Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,580 members, 7,917,852 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 04:45 PM

Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century (90 Views)

Virtual Telephone / Practical Solution To Learning Difficulties Of African Children In 21st Century. / Why These Courses Are The Most Sought After Courses In The 21st Century? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century by immortalcrown(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10
Fellow Nairalanders, good day to you all.

Please, is it right for someone to pick a call from a known (saved) contact and wait for the caller to be the first to speak? As in, the receiver will pick the call but will not speak until he or she hears "Hello" or anything from the caller.

Someone will pick your call, wait for some seconds and starts speaking by scolding you because you were not the first to say, "Hello". And there was no form of dispute before the call. I sincerely need communication experts to educate me on this issue.

I posted this topic on my WhatsApp status and have gotten some responses which I have quoted in the comment section.

Re: Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century by immortalcrown(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10
Anyone who initiates a call should speak first and not the receiver.

The conversation usually starts with the greeting "hello." and followed by an introduction."This is XYZ from ABC Limited...am I speaking with 123"

In this way, the receiver need not ask, "Who is this, please?"

In the case you highlighted, the same principle applies. The caller should speak first by saying "hello" even when the receiver have their number saved. This opens the line for conversation.

However, if the call is informal (with family, friends, or close colleagues), these principles are usually relaxed.

It must be said that scolding over the phone is very impolite and an inappropriate way of providing an explanation or correction.
Re: Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century by immortalcrown(m): 4:01pm On Jul 10
To me honestly isn't a bad thing, why because the person calling is the one in need of hearing from you, and call so he /she has to speak at first. That's my own policy anyways
Re: Telephone Etiquette In 21st Century by immortalcrown(m): 4:03pm On Jul 10
The receiver "answers" to show that they have received the call. Then you the caller have to now state the reason for the call and the synchronous communication progresses.

Sometimes, you do not even know if the call was picked inadvertently and you are just speaking to yourself. Their "hello" or "hi" on the other end of the line signifies their audience and reception of the call.

In fact, clicking the receive button and keeping mute is a sign of disapproval of the call at that time.

(1) (Reply)

Download Unilag Pastquestions Msc Environmental Biology 2024/2025 Entrance Exam / Unilag Pastquestions Msc Environmental Toxicology And Pollution Management 2024 / 90+ Best Mass Communication Project Topics In 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.