Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,775 members, 7,889,486 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 01:35 PM

Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land (650 Views)

Lagos Stopped Being The Capital Of Nigeria 31 Years Ago / Ugwuanyi Direct Council Chairmen, Neighborhood Watch, Others To Man Land Borders / APC To PDP Defection: No Man Of Honour Will Return To His Vomit - Oshiomole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 2:14pm On Jul 11
Lagos which was once known as Eko ceased from being a Yoruba land in 1861.
The name Lagos was given to the land by the Portuguese in the 15th century and it means lakes,or lagoons the name seemed fit for the place because Lagos is surrounded by water.

When the British came to Lagos in the 1800s there was some problems in the land one of which was that the ruler then,Oba Oluwole had died and his vacant throne was battled for by two powerful men,akintoye and kosoko.

Akintoye won this battle and became the Oba of Lagos but after a short time he was overthrowned by Kosoko, akintoye went into exile in badagry where he met British missionaries who were new in the land,he told them his story and pleaded for assistance from them so they called on the British consul,Beecroft to help akintoye with the British military to take back his throne.

Beecroft invaded Lagos with the British navy and subdued the land forcing Oba Kosoko to run away into exile, stating reasons that the Lagos King was still participating in the abolished slave trade.

When they defeated Oba Kosoko, they reinstalled Akintoye as the new Oba and signed a treaty with him to allow them (the British) to be free and protected in the land as they went about their buisness.

Oba Akintoye unlike Oba Kosoko was weak and agreeable to the British and this made them so powerful in Lagos.

In 1853,Oba Akintoye died and the British installed his son Dosunmu as the new Oba.

Oba Dosunmu was as weak as his father Akintoye and wasn't able to completely stop slave trade among the people and so many problems erupted in the land which he couldn't control,the British realized that he was too weak and when they Heard that the french had made contact with the Oba of Lagos they decided to take over Lagos out of fear of the french.

Then,they made Oba Dosunmu to sign a treaty that Britain now owned Lagos and the British crown be recognized as the supreme one in Lagos displacing the Obas crown.

Dosunmu signed the treaty in 1861 and from then onwards Lagos became a colony of Britain and ceased to be Yoruba land but a British land.

Before the British left in 1960, so many Nigerians had migrated to Lagos from other states that Yoruba couldn't even be understood by all lagosians anymore.

There were too many Igbos, Hausa,and calabars living in Lagos and doing buisness freely that the Yorubas lost dominance over Lagos and the issue has worsened for them since then till this day.

A walk in any street of Lagos today lets you know that it's now a multicultural state and not more a Yoruba land anymore.

They've lost so much power and are still losing power over the land that all have realized that they can't regain the land anymore and that is why we call it no man's land today.

Because no tribe owns it anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Thiefobi1: 2:18pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:
The name Lagos was given to the land by the Portuguese in the 15th century and it means lakes,or lagoons the name seemed fit for the place because Lagos is surrounded by water.

When the British came to Lagos in the 1800s there was some problems in the land one of which was that the ruler then,Oba Oluwole had died and his vacant throne was battled for by two powerful men,akintoye and kosoko.

Akintoye won this battle and became the Oba of Lagos but after a short time he was overthrowned by Kosoko, akintoye went into exile in badagry where he met British missionaries who were new in the land,he told them his story and pleaded for assistance from them so they called on the British consul,Beecroft to help akintoye with the British military to take back his throne.

Beecroft invaded Lagos with the British navy and subdued the land forcing Oba Kosoko to run away into exile, stating reasons that the Lagos King was still participating in the abolished slave trade.

When they defeated Oba Kosoko, they reinstalled Akintoye as the new Oba and signed a treaty with him to allow them (the British) to be free and protected in the land as they went about their buisness.

Oba Akintoye unlike Oba Kosoko was weak and agreeable to the British and this made them so powerful in Lagos.

In 1853,Oba Akintoye died and the British installed his son Dosunmu as the new Oba.

Oba Dosunmu was as weak as his father Akintoye and wasn't able to completely stop slave trade among the people and so many problems erupted in the land which he couldn't control,the British realized that he was too weak and when they Heard that the french had made contact with the Oba of Lagos they decided to take over Lagos out of fear of the french.

Then,they made Oba Dosunmu to sign a treaty that Britain now owned Lagos and the British crown be recognized as the supreme one in Lagos displacing the Obas crown.

Dosunmu signed the treaty in 1861 and from then onwards Lagos became a colony of Britain and ceased to be Yoruba land but a British land.

Before the British left in 1960, so many Nigerians had migrated to Lagos from other states that Yoruba couldn't even be understood by all lagosians anymore.

There were too many Igbos, Hausa,and calabars living in Lagos and doing buisness freely that the Yorubas lost dominance over Lagos and the issue has worsened for them since then till this day.

A walk in any street of Lagos today lets you know that it's now a multicultural state and not more a Yoruba land anymore.

They've lost so much power and are still losing power over the land that all have realized that they can't regain the land anymore and that is why we call it no man's land today.

Your opinion is irrelevant.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Remman(m): 2:23pm On Jul 11
I'm an Ikwerre man and i know what it means for people to want to claim your land from you. I believe that Lagos is Yoruba land. I mean, it's clearly so. The people saying otherwise are just trying to be funny like the Biafrans claiming Ikwerre land.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by sIfioksq: 2:24pm On Jul 11
The resilience and strong cultural heritage of the Yoruba people has greatly contributed to the beauty and diversity of Lagos, making it a

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 2:26pm On Jul 11
Remman:
I'm an Ikwerre man and i know what it means for people to want to claim your land from you. I believe that Lagos is Yoruba land. I mean, it's clearly so. The people saying otherwise are just trying to be funny like the Biafrans claiming Ikwerre land.
There's nothing like an ikwerre man. Ikwerre isn't a tribe but a land just like Onitsha or asaba.
You're simply an Igbo man.

You speak Igbo and not ikwerre

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by OmotolaDiego(f): 2:27pm On Jul 11
Ebimpawa ooo Tinubu

Patronize us today 💯

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by rickpat(m): 2:29pm On Jul 11
all these foolish talks are the reasons politicians are free to be misbehaving,time Nigerians will use to keep politicians on their toes,they will rather spend it on foolery on the internet

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Funkyswagzz(m): 2:39pm On Jul 11
Remman:

Oga stop talking this nonsense no one is claiming your land. If people in southeast are claiming your land why haven't they started fight to take it. I don't know why Nigerians like to speak by imagination. Oga no one is claiming your land and if you don't want to be part of igbo no problem but pls make sure you stop speaking Igbo and practice there culture period. When the time comes you will be ignored like you never existed this is a matter of choice not by force.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by confusedlady(f): 2:43pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:

😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 Lol....
You were being honest and historical until you got to the bolded,then your DNA kicked in......

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 2:47pm On Jul 11
confusedlady:

😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 🤣 Lol....
You were being honest and historical until you got to the bolded,then your DNA kicked in......
what's dishonest in the bolded?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by confusedlady(f): 2:49pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:
what's dishonest in the bolded?

There is only one tribe in Nigeria that is unrivalled in their propensity to turn white into black and you belong to it. Like I said,it's in your DNA....

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 2:51pm On Jul 11
confusedlady:

There is only one tribe in Nigeria that is unrivalled in their propensity to turn white into black and you belong to it. Like I said,it's in your DNA....
you don't have a point.
However I'm ready for a good argument whenever you do

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Goodvibes007: 2:52pm On Jul 11
Ibos and rubbish threads are conjoined twins.

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by CyrusVI: 2:58pm On Jul 11
Ok. Thats right

Sometimes, I wonder what would have really happened if Lagos was actually where the current Ondo state is. If Lagos had shared boundary with any other Non-SW state in Nigeria, only God knows what would have happened

OP, Once again, You are right. Just wondering why almost 160years later,You guys havent really been able to dilute their culture and traditions with that of other 250 ethnic groups laying claims to it

160years is a whole lot

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 3:05pm On Jul 11
CyrusVI:
Ok. Thats right

Sometimes, I wonder what would have really happened if Lagos was actually where the current Ondo state is. If Lagos had shared boundary with any other Non-SW state in Nigeria, only God knows what would have happened

OP, Once again, You are right. Just wondering why almost 160years later,You guys havent really been able to dilute their culture and traditions with that of other 250 ethnic groups laying claims to it

160years is a whole lot

Dilution of their culture and traditions would have been the result of the Yorubas were a little more dominant but that didn't happen.
What happened was domination not dilution.

The Yorubas have dropped so many of their foods for Igbo foods and have have taken some of Igbo words as language.

However they still hold on to their music and dressing to this day.

If Lagos was connected to a SE or SS state, it would have completely lost it's yorubaness today

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by opamoses1: 3:06pm On Jul 11
People should check out the username of the OP. grin

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by confusedlady(f): 3:30pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:
you don't have a point.
However I'm ready for a good argument whenever you do

😆 🤣 😂 😹 😆 Lol.....I will pass up the offer to waste my time...thanks but no thanks....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by CyrusVI: 3:30pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:

Dilution of their culture and traditions would have been the result of the Yorubas were a little more dominant but that didn't happen.
What happened was domination not dilution.

The Yorubas have dropped so many of their foods for Igbo foods and have have taken some of Igbo words as language.

However they still hold on to their music and dressing to this day.

If Lagos was connected to a SE or SS state, it would have completely lost it's yorubaness today

Lol...Yorubas dropped their food for igbos?? cheesy cheesy cheesy

And u mean others have now totally dominated the culture so much that Lagos has lost her 'Yorubaness'??

Is that what u mean bro. Like its currently hard to see any traces of Yoruba culture and tradition in Lagos?

CC OneCandleAway, na wetin dey always give u e-rection be this. Pseudo-Yoruba person

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by adeniyiemmanuel(m): 3:40pm On Jul 11
Remman:
can u imagine those maggot landgrabbers showcasing their foolishness to the public? The same way u guy took u madness to South Africa...

Wch resorted to xenophobic attacks... Can a sane Yorba man wakes up & start saying a Abia is no man's land?
I honestly did not know why u guys are so obsessed with Lagos.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Raf4: 3:44pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:

When you have an inordinate craving for another man's property, it always leads you into bipolar disorder like this

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by raskymonojendor: 3:48pm On Jul 11
adeniyiemmanuel:
can u imagine those maggot landgrabbers showcasing their foolishness to the public? The same way u guy took u madness to South Africa...

Wch resorted to xenophobic attacks... Can a sane Yorba man wakes up & start saying a Abia is no man's land?
I honestly did not know why u guys are so obsessed with Lagos.
You quoted the wrong guy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by christistruth01: 3:54pm On Jul 11
Fake News

This was from the the British Colonial Governor of Lagos
Sir Alfred Moloney confirming Lagos was Yorubaland in

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by christistruth01: 3:58pm On Jul 11
We will continue to remind you that it was after Lagos was already the most important important Port in
West Africa as the Commercial Capital of Yorubaland and the main Port used by Northern Nigeria that
the British Empire turned up in 1851

Both Herbert Macauley and sir alfred moloney the British Colonial Governor Confirmed that Lagos was
Yorubaland In 1890

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by christistruth01: 3:58pm On Jul 11
grin
Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by OneCandleAway(f): 3:58pm On Jul 11
CyrusVI:

Lol...Yorubas dropped their food for igbos?? cheesy cheesy cheesy

And u mean others have now totally dominated the culture so much that Lagos has lost her 'Yorubaness'??

Is that what u mean bro. Like its currently hard to see any traces of Yoruba culture and tradition in Lagos?

CC OneCandleAway, na wetin dey always give u e-rection be this. Pseudo-Yoruba person

Comment on my thread of how people are now begging for head of fish that used to be reserved for dogs during PDP era. Don't bring me to this useless thread.
Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by BentizilL0: 3:59pm On Jul 11
Igbo and claiming other people land.. Few minutes later, they'll start shouting when did they claim Lagos or say it's not yorubaland..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by christistruth01: 4:05pm On Jul 11
Raf4:

When you have an inordinate craving for another man's property, it always leads you into bipolar disorder like this

Didn’t Ojukwu try to seize Ore and Okitipupa after kidnapping the Midwest

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by AcadaWriter2: 4:13pm On Jul 11
People and rubbish threads are conjoined twins. ... Hmm, need help with your academic papers? Contact us.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 4:17pm On Jul 11
christistruth01:
Fake News

This was from the the British Colonial Governor of Lagos
Sir Alfred Moloney confirming Lagos was Yorubaland in
looking at the map we see that that is not a map of Nigeria but that of Africa which was probably sketched for the British to show the length of Yoruba speaking people of Africa.

The reason should be the fact that Yoruba as a language was something that the British had learnt in the 1800s to be able to communicate with the Yoruba speakers in Africa.

The map was sketched for colonial purposes,to show what lands they wouldn't have a language barrier in if armed with the Yoruba language

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by paramakina202: 4:17pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:

The more thoughtless people like you write about Lagos being a no mans land the more Yoruba Ronu nationalist will consolidate their hold on Lagos state make it even more Yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by Sarcastic101: 4:24pm On Jul 11
christistruth01:
We will continue to remind you that it was after Lagos was already the most important important Port in
West Africa as the Commercial Capital of Yorubaland and the main Port used by Northern Nigeria that
the British Empire turned up in 1851

Both Herbert Macauley and sir alfred moloney the British Colonial Governor Confirmed that Lagos was
Yorubaland In 1890

I like that you spoke about the then British governor.

Now do you know that Lagos had no British governor until Oba Dosunmu signed the document that handed Lagos over to the British in 1861?

Before then Lagos was indirectly controlled by the British through the Oba.

The first British governor wazs installed after 1861 and he had more power than any Oba.

If the British had more power over the Yorubas in the land would you call it a Yoruba land or a British land

1 Like

Re: Lagos Stopped Being A Yoruba Land In 1861; How It Became No - Man's - Land by christistruth01: 4:27pm On Jul 11
Sarcastic101:

I like that you spoke about the then British governor.

Now do you know that Lagos had no British governor until Oba Dosunmu signed the document that handed Lagos over to the British in 1861?

Before then Lagos was indirectly controlled by the British through the Oba.

The first British governor wazs installed after 1861 and he had more power than any Oba.

If the British had more power over the Yorubas in the land would you call it a Yoruba land or a British land

Is Nigeria a No Man's Land because Nigeria had British Governor Generals?

By the way all of Lagos was handed back to Awolowo at independence

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mend Should Blow Off The Oil. / Briton Held In Nigeria 'refuses Freedom': Rebel Group(see Picture) / Greater Port Harcourt Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.