Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,159 members, 7,890,928 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:43 AM

Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe (7187 Views)

FG Names Abuja Expressway After Chinua Achebe / Soludo Renames Anambra International Airport After Chinua Achebe / I Disagree With Chinua Achebe, The Trouble With Nigeria Is Not Politicians, But (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Tellmeastory: 5:04pm On Jul 13
The FG must name something big in this country after the legendary Professor Chinua Achebe.

I am a great fan and reader of Wole Soyinka, by the way, so this is not based on any beef with the great Nobel-winning writer, who certainly earned the right to have the National Theatre named after him by President Tinubu.

But we must not put Chinua Achebe, the Booker Prize winning author of Africa’s greatest novel, Things Fall Apart, in the position of the proverbial lizard of his great book who fell from the tall iroko tree, and promised to praise himself if no one else did.

That book is Required Reading in the curricula of schools all over the world, from Kenya to the USA.

It has been translated into over 100 languages worldwide, and remains till date, the biggest selling novel by an African, bringing great honour to Nigeria.

Achebe was also an erudite advocate for good governance and govt accountability.

According to wiki

“Chinua Achebe…. was a Nigerian novelist, poet, and critic who is regarded as a central figure of modern African literature. His first novel and magnum opus, Things Fall Apart (1958), occupies a pivotal place in African literature and remains the most widely studied, translated, and read African novel.

Along with Things Fall Apart, his No Longer at Ease (1960) and Arrow of God (1964) complete the "African Trilogy".

Later novels include A Man of the People (1966) and Anthills of the Savannah (1987).

In the West, Achebe is often referred to as the "father of African literature", although he vigorously rejected the characterization.“

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinua_Achebe

……..

Gentlemen, we must honour this man.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by IduNaOba: 5:06pm On Jul 13
He must not.
We ndịgbo does not care either.
Life goes on

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by sIfioksq: 5:08pm On Jul 13
Dem Obedients go always find fault, Tinubu dey do well for Naija.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Tellmeastory: 5:12pm On Jul 13
sIfioksq:
Dem Obedients go always find fault, Tinubu dey do well for Naija.

I am not an Obidient.

I realise this forum is a cesspit of tribalism and hatred, but I’m not part of your pigsty.

I’m just a normal Nigerian passing through.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by fergie001: 5:12pm On Jul 13
Always bringing threads that will cause strife and all that.

Was this necessary?

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by christistruth01: 5:13pm On Jul 13
What if his family rejects it?

86 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by MhisterJay(m): 5:13pm On Jul 13
Wetin I go talk self?
Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by EreluRoz: 5:13pm On Jul 13
fergie001:

Was this necessary?
Delete it, don't you have that power?

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by yarimo(m): 5:13pm On Jul 13
Tellmeastory:
The FG must name something big in this country after the legendary Professor Chinua Achebe.

I am a great fan and reader of Wole Soyinka, by the way, so this is not based on any beef with the great Nobel-winning writer, who certainly earned the right to have the National Theatre named after him by President Tinubu.

But we must not put Chinua Achebe, the Booker Prize winning author of Africa’s greatest novel, Things Fall Apart, in the position of the proverbial lizard of his great book who fell from the tall iroko tree, and promised to praise himself if no one else did.

That book is Required Reading in the curricula of schools all over the world, from Kenya to the USA.

It has been translated into over 100 languages worldwide, and remains till date, the biggest selling novel by an African, bringing great honour to Nigeria.

Achebe was also an erudite advocate for good governance and govt accountability.

According to wiki

“Chinua Achebe…. was a Nigerian novelist, poet, and critic who is regarded as a central figure of modern African literature. His first novel and magnum opus, Things Fall Apart (1958), occupies a pivotal place in African literature and remains the most widely studied, translated, and read African novel.

Along with Things Fall Apart, his No Longer at Ease (1960) and Arrow of God (1964) complete the "African Trilogy".

Later novels include A Man of the People (1966) and Anthills of the Savannah (1987).

In the West, Achebe is often referred to as the "father of African literature", although he vigorously rejected the characterization.“

……..

nobody is stopping you from honouring him

89 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Tellmeastory: 5:15pm On Jul 13
yarimo:
nobody is stopping you from honouring him

I was referring to national honours.

Surely you know the difference.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Ttalk: 5:15pm On Jul 13
The coastal road that covers 8 States would be named after him though some people vehemently opposed the construction of the road

69 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Ofemannnu: 5:16pm On Jul 13
lol
I remember when our Igbo brohers were fighting for Achebe to be given the Nobel laurel post humously grin
It is never done,they dont give after death and it is not given for being a best seller either.
James Hadley Chase had 90 titles and 50 were best sellers but he never won the Nobel prize,so also were others.
It is for classical writers not everyday story teller.

Truthfully,Chinua Achebe must be honoured by Tinubu.
He deserves being honoured.He was a great writer.

26 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Tellmeastory: 5:19pm On Jul 13
christistruth01:

What if his family rejects it?

The federal government does not require or seek the consent of a citizen’s family prior to conferring him or her with national honours.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Goodvibes007: 5:21pm On Jul 13
Tellmeastory:

According to wiki

……..

Maybe they can find a monument in the SE and name Achiebe after it.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by yarimo(m): 5:21pm On Jul 13
Tellmeastory:

I was referring to national honours.

Surely you know the difference.

read what you wrote in your last paragraph for you to claim I know the difference

62 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Quintessence44: 5:36pm On Jul 13
Goodvibes007:

Maybe they can find a monument in the SE and name Achebe after it.

Has to be a federal project.

Perhaps the 2nd Niger Bridge?

It would be quite an honour because that bridge cost nearly 2 billion dollars. Huge project.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by DMerciful(m): 5:43pm On Jul 13
Why are you worrying about dead people?

Focus on the living! Chinua Achebe has no knowledge of whats going on
Tellmeastory:

According to wiki

……..

9 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Philipponzaghi: 5:44pm On Jul 13
Na so Tinubu dey honour great men, unlike PDP wey dey only honour thief like Diezani and Ibori.

59 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Quintessence44: 5:47pm On Jul 13
DMerciful:

Actually you are wrong.

So called dead people are alive in another dimension.

They are more alive than you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by DeLaRue: 5:50pm On Jul 13
There is no compulsion to it, so using the word 'must' is unnecessary.

If Mr Tinubu doesn't honour him, it is not an issue. Another President can honour him if they wish.

There were President's before Mr Tinubu who did not honour Mr Soyinka. I suspect his attaining the rare age of 90 helped to bring the need to name a national monument after him to the fore.

This is not a competition.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by JohnnA1: 5:53pm On Jul 13
fergie001:

Was this necessary?
That's IGBO MAN for you undecided

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by DMerciful(m): 5:53pm On Jul 13
Then let them be alive in that dimension. There's no difference between a dead man and a dead cat or stone in this dimension.

Focus on the living
Quintessence44:

Actually you are wrong.

So called dead people are alive in another dimension.

They are more alive than you.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by raskymonojendor: 5:55pm On Jul 13
DMerciful:

😂 True true

7 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by omowolewa: 5:56pm On Jul 13
Like 2nd Niger Bridge
Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Quintessence44: 6:02pm On Jul 13
DMerciful:
Then let them be alive in that dimension. There's no difference between a dead man and a dead cat or stone in this dimension.

Focus on the living

So if Soyinka had passed away, you would have opposed the naming of the National Theatre after him?

I mean, your point is senseless.

We have post humous awards aplenty worldwide.
Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by DMerciful(m): 6:07pm On Jul 13
Once a man is dead, thats the end of it all, he has no awareness and cannot appreciate anything.

I'd prefer to spend money on orphanage than to use it for awards
Quintessence44:

So if Soyinka had passed away, you would have opposed the naming of the National Theatre after him?

I mean, your point is senseless.

We have post humous awards aplenty worldwide.

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by tishbite42: 6:08pm On Jul 13
Igbos should get Biafra and honor those we want to honor
How do you expect Tinubu to honor Achebe. That's laughable
Achebe sef no go accept such honor

3 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Chinkoalhaji34: 6:13pm On Jul 13
Dat one go show say Tinubu sabi value ogbonge pipo like Achebe. Naija go beta wit am.
Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by Gajagojo: 6:14pm On Jul 13
Tellmeastory:

According to wiki

……..

Must it be Tinubu
There will be other presidents

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu Must Name Something Big After Chinua Achebe by UnitedKingdom: 6:16pm On Jul 13
Tellmeastory:

I am not an Obidient.

I realise this forum is a cesspit of tribalism and hatred, but I’m not part of your pigsty.

I’m just a normal Nigerian passing through.

Everybody to Yoro Muslim are Igbo and Obident. Same way they called me Omo igbo

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

30 Killed In Soldiers, Boko Haram Gun Fight / It's Official, Shekau Is Dead: Boko Haram's New Video Shows Someone Else (PIC) / B’haram Leader, Shekau Has A Message For Nnamdi Kanu, IPOB In Latest Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.