Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,109 members, 7,925,499 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 04:45 PM

Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." (26212 Views)

Pls Am A Dropout Of N.c.e And Graduate Of N.d What Kind Of Job Is Recommended Pl / Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes / Help In Completing G.C.E And Tutorial Fees Before 30th (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by ConfusePoint: 8:41am On Jul 18
Wow. This is very educative. Thanks
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Honestey: 8:42am On Jul 18
👍
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by DeltaBachelor(m): 8:45am On Jul 18
Interesting... please don't use these in your essays when writing International English exams/tests like IELTS, TOEFL, CELPIP etc..... Use the complete expression like "for example", "for instance" etc

Wanna have a high band score..... Check our signature below for more. Serious candidates only please
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Bmaster(m): 8:47am On Jul 18
I think this thread as it is should be restricted to Agbado miscreants,they need it the more. You don't judge people's intelligence by mere looking at them,but by their actions.Agbado and ewedu Ronu miscreants have shown beyond every logical reasoning that they're not intelligent at all.
e.g a group of people under the umbrella of Arewa youths sent a letter to the I.G of their interest on staging a peaceful protest by 29th July,but instead for Yoruba to react against the proposed protest by Arewa youths, they're busy attacking igbos.i.e helinus direct and indirect attacks on Igbos,anchoring and using endsars as a point of contacts,.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:48am On Jul 18
Great100000:

https://punchng.com/differences-between-i-e-and-e-g/
You should have also mentioned the full meaning.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by rexbuton: 8:56am On Jul 18
MightySparrow:

Good observation my man.
I have been thinking of what will become of Nigeria in about fifty years to come. We are fast losing standards. I was in a church programme yesterday, of course, a pentecostal church, I heard much of noise from the choir. People were jumping and dancing joyfully. It dawn on me, where were the parts rendered by our Orthodox churches? All gone!
In my school those days, if anyone made a grammatical mistake, we. Would echo, ' I dodge the bullet ' grin Today, I am struggling to correct my undergraduate children to write good English.
Our artisans have lost the standards the colonial masters left behind. Houses are collapsing everywhere. Good artisans are no longer available. Youths are not ready to learn anymore.
I even learned that mercenaries are helping undergraduates with their assignments and term papers and projects.

Whereas, good standards are the bedrock of the development of any nation, I think we are losing everything.

I did not want to dwell on Christianity, because there is an ongoing antichrist movement in the social media space, it’s been ongoing for weeks and influencers/social media outlets are giving it traction. It bothers me, in your case, you saw youth in church, what I see, are youth on the internet who blaspheme God, say all manner of profanities, saying there is no heaven/hell , no powers etc But these people go to herbalists for fetishes they use for fraud, or for attracting men. Thus they deceive the gullible.

We have reached a point where people worship money, they focus on the end and not the means. So there is no point learning a skill patiently.
Why should I learn a trade for 3 whole years, while I can get a rich man who would fund my lifestyle? When I can get a cheap laptop, do occultism and get money raining down on me? And society would idolise and emulate me, the police will protect me, traditional rulers will dignify me, politicians and captains of industry will identify with me. So, why should I wear dirty overalls for 3 years in learning to be a mechanic??

They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Emeka71(m): 8:57am On Jul 18
AntiChristian:
English lesson for early momo!

Abeg, impeccable English is not a sign of literacy!

Of necessity.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by ChristCee: 8:57am On Jul 18
emmy512:
Was anyone actually making this mistake?
E weak me. If there's anyone who doesn't understand fundamentals of English language like this one here, for crying out loud what have they been reading on NL
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by tammyf: 9:12am On Jul 18
rexbuton:
This is a meaningful thread to start the day with, though it would take more than four paragraphs to fix the decay in written English amongst Nigerians today.

I am even more concerned about the decline in individual intelligence amongst young people. Youth are afraid to examine evidence and analyse issues logically, instead, they outsource intelligence to ‘influencers’ , many of whom are school dropouts, jesters and people who cannot hold a conversation in real life.
I saw comments on Instablog 10 minutes after the news of Trump’s shooting was reported, and all the comments were “it’s a skit’’.
Until a few years ago, Nigerians were known to be the smartest people in the world, and that is why the smears of fraud, corruption, trafficking etc do not stick on us when we excel internationally. But if with the above, we now have a new generation of Nigerians with the collective intelligence of sea sponges, then we are in trouble.

No experience, no faith, no morals, no grammar, no brakes, no gear, no sense!

And In the latter times, some will refuse to endure sound doctrine.

So English is a sign of intelligence..ok.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by RussellRutherfo: 9:17am On Jul 18
Great100000:

https://punchng.com/differences-between-i-e-and-e-g/

This is good work on educating us on the proper usage of grammar.

Keep more coming.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Mckraz01: 9:19am On Jul 18
UselessBuharist:
Once we know how to use I.e and e.g hunger will be permanently eliminated

Hahaha as if na i.e and e.g be our problem
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Sweeetheart(m): 9:19am On Jul 18
i.e that is, which means you're trying to buttress more of your point on the particular expression

E.g is an example like a reference to back up your expression

They are aid in clarificatiin and understanding of a expression of words and sentences
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by AntiChristian: 9:43am On Jul 18
RichBoy247:

Dullard always refuse to learn, why?

Anything that is not related to money, lazy youths are not interested. Is this the wasted generation that wants to take over the leadership of this country? Never ever

How much English your dad and grand dad learn?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Maxcollins042(m): 9:53am On Jul 18
AntiChristian:

Anything worth doing is worth doing well!
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by AntiChristian: 10:02am On Jul 18
Maxcollins042:

Anything worth doing is worth doing well!

So it's everything you do you try to well?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Maxcollins042(m): 10:05am On Jul 18
AntiChristian:

So it's everything you do you try to well?

Are you having comprehension challenges?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by AntiChristian: 10:12am On Jul 18
Maxcollins042:

Are you having comprehension challenges?

Of course not!
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by folake4u(f): 10:16am On Jul 18
Educative post. Welldone.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by obaidan: 10:23am On Jul 18
this post has been here since morning, we are still on 2nd page. if to say na big brother or yoruba vs igbo or tiwa savage sex tape or wizkid vs davido...e go dun reach 7 pages.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by SmartyPants(m): 10:59am On Jul 18
AntiChristian:

Learn skills, work hard and be useful!

English is just our lingua franca!

Abeg!

Do you know the meaning of literacy?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by UselessBuharist: 10:59am On Jul 18
Mckraz01:

Hahaha as if na i.e and e.g be our problem

My brother make we dey learn am, who knows e fit help

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by SmartyPants(m): 11:02am On Jul 18
tammyf:

So English is a sign of intelligence..ok.

Lol of course it is. Intelligence is directly expressed by your ability to learn things, including how to speak English. Now, is everyone who speaks English well necessarily very intelligent? Not necessarily, but they are clearly intelligent to a certain degree, particularly if English is a second language for them.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by professore(m): 11:16am On Jul 18
Nice one
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by EducasionMe(m): 11:24am On Jul 18
What of a.i. and p.t.o? Who were go to tell me the mean?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by AntiChristian: 11:59am On Jul 18
SmartyPants:

Do you know the meaning of literacy?

Of course i do!

But when will you wash your pants?
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by zedman1(m): 12:16pm On Jul 18
Ah ahn, no na! You mean there are people who use these abbreviations interchangeably? This should only be explained to people who haven't been to any school at all.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Gerrard59(m): 2:20pm On Jul 18
emmy512:
Was anyone actually making this mistake?

Why won't they make the mistake when they use "borrow" instead of "lent", "leave" rather than "live", "were" rather than "where" and "there" rather than "their"?

Honestly, I am shocked when I read Nigerians interchange those words. It was not like this ten years ago.
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by Psoul(m): 2:50pm On Jul 18
AntiChristian:

Learn skills, work hard and be useful!

English is just our lingua franca!

Abeg!

Once I said similar thing to the owner of the primary school my child was attending while in primary level.

I once noticed that the quality of mathematics my child is bn given has reduced while she was good speaking wonderful grammar.

I called the school to inform them of the situation. i said to them in as much as I appreciate the good grammar the pupils speak here, I will prefer my child to do better in mathematics to having have speak all these grammar.
I told them that I will consider withdrawing her if her mathematics kept bn inversely proportional to her Oral English.

A good mathematician is always rational in decision making and taking.

It's also good to speak good grammar. I love it die too.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by AntiChristian: 5:26pm On Jul 18
Psoul:

Once I said similar thing to the owner of the primary school my child was attending while in primary level.

I once noticed that the quality of mathematics my child is bn given has reduced while she was good speaking wonderful grammar.

I called the school to inform them of the situation. i said to them in as much as I appreciate the good grammar the pupils speak here, I will prefer my child to do better in mathematics to having have speak all these grammar.
I told them that I will consider withdrawing her if her mathematics kept bn inversely proportional to her Oral English.

A good mathematician is always rational in decision making and taking.

It's also good to speak good grammar. I love it die too.

I love your summation!
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by femi4: 9:04pm On Jul 18
Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by jojothaiv(m): 10:38pm On Jul 18
rexbuton:
This is a meaningful thread to start the day with, though it would take more than four paragraphs to fix the decay in written English amongst Nigerians today.

I am even more concerned about the decline in individual intelligence amongst young people. Youth are afraid to examine evidence and analyse issues logically, instead, they outsource intelligence to ‘influencers’ , many of whom are school dropouts, jesters and people who cannot hold a conversation in real life.
I saw comments on Instablog 10 minutes after the news of Trump’s shooting was reported, and all the comments were “it’s a skit’’.
Until a few years ago, Nigerians were known to be the smartest people in the world, and that is why the smears of fraud, corruption, trafficking etc do not stick on us when we excel internationally. But if with the above, we now have a new generation of Nigerians with the collective intelligence of sea sponges, then we are in trouble.

No experience, no faith, no morals, no grammar, no brakes, no gear, no sense!

And In the latter times, some will refuse to endure sound doctrine.

Re: Differences Between "i.e." And "e.g." by colonelwealth(m): 1:43am On Jul 19

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Reasons Not To Attend Private Institutions / NASU Strike: University Of Abuja Hostel Looking So Dirty (Photos) / Police Interrogates Olaseni Osifala, Queen’s College Teacher For 13 Hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.