Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,551 members, 7,944,649 topics. Date: Monday, 09 September 2024 at 08:52 PM

Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) (24563 Views)

Slovenia’s Government Approves Recognition Of A Palestinian State / Ukrainain Soldiers Execute & Shoot The Legs Of Russian Prisoners Of War (Video) / Poland's Prime Minister, Czech Republic And Slovenia Leaders Arrive In Ukraine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by WriterNig: 5:03pm On Aug 01

A major prisoner exchange between πŸ‡·πŸ‡Ί Russia and the west is under way involving the Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, who has been freed from a Russian prison, Bloomberg has reported, citing people familiar with the situation.

After a historically complex, months long negotiation involving more than 6 countries and 24 prisoners, the US on Thursday announced it had secured the release of 3 American citizens from Russia, including Wall Street Journal reporter Evan Gershkovich, Marine veteran Paul Whelan and Russian-American radio journalist Alsu Kurmasheva, all of whom are expected to arrive on American soil by nightfall.

The 3 will return to the United States as part of a 24-person prisoner swap β€” one of the largest since the end of the Cold War β€” among Russia, the U.S, Germany and 3 other Western countries.

Sources with knowledge of the planned exchange confirmed to the Guardian that a major swap would take place on Thursday in a location outside Russia.

They declined to make further details public until after the swap had taken place owing to sensitivity of the matter.

Gershkovich and the former US marine Paul Whelan, both accused by Russian authorities of espionage, had already been freed and were en route to a destination outside Russia, Bloomberg reported.

The Guardian understands the exchange will also involve Russian political prisoners being freed as well as numerous Russians jailed in the west for espionage, murder and other crimes being returned to Russia.

Neither Russia nor the US publicised any details on the exchange location, but Turkish intelligence said in a statement it would be coordinating an extensive prisoner swap on Thursday. Sources confirmed to the Guardian that the exchange was expected to happen in Turkey.

Gershkovich was arrested in March 2023 while reporting in the city of Ekaterinburg and was last month sentenced to 16 years in prison for espionage. He pleaded not guilty and the Wall Street Journal and the US government have dismissed the charges as nonsense.

A possible exchange has been mooted for months, with long discussions behind closed doors involving numerous governments, and few details seeping into the public domain.

Many observers have linked the initial Gershkovich arrest to a Russian policy that amounts to hostage-taking, with a view to increasing pressure on western countries to release Russian spies, hackers and assassins.

On Wednesday, two Russian deep-cover β€œillegal” spies arrested in Slovenia were tried in Ljubljana, sentenced to time served and ordered to be expelled from the country. A source with knowledge of the case told the Guardian the pair would be included in the exchange.

The Guardian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vkI_Kj3kao

2 Likes

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by WriterNig: 5:04pm On Aug 01

3 Likes

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by WriterNig: 5:04pm On Aug 01
πŸ‘πŸ» Like for Russia-Putin, share for USA/Nazi/NATO 卍

72 Likes 52 Shares

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by TemplarLandry: 5:05pm On Aug 01
cool Yea diplomatically speaking, that's reasonable.

Humans are sometimes used as bargaining chips.

This topic makes me miss uni.

I dedicate 'Fair Trade" by Drake to them.

Great jam!

43 Likes

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by chiiraq802(m): 5:08pm On Aug 01
Let's swap Thief.nubu with the president of China.
If him do anyhow for China dem go kpai am. If Polithiefcians do any how for 9ja, our president Xi Jinping will kpai dem. lols

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by Candidlady: 5:09pm On Aug 01
sad
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by Spandau: 5:13pm On Aug 01
Candidlady:
sad

So what's the problem with that? You got a problem with that?
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by WriterNig: 5:13pm On Aug 01
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by franchasng: 5:16pm On Aug 01
This yeye boy, your country is burning yet you are stuck on asslicking Putin, is this thing ordinary? cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by WriterNig: 5:21pm On Aug 01
franchasng:
This yeye boy, your country is burning yet you are stuck on asslicking Putin, is this thing ordinary? cheesy

Why should i be bothered?

At the end of the day you Nigerians will still vote for someone 20 times worse than Tinubu.

Like say dem use suffer swear for una.

I don leave naija matter for una. Make I focus on countries that know where they're headed.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by breakerbrin: 5:21pm On Aug 01
It has been the norms for ages
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by franchasng: 5:26pm On Aug 01
WriterNig:

At the end of the day you Nigerians will still vote for someone 20 times worse than Tinubu.

I don leave naija matter for una. Make I focus on countries that know where they're headed.
No wahala, we donate you to Donestk warfront, adieu grin cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by PJtech: 5:27pm On Aug 01
Swap Prisoners kee... when no be commodity grin
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by bassdow: 9:49pm On Aug 01
m
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by PlanetZero: 9:49pm On Aug 01
Op has a Russian virus

I hope all his family has relocated to Russia

Hypocrite grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by bassdow: 9:49pm On Aug 01
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by Melagros(m): 9:50pm On Aug 01
COMRADES, Russia is on the winning side

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by DevilsEqual(m): 9:51pm On Aug 01
TemplarLandry:
cool Yea diplomatically speaking, that's reasonable.

Humans are sometimes used as bargaining chips.

This topic makes me miss uni.

I dedicate 'Fair Trade" by Drake to them.

Great jam!

We've missed your dedications

Do that more often,bro
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by frog12: 9:51pm On Aug 01
i hear biden was crying. when you suffer russians for years, and cry because you own people are in russia prison for only months, is it fair ?

two can play the game grin

1 Like

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by Solseal007: 9:51pm On Aug 01
Am happy for Paul, he was arrested in retaliation for the arrest of that merchant of death Russian... Can't remember his fugging name
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by freakyavia: 9:52pm On Aug 01
WriterNig:

nice one the truth is hard to hear thumbs up maybe the next one would be in a wheel chair

1 Like

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by Everyday247: 9:52pm On Aug 01
Songstill:
Can we swap presidents
Do you think anyone would want our president? undecided
Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by LeeSmart: 9:56pm On Aug 01
Russia really knows how to play this game with the westπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

5 Likes

Re: Russia Swap Prisoners With US, Germany, Poland & Slovenia (Photos) by atobs4real(m): 9:57pm On Aug 01
This people are still one. Just playing with the masses

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Gambia President-Elect; Adam Barrow Is Alive - Gambian Journalist, Camara / Fake Kenyan Lawyer Who Won 26 Cases, Arrested!! / Israel-Hamas War: First Hostages Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.