Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,967 members, 7,890,185 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 10:39 AM

Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal (13235 Views)

Napoli's Supporters Chanting Osimhen's Name After His Late Goal Against Torino / 'I Want Argentina' - Neymar, As Brazil Goes Through To 2021 Copa América Final / Chelsea Players Celebrate Late Goal In Atletico Madrid Win (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 5:58am
Argentina won the 2024 Copa América championship 1-0 over Colombia after snatching victory with an extra-time goal in the 112th minute of a scoreless match.

Lautaro Martinez, who was the competition’s leading scorer with five goals, blasted a shot past Colombia goalie Camilo Vargas on a breakaway following a turnover.

Argentina, who were the defending champions of the tournament as well as World Cup winners in 2022, were the favorites of the tournament and never trailed during the competition.

But they were forced to win the title without arguably the sport’s greatest player when Lionel Messi was subbed out in the 66th minute with an ankle injury.

The game was marred by a delay of more than an hour after fans, many of whom didn’t have tickets, rushed the stadium and tried to get inside.

Video posted on social media showed fans, mostly wearing Colombia’s yellow and red colors, jumping over security railings near the southwest entrance of the stadium and running past police officers and stadium attendants. Screams could be heard in the background.

A handful of people could be seen receiving medical treatment and asking for water in the sweltering South Florida heat. Officers were able to push the crowd behind the gates and lock down the entrance so that no one could get inside, although plenty of fans with tickets had already made it to their seats before then.

Once the game got underway, Colombia started energetically and had several chances for the opening goal, testing Argentina’s goalie Emiliano Martínez.

Messi, arguably the greatest soccer player of all time, joined Inter Miami of Major League Soccer in 2023 after two seasons at Paris Saint-Germain and more than 20 at Barcelona.

The 37-year-old forward has bowed out of the upcoming 2024 Paris Olympics and the next World Cup is almost two years away.

The result broke Colombia’s 28-game international win streak that dates back to February 2022, also a loss to Argentina. Colombia played without defender Daniel Muñoz, who was sent off following an altercation and a second yellow card in the first half against Uruguay in Wednesday night’s semifinal.

NBC

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by Malroux: 6:00am
Messi is blessed.

111 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 6:00am
Congratulations to Argentina

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:06am
Messi went from being labeled as “an International failure” to achieving everything possible. Greatness.

[b]From heartbreak to heartbreak to even more heartbreak, to eternal glory in the most perfect possible way with back to back Copa América’s and a World Cup in between

The road was long but he got everything and more in the end, Lionel Messi the greatest player ever lived.

Argentina vs Spain will be the Finalissima 2025!

Lionel Messi will meet little Lamine Yamal again

107 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by adioolayi(m): 6:09am
Greatest of All by far...

Congratulations to Messi and Argentina

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by obonujoker(m): 6:10am
Before Una begin dey troll as usual....

Messi in 5 copa america finals , 0 goals 0 assists

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by realsammie(m): 6:11am
Congratulations to the GOAT and Argentina for winning yet another international Trophy.

There will be tears and gnashing of teeth when Penaldo and his deluded fans wake up to this News. Today will be long grin grin grin

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:11am
Lionel Messi, most decorated player with 45 titles including one more Copa América from tonight

Time to get some rest good night 🤣🤣

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by adioolayi(m): 6:14am
Sunday wey go good, na from Saturday we go know na...

How Lamine Yamal go win Euros 2024 , and his Spiritual Father, Lionel Messi no go win Copa America 2024 final... especially, as both matches were played same dey..E for wrong na..

We for call for Spiritual DNA to check if na the pikin Messi truly spiritually fathered na Yamal or not..

As it is now, no need of DNA....na Lionel Messi spiritually fathered Lamine Yamal ..

It's deep....GOAT begat goat !

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:15am
The 🐐 got injured and doesn't look good he cried I felt bad but guess what we are laughing rn. Fvck it, I knew the Columbia game will be super hard, the last time they lost was against Argentina.

41 Likes

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by adioolayi(m): 6:16am
obonujoker:

Go warm eba chop..

Why is it hard for Una to celebrate greatness...Why

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

102 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by Remman(m): 6:19am
Best player no be for mouth or by social media followers... Congrats to Argentina and my GOAT, Messi!

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:19am
obonujoker:

Don't comment just like...

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:21am
Ángel Di Maria retires from international football with one more Copa América.

“It was my dream to retire from national team like this, Argentina is my love and my country. Thank you”.

↪️🦅 Di Maria will play one more season at Benfica, but leaving the national team.

Thank Di Maria, we won't be bragging today without you 🐐

I hope you reunite with Leo in Miami

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by dhesire(m): 6:26am
[quote author=AImiron post=130963761]Argentina won the 2024 Copa América championship 1-0 over Colombia after snatching victory with an extra-time goal in the 112th minute of a scoreless match.

Congratulations to Argentina, it is a victory well deserved. The Copa America final is more interesting to watch than the Euros final.

Argentina back to back Copa winners with the world cup in between is no mean feat.

4 Likes

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by ikoroduarea: 6:29am
If you ever compare Ronaldo to this Messi, then you should be ashamed of yourself and you probably need to have your head examined.

BACK TO BACK Copa America and a World Cup.

1 World Cup.
2 Copa América’s.
4 Champions Leagues.
10 La Liga’s.
8 Ballon d’Ors, most in history.
6 European Golden Boots, most in history.
45 collective trophies, most in history.

1212 G/A in 1068 games.
838 goals.
374 assists.

The greatest footballer ever lived.

Ronaldo fans must apologise to Messi fans!

Even some stubborn Ronaldo fans in my next room just surrendered that now they can say Messi is better than Ronaldo.

Or is your eyes paining you? undecided

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:29am
The last trophy they both touched.

We brag differently 🐐

15 Likes

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by childofgrace2k: 6:31am
Goated

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:32am
Malroux:
Messi is blessed.
You're blessed too bro.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by Nkl4u: 6:32am
AImiron:
The 🐐 got injured and doesn't look good he cried I felt bad but guess what we are laughing rn. Fvck it, I knew the Columbia game will be super hard, the last time they lost was against Argentina.

His ankle looks badly injured😢. I wish him speedy recovery.

Congratulations to the Argentine's

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by straighttalk(m): 6:32am
Victory for hard work

3 Likes

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by obonujoker(m): 6:33am
Messi non penalty goals in World Cup and Copa America finals:

2007: 0
2014: 0
2015: 0
2016: 0
2021: 0
2022: 1
2024: 0

Total: 1 goal in 725 minutes, 0.124 goals per 90 minutes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by Judolisco(m): 6:33am
The most decorated player in football history is now Lionel messi....
Ronaldo cried his teammates gave him handkerchief.... Sir Lionel Messi got injured midway d final, cried and his teammates gave him the trophy...

See one busuru Don dey cry untop my head... Una go cry tired grin grin grin grin grin

One goat dey drag him team go final, d other one go dey fight untop free kick wey him no say eno go score

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:34am
Nkl4u:

His ankle looks badly injured😢. I wish him speedy recovery.

Congratulations to the Argentine's
Yes it's very bad, same here too. Vamoooos 😣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by vowiski(m): 6:34am
Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by AImiron: 6:34am
obonujoker:
Messi non penalty goals in World Cup and Copa America finals:

2007: 0
2014: 0
2015: 0
2016: 0
2021: 0
2022: 1
2024: 0

Total: 1 goal in 725 minutes, 0.124 goals per 90 minutes

Cry harder 🤣🤣🤣

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by UAE123(m): 6:35am
Messi. The best there was, the best there is and the best to come according to the legendary commentator Peter Drury. Congrats to King Messi and the Argentina national team. More cup lifting to you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by kennyz247(m): 6:36am
Messi my G...no one comes close in ds present generation...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by Calenikan(m): 6:36am
Congratulations Argentina cool cool cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina Wins The 2024 Copa América Title Over Colombia With A Late Goal by nairalee(m): 6:37am
Extra extra icing on the cake for Lionel Messi.

U see greater is the end of a story of a man than the beginning thereof.

12 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AFCONQ: 4 More Players Arrive Camp, Iheanacho Still Expected. / "Arsenal Was Interested In Signing Me" - Iheanacho / Enyimba FC Fan Thread - The People's Elephant

Viewing this topic: MasterJoe(m), oluwatobi01(m), Bobbyratty, Raimond(m), zubbyzubby, Kingosytex(m), Caleb15(m), sexiestharam(f), emandman, vincentus16, bravoluv83(m), azpekuliar, Inobeyourmate, EreIuRoz, Sulaimon83, fortunatechemzy and 64 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.