Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,304 members, 7,936,887 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 06:54 AM

Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence (5303 Views)

EndSARS: Lekki Tollgate Night Of Protest In Pictures / Opponent Of Reps Member, Jerry Alagboso Dies 24 Hours Before Final Judgment / IGP Idris: Tinubu, 8 Others To Attend Saraki’s Meeting With Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by JAOS(m): 5:48pm On Jul 24
The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris has said that President Bola Tinubu is not an opponent of protest but is against violence.
Idris said the government acknowledges the rights of every Nigerian to engage in protests.

Idris stated this when he received the Charismatic Bishop Conference on a courtesy visit to his office in Abuja on Wednesday, July 24.

He said: “You see, the government of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu believes in the freedom of everyone within the confine of the law to do what he thinks is right for him. Therefore, the President is not an opponent of protest of any kind but the President is an opponent of violence and anything that will negatively hamper the wellbeing of Nigerians. He believes and he has always been saying that within the tenets of democracy, you have every right to do whatever you want to do provided that right does not infringe on another person’s right.

“Why everybody is very cautious and very weary of this national protest is because we have seen what has happened around the world. We know that it’s almost impossible to hold this protest and then have peace at the end of the day. We cannot do that because some people are waiting to take the laws into their own hands.”

Idris reiterated the fact that President Tinubu is fully aware of the genuine concerns and complaints expressed by Nigerians across the nation.

He also assured that the president is actively working to implement effective policies aimed at alleviating the challenges faced by the citizenry and bringing relief to all Nigerians.

“But beyond that, there is also another new policy that the President has formulated, which will begin to be seen very soon and that is that all young men and women who have finished universities and polytechnics and have certificates and have done their mandatory NYSC and have not been able to get jobs, will have something from the government to keep them afloat until the time they get jobs,” he said.

He explained that because of the President’s commitment to the welfare of Nigerian workers, even after the Tripartite Committee on the National Minimum Wage concluded its assignment and submitted its report, the President sustained his engagement with the Organised Labour Unions until an amicable resolution was reached, which gave birth to the N70,000 national minimum wage.

Idris said the introduction of the Compressed National Gas (CNG) policy by the President is a game changer in the country’s economy because of its ability to bring down the cost of transportation by about 60% thereby providing a viable alternative for petrol and diesel.

The Minister said henceforth, any government procurement of vehicles or machinery, must have a component of CNG embedded in the contracts.

He also highlighted the significant improvement in the security situation in the country, saying since the advent of the Tinubu administration, there has been a remarkable improvement in most of the flashpoints in the country, especially the Abuja-Kaduna Expressway, which used to be a nightmare for motorists.

In his remarks, the President General of the Charismatic Bishops Conference, Archbishop Leonard Kawas, dissociated the conference from the planned national protest, saying they had been approached by some groups to join the protest.
“Your Excellency, recently we received some calls from some other religious organizations and other organizations asking us to join in preparation for a nationwide protest, which would start from 1st August 2024. We are here to let you know that we do not think the same. That we have rather decided to go all out and call for a truce. We have decided to sue for peace and humbly request that our brothers and sisters who are aggrieved in one way or the other, that they should give us some time while we continue to communicate and negotiate with this government on areas that are pertinent to them,” he said.

He said after the 2024 Synod, they have resolved to partner with the federal government in prayers and advocacy for the success of the Tinubu Administration.
Archbishop Kawas acknowledged that the Administration has made tremendous progress in social investment, the introduction of the Student Loan Scheme, security, infrastructure in the FCT and across the country, and the introduction of the N70,000 National Minimum Wage among others.

The Charismatic Bishop Conference also used the occasion to present a Meritorious Service Award to the minister.

https://thenationonlineng.net/tinubu-not-opponent-of-protest-but-violence-says-minister/

5 Likes

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by NoPaddy4Jungle: 5:49pm On Jul 24
Which one be"charismatic bishops conference" again? grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by nabes: 5:52pm On Jul 24
The endsars memory is still very fresh in our memory. So why should the presidency support a repeat of what happend

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by yarimo(m): 5:54pm On Jul 24
Criminals looking for a way to steal in the name of protest

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Salewa97: 5:54pm On Jul 24
Tinubu is right.

Protests are a fundamental right, but violence is a no-go area. We need to ensure that our democracy thrives without descending into chaos. The focus should be on constructive dialogue, not chaos. Let’s keep the peace while addressing our issues!

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Sapasenator: 5:55pm On Jul 24
Tinubu is the reason for the protest let the minister stfu.

How can you beat a child and be worried how the child decides to cry?

Nor be winch be that.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Richtaiwo: 5:57pm On Jul 24
Sapasenator:
Tinubu is the reason for the protest let the minister stfu.

How can you beat a child and be worried how the child decided to cry?

Nor be winch be that.
He said Tinubu is not against protest but opposed to violence. Either your version of peaceful protest is about violence or you didn't understand the message. Certainly, one of the two is your case. Except of course you want to hide behind "peaceful protest" to perpetrate what yarimo posted above.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Sapasenator: 6:00pm On Jul 24
Richtaiwo:

He said Tinubu is not against protest

And you expect me to believe what he said? I was born in the night but not last night.

6 Likes

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Richtaiwo: 6:04pm On Jul 24
Sapasenator:

And you expect me to believe what he said? I was born in the night but not last night.
Go ahead and protest. If the protest is peaceful, no security agency will disturb you. But if you engage in violence, anything you see, carry am.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Sapasenator: 6:08pm On Jul 24
Richtaiwo:

Go ahead and protest. If the protest is peaceful, no security agency will disturb you. But if you engage in violence, anything you see, carry am.

Honestly, people will protest and there is no guarantee it will not turn violence.

I personally do not believe in protest as it has never achieved any goal but a poor man who has been pushed to the wall sees protest as the only option to make the government listen to his plights.
Both locally and Internationally, I never participate in any protest.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Quest7777: 6:22pm On Jul 24
Well, it's the job of police to deal with any potential violence.
You can't because of fear of violence, deny people their fundamental rights to protest.

Better still, Tinubu can do the needful and avert the protests.

3 Likes

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Richtaiwo: 6:22pm On Jul 24
Sapasenator:

Honestly, people will protest and there is no guarantee it will not turn violence.

I personally do not believe in protest as it has never achieved any goal but a poor man who has been pushed to the wall sees protest as the only option to make the government listen to his plights.
And when it turn violent, there must be consequences because security agencies won't just fold their arms watching misguided elements stealing and destroying public facilities under the guise of peaceful protest.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Freshtruth(m): 6:24pm On Jul 24
Commentator🗣️ "Next time the World Cup arrives, Messi will be 35 years old. This could very well have been his last chance to win the World Cup at his peak.

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Sapasenator: 6:28pm On Jul 24
Richtaiwo:

And when it turn violent, there must be consequences because security agencies won't just fold their arms watching misguided elements stealing and destroying public facilities under the guise of peaceful protest.

Let's not kid ourselves. People will die. People die everyday due to government wrong policies.

Anyone not ready to die should stay away from protests expecially in Nigeria
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Chinkoalhaji34: 6:38pm On Jul 24
Tinubu is only against violence, not the people's voice. Let's keep the dialogue civil and focus on real change instead of chaos. Unity and peace are the way forward!

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Goodlyhrt(m): 7:21pm On Jul 24
Permit me to address this annoying media attacks by some people against the Igbo. The Igbo are not known for mindless destruction of other peoples life and properties nor want to take over or destroy Lagos as some quarters on this site are hell bent on wishing into reality.

The much talked about protest have been so tuned to give off an impression that the Igbo people are organizing a protest to destroy Lagos or bring down the government of president tinubu.

Which is nothing but a lie. The good news to this quarter that I talked about earlier is the fact that the Igbos are no longer interested in the affairs of this Nation. Sorry that is the fact. I know you will be pained and your favorite victim whom you love to attack at any given opportunity are not interested in the much talked about protest.

We don't know about it.

And if you find any Igbo man that day then you do to him as you please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by aswani(m): 7:54pm On Jul 24
Let's be honest, in Naija, the protest will turn violent.

At Uniben, all protests start out being legit, before you know it, people are going to Bukateria to steal foodstuffs and same with the school bookshop.

Better safe than sorry. Keep the protests to a confined open space location.
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Lovelyn451(f): 4:40am On Jul 25
U already know what they're protesting for, address it, don't wait to see whether the protest will be peaceful or violent

1 Like

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Emmexguy123: 4:42am On Jul 25
Tinubu and APC overnight protests repentance is what other part of the world must study.

How can people that love protest and can quickly mobilize for it during GEJ time suddenly against the same type of protest they love so much especially now that times are hard for Nigerians?

If this is how repentance is done, count me out.
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by mytime24(f): 4:43am On Jul 25
They shld'nt come near my warehouse ooo 😄

Awon dis regime go favour me and my family
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Fibonacci88: 4:45am On Jul 25
After bribing all the useless associations in Nigeria to no avail, reality is beginning to set in that the protest must happen. If Tinubu is wise he should even be at the fore front of this protest protesting against his own cluelessness and foolishness. Cos am sure he too his shocked at how bad his own government is.
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Snake001: 4:48am On Jul 25
Hehehe

We all want a better Nigeria.

Protest but don’t burn down our infrastructures in the SW.

Person wey get ears make he hear because pikin wey no get home training, na for outside dem dey teach am.

We don’t kill because we are not cannibals but we will give animals the treatment they deserve.

UN, La Liga, UEFA, NBA, Europa, change.org or W.H.O won't be able to save you when that treatment is given to you.

#pankere

Below is the food for animals:👇

6 Likes

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by tunwumi: 4:48am On Jul 25
Ok
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by trutharena: 4:50am On Jul 25
Tinubu is a leader who understands the importance of peace and dialogue. His focus is on building a united Nigeria, not promoting violence. We need to support leaders who prioritize our safety and progress.

1 Like

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by phemmie06(m): 4:55am On Jul 25
There won't be violence provided government will not try to be funny. There should not be a counter protest cos that is what APieCes is known
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Arostar2023: 4:57am On Jul 25
Blame the government, if ever, the protest turns violent. It's the agents of government that are used to the abuse of power and impunity that will trigger whatever...but I doubt if any protest will hold. Nigerians (youths) were more united during the ENDSARS protest than today.
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by SmartyPants(m): 5:27am On Jul 25
Sapasenator:

Talking from both sides of the mouth is an unbecoming trait for a man.

According to you:

1. Protest achieves nothing
2. The protest will surely turn violent and people will die

So, therefore, people will die for nothing; but,

3. The President is wrong to discourage them from the violence.
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Sapasenator: 5:40am On Jul 25
SmartyPants:

Talking from both sides of the mouth is an unbecoming trait for a man.

According to you:

1. Protest achieves nothing
2. The protest will surely turn violent and people will die

So, therefore, people will die for nothing; but,

3. The President is wrong to discourage them from the violence.

Reality is reality irrespective of what you think. The President is wrong to discourage them from protesting but there is no guarantee it will not get violent. You have to know the risks if you decide to protest. For me I protested over a decade ago by getting myself another citizenship and moving my business interests from Nigeria. You can protest and its allowed under the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by gare(f): 5:45am On Jul 25
JAOS:

https://thenationonlineng.net/tinubu-not-opponent-of-protest-but-violence-says-minister/

The. Provide the protesters with security, it's not war, but they only want the government to know that the hardship is too much, that's the idea, it's not a riot
Re: Mohammed Idris: Tinubu Not Opponent Of Protest But Violence by Newton1045: 6:00am On Jul 25
No to protest

We didn't protest against buhari.

Tinubu need some time.

Our politicians are in money glut, NEPA billing us with wickedness ,food absent but we won't Protest BC during buhari regime, the core north refuse Protest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Army: Boko Haram Tactics, Strange To Us / 8 Officers In Abia Are Undergoing Trial For Disregarding Igp's Order On Checkpoi / How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.