Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,204,073 members, 7,987,805 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 05:12 PM

Let's Go Back To The Basis - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Let's Go Back To The Basis (79 Views)

I.A.R. The Basis Of How To Get The Most Out Of Your Reading Time... / 9 Destructive Habits Every University Student Should Let Go / Abbreviations Many Use On Daily Basis Without Knowing The Full Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Let's Go Back To The Basis by Abiham357: 3:06pm On Aug 12
Kudos to the honourable minister of education, Prof. Tahir Mammoh, for making himself available at the policy meeting organized by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) with the Vice Chancellors, Rectors and Provosts from different tertiary institutions in Nigeria and stakeholders in the educational sector where minimum benchmark score for 2024/2025 admission was agreed upon.
Honourable minister, I’m hundred per cent (100%) concur with your decision to set the age limit to 18 years for entrance into tertiary institutions in Nigeria come next year's academic session. Those who can project with deep thinking and sound analytical minds would agree with me that the educational system in Nigeria needs a Messiah like you. The age limit policy has been in existence for time immemorial but only people outside sentiment can recollect.
I read an article posted on Opera mini news written by one educational researcher and concerned Nigeria on Monday, 29/7/2024. I beg to disagree with the following reasons.
Firstly, Private schools, Nursery And Primary schools today have tactically erased primary six classes from their classes by allowing pupils to write the Common Entrance Examination while in primary five, at the approximate age of 9 or 10, except for a few schools. The benchmark will also reduce the influence of parents on the school by determining the class to place their children without evidence of competency. I know a child of eight (cool years; she is in primary four, going to primary five by September when schools resume for the next session. The question is when did she start primary one?

It pisses me off when the government is working tirelessly to come up with a policy for the rapid development of the nation, but some people will flaunt their sentiment under the pretence of a better Nigeria.

Secondly, Another horrible experience was shared by the registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Professor Isiaq Oloyede, who narrated at the policy meeting that he was called to confirm a teenager who graduated from Nigeria University at the age of 15. Now, went abroad for his Master's degree. Even the whites were furious at his claims until confirmation was made.

Ironically, if rich people fasten the education of their children, it is clear that they want them to come and take charge of their investments, but if the poor do the same without proper education, the end shall not justify the means. Why rushing?

Thirdly, a common proverb says, "Life is systematic. If you missed a step, it is difficult to start again” That is why people find it tough to learn a vocational skill after being a graduate. It beats my imagination why parents who rush the education of their child are interested in just to have his/her child graduate instead of having an employer of labour.

Rushing a child into a higher institution is a parasite that destroys the progress of our educational system in this country, and the effect is so magnanimous that immature newly admitted students (Jambite) can easily be lured into cultism, rape and other criminal acts.

The age limit reverted by the honourable minister will help to retrace and articulate the educational policy of the 6-3-3-4 system, 6 years in primary school, 3 years for junior secondary school, 3 years for senior secondary school, plus 6 years before primary education. The addition of all these will give you 18 years before entry into university or other tertiary institutions. It means those who are against your stand on your educational revived policy are far away from facts.

Dear Sir, this age limit set at the policy meeting would be able to distinguish between unemployed and employable graduates: Unemployed graduates are those who don’t have any vocational skill that can be used to engage themselves after the service year. The truth is that nowhere in the world does the government provide jobs for everybody; what the government does is create an enabling environment and level playing ground for people to strive and explore. According to research, graduates of higher institutions are the most victims because they believe their certificates can do it all. I’m not against going to school to acquire a higher certificate, but the reality on the ground now is that it must be backed up with vocational skills which could be better achieved within the period after secondary school education and before gaining admission to higher learning.

The employable graduates are the semi-skilled labour (The artisans) who graduate from vocational schools. They set up their businesses shortly after their graduation, and they employed themselves, neither looking for someone to employ them.

Another advantage of age limits to 18 years before the entrance to higher learning is that it will also pave the way for any smart child to learn and acquire practical skills or work for 2 years within the age of 16-18 years in related areas in their course of study. Of course, that is how it was in the 60s and 70s when people worked for some time before going further with their studies. Then, they are very deep with sound knowledge in their chosen career.

Now, we are in a hurry to produce graduates of higher learning without an iota of related practicals to their area of study. What a disgraced setback for the nation.

#Osumare Hamed#
#Lagos#

(1) (Reply)

Introduction To Simultaneous Linear Equation / Inquiry On PTE Score/ Mock Test / Dele Farotimi Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.