Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,897 members, 7,973,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 07:22 AM

Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity (22043 Views)

60% Of Metered Customers Bypass Meters, Says TCN / FG Begins Nationwide Distribution Of 1m Free Meters In Kano, Kaduna, Lagos / Buhari: Why I Trekked 800 Meters In Daura - President Reveals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by Enskynelson(m): 4:57am On Jul 29
alphaNomega:
IT IS NOT ENERGY THEFT, those companies are stealing your money. Why is there no recurse when you have paid electricity bills and there is no power in your home? yet every month they come to you with an estimated bill for power not supplied.

If i walk up to you with a piece of paper that says you should pay me 17,349.98 for 2 crates of eggs I supplied you this July, would you pay?

THE DISCOS HAVE BEEN ROBBING NIGERIANS FOR TOO DAMN LONG, AND WHEN THE PEOPLE TAKE MATTERS TO THEIR OWN HANDS, MASS MEDIA WILL MAKE A STORY OUT OF IT.

In essence, they can steal from you, but you should not steal from them. Where is the justice?
The scenario u gave is different from what I am talking about. U said it is no energy theft. What is it when you have a meter and decide to bypass the meter so you don't pay? The area you talked about is moenthkng different and it is serious extortion. I have seen it too. In where I live, I cannot pay for an apartment where there is no meter. I cannot be frustrated by criminals

1 Like

Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by Amuluonyenaego: 5:27am On Jul 29
Johnthesuccess:

You people are despicable. You are not fit to leave among humans.
A dirty pig with a decayed skull Dey talk too
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by do4luv14(m): 5:42am On Jul 29
Kukutente23:
When will Nigerians stop buying transformers, pay for fault repair and pay for darkness

It's like I fit swear for that Journalist too,

when will he investigate those senseless bills, billings customers for darkness
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by NapoleonHill: 7:23am On Jul 29
MasterJayJay:
Fact is that the DISCOs don't have the business will to fight meter tampering. They are not running the DISCOs as a private business, they retained NEPA workers with terrible behaviour.

There should be a monthly monitoring and they should hire good people cos some of their staff are partners in this crime. It is very easy to spot a house that bypassed a meter.

DISCOs also steal from customers too. I get 6 hours daily and should be on a much lower band but my DISCO placed me on BAND B, which means I am paying more than what I should pay. I have complained to them for many months, yet no solution. Last month, they admitted I was placed on the wrong band category and they will fix it. Two days ago, I recharged and found out that they have not fixed it. I sent a whatsapp message to their staff, no reply on the issue as I am writing this.

Only hand A is paying more. B to E are paying same #65 per unit.

1 Like

Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by MasterJayJay: 7:28am On Jul 29
NapoleonHill:

Only hand A is paying more. B to E are paying same #65 per unit.
Are you using all DISCOs?

I am telling you what I pay. It is not for debate. I am paying 102 naira per kwh, though I am wrongly placed under band b instead of band e.
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by NapoleonHill: 7:40am On Jul 29
MasterJayJay:

Are you using all DISCOs?

I am telling you what I pay. It is not for debate. I am paying 102 naira per kwh, though I am wrongly placed under band b instead of band e.

Wow. I didn't know this they have started charging different amounts for different bands now. I'm surprised it was not in the news.

Sorry to ask but are you sure there's no debt on the meter because it will be criminal to charge without proper announcement from them and NERC.

1 Like

Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by MasterJayJay: 7:47am On Jul 29
NapoleonHill:

Wow. I didn't know this they have started charging different amounts for different bands now. I'm surprised it was not in the news.

Sorry to ask but are you sure there's no debt on the meter because it will be criminal to charge without proper announcement from them and NERC.
No debt. The receipt actually shows the tariff rate.

My Disco is Abapower. Their own band A tariff is the lowest among all other Discos. They are not charging up to 120 naira per kwh for Band A. But their band B to E is the highest among all other Discos.

Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by maasoap(m): 7:53am On Jul 29
alphaNomega:
THEY WANT PEOPLE TO BYPASS THE METER, THEY MAKE MORE MONEY FROM CATCHING PEOPLE THAT BYPASS METERS THAN ACTUALLY SUPPLYING ELECTRICITY.

Yes, I can confirm that you're 100% correct. It was 300k before if you're caught but there was room for negotiation which you might end up paying nothing less than 80k.
But in my city, IBEDC has come up with new penalty for bypassers which is 50k as penalty, non negotiable. It is either you pay or you don't use their power supply ever again!! And they do go out in the middle of the night with armed security agents, mostly civil defence corps to catch bypassers. And the catch is usually massive, a lots of people grin grin grin
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by maasoap(m): 8:02am On Jul 29
MasterJayJay:

My Disco is Abapower. Their own band A tariff is the lowest among all other Discos. They are not charging up to 120 naira per kwh for Band A. But their band B to E is the highest among all other Discos.

It is fair pricing that way. The gap between band A and other bands for all other DISCOs is ridiculous. Band A is like N250 per unit when you add VAT, though they claim it is N206 or N220. It is a lie, you only get 4units of electricity for 1k. Whereas, their band B is around 72 naira per unit including VAT. Look at the huge difference, 250 vs 72!!
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by BALLOSKI: 8:10am On Jul 29

Asked who helped her with the illegal connection, she said, “My brother, it was the same NEPA people, too, who did the thing (illegal connection) for us o.

They'd see NEPA 2(those local technicians) and call them DISCO staff. When she's caught, she'd say your staff did, and when you investigate more, you'd see that it's those roadside guys hanging around offices they work with.
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by NapoleonHill: 10:23am On Jul 29
MasterJayJay:

That's really serious. I think NERC should be notified of this.
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by 6ixT8: 1:56pm On Jul 29
I'm a clime where salaries can't cover 50% of cost of living, what is the authority expecting?
Re: Uncovered: How Desperate Homes, Businesses Bypass Meters In Massive Electricity by alphaNomega: 4:25pm On Jul 29
Enskynelson:

The scenario u gave is different from what I am talking about. U said it is no energy theft. What is it when you have a meter and decide to bypass the meter so you don't pay? The area you talked about is moenthkng different and it is serious extortion. I have seen it too. In where I live, I cannot pay for an apartment where there is no meter. I cannot be frustrated by criminals
Because the previous month I paid and no energy was supplied, the month before I also paid and no energy was supplied, it has been happening so much people have accepted it as NORMAL.

these private DISCOS should hand over the power supply business back to government and invest in arresting people that bypass meters since that is where they make their most money. they know nothing about how to run the business.

Power production and distribution SHOULD NOT be a business. It is a service the government owes the people in order to keep the economy moving.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Commissions Road Projects In Zamfara (photos) / Supreme Court: Buhari ’Eminently Qualified’ To Contest / Orji Kalu Lectures Senate, FG On Agriculture, Makes Reference To Ogbomosho Mango

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.