Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,168 members, 7,896,968 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 05:34 AM

COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. (180 Views)

Senator Kalu Advocates For Part-Time Legislature To Cut Costs (Video) / Senate Chief Whip, Orji Kalu Calls For Closure Of Some Government Parastatals / PDP Wasted 16 Years Of Governance — Senator Olamilekan Adeola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by MightyCJ: 12:20pm On Jul 21
The lawmaker representing Abia North Senatorial District in the National Assembly, Orji Uzor Kalu, has suggested that the National Assembly and state legislatures should operate on a part-time basis to reduce financial burdens on the government.

The former Abia state governor, in an interview with journalists, proposed a constitutional amendment to enable lawmakers to sit for only three months, with four sessions per year, and emergency sittings when necessary.

He argued that this move would help streamline government expenses and promote trust among Nigerians.

He noted that lawmakers’ salaries are modest and do not justify the current full-time arrangement. He emphasized that this change could be part of a broader strategy to improve government efficiency.

The senator’s proposal aligns with recent calls for a part-time legislature, aiming to reduce costs and enhance effectiveness.

Kalu’s advocacy for a constitutional amendment may spark further debate and consideration among his colleagues and the Nigerian public.

He said: “Well, I think it would be a good idea for my colleagues to agree and amend the constitution first. In three months, we sit two to three weeks making it four times in year.

“If there’s any emergency, there would be an emergency sitting. We can come in and do a presidential bid on that basis and go back, instead of meeting on a full-time basis. It shouldn’t be the senate alone, both the House of Representatives and the Houses of Assembly in Nigeria. So, all the legislative branches in Nigeria should be part-time as austerity measures to reduce cost of governance or we should go back to regional government. If we’re going for regional government, it means the ministers and the lawmakers would be the same.

“I have been thinking on how we can save money to run Nigeria. Nigeria needs money. I will encourage the president, the National Assembly to make this law. It will help President Tinubu and the system — including everybody. Not that the senators earn a lot, we’re paid almost nothing in the Senate. I laugh when because our pay is nothing to write home about. But I want my colleagues to do a quick constitutional amendment have a part-time senate, house of representatives and state houses of assembly to earn the trust of Nigerians.”

Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by Olamideayomide(m): 12:39pm On Jul 21
Good
FTC since all this while
Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by Freshtruth(m): 12:45pm On Jul 21
Fifa

Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by jkpbestseries: 1:45pm On Jul 21
Will other senators accept that offer
Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by viyon02: 2:01pm On Jul 21
Best obvious statement from Mr kalu since I ever know him. I bet this one of Tinubu's master plan, he have it secretly in his mind.
Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by Melagros(m): 2:13pm On Jul 21
COMRADES, this suggestion may help us as a country

But, unfortunately Akpabio and Tinubu will definitely disagree
Re: COST OF GOVERNANCE: Senator Orji Kalu Calls For Part-time Legislature. by mairogo: 2:41pm On Jul 21
John Locke, the father of constitutionalism upon which the American democracy is built advocated same in his Second Treatise on Civil Government. That's why some state legislatures in the US operate on a part time basis.
It saves cost and allows the legislators time to work on their bills.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Lauds Bill Gates For Supporting Eradication Of Polio, HIV In Nigeria / Buhari Orders Ministers To Submit Projects Reports By April 24 / APC Applauds Buhari For Signing #30,000 Minimum Wage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.