Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:52 PM

The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply (1997 Views)

Aba Abia State To Have 24 Hours Light Starting From 26th February / Now That Aba Is About To Have 24/7 Electricity... / What's Exactly Stopping Nigeria From Having 24/7 Electricity? (2) (3) (4)

The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PaNnamdi: 7:53am On Jul 18
Government always play mind games with the minds of the average Nigerian and one popular ways they do that is by promising stable electricity supply during election campaigns.

Nigeria current electricity power generation is less than 5,000megawatts combined and that means for every 1 hour electricity supply to your house,100,000 other Nigerians or more somewhere are been denied that supply for about 3-4 hrs.The Government currently rates electricity distribution by DISCOS into band A to E with band A having the highest electricity supply,this means that if 1 million customers are in band A 100 million other customers would be in darkness,and if everybody migrates to band A everyone will be in darkness except for the VIPs in band A cheesy .

Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Not Get Steady Electricity

Don't be deceived by the current FG propaganda,Nigeria lack the resources to generate stable 24/7 electricity supply to it's citizens.The cost of generating 1 megawatt of electricity is estimated at 4 million dollars if the generating plant is gas powered.1 megawatt of electricity is needed to power 1,000 homes approximately, going by this rough estimate,Nigeria with a population of over 200 million people needs atleast 220,000 megawatts of electricity to guarantee 24/7 electricity supply to all households in Nigeria and this should cost around 880 billion dollars(132 trillion naira).

As explained above this costs listed excluding costs of maintainance of power plants Is the major reason a country like Nigeria can never have stable Electricity granted to all it's citizens even if Nigeria cut off all the electricity supplies it exports to neighbouring African countries.

So before you believe APC/PDP jargons of steady electricity in few years from now,you must consider the basic fact stated above as not amount of propaganda can help it comes into reality without it been addressed.

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PaNnamdi: 7:58am On Jul 18
So the agbadorians should not hope for BAT team to do magic and give them stable light their darkness continues cool

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PJtech: 8:00am On Jul 18
Op na like this you dumb reach?

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:08am On Jul 18
Would you have said this had your candidate in the last election won even you you people claimed he has all the solutions to the world problems

grin cheesy

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by Oblitz(m): 8:16am On Jul 18

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:18am On Jul 18
PJtech:
He said the truth don't know why you Nigerians like lies no wonder u keep voting wrong people

Nigeria is too poor to have 24 hours electricity

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by SmartPolician: 8:18am On Jul 18
Some Nigerians enjoy 24/7 power now, especially those on Band A. Where I am in Enugu currently, they don't seize power. The moment it goes, it is restored. The truth is that power isn't cheap and what determines whether people will enjoy steady power or not depends on their ability to pay for it.

As for having the resources to generate enough power, Nigeria has it. That's why a state like Imo is focusing on using gas to generate 24/7 power while the north uses hydropower and Tinubu is trying to get World Bank to grant Nigeria a loan for solar power. Some parts of Edo State are already enjoying power from solar.

So, in summary, 24/7 power supply is feasible, but only those that can afford it will enjoy it because power isn't cheap.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:19am On Jul 18
helinues:
Would you have said this had your candidate in the last election won even you you people claimed he has all the solutions to the world problems

grin cheesy
Everything to this one is politics
Governance? Nah he doesn't care

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PJtech: 8:19am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

He said the truth don't know why you Nigerians like lies no wonder u keep voting wrong people

Another d@mb nigga

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:22am On Jul 18
Oblitz:

Very wrong analysis.

1. Solar energy: The cost of solar energy has decreased dramatically in recent years, making it competitive with fossil fuels in many regions. The average cost of solar energy is around $30-40 per megawatt-hour (MWh).
2. Wind energy: Wind energy is another renewable source that has become increasingly cost-effective. The average cost of wind energy is around $25-35 per MWh.
3. Hydro energy: Hydroelectric power is one of the oldest and cheapest forms of renewable energy. The average cost of hydro energy is around $20-30 per MWh.
4. Natural Gas: Natural gas is a fossil fuel that has become relatively cheap in recent years due to advances in extraction technologies. The average cost of natural gas-fired power generation is around $40-50 per MWh.

https://decarbonization.visualcapitalist.com/the-cheapest-sources-of-electricity-in-the-us/

Next time do proper research
Lmaooo some of u sha... Little wonder why we elect the type of leaders we have

Someone gave you the cost of building the infrastructure excluding cost of running

You went online to bring cost of operation ... Na wah ooh

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:23am On Jul 18
PJtech:

Another d@mb nigga
100k to you now now if you disprove this is analysis

Oya smart person let's go

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:27am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

Everything to this one is politics
Governance? Nah he doesn't care

Answer my question on his behalf

17 Likes

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PJtech: 8:29am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

100k to you now now if you disprove this is analysis

Oya smart person let's go

Like say you get 100k for aza.. i can prove the op wrong but i no go waste my time
Make everybody believe what dey want
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:30am On Jul 18
helinues:

Answer my question on his behalf
If Obi enters and promise to give Nigerians 24/7 power I would know he is a joker
And I would be the first to condemn him in strong term

I supported Buhari and I condemned him when he failed so if anything I have proven I can condemn who I support... And support who I have condemned in the past

As every reasonable person should do

But he never promised that he promised to improve it

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:31am On Jul 18
PJtech:

Like say you get 100k for aza.. i can prove the op wrong but i no go waste my time
Make everybody believe what dey want
Infact 1 million naira if you can prove the Op wrong... Please put me to shame

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:32am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

If Obi enters and promise to give Nigerians 24/7 power I would know he is a joker
And I would be the first to condemn him in strong term

I supported Buhari and I condemned him when he failed so if anything I have proven I can condemn who I support... And support who I have condemned in the past

As every reasonable person should do

But he never promised that he promised to improve it

Thank you for answering my question.

So if there are things like this which might take years to solve, why are some people expecting miracles from a one year government?

18 Likes

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:36am On Jul 18
PaNnamdi:
Government always play mind games with the minds of the average Nigerian and one popular ways they do this is by promising stable electricity supply during election campaigns.

Nigeria current electricity power generation is less than 5,000mega watts combined and that means for every 1 hour electricity supply to your house,100,000 other Nigerians or more somewhere are been denied that supply for about 3-4 hrs.The Government currently rated electricity supply by DISCOS into band A to E with band A having the highest electricity supply,this means that if 1 million customers are in band A 100 million other customers would be in darkness.

Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Not Get Steady Electricity

Don't be deceived by the current FG propaganda,Nigeria lack the resources to generate stable 24/7 electricity supply to it's citizens.The cost of generating 1 megawatt of electricity is estimated at 4 million dollars if the generating plant is gas powered.1 megawatt of electricity is needed to power 1,000 homes approximately, going by this rough estimate,Nigeria with a population of over 200 million electricity needs atleast 220,000 megawatts of electricity to guarantee 24/7 electricity supply to all households in Nigeria and this should cost around 880 billion dollars(132 trillion naira).

As explained above this costs listed excluding costs of maintainance of power plants Is the major reason a country like Nigeria can never have stable Electricity granted to all it's citizens even if Nigeria cut off all the electricity supplies it exports to neighbouring African countries.

So before you believe APC/PDP jargons of steady electricity in few years from now,you must consider the basic fact stated above as not amount of propaganda can help it comes into reality without it been addressed.
You are absolutely correct

I have an alternative idea to power I have been working on

I think instead of focusing on power we should focus more on gas supply

If we get gas supply to most estates they can power themselves and send the excess to national grid

We can make a law that for an estate to produce its own power via the CNG gas pipeline it must pay a 35% tax in power

That's 35% or their power would go to the national grid

What this entitles is the rich would power the poor

We can generate over 40,000mw like this from top cities in nigeria

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by NeckingNgulping(m): 8:36am On Jul 18
helinues:

grin cheesy

We are planning to buy you a bed here.. Hope you're going to appreciate this our kind gesture.

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:37am On Jul 18
helinues:

Thank you for answering my question.

So if there are things like this which might take years to solve, why are some people expecting miracles from a one year government?
We are expecting improvement from where he met the system not totally fixing it

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:38am On Jul 18
NeckingNgulping:

We are planning to buy you a bed here.. Hope you're going to appreciate this our kind gesture.

Sebi una just wan arrange the bed ni not that I had it before.

That one still good now, what should we say about those who their birth cords have been buried on this forum. I mean those who created daily moniker to troll others, those who put unnecessary aggressions on those who knew nothing about whatever challenges they might be going through .

What yah say

18 Likes

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:39am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

We are expecting improvement from where he met the system not totally fixing it

Is there no improvement in the electricity to start with?
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by bjdon: 8:39am On Jul 18
The only reason why there's no power 24/7 is because power generation and transmission are in govt hands. If the generation and transmission sector is totally opened up to private players you will see a swift change in no time.
Please show me one thing that the govt runs that ever worked in this country. Nigerian Airways gone. NITEL gone. Ajakouta and Delta steel gone. Nigerian govt is a ceaspool of corruption and to think they are capable of doing anything properly is to be deluded.
privatize the entire power sector and see what will happen. Do you think Dangote or Rabiu will build a power station and that station will not be working at full capacity 24/7?

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by MasterJayJay: 8:44am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

It is like saying that Nigeria is too poor to have 24 hours internet connection.

Poor person dey buy data of 200mb to satisfy his needs, rich man dey buy starlink to satisfy his needs.

Poor man dey make phone call 1 minute. Rich man dey make international phone call for hours.

The point is accessbility at any point one needs the service.
Nigeria currently needs around 30,000-40,000 megawatts.
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:46am On Jul 18
MasterJayJay:

It is like saying that Nigeria is too poor to have 24 hours internet connection.

Poor person dey buy data of 200mb to satisfy his needs, rich man dey buy starlink to satisfy his needs.

Poor man dey make phone call 1 minute. Rich man dey make international phone call for hours.

The point is accessbility at any point one needs the service.
It's like depending on Nitel to give you power

MTN came because Nigerians where rich enough to buy them in substantial amount

For me to invest in power I need a concentration of Nigerians who can pay 200k per month for light

And we both know such places already have 247 like in Nigeria

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:47am On Jul 18
helinues:

Is there no improvement in the electricity to start with?
Our transmission capacity is still the same no improvement

Collapse in national grid have increased

Are you not in Nigeria
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by cadmanspize: 8:48am On Jul 18
Op seriously need to go bk to school. Agbado boy trying to defend his frog eye bacteria. And to start with, who told u that it averages 4m$ for 1 mw?
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by helinues: 8:50am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

Our transmission capacity is still the same no improvement

Collapse in national grid have increased

Are you not in Nigeria

Is there no improvement in distribution of the electricity across Nigeria?

The Abia you guys have been talking about , what's happening there? Before talking about it's state initiative, if the FG didn't give the state the power to generate their own electricity like before, they wouldn't have don't that
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by MasterJayJay: 8:53am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

It's like depending on Nitel to give you power

MTN came because Nigerians where rich enough to buy them in substantial amount

For me to invest in power I need a concentration of Nigerians who can pay 200k per month for light

And we both know such places already have 247 like in Nigeria
Who are those using generators?
Right now, I can hear sounds of generators from a barbing saloon, an embroidery shop. They have been complaining about high cost of petrol. Petrol with generator and DISCO, which is cheaper?

Your SWOT analysis is built on wrong foundation.
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:56am On Jul 18
helinues:

Is there no improvement in distribution of the electricity across Nigeria?

The Abia you guys have been talking about , what's happening there? Before talking about it's state initiative, if the FG didn't give the state the power to generate their own electricity like before, they wouldn't have don't that
Are u not capable of holistic reasoning?
We are talking about national power grid u are talking about one city

Oshogbo has 24 hours most days, and so?

The way you think majority of times is beyond me... How can a person be ike this.. No offense

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PaNnamdi: 8:57am On Jul 18
PJtech:
Instead of you to learn you are just commenting for commenting sake.if not for this my thread am sure you didn't have an idea of how electricity is generated and how to calculate minimum electricity that can serve all households in Nigeria.

Try and learn
Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by PJtech: 8:58am On Jul 18
mrvitalis:

Infact 1 million naira if you can prove the Op wrong... Please put me to shame

Your argument: Nigeria can never generate 24/7 electricity

This is wrong. Nigeria uses only thermal and hydropower sources to generate its electricity which comes mostly from gas.
We have a capacity of 12,522 megawatts (MW). What that means really is that we are able to produce 12,522MW of electricity within Nigeria if everything works well. But it doesn’t work well.

For Nigeria to archieve this feat. They need to

1. Invest in infrastructure i.e expanding it's generation capacity,transmission and distribution
2.Diversing the energy source i.e
using solar and hydroelectric power to generate electricity not only relying on Gas
3.Community awareness on energy consumption
4.Energy efficiency management

So for Nigeria to achieve this feat the government will spend atleast $100b. And if this happens there will be increament in electricity tarrifs. Band C consumer may likely pay 100k naira monthly for electricity (can everyone afford this in Nigeria present economy where min wage is less than 50k)

So don't tell me Nigeria can never produce 24/7 electricity to its over 200m citizens

I know you'll still argue cos of the promise you made grin but atleast you've learnt something today

Go and read how Morroco was able to generate 24/7 electricity

Re: The Actual Reason Why Nigeria Can Never Have 24/7 Electricity Supply by mrvitalis(m): 8:59am On Jul 18
MasterJayJay:

Who are those using generators?
Right now, I can hear sounds of generators from a barbing saloon, an embroidery shop. They have been complaining about high cost of petrol. Petrol with generator and DISCO, which is cheaper?

Your SWOT analysis is built on wrong foundation.
Generator is cheaper na than having national grid

How is this concept difficult to understand

It is because we have millions of people who spend 20k and above on data that MTN can provide data for people who spend 200 a month

If all of us spend 200 MTN would fold

In Nigeria people who can spend 200k already have power 24/7

50 million can give u 24/7 light that's mere 30k dollars with solar

20k dollars can give you even but u have to manage it well

Council Of State and the future of Nigeria / Andy Uba Loses At Supreme Court Again / Sen. Arthur Nzeribe Should Be Arrested Immediateltly.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65