Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,858 members, 7,902,718 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 03:02 PM

Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) (2057 Views)

Sharp X5 BMW 3.0i Tokunbo "04 #2.65M 08096577304 SOLD / BMW PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC At Ladipo Market. / SOLD Barely Used 010 BMW X6 Going Down @5m Net. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 12:14pm On Jul 19
COMRADES, if I may ask, what was the cause of the inaccuracy? grin grin grin

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by CyrusVI(m): 12:23pm On Jul 19
Still not our fault.

I understand that incorrect pronunciation wouldnt sit well with owners of a particular name but they should try understand its almost natural for humans to pronounce words in their own accent

Some football fans would want u to pronounce Xavi as Javi and Villa as Viya but I'm neither spanish nor colonized by Spain.

Thanks OP for your teachings

4 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Shalommy(f): 12:25pm On Jul 19
Chaii... cheesy cheesy Wahala!

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Rexymania(m): 12:26pm On Jul 19
To hell...

Bee em vee as in German accent?

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by brain54(m): 12:45pm On Jul 19
Even BMW staff would be shocked by this...

4 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Timagex(m): 1:08pm On Jul 19
We know!!!

Next…
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by EngrMcDon(m): 2:17pm On Jul 19
Rexymania:
To hell...
Bee em vee as in German accent?

Yeah, just as Timo Werner is pronounced as Timo Verner I guess

6 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Kaycee54321(m): 2:41pm On Jul 19
This checks out.

I previously pronounced Volkswagen as Vaulks-Waging, lol.

Until my one-time peer in the Uni who specialized in German taught me that it's actually pronounced as Folks-Vahgen

4 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 3:00pm On Jul 19
brain54:
Even BMW staff would be shocked by this...

I dey tell you grin

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 3:06pm On Jul 19
CyrusVI:
Still not our fault.

I understand that incorrect pronunciation wouldnt sit well with owners of a particular name but they should try understand its almost natural for humans to pronounce words in their own accent

Some football fans would want u to pronounce Xavi as Javi and Villa as Viya but I'm neither spanish nor colonized by Spain.

Thanks OP for your teachings
My brother, no be our fault, na the fault of the British man grin they like manipulating (coinage) languages of the world to suit English pronunciation by all means grin grin
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by thesicilian: 5:18pm On Jul 19
Same way Hyundai is not HIGH-ON-DIE but correctly pronounced HEE-UN-DAY

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by brain54(m): 5:22pm On Jul 19
Also peogeot has a different spelling from pronunciation...

thesicilian:

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by SporaD8: 5:41pm On Jul 19
Whenever you want to have a good laugh, just relax and watch translation of Yoruba to English with "Google translate"

2 Likes

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by 1Alex: 5:49pm On Jul 19
Bee em vee is German pronunciation.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 5:54pm On Jul 19
1Alex:
Bee em vee is German pronunciation.
And the maker of the car is British, right?
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by papyjaypaul: 5:55pm On Jul 19
Germans call V "w" but that is none of my business. That's why I never got a Volkswagen and went for a Mercedes wink

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by papyjaypaul: 5:57pm On Jul 19
thesicilian:

Hyundai is the most confused brand I tell you. I have heard 3 different types of pronunciation of the name from their commercials and I think they allow different names for different regions in the world. Check their adverts on YouTube

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by kingar(m): 7:36pm On Jul 19
What of Beamer how is it pronounced in German

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by OgatheTop: 7:57pm On Jul 19
@op, it's still correct to pronounce it as B M DOUBLE U.

A loose translation is Bavarian Motor Works (company).

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by PlayerMeji: 8:28pm On Jul 19
I dont even want to pronounce anything correctly....Oyinbo people don't care to know how to pronounce my name correctly..they just call it how it seems to them and they don't bother whether they got it right or wrong......and nobody heckles them for it....

So, I made up my mind to stop impressing them with my pronunciation skills...

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Lucifyre: 8:30pm On Jul 19
It is not pronounced incorrectly. Did u just learn abt more than one language existing or phonological interference?!

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Bakrabas: 9:17pm On Jul 19
Hmmm ... Be My Wife BMW

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Beverlyjean(f): 11:03pm On Jul 19
U are wrong ... its bee em double u... as a single letter its pronounced double u but as a word or name, it changes to vee
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Ojemedad: 2:53am On Jul 20
Russians = vee emm vee

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Depriest2020: 7:58am On Jul 20
BMW wey I dey see with my eyes na him you say the "W" na "V"?. Unless you tell me that if I want to pronounce the W in German accent I should pronounce it as V then I will accept. Currently am in Nigeria till I get to Germany.

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 8:06am On Jul 20
Depriest2020:
BMW wey I dey see with my eyes na him you say the "W" na "V"?. Unless you tell me that if I want to pronounce the W in German accent I should pronounce it as V then I will accept. Currently am in Nigeria till I get to Germany.
Hmmmmm grin grin grin
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Melagros(m): 8:11am On Jul 20
Beverlyjean:
U are wrong ... its bee em double u... as a single letter its pronounced double u but as a word or name, it changes to vee
After a study revealed that 95% of people globally pronounce it incorrectly but you're still trying to prove the researchers wrong
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:40am On Jul 20
Same fccking sound sad
Re: Did You Know That We Have Been Pronouncing 'BMW' Incorrectly? (pix) by Beverlyjean(f): 12:12pm On Jul 20
Melagros:

After a study revealed that 95% of people globally pronounce it incorrectly but you're still trying to prove the researchers wrong

So who told them that's its wrong pronunciation when the company themselves call it Bee Em Double u

If u wanna hear real pronunciation of cars ...watch their adverts ... even German adverts call it Bee Em Double u

(1) (Reply)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant For Sale At 550k / Sleeky Cars : Infinity Jeep - 2000 Model @ 850k / Tokunbo Golf 3 1997 Model + Meg Tire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.