Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,464 members, 7,917,404 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 05:31 AM

How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? (928 Views)

Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria / Is Agitation The Only Way Ethnic Groups Can Get Power In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Tellmeastory: 9:01am On Jul 14
A casual visitor to this forum will easily assume that there are only 3 ethnic groups in Nigeria -Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

Nobody ever talks about the other 297 ethnic groups in the country, many of whom number millions of people.

The ones I can name without Google are:

Itsekiri
Urhobo
Efik
Annang
Ogoni
Berom
Mwaghavul
Shanga
Kanuri
Tiv
Edo

Just 11 out of 297!

Quite poor, I must say!

Please name the ones you know. Without Google please!

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DarkLover: 9:11am On Jul 14
Fulani, Ijaw, Jukun, Gwari, Langtang, Kwale, Ikwerre, Bini, Tiv, Igede, Igwarra, Egbira, Nupe, Bariba, Urhobo, Esan, Basa, Idoma, Gbagi, Efik

I don try😃

7 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by nairalanda1(m): 9:33am On Jul 14
Jukun,kuteb,ijaw, kataf, tiv, idoma, igala, Edo, urhobo, itsekiri, ibibio, Efik, annang, ekoi-yakurr, kanuri, shuwa Arab, ogorri, bassa, bariba, koma, mambilla,angas, birom, gwari/gbagyi, igbirra/ebira, ogoni, eket, nupe, ekiti, Fulani, ikwerre, bura,

19 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Paraman: 9:36am On Jul 14
Ikwerre, Ika, Ukwani, Igbanke, Olukunmis in Aniocha north.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DamnnNiggarr: 9:42am On Jul 14
shocked

Hmmmm

Here are some of the tribes in Nigeria that I could come up with without googling:

Fulani, Ijaw, Kanuri, Nupe, Tiv, Urhobo, Edo, Ibibio, Efik, Igala, Idoma, Berom, Nupe, Tarok, Margi, Bura, Gbagyi, Anang, ibibio, jukun, ebira...

Paraman:
Ikwerre, Ika, Ukwani, Igbanke

Except for ikwere, all the others you mentioned are subgroups of the greater Igbo tribe.
BTW, are you trying to tell me that out of over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, it's only 4 that you could come up with? Something is fishy, if you ask me.
Leave Igbo subgroups and research about those unheard-of ethnic groups that are almost forgotten in Nigeria, so as to enlighten others.

9 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Tranquillity360: 9:49am On Jul 14
1.Ife

2. Ijebus

3. Aworis

4. Ilajes

5. Ijaws

6. Binis

7.Ibolo

8. Eguns

9. Isale Ekos

10. Egbas

11.oyos

12.Isale-Ekos

I think I tried

9 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Tellmeastory: 9:49am On Jul 14
nairalanda1:
Jukun,kuteb,ijaw, kataf, tiv, idoma, igala, Edo, urhobo, itsekiri, ibibio, Efik, annang, ekoi-yakurr, kanuri, shuwa Arab, ogorri, bassa, bariba, koma, mambilla,angas, birom, gwari/gbagyi, igbirra/ebira, ogoni, eket, nupe, ekiti, Fulani, ikwerre, bura,

Omo you tried o…

Nice one. 😊

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 9:50am On Jul 14
Awori
Okun
Ijebu
Ilorin

Paraman take note.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 9:51am On Jul 14
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

Hmmmm

Except for ikwere, all the others you mentioned are subgroups of the greater Igbo tribe.

He's only being mischievous, he wants to divide the Igbo desperately but fails daily.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Tellmeastory: 9:54am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:
Awori
Okun
Ijebu
Ilorin

Paraman take note.

Oga these ones all come under Yoruba.

We are talking of different ethnic groups with their own unique language and culture.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Ngwamankillyou2(m): 10:00am On Jul 14
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

Hmmmm

Igala
Nigeria has over 250 ethnic tribes, each with their own unique culture, language, and traditions. Here are some of the major tribes in Nigeria:

Ikwere included they are all Igbos.

Fulani, Ijaw, Kanuri, Nupe, Tiv, Urhobo, Edo, Ibibio, Efik, Igala, Idoma, Berom, Nupe, Tarok, Margi, Bura, Gbagyi, Anang, ibibio, jukun, ebira...

BTW, are you trying to tell me that out of over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, it's only 4 that you could come up with? Something is fishy, if you ask me.
Leave Igbo subgroups and research about those unheard of ethnic groups that are almost forgotten in Nigeria, so as to enlighten others.
Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Ngwamankillyou2(m): 10:01am On Jul 14
DamnnNiggarr:
shocked

Hmmmm

Igala
Nigeria has over 250 ethnic tribes, each with their own unique culture, language, and traditions. Here are some of the major tribes in Nigeria:

Leave Igbo subgroups and research about those unheard of ethnic groups that are almost forgotten in Nigeria, so as to enlighten others.

Ikwere included they are all Igbos.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DamnnNiggarr: 10:03am On Jul 14
Tellmeastory:

We are talking of different ethnic groups with their own unique language and culture.
I was expecting this type of correctional response to that user above, whom, despite the instruction that the Big 3 should be left out, went and listed all the subgroups of the Igbo tribe.

5 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:04am On Jul 14
Tellmeastory:

I did it for a reason, Paraman whom I mentioned understands.

4 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:05am On Jul 14
Tranquillity360:
1.Ife

2. Ijebus

3. Aworis

4. Ilajes

5. Ijaws

6. Binis

7.Ibolo

8. Eguns

9. Isale Ekos

10. Egbas

11.oyos

12.Isale-Ekos

I think I tried

Please don't forget the people of Ilorin. They are not Yoruba's.

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Paraman: 10:06am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:
Awori
Okun
Ijebu
Ilorin

Paraman take note.
Why do you want me to take note?

Ikwerre, Ika, Ukwani, Igbanke are the ones I know apart from Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo

Yee, let me add one more I just remember. The Olukunmis in Aniocha north even though they have a Yoruba origin

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Paraman: 10:06am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:

I don't understand
Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:07am On Jul 14
Paraman:
I don't understand

Are Aworis Yorubas and Ikwere non Igbo? Explain.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DamnnNiggarr: 10:09am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:

I thought I was the only one who noticed what that guy did there.

Weldon bro, for the swift response.

3 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by Paraman: 10:17am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:

Are Aworis Yorubas and Ikwere non Igbo? Explain.
I don't know about the Aworis.

But you see the Ikwerres, Ikas, Igbankes Ukwanis and Olukunmis are the ethnic group I know in Nigeria apart from Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa
Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DevilsEqual(m): 10:17am On Jul 14
Paraman:
Ikwerre, Ika, Ukwani, Igbanke, Olukunmis in Aniocha north.

I saw what u did there

U no dey amalgamate any group with another

You respect and recognize independent ethnic groups

God bless u my bro cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DarkLover: 10:18am On Jul 14
Guys up there, please, don't turn this beautiful thread into something else🙏🏾

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:19am On Jul 14
Paraman:
I don't know about the Aworis.

But you see the Ikwerres, Ikas, Igbankes Ukwanis and Olukunmis are the ethnic group I know in Nigeria apart from Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa
I know about the Aworis, they have warned Yoruba people to stop doing attachee by force on them. Do you know that the rest of Yoruba states invaded and conquered the awori in their own Lagos?

6 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DevilsEqual(m): 10:20am On Jul 14
vanbonattel:

Please don't forget the people of Ilorin. They are not Yoruba's.

Nah
It's not by what u think, it's by what is being recognized as independent groups

If ilorin aren't Yoruba, then they are prolly Fulani

There's no such ethnic groups as ilorin
U sure say una go school at all??
Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DarkLover: 10:21am On Jul 14
nairalanda1:

Ekiti isn’t a tribe, it’s one of the Yoruba states, and was created out of old Ondo state in 1996😀

I’m from Ekiti.

1 Like

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by DevilsEqual(m): 10:21am On Jul 14
nairalanda1:

Ekiti is an ethnic group??
Why u no mention Ondo?

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:22am On Jul 14
DevilsEqual:

Nah
It's not by what u think, it's by what is being recognized as independent groups

If ilorin aren't Yoruba, then they are prolly Fulani

There's no such ethnic groups as ilorin
U sure say una go school at all??

Recognized by who? grin

Ilorin cannot be forced to become Fulani's, don't confuse their genes, Ilorin is now a half cast tribe and now independent grin

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:24am On Jul 14
DevilsEqual:

Why u no mention Ondo?

Ekiti people don't speak Yoruba language, they have a different dialect which makes other Yoruba's avoid them.

They can be considered an ethnic group on their own to avoid the insults.

5 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:24am On Jul 14
DarkLover:

Ekiti isn’t a tribe, it’s one of the Yoruba states, and was created out of old Ondo state in 1996😀

I’m from Ekiti.

Ekiti people don't speak Yoruba language, they have a different dialect which makes other Yoruba's avoid them.

They can be considered an ethnic group on their own to avoid the insults.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by nairalanda1(m): 10:28am On Jul 14
DevilsEqual:

Why u no mention Ondo?

Yeah that's based on a story Farooq Kperogi told in one of his articles where he and some journalists were travelling in ekiti state and stopped to ask for directions in a village from an old man who didn't understand Farooq in Yoruba. It was a younger man who stepped in and stated that papa doesn't speak Yoruba but ekiti dialect/ language.?

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by vanbonattel: 10:30am On Jul 14
nairalanda1:

Yeah that's based on a story Farooq Kperogi told in one of his articles where he and some journalists were travelling in ekiti state and stopped to ask for directions in a village from an old man who didn't understand Farooq in Yoruba. It was a younger man who stepped in and stated that papa doesn't speak Yoruba but ekiti dialect/ language.?

Its a fact. Ekiti people have severally asked for a separate ethnic group because other Yoruba's are embarrassing them. Ekiti should be a tribe on its own.

2 Likes

Re: How Many Ethnic Groups Can You Name Outside The ‘Big 3’? by biaframaster200: 10:30am On Jul 14
Tellmeastory:
A casual visitor to this forum will easily assume that there are only 3 ethnic groups in Nigeria -Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba.

Nobody ever talks about the other 297 ethnic groups in the country, many of whom number millions of people.

The ones I can name without Google are:

Itsekiri
Urhobo
Efik
Annang
Ogoni
Berom
Mwaghavul
Shanga
Kanuri
Tiv
Edo

Just 11 out of 297!

Quite poor, I must say!

Please name the ones you know. Without Google please!

IpOB is also an ethnic group

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor's Mum Kidnapped! / Zimbabwe's Mugabe Celebrates Amidst 2,200% Inflation / Breaking News: Lagos House Impeach Pedro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.