Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,196 members, 7,873,875 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:23 PM

Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? (5843 Views)

Windows 10 Problems And Solutions (official Microsoft Windows 10 links added) / How To Fix Windows 7 Not Genuine Error-“copy Of Windows Is Not Genuine" / "you May Be A Victim Of Software Counterfeiting. This Copy Of Windows Did Not Pa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by chux76(m): 2:01pm On Dec 02, 2011
I want to know the difference between the Home Edition and Ultimate Edition of Windows 7. I recently upgraded my Asus Eee Pc netbook from Windows XP to Window 7 Ultimate Edition and my netbook was running slow,even after I have downloaded and installed all the necessary files and software from their website,the netbook laptop was still running slow and below performance. But I checked their website and made a little discovery.
On their website,they had 2 specifications for my type of netbook with my configuration, ASUS Eee PC,2GB RAM,CPU Z520,1.33GHZ, One was for Windows XP Home edition and the other for Window 7 Home Edition, so I was wondering if it was because I installed the Ultimate version that made my netbook to run slow!!.
I would like to know if it would be preferable I installed the Home Edition hoping it works normal,but please is there a difference between the various versions of Windows 7??
Thanks for your responses
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by koseepaaro(m): 9:44am On Dec 03, 2011
Poster, as far as I know and according to A+ Certification Exam Guide, Windows 7 home is roughly equivalent to Windows xp home. And that Microsoft gears it to home users not needing more advanced multimedia and also (from my own experience) not needing much security as well while Windows 7 Ultimate was said to combined all of the features of every other Windows 7 Version and also includes some other features, such as a game performance tweaker and DVD ripping capability. Hope this help?
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by Maleeq(m): 12:56pm On Dec 03, 2011
Get a healthy set of information on the versioning of Windows 7 here:
[list]
[li]Windows 7 Versions (Wikipedia)[/li]
[li]Windows Versions Comparison (Microsoft) [/li]
[/list]

It about sums it all up.

Plus, Microsoft advocates the starter edition for netbooks: its a rather stripped down version. Running the Ultimate on your netbook would surely be slow. The hardware specifications of your book is just too low for all its glitz.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by chux76(m): 5:26pm On Dec 03, 2011
@Maleeq
I appreciate your response and your advice. You really have lifted the scales from my eyes. Thanks a lot. I will try the starter edition on the Laptop and see how it goes.
Tnx again
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by richkids1(m): 2:15pm On Dec 04, 2011
Maleeq:

Get a healthy set of information on the versioning of Windows 7 here:
[list]
[li]Windows 7 Versions (Wikipedia)[/li]
[li]Windows Versions Comparison (Microsoft) [/li]
[/list]

It about sums it all up.

Plus, Microsoft advocates the starter edition for netbooks: its a rather stripped down version. Running the Ultimate on your netbook would surely be slow. The hardware specifications of your book is just too low for all its glitz.

Hi Maleeq, You've said it all but there are more to say on this and you can learn those from the link given to you by Maleeq. Two versions vary from each other, one has limitation to changing of the system backgound and some other things.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by Skywalker5(m): 3:29pm On Dec 04, 2011
You cant join a computer with Home edition to a domain while you can with utimate and there are some features missing in Home edition
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by dastudent(m): 3:36pm On Dec 04, 2011
@OP ,Not to be rude but there is a reason why it is called a Netbook.It is meant for web browsing and not for running heavy applications.That's why it always comes with a windows 7 or XP starter pack.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by waks1(m): 5:17pm On Dec 04, 2011
Hey, you can dowload and run window 7 upgrade advisor from microsoft site, just follow this link below and it will tell you what version of window 7 is good for ur system ok.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

cheers.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by chux76(m): 7:45pm On Dec 04, 2011
da student:

@OP ,Not to be rude but there is a reason why it is called a Netbook.It is meant for web browsing and not for running heavy applications.That's why it always comes with a windows 7 or XP starter pack.

Noted sir,I/We learn everyday. smiley

waks1:

Hey, you can dowload and run window 7 upgrade advisor from microsoft site, just follow this link below and it will tell you what version of window 7 is good for your system ok.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

cheers.

Tnx Bro, I am on it

@ Richkids, I appreciate your post too.
Tanx all y'all
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by hackney(m): 8:42pm On Dec 04, 2011
Sky-walker:

You cant join a computer with Home edition to a domain while you can with utimate and there are some features missing in Home edition

You must be in I.T
was gonna say the same thing.
For everything else the platforms are more or less the same.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by denzel2009: 8:49pm On Dec 04, 2011
Windows 7 OS are the same, Microsoft just limits what each version can do with the licence keys. Like sky-walker said, you can't join a domain such as active directory with home edition and there's no bit locker iirc.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by Infoseye(m): 8:40am On Dec 05, 2011
chux76:

I want to know the difference between the Home Edition and Ultimate Edition of Windows 7. I recently upgraded my Asus Eee Pc netbook from Windows XP to Window 7 Ultimate Edition and my netbook was running slow,even after I have downloaded and installed all the necessary files and software from their website,the netbook laptop was still running slow and below performance. But I checked their website and made a little discovery.
On their website,they had 2 specifications for my type of netbook with my configuration, ASUS Eee PC,2GB RAM,CPU Z520,1.33GHZ, One was for Windows XP Home edition and the other for Window 7 Home Edition, so I was wondering if it was because I installed the Ultimate version that made my netbook to run slow!!.
I would like to know if it would be preferable I installed the Home Edition hoping it works normal,but please is there a difference between the various versions of Windows 7??
Thanks for your responses

You have all contributed well, but @chux76 if your specs of your PC you stated are correct forget it! Windows 7 will not run smoothly on your PC.Fine and agreed you have memory power but CPU is quite low but sometimes I have seen PC's with less specs and win 7 runs fine.You should also take note that there are some chips on your pc board that cant handle Win 7 or are outed to run Win7 smoothly.

What I would advice is visit Asus Eee website and check the necessary requirement to upgrade from XP to Win7 or if there files you need to update you PC to run win 7 smoothly
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by Mosesli: 12:13pm On Dec 05, 2011
Dunno.
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by chux76(m): 8:12pm On Dec 05, 2011
Infoseye:

You have all contributed well, but @chux76 if your specs of your PC you stated are correct forget it! Windows 7 will not run smoothly on your PC.Fine and agreed you have memory power but CPU is quite low but sometimes I have seen PC's with less specs and win 7 runs fine.You should also take note that there are some chips on your pc board that cant handle Win 7 or are outed to run Win7 smoothly.

What I would advice is visit Asus Eee website and check the necessary requirement to upgrade from XP to Win7 or if there files you need to update you PC to run win 7 smoothly

Like I said,I visited the website and the model come in 2 diff versions,one for the XP and the other for Windows 7,but they are both Home Edition. I have downloaded most of the softs for the Windows 7 32-bit version and I am waiting to install the Home edition version to see how it works out. I couldnt find the Home Edition at my present location but by God;s grace I should be in Lagos by Wednesday and hope to get it computer village.

I appreciate y'all contributions and advice,I must say that I have been properly enlightened. Presently I have installed the XP on it and it is running smoothly but I am just not down with XP,will let you know how the Windows 7 Home runs on it when I have it installed.
Thank you
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by Skywalker5(m): 10:18pm On Dec 06, 2011
1.33GHZ is not gonna be fast in my own opnion
Re: Whats The Difference Btw Home Edition And Ultimate Version Of Windows 7? by xtremeidea(m): 11:47pm On Dec 07, 2011
hello poster, sorry am late with this, hope it helps!!! grin grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

... / Windows 10 Hidden Illuminati & Satanic Signs / Dell E7450 core i5 (135k) For sale.............reasonably neotiable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.