Stats: 3,185,484 members, 7,926,447 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 03:13 PM

The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe (288 Views)

2023 Polls: NASS Under Pressure To Pass Electoral Act Amendment Bill / Minority Leader, Senator Akpabio Visits President Buhari In London (Pictures) / Senator Akpabio To Be Formally Received Into APC On Thursday - APC UK (2) (3) (4)

The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by odoemelamemmanu(m): 4:48pm On Aug 06
The 10th National Assembly (NASS) under Senator Akpabio.

Olufemi Adegbulugbe.
Member, Federalist Majority.
05 August 2024.

Subject: *A clarion call to Ranking Senators of the 10th Assembly*

Suffice to say Nigeria stands at the edge of a cliff as we are overloaded with a myriad of problems and challenges.
Our (Nigerians) focus and attention has been on the executive arms of Government.
It is my intention to draw attention to the Legislative arm of Government as an understated contributory factor to the menace confronting us today.

My objective is to call upon our ranking (experienced) senators, across political and ethnic divide to rise up in unison and recover a democratic institution (the senate) from becoming a private enterprise.
My call is directed at Senators Enyinnaya Harcourt Abaribe (Abia South), Solomon Olamilekan Adeola (Ogun West), Adamu Aliero (Kebbi Central), Yau Alhaji (Zamfara North), Abdulfatai Buhari (Oyo North),
Ezenwa Francis Onyewuchi (Imo East), Orji Uzor Kalu (Abia North), Henry Seriake Dickson (Bayelsa West), Mohammed Goje Danjuma (Gombe Central), Mohammed Ali Ndume (Borno South), Abdul Ahmed Ninji (Bauchi Central), Barau Jibril (Kano North).

The Upper legislative arm, with Senator Goodswill Akpabio as President has performed below expectations and not a few Nigerians adjudge the current senate composition as the worst in the history of democracy in Nigeria.

Under Senator Akpabio, Nigerians watch with disappointment as the Senate acts as an extension of the Presidency, with devastating consequences on the nation.
Clearly, Senator Akpabio appears to have abandoned his responsibilities as Senate President, to uphold the role of checks and balances and has instead pledged unconditional loyalty to the President, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, thereby degrading the Senate to a rubber stamp institution.

The Godswill Akpabio role of political idol worshipper is most unfortunate and has grossly diminished the image of the esteemed and distinguished assembly.

It is for the above reason that i call on ranking Senators of the 10th assembly to walk in the footsteps of Late Senator John McCain, (USA) by putting Nigeria first and act in a bipartisan fashion to restore the dignity and integrity of the 10th Assembly.

While i note that 84 senators (77%) of the current senators are first term senators, It is for this reason that ranking senators must act to guide the 10th Senate away from public mockery and ridicule and to restore the confidence and earn the trust of 220 million Nigerians.

It is the opinion of majority of Nigerians of good conscience that the current leadership of the 10th Senate has performed below expectations and attracted ridicule and shame to the 10th Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The following comes to mind.
1. Suspension of Senator Abdul Ningi (Bauchi Central) for expressing his opinion on national issues, perceived to be contrary to the Akpabio agenda of political idol worshipping.
2. Removal of Senator Ali Ndume (Borno South) from Senate leader position for alleged offences, similar to Senator Ninji.
3. Verbal assault on Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan (Kogi Central) by Senator Akpabio.
4. Intimidation and harassment of Senator Ireti Kingibe (FCT) by Senator Akpabio.
5. The degrading and exclusion of ranking senators from offices on the 4th floor as a punitive measure.
6. The assignment of ranking senators to obscure senate committees while first term hallelujah senators are assigned to important committees that they are unqualified to manage.

The Senate is a very important institution and a strong component of our democracy.
It must function effectively as a legislative arm of Government, and act independently too.

Nigerians cannot afford to see the NASS fail in the execution of her constitutional role of checks and balance, in addition to making laws.
It is for this reason that i once again call on ranking senators of the 10th assembly to save the National Assembly from hijack and grabbing by the executive arm of Government.
We appeal to our ranking Senators to put Nigeria first and curb the excesses and the impunity exhibited by the present Senate Leadership.

The Senate is a gathering of direct representatives of we, the people of Nigeria. The Senate does not exist to dance to the music of the President. The senate, as representative of the people is accountable to we, the people of Nigeria and not President Bola Tinubu.
It is my submission that the present 10th senate is in wrong hands and corrective action is required, in the interest of our democracy and Nigeria.
leadership.

In closing, I would also like to use this opportunity to appeal to the NASS to help drive the reduction in the cost of Governance.

Olufemi Adegbulugbe.
PfMP, PgMP, PMP, P. Geo
Member, Federalist Majority (Abuja & Washington DC) writes from Alberta, Canada.

Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Macdeey: 4:52pm On Aug 06

Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Lamasta(m): 4:54pm On Aug 06
We don't have someone like Saraki there that will outplay them to do the checkmate of the president

Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Chinkoalhaji34: 4:56pm On Aug 06
Na true talk you dey talk oo. Akpabio don bring fresh energy wey this assembly need. E go make sense if dem fit focus on the issues wey matter for we people. We dey watch how dem go take deliver on their promises, no time for slacking!

Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by TrackerSK: 4:58pm On Aug 06
The north should hear this,
You gave us buhari,we gave .you tinubu.
You gave us Ahmed lawan,in return we gave you akpabio.You guys thought that you are smart.,
Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Seefinish: 5:12pm On Aug 06
Akpabio has turned NA into a ' jok" as my people usually " thiok'.
Proudly Akwa Ibom man, but I am ashamed of Akpabio
Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Racoon(m): 5:55pm On Aug 06
When one though the Ahmed Lawan-led Senate is the worst, Godswill Akpabio have elevated the bar of the nonsense to power infinity
Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Oilwell(m): 6:10pm On Aug 06
Philipponzaghi:
Senator Akpabio has a tremendous responsibility on his shoulders, and I believe he has the potential to steer the Senate towards greatness. It’s essential for him to embrace his role as a true leader, ensuring the Senate acts independently and effectively for the people. The 10th Assembly can rise above challenges if our leaders prioritize the needs of Nigerians over political affiliations. Let's hope for a renewed commitment to democracy and integrity!

Nairaland bot. Posting trash all the time. Nobody cares about what you believe. The write up is about whats on ground now.

Re: The 10th National Assembly (NASS) Under Senator Akpabio -by Olufemi Adegbulugbe by Salewa97: 6:17pm On Aug 06
Senator Akpabio is navigating a tough terrain.

Let's not forget the weight of leadership; it's not easy to balance loyalty and accountability. With time, he might just surprise us all!

Why Are They Not Slashing Their Security Votes / CBN Extends Deadline Day For Bank Verification Till October 30 / Is Lai Telling Lies?