Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,959 members, 7,963,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 02:27 AM

Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) (27701 Views)

Canadian Football Team 1984 Vs 2024 / All African Games: Nigeria wins 7 Gold Medals On Sunday / "The Gold Medals Are Starting To Peel Off" Said Tokyo Olympians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Gistmedia10: 1:24pm On Aug 12
A photo making rounds on social media has sparked conversations about the changing composition of Olympic gold medals over the years. The image contrasts a gold medal from the 1908 Olympics, which was made of 100% pure gold, with a 2024 Olympic gold medal, reportedly containing just 1% gold.

The 1908 medal, a relic of the early modern Olympics, represents a time when the prestige of the games was mirrored in the material value of the medals themselves. In contrast, the 2024 Olympic gold medal, although still highly symbolic, reflects the evolution of the games and the shifting priorities in material usage due to economic and environmental considerations.

This comparison has fueled discussions online, with many expressing nostalgia for the older, purer medals, while others emphasize the significance of the achievements these medals represent, regardless of their material composition. The photo serves as a stark reminder of how the Olympics—and the world—have changed over more than a century.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by DevilsEqual(m): 1:27pm On Aug 12
cheesy
According to Blaise Pascal "It is not only old and early impressions that deceive us; the charms of novelty have the same power too.”

So either u believe the old medal or the new one is more creative, Pascal already said you both are wrong

The world wanna move from Greek-Only to a Global competition, I guess.

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by brain54(m): 1:40pm On Aug 12
I want to think they were fewer people participating in the Olympics then...

So providing pure gold as medals wouldn't have cost so much.

On the other hand more participants in modern Olympics would require more logistics and the cost of providing pure gold as medals would be skyrocketing. Who would bear this cost. And can it even be afforded by the organizers?

The issue here is cost reduction.

A symbolic gold medal to me is enough.

Maybe athletes can be compensated or rewarded by the country's they represented and won medals for.

To reduce the cost burden on the organizers!

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Ikaeniyan0: 1:43pm On Aug 12
DevilsEqual:
cheesy
According to Blaise Pascal "It is not only old and early impressions that deceive us; the charms of novelty have the same power too.”

So either u believe the old medal and the new one is more creative, Pascal already said you both are wrong
Well, I will still choose the 1908 100% gold medal over 2024 1% gold medal

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by NoahHadNoArk: 2:14pm On Aug 12
brain54:

On the other hand more participants in modern Olympics would require more logistics and the cost of providing pure gold as medals would be skyrocketing. Who would bear this cost. And can it even be afforded by the organizers?

Maybe athletes can be compensated or rewarded by the country's they represented and won medals for.

Put it as you wish

But money and budgeting is the least worry for the organizers of The Olympics

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by brain54(m): 2:42pm On Aug 12
NoahHadNoArk:

Put it as you wish

But money and budgeting is the least worry for the organizers of The Olympics

Doesn't mean they have a limitless budget...

What other reason do you have to explain the reason from the change to 1% gold?

It's cost!

18 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by victory36(m): 2:54pm On Aug 12
brain54:

This is more of greed on the IOCs part. Each medal weighs 412g on average, a 412g medal of pure gold should cost around $30k multiplied by the approximately 1500 medals gives $45m . Considering the IOC makes $5.7bn and $740m in sponsorship alone, that figure is not some thing to fret about as it's the Olympics we're talking about not some highschool interhouse sport.

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by brain54(m): 3:06pm On Aug 12
victory36:
This is more of greed on the IOCs part. Each medal weighs 412g on average, a 412g medal of pure gold should cost around $30k multiplied by the approximately 1500 medals gives $45m . Considering the IOC makes $5.7bn and $740m in sponsorship alone, that figure is not some thing to fret about as it's the Olympics we're talking about not some highschool interhouse sport.

Okay greed is also a tenable reason...

But also remember that asides "printing" those gold bars. They are also other logistic costs to be taken care of. Also won't it mean them having to issue real silver and bronze medals as well?

All of these will add to costs. Including other logistics as I mentioned earlier.

Plus I won't expect them to expend everything they made on a single Olympics... Still 4 years to plan, execute and organize another Olympics ahead.

We really don't know how much money they make and how much they budget so we can only speculate figures.

But the truth is however we look at it... It will still all boil down to cost reduction.

And by the way the last Olympics at Tokyo had 11000 participants... While the just ended one in Paris had about 10,500 participants.

I don't know how many of them won medals though... But imagine the logistic cost of taking care of 11000 people!

13 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by SpaceX: 8:47pm On Aug 12
corruption has eaten humanity and it's getting worst by the day, we no longer have standard cutting corners is the Order of the day. So sad!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Lamasta(m): 10:22pm On Aug 12
brain54:

The sponsors funds is suppose to cater for this, the organizers can do better cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Brainhub: 8:44am On Aug 13
Amazing
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by kennyz247(m): 8:45am On Aug 13
Evolution
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by dominique(f): 8:46am On Aug 13
Those medals that looked like cupcake wrappers

5 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Omoluabi16(m): 8:46am On Aug 13
Olympics wey include break dance, that one na Olympics? Is it not preferable to include scrabble, chess or perhaps 1,2,3 salatu go?

2 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Cmanforall: 8:46am On Aug 13
Okay

It's quite some money there for anyone with such 100% pure gold

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by SaturnNick(m): 8:46am On Aug 13
Change is a constant thing

1 Like

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Theoarhics: 8:46am On Aug 13
Tinubu don still reach here? What APC cannot do does not exist

2 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Meekness32(m): 8:46am On Aug 13
Okay
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by MorolayoVictor(m): 8:47am On Aug 13
Civilization!
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by jericco1(m): 8:47am On Aug 13
Fake gold

1 Like

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by diamond68: 8:48am On Aug 13
shocked
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by KingLennon(m): 8:48am On Aug 13
Atleast, it would have been 50% gold. 1% is too poor for an ancient game like olympics which is one of the most sponsored event in the world sad

4 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Kingosytex(m): 8:50am On Aug 13
Times are changing, so does quality grin
You can't compare what was obtainable then to what's on ground now. Things are adulterated and it's quality keep reducing as days go by.

Some food commodities aren't left behind also. The qualities of these commodities keep depreciating as the days go by.
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by MrBanner(m): 8:51am On Aug 13
Where will the organisers get the money to give out pure gold at a time like this?
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by sylve11: 8:51am On Aug 13
Hmmm cool
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by CHIOMAEZEH: 8:52am On Aug 13
brain54:

hmmm..... Check the budget for the Olympics in the 1900s and check budget for that in 2024, and you will see that the most recent one costs more to host.... If they really want to use pure gold, they could have factored all those on the budget.

Do you know how many organisations sponsor Olympics? Even television and other rights being sold by the Olympic committee generated billions.

Truth is current happenings has shown that organisers if the Olympics are more capitalist, they don't even pay winners or attendees of the Olympics well, in accordance to how much is being generated.

Popular Podcaster, Joe Rogan exposed their antics a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCZjx53R9P0

3 Likes

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by iichidodo: 8:52am On Aug 13
Honours won at Olympic games just like it originally was in Bronze age Greece are simply commemorative not financial in nature and function. Hell, most of the winners then had only leaf on their heads as prize but all of Mycenae Greece would kill themselves to have one even Hercules himself. Placing gold bullion on the necks of amateur athletes goes not only against the spirit of the Olympics but would risk the lives of the recipients and families to pirates, thieves and cutthroats.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by PheelzAlmighty: 8:54am On Aug 13
Nothing to see here, just humans being humans..
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Michael547(m): 8:54am On Aug 13
Ok
Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by OriOko88(m): 8:54am On Aug 13
cool
How oyinbos used their mythology and legends to influence the world is staggering.

Their believe that a certain messanger ran from a town called Marathon to Athens,in Greece to announce a victorious war against the Persian is just conspicuous. How can a man ran a whooping 40km non stop. Hmm

I wonder why the same Europeans will not accept our own Yoruba legends and mythology. Interesting!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olympic Gold Medals: 1908 Vs 2024 (Photos) by Lexusgs430: 8:55am On Aug 13
Do you know the current cost of real gold......... 😁

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Victor Anichebe Caught In Twitter 'Copy And Paste' / My Nigerian Fans Ask Me For Money Instead Of Autographs – Alex Iwobi / Copa America : Messi Blames Poor state of Pitches On His Woeful Performances

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.