Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,920 members, 7,980,280 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 10:40 AM

Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items (21039 Views)

Man Shares How He Made It In Business / Customers Experience Heavy Traffic At A Shopping Mall (Photos, Video) / Man Shares Photos Of The Money He Was Able To Save In His Piggy Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Blitzking: 3:38pm On Aug 07
GanagiBitrus:

Bag of Rice N350 in 1990 but now ~N100k.

Many people erroneously think the huge price difference is only as a result of inflation.

Yes, inflation is a contributing factor but the continuous increase in Minimum Wage without corresponding increase in Productivity is actually the major reason. If you check well, Min Wage in 1990 may be ~N500.

So instead of Govt to fight inflation, they keep increasing wages & each time Min Wage is increased, prices will also increase & the cycle continues.
That's the major reason we are in the current mess we are.
We actually don't need increase in minimum wage...things the masses need to survive be brought down..we don need minimum wage 70k..rather let bag of rice return to 10k..tomato to 500...Sardine to 450...panla to 200..pomo to 200. Indomie to 1900 groundnut oil 5 lit to 2500 palm oil 5lit to 1k

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Lungs: 3:39pm On Aug 07
Goodnewsforlife:
I can bet u weren't even born in 1990 but we must just put d blame on tinubu right

Oga shut up 40years old man

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by PDPdestroyer(m): 3:40pm On Aug 07
The irony is that Nigerians still complained bitterly of how unaffordable those items were! It’s an unending cycle
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by daniwise(m): 3:41pm On Aug 07
Zwooks:
Fake list. People and the deep desire for attention. Forged information. How can price for grunding egusi be the same as the price for bag of garri. We were alive in the 90s and things were far more cheaper than this

Matches in the 90s 26 Naira. For real ? And people would fall for this crap

yes,very very real.Its a bundle not just a single matchbox which might go for say N2 or N3 in those glorious days.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Marc3500: 3:41pm On Aug 07
Omo if to say time machine exist na to just go back in time tk flex life embarassed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by sunnyprof: 3:42pm On Aug 07
15.00, 300.00, 250.00, 10.00, 2000.00 etc.

Just add the two zeros and put coma one step before:

1,500, 30,000, 25,000, 1,000, 200,0000 etc.

shikena!!

i.e. 10x increase in 25 years good progress in a sellers market ...... what do you expect ?
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by cococandy(f): 3:42pm On Aug 07
undecided undecided
GanagiBitrus:

Many people erroneously think the huge price difference is only as a result of inflation.

Yes, inflation is a contributing factor but the continuous increase in Minimum Wage without corresponding increase in Productivity is actually the major reason. If you check well, Min Wage in 1990 may be ~N500.

So instead of Govt to fight inflation, they keep increasing wages & each time Min Wage is increased, prices will also increase & the cycle continues.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by nairalanda1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 07
GanagiBitrus:

1. I remember the time in 1991 or thereabouts when government increased wages for workers by 45%...within weeks , prices of food stuff and other things went up. Benefit wiped out.

2.Our food problems has, in my opinion, been due to the fact that we rely heavily on subsitence farming. It can't effectively feed a populaiton our size, so we have to import a good chunk of our food needs. LIke rice...I think we produce 2m tonns a year, when we need something like ten million tonns. Also, subsitence farming is expensive, and as a result....we can't meet our food needs. We need massive industrial level mass farming. That's how the US feeds its people and the world despite having less than 4% of its populaiton involved in farming.

3. At some point, we are going to have to diversify our economy and focus more on manufacturing goods and services, and exporting such. And we have to end subsidy on fuel and power because it is costing us too much in forex...meaning w elose forex by import, and forex by subsidy of fuel, and more forex. At the end, we get into more and more economic wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by daniwise(m): 3:49pm On Aug 07
Zwooks:
Fake list. People and the deep desire for attention. Forged information. How can price for grunding egusi be the same as the price for bag of garri. We were alive in the 90s and things were far more cheaper than this

Matches in the 90s 26 Naira. For real ? And people would fall for this crap[/quote]

yes,very very real.Its a bundle not just a single matchbox which might go for say N2 or N3 in those glorious days.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Manculated: 3:57pm On Aug 07
Blitzking:

We actually don't need increase in minimum wage...things the masses need to survive be brought down..we don need minimum wage 70k..rather let bag of rice return to 10k..tomato to 500...Sardine to 450...panla to 200..pomo to 200. Indomie to 1900 groundnut oil 5 lit to 2500 palm oil 5lit to 1k

Sardine Titus price should not exceed N300 while other brands should less like N150 and N120.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by IamHonourable1: 3:57pm On Aug 07
BALLOSKI:
Nigeria has deteriorated so much.

26 naira for matches? Is it for the carton or just one box? I want to know.
nawa for you,who are you asking the questions?Read you said no, now you're asking irrelevant question.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by nasoeb: 3:57pm On Aug 07
Zwooks:

MN
Shatap if you have nothing meaningful to say. The op said "note in bags.... By implication packs too"

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Lionize: 3:58pm On Aug 07
Newlymarried:

Credit: Mr Mekzy

That okazi for restaurant?
And the matches, na how many packs abi cartons be dat?
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Tackle247: 4:03pm On Aug 07
ImpeccableDust:
Back then you can buy

Rice #5

Beans #5

Spag #5

Big fish #5

Pure water two for #5

If you carry #30 go school then, you be yahoo boy.
Back then that you are talking about was expensive. I remember a classmate ate food worth of N1 in 1990 and 2 men in that canteen said the boy is a thief and they were very sure it was not his parent that gave him that amount for food

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Kaiser20: 4:06pm On Aug 07
Tinubu Supporters, AKA Agbadorian- Zombies, will say that there is no reason for the Protest.
Foreign delicates have infiltrated the country to cause trouble for Tinubu
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by ponishah: 4:08pm On Aug 07
GanagiBitrus:

You people are lazy economists, you don't know what you are saying at all.
How does increase of a sector of workers increase the prices of goods and services? How? You all keep saying this and I continue laughing at you.
You said it because you heard when some unintelligent self I acclaimed financial analyst say it.

OK, since May 29th 2023 that buhari left office wages of civil servants have not changed, until a year and two months after, still not imported. Price of rice was between N40,000 and N 50,000 as at May 29 2023,, now a bag of rice is between N80000 and N100,090.
So I ask you and your fellow fake economists, which change in minimum wage caused that?

Una go just dey talk with thinking.
Most of the high costs of goods and services are man made wickedness. Government need to look into pricing.
In Nigeria, retailers make more profit per unit of goods and produces than the companies that produce the goods and the farmers that cultivated.

Even if you don't increase salaries for the next 3 years, price of rice will still increase up to N150,000.
Let me shock your Braun, all these so called Professor of economics and finance are, are classroom experts.
Just theories from normal Olevel principles of economics, that is where all their analysis end.
If, not why are we always in double digits skyrocketing inflation?

SOLUTIONS
Government need to step into price control mechanisms.
Government should only ban the importation of goods and produces we have comparative advantage on, then lift ban on importation of goods we don't have such comparative advantages on.

So much corruption in government , CBN, banks, petroleum industry, that is the biggest problem of Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Tizu(m): 4:14pm On Aug 07
Minimum wage was N275.00
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by JuanDeDios: 4:20pm On Aug 07
Enbes:
Did he say a bag of Rice was 350 naira ?
Yes. And everyone was complaining about it. This had become very expensive as of 1990 due to the devaluation and inflation that started once Babangida started to implement SAP.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by JuanDeDios: 4:22pm On Aug 07
GanagiBitrus:

Wage increase is not the reason for inflation - it's usually a response to inflation. As of 1990, things had become very expensive and workers were complaining. I'm sure workers would have preferred stagnated wages if the government could return prices to what they were before Babangida started to implement SAP which devalued the naira and brought about inflation.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by easzypeaszy(m): 4:22pm On Aug 07
Enbes:
Bag of rice 350
Egusi 100 plus, guy dis tin go fake oooo
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Quebec91(m): 4:30pm On Aug 07
You said it all
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Bros btwn may 2023 when PBAT was sworn in and now presently august, 2024 the price of rice increased from 30k to 100k, and they have not increased or implemented minimum wage o, within this period.

So what caused this inflation? So as you can see your argument lacks merit, it is not valid.

Mr man just say terrible management of the economy by this regime.

Endemic corruption in high and low places, corruption of values, corruption of reward system. Lack of patriotism, disunity, economic sabotage, we can go on and on

If this corruption monster is tackled head on, trust me in 5 years, we will pay our national debts, and begin to lend to many nations instead of borrowing as we are currently doing now.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by gentleguy1975: 4:34pm On Aug 07
Hmm, but,#350 was huge back then oo,my first salary on September 30 1992 was #450 and I felt on top of the world

Modified
Comparing with Saudi Arabia
A bottle of coke was 2Riyadh back then in 1983 equivalent to 40kobo in Nigeria and same amount for a bottle of coke,fast forward to 2013 a bottle of coke remained two Riyad in Saudi Arabia but here in Nigeria it was #70 and the exchange rate to a Riyad then was around #40
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Adakintroy: 4:46pm On Aug 07
Newlymarried:

Credit: Mr Mekzy

Share ur 90 salary vs now too.

Them don raise the bar make every try jump higher.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by CarlosTheJackal: 4:47pm On Aug 07
Goodnewsforlife:
this is a pure lie

The list is even inflated

How can matches b 26 naira as at 1990 when I still bought for 3 naira around 99

This list is wack
That's for a carton. Can't you see most of those things are for bulk purchase?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Emeka71(m): 4:48pm On Aug 07
Enbes:
Yes o.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 4:55pm On Aug 07
Zwooks:

That thing na grinding engine/grinding machine.

Today grinding machine go be around ₦150, 000.

Why clear handwriting go dey hard you to read like this?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by winwin1234: 5:06pm On Aug 07
Omenapounds:
1999 too far, 2015 when I started my apprentice we sell a carton of 20leaves exercise books (ctn contains 24 packs, each pack contains 18pcs) for 2500 naira.

As I speak with you now 1 packet is 1700 naira
And a carton is 40,000.

That's what you get when you choose tribalism over competence..

I always tell people, an average igbo man doesn't care about your tribe if he sees you're more competent than his blood brother, he won't hesitate to make you his manager over his own brother. Na Yoruba and hausa dey carry tribe for head

Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by OLULAW: 5:07pm On Aug 07
Fake list.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by Ojady(m): 5:20pm On Aug 07
This is how by 2050, someone too will compare today's prices with their own - On a lighter note: Enh! If you wan help yaself, charter bus carry go back to the 90s na! - β€œSay not, 'Why were the former days better than these? ' For it is not from wisdom that you ask this.”(Ecclesiastes 7:10)
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by edogram2: 5:31pm On Aug 07
I still remember the end to obj first term when a bag of 50kg rice was 2k. It got a bit worst in his second term. And it was heading to 4k in obj second term in office.

During Jonathan a bag of rice was around 7-8k 2015

Nigeria paid alot sacrifice for obj second term.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by GanagiBitrus: 5:32pm On Aug 07
JuanDeDios:

Wage increase is not the reason for inflation - it's usually a response to inflation. As of 1990, things had become very expensive and workers were complaining. I'm sure workers would have preferred stagnated wages if the government could return prices to what they were before Babangida started to implement SAP which devalued the naira and brought about inflation.
The point is that Govt should focus on fighting inflation rather than increasing wages which will further fuel higher inflation.
Re: Nigerian Man Shares A Shopping List From The 90s With Prices Of Food Items by GanagiBitrus: 5:35pm On Aug 07
ponishah:

You people are lazy economists, you don't know what you are saying at all.
How does increase of a sector of workers increase the prices of goods and services? How? You all keep saying this and I continue laughing at you.
You said it because you heard when some unintelligent self I acclaimed financial analyst say it.

OK, since May 29th 2023 that buhari left office wages of civil servants have not changed, until a year and two months after, still not imported. Price of rice was between N40,000 and N 50,000 as at May 29 2023,, now a bag of rice is between N80000 and N100,090.
So I ask you and your fellow fake economists, which change in minimum wage caused that?

Una go just dey talk with thinking.
Most of the high costs of goods and services are man made wickedness. Government need to look into pricing.
In Nigeria, retailers make more profit per unit of goods and produces than the companies that produce the goods and the farmers that cultivated.

Even if you don't increase salaries for the next 3 years, price of rice will still increase up to N150,000.
Let me shock your Braun, all these so called Professor of economics and finance are, are classroom experts.
Just theories from normal Olevel principles of economics, that is where all their analysis end.
If, not why are we always in double digits skyrocketing inflation?

SOLUTIONS
Government need to step into price control mechanisms.
Government should only ban the importation of goods and produces we have comparative advantage on, then lift ban on importation of goods we don't have such comparative advantages on.

So much corruption in government , CBN, banks, petroleum industry, that is the biggest problem of Nigeria

Calm down Bro. We no dey quarrel.
The point is that Govt should focus on fighting inflation rather than increasing wages which will further fuel higher inflation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GSK Quits Kenya 4 Months After Nigeria Exit / Etisalat May Leave Nigeria Over $1.2bn Loan Default / Bill Gates Is World's Richest, Surpases Carlos Slim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.