Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,629 members, 7,918,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 08:50 PM

Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! (1188 Views)

Can A Rented Apartment Contribute To The Downfall Or Growth Of A Tenant? / Struggles Of Living In A Rented Face Me & Face You Compound (meme Collection) / 7 Things You Should Not Do In A Rented Apartment In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by mdfash(m): 3:37pm On Jul 11
The tenant who incurred this N2M Nepa debt in one of my houses, was renting an apartment for N250k per annum. And Ikeja Electric allowed him to rack up this bill. Tenant packed out. They are asking me to pay almost all his rent for 10 years as meter debt!

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by DMerciful01(m): 3:38pm On Jul 11
Hmm...thats why some people will die as a tenant, they can never progress in this life karma is real...how did ya think yo're gonna destroy someone's property and be succesfull thereafter...Never!!

10 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by coolcharm(m): 3:53pm On Jul 11
Was he running a factory from his apartment?

If it's estimated biling, you can drag them to court.

2 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by ElevationD: 3:55pm On Jul 11
How can one believe this story? Is that apartment, a factory or is the building a hotel? How can one believe that a small apartment can rack up such amount and IKEDC allowed such debt? Surely this must be wrong information.

However, if it is true that such a bill was incurred, involving the Police would go a long way. One thing is certain; IKEDC will demand their money completely.

5 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by thesicilian: 3:58pm On Jul 11
The tenant should be traced and taken to court to settle his bills, estimated billing or not getting should come and sort it out himself. It's because of people like him that good people are finding life more and more difficult everyday
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Caramia2020(m): 4:07pm On Jul 11
I don't think I will agree to pay such amount besides why will they allow the tenant to use the service without paying all through the 10 months? Estimated ke!

1 Like

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by RoyalBlu(f): 4:38pm On Jul 11
Caramia2020:
I don't think I will agree to pay such amount besides why will they allow the tenant to use the service without paying all through the 10 months? Estimated ke!

From what the OP wrote, that's the total bill for 10 years.

10 years!!!

Some people get mind o. I'm suspecting the tenant bypassed his meter.

If not ... How did the bill pile up to this level

2 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Holluwhakemmy(f): 5:25pm On Jul 11
This is serious, is the landlord not awared about the bill for good 10yrs before the tenant packed out?. That means no inspection from the landlord throughout the tenant period in that house.

1 Like

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Smitaro100(m): 5:40pm On Jul 11
Tenant from hell. undecided
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by lanocfoods: 5:47pm On Jul 11
thesicilian:
The tenant should be traced and taken to court to settle his bills, estimated billing or not getting should come and sort it out himself. It's because of people like him that good people are finding life more and more difficult everyday
Now now you don believe that thing

3 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Kaczynski: 6:59pm On Jul 11
My electric bill don parse 20 billion

From my solar farm to crypto farm running 24/7

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by DesChyko: 7:03pm On Jul 11
That bill divided by 120 months is 17k+ per month. Do you mean that bill is actually for an apartment or the combined bill of 4 flats. More impressive is how they left the structure running on free power with that humongous bill 🤔

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by igborilla: 8:14pm On Jul 11
What tribe is the tenant?
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by tanigororo: 8:54pm On Jul 11
I thought their ought to be a cap on estimated bill
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Emmabyte: 8:56pm On Jul 11
Who will talk about the depth buhari left us with
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by safarifarms(m): 9:56pm On Jul 11
mdfash:
The tenant who incurred this N2M Nepa debt in one of my houses, was renting an apartment for N250k per annum. And Ikeja Electric allowed him to rack up this bill. Tenant packed out. They are asking me to pay almost all his rent for 10 years as meter debt!
What must have been happening here is that their staff will be collecting small tips from the tenant and allow the tenant to continue having light without disconnection.
Report to NERC. That is Ikeja Electric's loss. By NERC's laws they are not allowed to transfer an old tenant's backlock to another. It's their responsibility to disconnect an owing customer to prevent bill accumulation. They can't ask you to bear responsibility for their irresponsibility.

2 Likes

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by ExudeLoveToAll: 10:37pm On Jul 11
DMerciful01:
Hmm...thats why some people will die as a tenant, they can never progress in this life karma is real...how did ya think yo're gonna destroy someone's property and be succesfull thereafter...Never!!

You are not asking relevant questions before exuding your thoughts.

1. How long has the tenant stayed in his facility?
2. What was the original bill on the post paid meter before the tenant packed in?
3. What is the monthly estimated bills given to that flat before and after he entered the flat?
4. Was he paying electricity bills during the pendency of his stay if yes how much?
5. Has the tenant complained to the landlord about his exorbitant bills and wether that has been the status quo if yes what has the landlord done to rectify billing associated with his flat?

Answers to all of these questions will help you decifer where the problem is coming from. It would be foolish for a tenant to pay electricity bill for such house at the rate of 100k per month for example leading to accumulation of bills over a period of time.
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by olurotimi(m): 1:46am On Jul 12
That seems like overbilling for a small flat, the charge per kilowat should be reviewed and amended.
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by ceejayluv(m): 8:56am On Jul 12
As a landlord, did you provide a working meter in the apartment? And did you find out if he was being given estimated bills?
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by ravensckar(m): 9:36am On Jul 12
RoyalBlu:

10 years!!!

It's definitely estimated billing and the PHCN staff are complicit as well. I once witnessed a friend getting a bill of 320K for a month. The guy nearly killed the PHCN guy that delivered it. cheesy cheesy

Firstly, they will bring outrageous bills (let's say 220K in a month) and advice the tennant to pay whatever he/she can afford. angry angry

For some months, they would be content with the tennant settling them with 10K rather than pay into the company account. That's how the debt will keep piling.

There's no way a person can rack up that amount of debt on a prepaid metre.
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Trimjos: 9:41am On Jul 12
RoyalBlu:

10 years!!!

Read well.

The tenant didn't stay in the house for 10 years.

The op only stated that NEPA wants him to pay the equivalent of 10years rent of his Tennant to clear off the debt
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by dominique(f): 10:58am On Jul 12
That tenant alone did not accumulate that bill, several other tenants that stayed in the apartment prior to him also added to the debt. The landlord was too nonchalant to follow it up, he'll have to bear part of the costs else he won't be able to reconnect the power and rent out the apartment.

1 Like

Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by Sirhush(m): 11:12am On Jul 12
This is the reason why some set of people will never make it in life, cos with this kind act the tenant may not make it angry angry
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by RoyalBlu(f): 1:10pm On Jul 12
Trimjos:

Read well.

The tenant didn't stay in the house for 10 years.

The op only stated that NEPA wants him to pay the equivalent of 10years rent of his Tennant to clear off the debt

Oh! I see what you mean now. Merci!

The tenant's rent for 10 years is almost equivalent to the humongous electric bill 😲.

Can't help but still wonder for how long the tenant skipped paying his bills.
Re: Tenant Rented N250k Flat, Left N2M Electric Bill! by LoveJesus87(m): 2:38pm On Jul 12
safarifarms:

What must have been happening here is that their staff will be collecting small tips from the tenant and allow the tenant to continue having light without disconnection.
Report to NERC. That is Ikeja Electric's loss. By NERC's laws they are not allowed to transfer an old tenant's backlock to another. It's their responsibility to disconnect an owing customer to prevent bill accumulation. They can't ask you to bear responsibility for their irresponsibility.
wow. If this is true, den so much better

(1) (Reply)

Acres Of Land At Jakande Estate Abesan, Ipaja, Lagos With C Of O / 5 Bedroom Duplex + Swimming Pool In Lekkki 1 : N 170m ( pic's includ'd ) / ** 4 Bedroom Duplex In Lekki 1... N 4.5m P/a . ( + Pix's ) **

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.