Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,587 members, 7,881,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 01:22 PM

Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity (6716 Views)

Awolowo Asked Ojukwu To Be Open And Forthright . But Ojukwu Was Trying To Do Wuru Wuru Backroom Deals / Ojukwu Was Forced To Defend His People, Says Tinubu / In London, Ojukwu Was Lonely, Dumb – Igwe Nwokedi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 8:14pm On Dec 03, 2011
Nigerians from other groups, wonder why Igbos love the great Ikemba, and the answer is simple. He was truly the symbol of Igbo unity. Everything he represented was a manifestation of what Igbo unity entails. Through Iron will, this man forged the destiny of the Igbo people. Before Ojukwu and Biafra, the Ndigbo seen ourselves as a people of various clans. However, during and after the war, the Ndigbo had a type of unity that was never seen in our entire history. Instead of seeing ourselves as Aro, Ngwa, Mbaise, Nri etc, we seen ourselves as simply as IGBO.

Ojukwu is the manifestation of Igbo unity. That is why he will always remembered. It goes more deeper than simply him being the leader of Biafra. The Igbo unity that he helped produce will be his lasting impact for generations to come.

One Igboland, One Igbo people, for the greater glory of Ojukwu and his children. The father of our people has died, but he will be remembered for generations to come. I love you Ojukwu as a son should love a father.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 8:21pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Nigerians from other groups, wonder why Igbos love the great Ikemba, and the answer is simple. He was truly the symbol of Igbo unity. Everything he represented was a manifestation of what Igbo unity entails. Through Iron will, this man forged the destiny of the Igbo people. Before Ojukwu and Biafra, the Ndigbo seen ourselves as a people of various clans. However, during and after the war, the Ndigbo had a type of unity that was never seen in our entire history. Instead of seeing ourselves as Aro, Ngwa, Mbaise, Nri etc, we seen ourselves as simply as IGBO.

Ojukwu is the manifestation of Igbo unity. That is why he will always remembered. It goes more deeper than simply him being the leader of Biafra. The Igbo unity that he helped produce will be his lasting impact for generations to come.

One Igboland, One Igbo people, for the greater glory of Ojukwu and his children. The father of our people has died, but he will be remembered for generations to come. I love you Ojukwu as a son should love a father.

Amen! Seconded powerfully. cool cool cool
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
^^^^^^

You guys are sounding more and more like North Koreans!! Scary!
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 8:29pm On Dec 03, 2011
^^

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. It was okay for Awolowo to be your papa, but not okay for Ojukwu to be our own papa.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 8:32pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

^^^^^^

You guys are sounding more and more like North Koreans!! Scary!

How so?

Every people/nation have a leader they consider the father of their nation. The U.S. has George Washington, China has Mao Zedong, India has Ghandi, France has Charles de Gaulle, the list is endless.

Ojukwu was a symbol of Igbo unity. No one can deny that. He led a fractious group that became a more cohesive group.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

^^

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds. It was okay for Awolowo to be your papa, but not okay for Ojukwu to be our own papa.

My hypocrisy? Lawd have mercy! It is one thing to respect somebody, it is another thing to love a stranger like a son loves his father!!!
You are all starting to sound like some brainwashed communists.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nchara: 8:36pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

My hypocrisy? Lawd have mercy! It is one thing to respect somebody, it is another thing to love a stranger like a son loves his father!!!
You are all starting to sound like some brainwashed communists.

From the abundance of experience, the only way to draw you out is to say Awolowo was an ignorant goat. Now hit your buttons with the expected response. Ewu Yoruba.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 03, 2011
Are you going to organize a seven days of compulsory wailing and crying ( not mourning o ) for the great leader as well? SMH
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 8:51pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa I see that you have conveniently ignored my post.

Do the Yoruba not have Awolowo? Is he not considered your Baba? Please refrain from your hypocrisy, and let the Ndigbo refer to Ojukwu anyway we want. I do not understand why some people have a hard time doing that. Worrying about other people's leaders. It is not normal.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 8:54pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Do the Yoruba not have Awolowo? Is he not considered your Baba? Please refrain from your hypocrisy, and let the Ndigbo refer to Ojukwu anyway we want. I do not understand why some people have a hard time doing that. Worrying about other people's leaders. It is not normal.

Calling someone papa in Yorubaland is a sign of respect. It does not translate to loving them as you love your own father.
Papa Awo
Papa Ajasin
Papa Adesanya and so on, and we respect them all.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nchara: 8:56pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

They will be happy if Igbos claim Awo as a father (Tufiakwa). Ewu Aigbofa. At this point they should begin to commit suicide like Awolowo.
Now I know why The Economist, NYT etc, had no obituary news about Awo: he indeed committed suicide grin grin grin
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 8:58pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

Calling someone papa in Yorubaland is a sign of respect. It does not translate to loving them as you love your own father.
Papa Awo
Papa Ajasin

Do you not love Awolowo? Do you not give the greatest amount of respect and admiration. Do you all not defend him like your life depended on it? I am just trying to tell you to stop being so hypocritical. Igbos love Ojukwu, similar to how Black Americans love the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 8:59pm On Dec 03, 2011
Nchara:

They will be happy if Igbos claim Awo as a father (Tufiakwa). Ewu Aigbofa. At this point they should begin to commit suicide like Awolowo.

At least Awo played that role for ibos than Zik ever did.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 9:00pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

Calling someone papa in Yorubaland is a sign of respect. [/b]It does not translate to [b]loving them as you love your own father.
Papa Awo
Papa Ajasin

Now you are spinning! lol

In any case, you cannot force us to adopt your own ethos in the way you treat your "papas". You can choose to "respect" yours, while we can choose to "love ours like own father". Kapish?
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

Do you not love Awolowo? Do you not give the greatest amount of respect and admiration. Do you all not defend him like your life depended on it? I am just trying to tell you to stop being so hypocritical. Igbos love Ojukwu, similar to how Black Americans love the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

Of course I do, not the way I love my Dad though.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nchara: 9:03pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

At least Awo played that role for ibos than Zik ever did.

Taa! He (AWO) committed suicide, hence no international news magazine made his obituary. In  Igboland he would have been thrown into the evil forest.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 9:04pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

Of course I do, not the way I love my Dad though.

I love Ojukwu as the father of a united Igbo people. Are there different degrees of love?
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 03, 2011
EzeUche:

I love Ojukwu as the father of a united Igbo people. Are there different degrees of love?

Yes, there is. You need to visit North Korea.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

Yes, there is. You need to visit North Korea.

I know you never knew that people were crying like babies when president JFK was killed. That is the type of love people can have for a beloved leader.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

I know you never knew that people were crying like babies when president JFK was killed. That is the type of love people can have for a beloved leader.

I've never heard any American saying they love any leader as much as their own father, except North Koreans and some people on Nairaland.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by lagcity(m): 9:15pm On Dec 03, 2011
Honestly, I understand the love Igbos have for Ojukwu. Ojukwu is the real Igbo leader, not Zik.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
lagcity:

Honestly, I understand the love Igbos have for Ojukwu. Ojukwu is the real Igbo leader, not Zik.

What is the basis of this love? That millions died just to make a point?
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 9:17pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

I've never heard any American saying they love any leader as much as their own father, except North Koreans and some people on Nairaland.

So, you are waiting for them to say it? Your quarrel is that we are saying it. My friend action speaks louder than words.
A lot of people don't even cry when their own father died, but cry when a beloved leader dies.
Your attempts to drag North Koreans into this is simply idiotic.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 9:19pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

History is looking favorably on Ojukwu. As the obituaries from The Economist and Times Magazine are doing. Looking at the war from an objective lens instead of the biased lens that most Nigerians look at it. Including Igbos such as myself and groups that fought for the Nigerian side.

The title of my thread should be the answer that you are looking for why Igbos love Ojukwu.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

So, you are waiting for them to say it? Your quarrel is that we are saying it. My friend action speaks louder than words.
A lot of people don't even cry when their own father died, but cry when a beloved leader dies.
Your attempts to drag North Koreans into this is simply idiotic.

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin Idiotic ehn?

I'm patiently waiting for the seven days compulsory wailing for the dear leader.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Ngodigha1(m): 9:22pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

Stinking pig, this is a no time to display your imbecility. Get out of this thread, idiott.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 9:23pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

LOL grin grin grin grin grin grin Idiotic ehn?

I'm patiently waiting for the seven days compulsory wailing for the dear leader.

People mourn the death of their leaders. Is it that hard to comprehend? Benazhir Bhutto was mourned in Pakistan, when she was assassinated. Americans mourned the death of Ronald Reagan. The list is endless. Please stop arguing for the sake of arguing. It is getting very OLD.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by EzeUche(m): 9:24pm On Dec 03, 2011
lagcity:

This is something we can agree on. Thank you for that candid response.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Onlytruth(m): 9:24pm On Dec 03, 2011
Aigbofa:

[b]What is the basis of this love? [/b]That millions died just to make a point?

Here is the basis of the love:

(1) There was the first round of massacre in Northern Nigeria
Ojukwu's response: He asks Igbos to return to the North

(2) Igbo are massacred again in the North
Ojukwu's response again: He asks Igbos to return to the North

(3) Igbo are massacred the third time in the North, this time the massacre continues. .

Ojukwu's response "If you return to the East, I will do my best to protect you".

Stalemate.

Ojukwu insists on seniority in the military.
Final attempts at peace and security: ABURI ACCORD signed

Gowon reneges on Aburi

Ojukwu -after resisting pressure from Easterners for almost 6 months- declare East an independent state.

That is what happened.

Our love for him is not for free.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 03, 2011
Ngodigha1:

Stinking pig, this is a no time to display your imbecility. Get out of this thread, idiott.

OMG! So much venom.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nchara: 9:27pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

(3) Igbo are massacred the third time in the North, this time the massacre continues. .

Ojukwu's response "If you return to the East, I will do my best to protect you".

Stalemate.

Gowon reneges on Aburi

Ojukwu -after resisting pressure from Easterners for almost 6 months- declare East an independent state.

That is what happened.

To think he was even insisting that a Yoruba took over from Ironsi, and that one, typical of Yorubas, checked out to the UK much like Abiola.
Re: Ojukwu Was A Symbol Of Igbo Unity by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 03, 2011
Onlytruth:

Stalemate.

Gowon reneges on Aburi

That is what happened.

Look, like OBJ said, it was a series of unfortunate events. You cannot say with honesty that all avenue for peace were exhausted. Whoever goaded Ojukwu into hastily declaring Biafra was as guilty as Ojukwu. Two million dead for nothing!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Govs Move Against Planned Removal Of Immunity Clause / Have You Ever Been Slapped By A Policeman. / Revealed. Oshiomole Is Not From Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.