Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,405 members, 7,950,899 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 04:57 AM

Asp.net And Php Which Is Better - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Asp.net And Php Which Is Better (8416 Views)

Asp.net And Wamp Server / C# - Capturing File Name From A FileUpload Control In Asp.net / Tutorial: How To Return Html In Json Response Using Asp.net And Jquery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Afam4eva(m): 4:59pm On Dec 04, 2011
ASP.net is not safer per say.It's just that because it's not as commonly used as PHP it's not likely to get attacked. Who would want to assasinate a nonentity. That's how i see it.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 6:03pm On Dec 04, 2011
^^^That is just it.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Beaf: 8:05pm On Dec 04, 2011
afam4eva:

ASP.net is not safer per say.It's just that because it's not as commonly used as PHP it's not likely to get attacked. Who would want to assasinate a nonentity. That's how i see it.

It is safer. ASP.NET's libraries are very well designed, to the extent that even poorly written websites are difficult to hack. On the other hand, PHP was not designed, its more like a cut and nail thing, followed by frenzied patching of leaking areas.

PHP was originally created by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995. The main implementation of PHP is now produced by The PHP Group and serves as the de facto standard for PHP as there is no formal specification.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHP

Laughable, especially in this day and age.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2011
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2011
Maybe we should do some kinda challenge or competition PHP experts vs ASPX experts and see who wins. All these wikipedia and references mean nada to me.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 10:55pm On Dec 04, 2011
on a more serious note,

a hacker can hack any language be it ASP OR PHP if not properly and securely written

but for me your SERVER environment determine if you going to get hack or not

if you like write everything make your server no secure, na easy hack be that

so the issue of HACKING is another case

php is easy to write and it have a wider community

why learn ASP.NET?

when i can name my page to asp and use php inside with the use of my .htaccess file

if my client want ASP i say yes.

i design all my page in php and change extension to asp and use all php code inside with the use of my .htaccess file grin

Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 04, 2011
I even do some with HTML.

Now, this is something someone posted somewhere which supports what i was trying to say above when i said that ASPX is better, but i prefer PHP

I've been programming in PHP for well over 12 years now and just recently made a complete switch to ASP.NET (C#), which I've been working with for only 4 years. My main motivations for that were as follows:

Visual Studio is a much better IDE to work with ASP.NET than every other IDE I've used to work with PHP (Zend, Eclipse, Codelobster, and so on).
.NET is a complete framework that saves me a lot of quality and expensive development time. Plus it's a lot easier to write reusable code and components. Sure I've developed my own PHP classes, libraries and code snippets over the years, but they are still basically classes spreaded over loose files that I'm primitively copying and pasting through my projects. In .NET I have my Web User Controls, (compiled) classes and so on in their respective file formats, sometimes even on AppDomain or Server level.
C# (not VB, ) is more like a 'real', Strong Typed programming language whereas PHP is more like a scripting language with a lot of oddities (strings as boolean comparissons?). Sure, it's more 'strict' than what you're used to as being a PHP developer, but that'll only make you a better programmer writing more robust and stable applications in the end.
ASP, C#, Visual Studio and .NET come as a whole, complete package whereas in PHP, I'll be having to look and install one of the many IDEs, third-party frameworks, and so on.
It's a lot easier to manage websites and virtual directories in IIS than it is in Apache.
And I could go on with this list forever. To put it in a nutshell, I consider PHP to be more of a cheap quick fix to make a small website/application with not too many features in it. For bigger applications, however, .NET is far more suited.
Source: http://forums.asp.net/t/1649025.aspx/1

That is someone that has programmed for longer than me, but i agree with him 210%.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 04, 2011
Take a look at this again - http://naspinski.net/post/AspNet-vs-php--speed-comparison.aspx (in support of .NET)

What i failed to mention was that i moved from ASP to PHP (when i noticed everyone around is using PHP) - and hunger dey wire me.
And those that freelance in Nigeria will know that PHP is king! The total number of requests i have gotten ever to do a site with asp.net is zero.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 11:07pm On Dec 04, 2011
Now this is one of the negative things about asp.net - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2302933/asp-net-vs-php-performance-future-proofing-ease-of-development

The same reason why i can no longer go back to vb.net programming, they keep overhauling stuffs. Unlike PHP where many version 4 codes will still work well in version 5.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 1:05pm On Dec 05, 2011
@dhtml, You are very wrong, Sony was hacked by George Hotz--a.k.a. GeoHot, facebook was also hacked by false fully allowing user place malicious javascript code in their browsers thereby posting illegal contents on their wall, Facebook has hired the guy to work with them, In essence, every website can be hacked irrespective of the programming language used to design it.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 8:47pm On Dec 05, 2011
You are correct, but you missed my point. I was saying same thing as you - that a site getting hacked is not exclusively because it is made with php - like some people are trying to say. Even sites that are compiled into exe sef if poSsible can stil get hacked.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Beaf: 12:26pm On Dec 06, 2011
*dhtml:

You are correct, but you missed my point. I was saying same thing as you - that a site getting hacked is not exclusively because it is made with php - like some people are trying to say. Even sites that are compiled into exe sef if poSsible can stil get hacked.

I'm not saying websites get hacked exclusively because they were done in PHP. Rather, it is generally much easier to hack PHP sites.
There are two reasons for this:

[list]
[li]PHP libraries are knocked up without any plan, quite unlike other languages. The platform itself is weak security wise.[/li]
[li]To compound matters, the lack of restrictions (e.g. type safety, html encoding of user input etc) make it by far the easiest tool to get up and going with. As a result, there are tonnes of "anything goes developers" churning out horribly hackable stuff.[/li]
[/list]

Of course, it is possible to build acceptably secure sites in PHP, but it takes more effort than is worth it. For example, ASP.NET out of the box, will war against XSS attacks without much dev input, because it screams loudly and refuses to budge each time anything remotely resembling script or html tags arrives from user input; PHP does not do that out of the box.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 06, 2011
^^^100% correct about that. Unfortunately, in Nigeria, may PHP developers i have met are very lousy, and so it is not surprising that naija sites get hacked every now and then.
Re: Asp.net And Php Which Is Better by yingxuy: 6:07am On Dec 07, 2011
This makes it vulnerable to attack. ASP is considered more secure, this language is still quite a number of loop holes a secret, because it does not follow the ship, PHP command of the facts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

.NET Is A Dead & Useless Language - .NET programmers come and defend yourselves / Java Vs C Sharp / Ethical Hacking Vs Software Engineering: Advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.