Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,466 members, 7,929,548 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 04:27 PM

Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? (161 Views)

Why Are Banks Not Reversing Failed Transactions? / Why Are Nigerian Banks Not Using The Credit Card System Like Other Countries? / Do Banks Accept Prepaid Electric Bill Slip? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:39pm On Aug 12
It's a prerequisite for opening an account but when sth happens to the parent holder and the next of kin appears, they'd keep making it difficult for that person to access the account. And at the end, the person never ever gets access to that account.

This thing happens pretty much in Nigeria. Why?
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:39pm On Aug 12
My friend told me they had to do a survey with some banks in Nigeria using their dad's account who had just died. And the account was one getting pensionable incentives, but not withdraws.

These banks made it verily impossible for them to access these funds till date.

My question is simple: if you aren't planning on the remittance of the full account to the desired next of kin the parent holder of the account included, why make it a necessity?

This seems like an old scam in the banking sector and nobody seems talking about it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:45pm On Aug 12
I had to read some experiences from others from different sources and is now convinced that it's a calculated scam. Do you have these experiences?

This scam needs to stop!

Corruption is in every sector: it is the cankerworm that has taken dominance, and makes the host obeys.

cc: Mynd44, Dominque, nlfpmod

1 Like

Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:48pm On Aug 12
I mean, if my Next of Kin wouldn't later have access to my account when I am no more--you know, frustrated by the bank--I see no reason leaving big sums and filling "Next of Kin."

If you see wetin dem dey use next of kin do for bank, you sef go pity am.

These mofos be living fat of adamant accounts!
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by risos(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12
The more reason why your money should be invested, circulating in the economy
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by immortalcrown(m): 8:51pm On Aug 12
Next of kin is useless without Payable on Death (PoD).

Banks don't tell customers about PoD because the banks hope to steal from the accounts when the customers die.
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:51pm On Aug 12
risos:
The more reason why your money should be invested, circulating in the economy

Banks also pay a major role in the circulation.

I actually also did a research recently and found out that the banking sector is the biggest avenue for money laundering.

So what suggestion is better?

Crypto?
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 8:53pm On Aug 12
immortalcrown:
Next of kin is useless without Payable on Death (PoD).

Banks don't tell customers about PoD because the banks hope to steal from the accounts when the customers die.

Exactly.

And only after death would they announce it.
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by mariovito(m): 9:18pm On Aug 12
F
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by risos(m): 9:23pm On Aug 12
chatinent:

Banks also pay a major role in the circulation.

I actually also did a research recently and found out that the banking sector is the biggest avenue for money laundering.

So what suggestion is better?

Crypto?
I understand one can store money in crypto having its value increase over time.
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by chatinent: 9:33pm On Aug 12
risos:
I understand one can store money in crypto having its value increase over time.

Yeah, chief.
Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by Kelklein(m): 12:02am On Aug 13
It's a scam they have perfected in order to steal dead depositors fund.. and it happens alot here. In all of the banks.

Most accounts go dormant.. esp those ones that the dead customer did not disclose to family members.

Banks should create a culture of reaching out to customers that leaves account dormant for more than one year. And when they can't reach the customer, they should reach the NOK..

Nigerian banks don't do this simple task because they have plans to steal your money upon death if nobody comes along eventually.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Banks Not Acknowledge Next Of Kin In Nigeria? by Teibaba(m): 9:09pm On Aug 13
Forget it
Banks are the next of kin of 99% of their customers today.
Those guys are serious criminals

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: Inflation Moderates To 11.25% In March / Chain Link Fence / Making The Incredible Affordable �

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.