Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,333 members, 7,913,785 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 12:25 PM

Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials (30722 Views)

Supreme Court’s Judgment Means No FAAC Allocations To CTC Chairmen – Ozekhome / Tinubu Bars FG Officials With No Direct UNGA Participation From Travelling / NUT Kicks Against Direct Allocation Of Funds To Lgs, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by adioolayi(m): 3:08pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

Do you realise SC just summarily removed LG from SLJAC and added them to FAAC by this pronouncement? So why should states share proceeds from SLJAC with them when they are not members? I already said it that the whole thing makes no sense!

What happened to Tinubu's famed agitation for fiscal federalism and resource control? That should be the way to go as it exists in other countries. If the states and LGs control the resources in their domains and pay royalties to FG, there will be no need for any spoonfeeding. All this is whitewash. Tinubu is looking like an hypocrite after all

I don't understand what you meant by SC adding LGs to FAAC...are you saying LGs are not part of FAAC before now?

Why is sharing formula of FAAC - FG 52.68% , State 26.72% and LGs 20.6% ...if LGs are not part of FAAC

Don't let us complicate these issues...let State Governors conduct elections...make local government politics more interesting and let them function appropriately
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:10pm On Jul 11
adioolayi:

I don't understand what you meant by SC adding LGs to FAAC...are you saying LGs are not part of FAAC before now?

Why is sharing formula of FAAC - FG 52.68% , State 26.72% and LGs 20.6% ...if LGs are not part of FAAC

Don't let us complicate these issues...let State Governors conduct elections...make local government politics more interesting and let them function appropriately
FAAC is made up of the minister of finance and the 36 state commissioners of finance. They collect the share of the LGs on their behalf.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by bixton(m): 3:11pm On Jul 11
Odidigboigbo:
Baba I know all these it can only become law when the president has assented to the bill, but till now nothing like that has happened. As I said Delta is holding LG election this weekend and it's being conducted by DSIEC not INEC

Lucky them.
It's a process. Some states may escape it some may not escape it. But the end of State Electoral Commissions have come to an end and it ends this year.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by adioolayi(m): 3:11pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

It is obvious you are not even aware of how these things operate. It's a hierarchy.
1. All funds collected by the Federal Govt goes into the federation account aka FAAC.
2. FAAC is shared between the FG and states
3. The states collect all funds meant for the states and pay into the state joint account aka SLJAC
4. SLJAC is shared among the state and the LGs
You can see here that FG and states have a common purse called FAAC while states and LGs have a common purse called SLJAC.
If you remove LG from SLJAC and add them to FAAC, why should the state still recognise them as part of SLJAC?
Watch what will happen in the coming months. You will see the folly of this judgement

I have responded to you. There is also already a sharing formula for FAAC and also SLJAC...

What is different here is State and Local Government won't need to put allocations from FAAC into SLJAC...SLJAC will solely be for IGR....so, let them share whatever is generated using their existing formula
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by muykem: 3:11pm On Jul 11
COMPAQ:

Story!! They are just as incompetent and useless as the State and Federal governments.
It will definitely accommodate many people in the grassroot.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by adioolayi(m): 3:14pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

FAAC is made up of the minister of finance and the 36 state commissioners of finance. They collect the share of the LGs on their behalf.

Let States Commissioner of finance go with two separate accounts to FAAC meeting...one for State Government and one for the LGs in that State.

It's not a complex matter...if they don't have democratically elected Chairmen..they get nothing into the LGS account
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:15pm On Jul 11
adioolayi:

I have responded to you. There is also already a sharing formula for FAAC and also SLJAC...

What is different here is State and Local Government won't need to put allocations from FAAC into SLJAC...SLJAC will solely be for IGR....so, let them share whatever is generated using their existing formula
You seem to not understand. Let us imagine for a moment that fiscal federalism and resource control is enacted in Nigeria which means states will begin to control resources in their domain and thus collect their revenues directly, do you think there will still be any need for FAAC in such circumstance? FAAC exists because states don't collect all the revenues that should accrue to them directly. Same for SLJAC. I'm telling you no governor will share IGR with LGs once they are collecting their allocations from FG directly except a very nice gov. And we all know that number will not even be up to 5.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:17pm On Jul 11
adioolayi:

Let States Commissioner of finance go with two separate accounts to FAAC meeting...one for State Government and one for the LGs in that State.

It's not a complex matter...if they don't have democratically elected Chairmen..they get nothing into the LGS account
Ok.... and state IGR nko? Which forum will LGs use to collect it?

Besides, what you wrote is not what the SC said. SC said to pay DIRECTLY into LG accounts
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by adioolayi(m): 3:20pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

Ok.... and state IGR nko? Which forum will LGs use to collect it?

Besides, what you wrote is not what the SC said. SC said to pay DIRECTLY into LG accounts

Not as complex as you are saying

SJLGAAC
This Committee was set up to ensure equitable distribution of the statutory allocations to local governments from the Federation Account and 10% of the internally generated revenue of the appropriate State Governments is shared under the beneficiaries, in accordance with the 1999 Constitution, using the criteria as Equality, Population, Primary School Enrolment and Internally Generated Revenue Data.

https://faac.ng/about-us
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by just2endowed: 3:21pm On Jul 11
weyreypey:
Fubara in soup...

he already order for lga election so how is he in soup
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:22pm On Jul 11
adioolayi:

Not as complex as you are saying

SJLGAAC
This Committee was set up to ensure equitable distribution of the statutory allocations to local governments from the Federation Account and 10% of the internally generated revenue of the appropriate State Governments is shared under the beneficiaries, in accordance with the 1999 Constitution, using the criteria as Equality, Population, Primary School Enrolment and Internally Generated Revenue Data.

https://faac.ng/about-us
And since LGs no longer get paid their allocations from SLJAC, what is still the need for it? Are you telling me you expect govs to still be sharing IGR with them? Are you seriously thinking that will happen?
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Wisfem: 3:25pm On Jul 11
Philipponzaghi:
Kudos to FG for upholding the rule of law and promoting democracy in local government administration!

A little win win for the masses since 1999,
Local govt is closer to the grass root, let the corruption continue there..
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by adioolayi(m): 3:25pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

And since LGs no longer get paid their allocations from SLJAC, what is still the need for it? Are you telling me you expect govs to still be sharing IGR with them? Are you seriously thinking that will happen?

They will share the IGR..that 10%. Taxes are collected in their domains...just as FG collect taxes in State domains.

They are entitled to 10% of State IGR
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by sparko1(m): 3:26pm On Jul 11
Ojuntana:

In my view, this actually favours states like Rivers. They don't have to share their IGR with the LGs anymore since FG has now undertaken to pay them directly. The intent behind the joint accounts at the state level is so that the IGR is also shared along with the federal allocation. How much does each LG get from the Federal purse? No LG gets up to 1bn monthly. So I don't see why the SC will decimate the constitution which they obviously have no powers to do just to satisfy some political interest

Close to half of the internally generated revenue are collected by LGA, like Lagos, the major IGR that state will control is those PAYE and personal income tax, anything collected by hand is usually controlled by local government.

I understand your point but there is no good news for states, the kind of war that will be fought during local government election will make presidential election look like child play.

The major issue is, the fact that they have control means, they are accountable for whatever they earn and spend, no more state control and oversight, that in itself is the biggest threat. So LG chairmen will begin acting like demi gods, besides Kings and chiefs too are under LG, just watch and see.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Wisfem: 3:27pm On Jul 11
[quote author=PHIPEX post=130901721]Wonderful

This seems to be the only good news we have heard from this administration. LG system was rendered dead by successive govts to the advantage of the governors.[/quo

honestly, it is a little win for the mases
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:28pm On Jul 11
adioolayi:

They will share the IGR..that 10%. Taxes are collected in their domains...just as FG collect taxes in State domains.

They are entitled to 10% of State IGR
Says who?
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Ojuntana: 3:32pm On Jul 11
sparko1:

Close to half of the internally generated revenue are collected by LGA, like Lagos, the major IGR that state will control is those PAYE and personal income tax, anything collected by hand is usually controlled by local government.

I understand your point but there is no good news for states, the kind of war that will be fought during local government election will make presidential election look like child play.

The major issue is, the fact that they have control means, they are accountable for whatever they earn and spend, no more state control and oversight, that in itself is the biggest threat. So LG chairmen will begin acting like demi gods, besides Kings and chiefs too are under LG, just watch and see.
The LGs collect those revenues in Lagos and other states based on the laws made by the state assembly. Does the money not go into SLJAC as pronounced by those laws? Do LGs have IRS?
Of course it is not good news for the states. But i believe it is not good news for the LGs either. They will be worse off in the long run. What is needed is an act of the National Assembly to prescribe how LG funds should be paid or constituional amendment at best. I know most people will say the state assemblies are controlled by the govs but it is for that same reason Buhari attempted to give the state assemblies and judiciary financial autonomy and it was this same SC that quashed it when it is not even blatantly against the constitution.
Watch how things will pan out soon
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Odidigboigbo(m): 3:39pm On Jul 11
senatordave1:

Honestly,sheriff has been a failure so far.okowa at least concentrated in roads, healthcare and stabilized the polity while developing delta north.ibori influence was minimal.sheriff is like a disgrace for the civilized and highly educated urhobos race.Agehe may have been better
Something tells me you are from Ugheli axis, Okodo is doing a fantastic Job in Warri, Okpe and its environs
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by senatordave1(m): 3:47pm On Jul 11
Odidigboigbo:
Something tells me you are from Ugheli axis, Okodo is doing a fantastic Job in Warri, Okpe and its environs
He is from Okpebholo na.if he tries in Warri,then that's enough
I am not from delta.it is still a mystery how okowa failed to deliver Atiku in delta.even the failure called Ayade delivered Apc.it seems okowa only knows how to play state politics.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by deanoffaculty: 3:47pm On Jul 11
SamuelOamen:

https://thenationonlineng.net/just-in-supreme-court-bars-fg-from-paying-allocations-to-lgs-with-unelected-officials/
Best news of the week!!
Those state Governors are devils and they are one of those major problems we have in country.
It's better this way.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by BondRiv: 3:50pm On Jul 11
As some of us have consistently stated here in line with the constitution, but miscreants and agents of doom refused to accept.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Paramount01(m): 3:54pm On Jul 11
Lifemanage:

For where? All local government chairmen are thieves too...

But we know them, we know their father's house ,and don't forget,they don't have any immunity,they can be arrested while been a chairman

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Odidigboigbo(m): 4:03pm On Jul 11
senatordave1:

He is from Okpebholo na.if he tries in Warri,then that's enough
I am not from delta.it is still a mystery how okowa failed to deliver Atiku in delta.even the failure called Ayade delivered Apc.it seems okowa only knows how to play state politics.
National politics is over; but to correct your submission, APC did not win Cross River in the presidential elections but Labour party. The only state APC won in SS in the presidential election was Rivers State.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by sumboty: 4:05pm On Jul 11
Ebubu2:
What of LGA elections conducted by INEC ?

Yes what about INEC conducting the LG election? This is the most important and the first thing, else this judgement will achieve nothing....

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by senatordave1(m): 4:09pm On Jul 11
Odidigboigbo:
National politics is over; but to correct your submission, APC did not win Cross River in the presidential elections but Labour party. The only state APC won in SS in the presidential election was Rivers State.

Okowa can still vie for 2027 VP ticket with atiku or the presidential ticket itself.dont forget he is eyeing nwoko's seat and has taken over as the new Ibori...
APC lost CRS officially but it was a strategic victory as lp won narrowly.apc were not even expected to get 25% but it even beat pdp and cleared the Nass seats without undue rigging and coercion like in rivers.
Tinubu won rivers but the party failed in other contests
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Odidigboigbo(m): 4:30pm On Jul 11
senatordave1:

Okowa can still vie for 2027 VP ticket with atiku or the presidential ticket itself.dont forget he is eyeing nwoko's seat and has taken over as the new Ibori...
APC lost CRS officially but it was a strategic victory as lp won narrowly.apc were not even expected to get 25% but it even beat pdp and cleared the Nass seats without undue rigging and coercion like in rivers.
Tinubu won rivers but the party failed in other contests
There was an issue with Cross Rivers PDP that was why APC was able to make inroad in CR. APC didn't will all NASS seat in CR; even Ayede himself lost to PDP for senate.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by VanuatuWycombe: 4:35pm On Jul 11
Tboysalau:

I co-ask
Cause FG will be paying directly to the LG
So is implementation going to be an issue
There is nothing like implementation issue here.

It has always been like that before governors started cornering LG’s money.

Implementation is as simple as ABC. As LG’s find is coming from Federation Account, it goes directly into a bank account already provided by such local government.

It may take time before we see little impact though, because council chairmen would use the opportunity to !00t, but it’s going to be different from being under state governors.

It will also reduce state governors’ dominance on their states because LG’s jugulars have been freed from their oppressors.
Between 1993 and 1999, LG were fairly run.

Those we still have to watch out for are all Directors (D..) of anything. And their Deputy Directors (DD). They are wo!ves in human skin.

We were lucky to escape those DDs because they had nothing to ste@! when their allocations were being sent to state governors.

I am sure junior officers in local governments will be happy and be warming up to start/resume !ootings.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by VanuatuWycombe: 4:48pm On Jul 11
lomprico:

Which soup? Lol

This court case in not about fubara

😁😁. Your question makes me laugh.

May be Oha soup.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by Deltatoto: 4:50pm On Jul 11
Yankee101:
It’s the only way real development can happen. I hope it is implemented
real development will not happen bro.real stealing will now start at the LG level.make u try understand Nigeria for once.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by sagitariusbaby(m): 4:51pm On Jul 11
oshiokpu:

I see that you’re as stupid and idiotic as the person you’re attempting to defend. This case was initiated on the 26th of May and judgement was expedited in a manner not seen before in the judicial circle. One will even expect that you do a little search before displaying your idiocy and foolery in public but I’m not surprised. Jumping into a mention that didn’t carry your name is enough proof of your idiocy!
keep fooling yourself thinking Fubara is the target. Fubara isn't in this picture because Rivers state also fixed a date for elections while states like Kogi and Anambra has not had Local government elections in over a decade. The former local government administrators of rivers state were not removed by Fubara but their legal tenure came to an end, Fubara only fought against their tenure extention which is the right thing anyone in his position would do.
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by biina: 5:23pm On Jul 11
Philipponzaghi:
Kudos to FG for upholding the rule of law and promoting democracy in local government administration!
which law are they upholding when they are actually flouting the constitution which is the supreme law of the land?

The high level of 'mumurity' and 'mugunism' of Nigerians undecided
Re: Supreme Court Bars FG From Paying Allocations To LGs With Unelected Officials by tope777(m): 5:25pm On Jul 11
oshiokpu:

I see that you’re as stupid and idiotic as the person you’re attempting to defend. This case was initiated on the 26th of May and judgement was expedited in a manner not seen before in the judicial circle. One will even expect that you do a little search before displaying your idiocy and foolery in public but I’m not surprised. Jumping into a mention that didn’t carry your name is enough proof of your idiocy!

President of idiots calling another person idiot.
You're the one suppose to read more and do more research.
This case is against 36 states in Nigeria not against Rivers State.
19 states in Nigeria currently using Caretaker Committee in their LGAs not only in Rivers State.
Wke up from your slumber, stop disgracing yourself in public.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Saraki Was Actually Stoned In Illorin..punch Newspaper / 'Just A Mild Misstep' - Tinubu's Aide, Olusegun Dada Downplays Slip / Five PDP Governors​ Join Sheriff's Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.