uk-life-immigrant-part-2/997#123123767

This is a post from a recruiter in the UK and she also mentioned how hard it was to get work for a lot of people.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by RealityKings: 6:57pm On Jul 07
The funny thing is throughout my time in Nigeria despite paying a so called professional to revamp my LinkedIn I only had two recruiters reach out to me for work and it never went anywhere. From my second week In Chile I started having interviews with companies like IBM, Amazon, Cisco, the Chilean state bank, fallabela. Multinationals in Chile, Europe and the US. Companies I was chasing in Nigeria. Even andela was pursuing me here. The same andela me and my friends then we're struggling to enter

Nigeria has a huge tech enthusiasts and professionals. That explains why it might be hard to land a high paying dev role here.
So the moment you change location(Chile), you are seen as a bigger fish with a much better prospect and experience.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Lordbinsmar: 7:11pm On Jul 07
Nice grin
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by TheTraveler: 8:49pm On Jul 07
RealityKings:

Nigeria has a huge tech enthusiasts and professionals. That explains why it might be hard to land a high paying dev role here.
So the moment you change location(Chile), you are seen as a bigger fish with a much better prospect and experience.
I disagree, it has to do with the country's tarnished reputation. Or are you saying Nigeria has more tech talents than India?

2 Likes

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by RealityKings: 8:49pm On Jul 07
TheTraveler:

I disagree.

Ok. No wahala
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:57pm On Jul 07
The funny thing is I thought of moving to an African country initially but men Africa is doomed. Aside south Africa which has comparable job openings to European countries. African countries have nothing not even Kenya or Rwanda. I wonder where all this people alx is training at the moment are gonna work Sha. European companies also prefer going to India and phillipines to hire rather than Africans that are in the same timezone. I was even begged here to see if I can wake up by 4 to start work, something that will never happen In Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Kaczynski: 3:50am On Jul 08
tensazangetsu20:
The funny thing is I thought of moving to an African country initially but men Africa is doomed. Aside south Africa which has comparable job openings to European countries. African countries have nothing not even Kenya or Rwanda. I wonder where all this people alx is training at the moment are gonna work Sha. European companies also prefer going to India and phillipines to hire rather than Africans that are in the same timezone. I was even begged here to see if I can wake up by 4 to start work, something that will never happen In Nigeria.

Most Africans are not technically inclined compared to indians and Filipinos
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:56am On Jul 08
Kaczynski:

The few ones technically inclined no go see anything. I just pity those wey don born Sha. The future doesn't look bright at all for Africans.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Gerrard59(m): 3:57am On Jul 08
An eye-opener post from my leader.

I find it very interesting because over here, there are PLENTIFUL tech jobs, and way more if one knows Japanese. Companies here aren't open to employing newbies or those with less than four years of experience from outside the country. However, for those inside with resident status, the process is straightforward. As I wrote in your Memoirs from Chile, the Nigerian dude who graduated a year ahead of me got four offers. He requested a salary increment in the first and got it. Then he asked for another increment, but was declined. He refused the offer. The other offer had his resumption date to be the same month as the Japanese staff and they were egging him on to accept till he nailed his current place of work offer with an equivalent salary of $5K per month. When I visited him earlier this year, I met his Kenyan and Ivorien colleagues. There are many black Africans in the industry. Tech jobs no be problem for here. The koko is: you sabi leetcode? If yes, good. Can you speak Japanese? Brilliant! This opens more opportunities.

So, I am surprised by the crises in the UK as exemplified by Aphrodite007 who coincidentally is an executive recruiter.

All the same, well done. I am loyal to your gofment🙌🏿

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Kaczynski: 4:04am On Jul 08
Gerrard59:

I find it very interesting because over here, there are PLENTIFUL tech jobs, and way more if one knows Japanese. Companies here aren't open to employing newbies or those with less than four years of experience from outside the country. However, for those inside with resident status, the process is straightforward. As I wrote in your Memoirs from Chile, the Nigerian dude who graduated a year ahead of me got four offers. He requested a salary increment in the first and got it. Then he asked for another increment, but was declined. He refused the offer. The other offer had his resumption date to be the same month as the Japanese staff and they were egging him on to accept till he nailed his current place of work offer with an equivalent salary of $5K per month. When I visited him earlier this year, I met his Kenyan and Ivorien colleagues. There are many black Africans in the industry. Tech jobs no be problem for here. The koko is: you sabi leetcode? If yes, good. Can you speak Japanese? Brilliant! This opens more opportunities.

So, I am surprised by the crises in the UK as exemplified by Aphrodite007 who coincidentally is an executive recruiter.

Tech jobs in JP na shege pro max with shitty pay , it's better to work in Romania than JP
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by lordally(m): 4:53am On Jul 08
Kaczynski:

Can you back this claim with proven statistics?
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by lordally(m): 5:02am On Jul 08
Gerrard59:

The crisis in UK is not rocket science. The issue is getting a job that will sponsor your stay. That's the main issue. So people might get a tech job but without Sponsorship

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Gerrard59(m): 12:07pm On Jul 08
lordally:

The crisis in UK is not rocket science. The issue is getting a job that will sponsor your stay. That's the main issue. So people might get a tech job but without Sponsorship

So, why are employers not open to offering sponsorship alongside the job offer? Why is sponsorship hard to issue or obtain? If it is the salary requirement, then it means the would-be employees don't have what it takes to be recruited for such positions.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by strictly4data: 12:48pm On Jul 08
smiley
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by SpaceX: 1:03pm On Jul 08
My wife is a programmer she has a tech job, works from home and her pay is huge.
Normal story line of present day.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:36pm On Jul 08
SpaceX:
My wife is a programmer she has a tech job, works from home and her pay is huge.
Normal story line of present day.

Your wife is one of the lucky ones.

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Maxxim: 1:57pm On Jul 08
If there's any trait I notice about you from following you on this platform, it's your aggressive drive, whether you're on the right or wrong path. I wish I could develop that quality.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

2 Likes

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Karleb(m): 3:58pm On Jul 08
Maxxim:
If there's any trait I notice about you from following you on this platform, it's your aggressive drive, whether you're on the right or wrong path. I wish I could develop that quality.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

A swear!

Bro is either far right or far left, no in-between. grin

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by lastkingsman: 5:31pm On Jul 08
Gerrard59:

So, why are employers not open to offering sponsorship alongside the job offer? Why is sponsorship hard to issue or obtain? If it is the salary requirement, then it means the would-be employees don't have what it takes to be recruited for such positions.

Sponsorship cost serious money for the employer. I have explained this before. Almost £14,000 except Care CoS which is not easy too because the demand for it is very high
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Maxxim: 7:16pm On Jul 08
Karleb:

A swear!

Bro is either far right or far left, no in-between. grin
I thought I was alone😁, but turns out..
It's been quite rewarding for em fr

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by lordally(m): 11:49am On Jul 09
Gerrard59:

So many of these employers just want to employ you and you just start working simple. Lots of them don't have the time to stress on any extra stuffs with visa matter. So I think , for them to wanna go the extra length, the employee would likely be one with ample years of experience
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by lordally(m): 11:58am On Jul 09
lastkingsman:

Sponsorship cost serious money for the employer. I have explained this before. Almost £14,000 except Care CoS which is not easy too because the demand for it is very high

Is care COS free?
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Dougad: 9:38pm On Jul 18
tensazangetsu20:

It's something I've noticed too. They like the Filipinos a lot even beyond just coding jobs.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Mhistaedie01(m): 2:31am On Jul 20
please can i get to reach out to you. Hope you dont mind
tensazangetsu20:

Your wife is one of the lucky ones.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:56am On Jul 20
Mhistaedie01:
please can i get to reach out to you. Hope you dont mind

Ask what you want here. I dont reply PMs from nairaland anymore.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Mhistaedie01(m): 3:57am On Jul 20
tensazangetsu20:

Ask what you want here. I dont reply PMs from nairaland anymore.
I am currently learning react.js as I am trying to become a frontend web developer. Reading your posts on programming really motivates me. I would like you to guide me through this learning process and find my feet in the job market. I am not asking you to teach me, I just need someone to show me the ropes in this field. Hope you dont mind sir.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:03am On Jul 20
Mhistaedie01:
I am currently learning react.js as I am trying to become a frontend web developer. Reading your posts on programming really motivates me. I would like you to guide me through this learning process and find my feet in the job market. I am not asking you to teach me, I just need someone to show me the ropes in this field. Hope you dont mind sir.

It's been long I did anything frontend related. I don't think my advice will help you as technology especially frontend related technology changes really fast.

1 Like

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Mhistaedie01(m): 9:00am On Jul 20
tensazangetsu20:

It's been long I did anything frontend related. I don't think my advice will help you as technology especially frontend related technology changes really fast.
Okay sir. But you could still advice me how to put myself out there for jobs because I think this where most us find it difficult as beginners.
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20
Mhistaedie01:
Okay sir. But you could still advice me how to put myself out there for jobs because I think this where most us find it difficult as beginners.

It's hard for everyone including those with experience. There's nothing you can do aside trying and making your skills better.

2 Likes

Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Mhistaedie01(m): 12:50pm On Jul 20
tensazangetsu20:

It's hard for everyone including those with experience. There's nothing you can do aside trying and making your skills better.
ok sir
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by Ajibade123(m): 1:30pm On Jul 21
tensazangetsu20:

So what stack do you do now?
Re: Job Hunting Experiences. Nigeria Vs Chile by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:32pm On Jul 21
Ajibade123:

So what stack do you do now?

I do Salesforce development.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Firefighting In Nigeria / Great Spartans / How Is India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.