Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,376 members, 7,929,186 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:31 AM

Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? (136 Views)

Leke Adeboye: 'RCCG Is A Threat To Islam In Nigeria' - Pastor Adeboye's Son Says / Daddy Freeze Blasts Leke Adeboye Over 'RCCG Is A Threat To Islam' Post / 5 Old Beliefs Of Pastor Kumuyi Of Deeper Life Which He Latter Abandoned (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 3:04pm On Aug 15
For some within Christendom, scholarly corrections may be perceived as threats to the integrity of the faith, particularly when they seem to contradict long-held beliefs or official church teachings.

For example, New Testament scholars like Bert Ehrman maintains that Jesus cannot be God, pointing to the fact that it is only in the gospel of john that Jesus starts calling himself god, as opposed to the 6 earlier Sources.

Ehrman doesn't hold this belief alone. He shares it with many other scholars, and the video link is also available below.

I am personally convinced that if a billion Christians get a fair hearing on these matters, if they ask questions and get objective response, the population will be less than 5% of what it is now.

Videos below:

For those concerned about why I make these posts. I don't have any problem with Christians. Like many Africans, I have family members who are Christians because they were born in it. I do this for them because they held the faith without knowledge, and a little scrutiny is what Christianity needs to fall apart. I have achieved my aim with them, and now I'm extending the hand to people.

Learning Christianity outside the church will shake you to your core. No one should gate-keep knowledg just so people dont leave a religion.

Videos.

Erhman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C96FPHRTuQU?si=V9XCry8zDqtiw0nC

Other videos of bible scholars :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFkvQ__TO8?si=TFf04yGD2zJaa37o
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 10:28am On Aug 16
Whyai:
For some within Christendom, scholarly corrections may be perceived as threats to the integrity of the faith, particularly when they seem to contradict long-held beliefs or official church teachings.

For example, New Testament scholars like Bert Ehrman maintains that Jesus cannot be God, pointing to the fact that it is only in the gospel of john that Jesus starts calling himself god, as opposed to the 6 earlier Sources.

Ehrman doesn't hold this belief alone. He shares it with many other scholars, and the video link is also available below.

I am personally convinced that if a billion Christians get a fair hearing on these matters, if they ask questions and get objective response, the population will be less than 5% of what it is now.

Videos below:

For those concerned about why I make these posts. I don't have any problem with Christians. Like many Africans, I have family members who are Christians because they were born in it. I do this for them because they held the faith without knowledge, and a little scrutiny is what Christianity needs to fall apart. I have achieved my aim with them, and now I'm extending the hand to people.

Learning Christianity outside the church will shake you to your core. No one should gate-keep knowledg just so people dont leave a religion.

Videos.

Erhman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C96FPHRTuQU?si=V9XCry8zDqtiw0nC

Other videos of bible scholars :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFkvQ__TO8?si=TFf04yGD2zJaa37o

Alright.....do you believe in any true religion outside Christianity? If yes, which one?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 5:55pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

Alright.....do you believe in any true religion outside Christianity? If yes, which one?

It's personal, and with respect, it's absolutely none of your business. I share why i hold an opinion on a topic and others share theirs.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 6:14pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

It's personal, and with respect, it's absolutely none of your business. I share why i hold an opinion on a topic and others share theirs.
Do You mean you share negative opinion on a religion and you keep the opinion of the true religion from others?
Would that actually be setting people free?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 6:47pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

Do You mean you share negative opinion on a religion and you keep the opinion of the true religion from others?
Would that actually be setting people free?

You are free to share whatever your opinion is on a public forum.

I hate when Christians get all insecure and defensive instead of sfanding up for themselves. You're asking so you can find sth to argue as a basis for bias. You're not getting nothing out of me.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 6:50pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

You are free to share whatever your opinion is on a public forum.

I hate when Christians get all insecure and defensive instead of sfanding up for themselves. You're asking so you can find sth to argue as a basis for bias. You're not getting nothing out of me.
You claimed that Christianity is false, you may actually be right. There is no need defending what is false.
I believe you must know the truth for you to determine that Christianity is false...I am only asking that you share the truth with us.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 7:30pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

You claimed that Christianity is false, you may actually be right. There is no need defending what is false.
I believe you must know the truth for you to determine that Christianity is false...I am only asking that you share the truth with us.

I'm no preacher. In the continuous search for truth, Christianity is struck out at least. I study things and share what experts say on it.

If you agree with the experts, good for you, if you don't, off you go.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 7:33pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

I'm no preacher. In the continuous search for truth, Christianity is struck out at least. I study things and share what experts say on it.

If you agree with the experts, good for you, if you don't, off you go.
So you mean that up till now you've not found the truth?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 7:34pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

So you mean that up till now you've not found the truth?

Apparently, it's not Christianity.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 7:36pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

Apparently, it's not Christianity.
Then what is it?
Let's move away from Christianity....we don't even have to mention that word again in our conversation.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 7:51pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

Then what is it?
Let's move away from Christianity....we don't even have to mention that word again in our conversation.

Now, this is an interesting question.

What is truth.

First that God is one and a supreme entity, everlasting, and without weakness or anything to lose.

Orthodox Christianity seem consistent with this idea of God, until paul ruined it with his desperate Trinity idelogies.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 7:53pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

Now, this is an interesting question.

What is truth.

First that God is one and a supreme entity, everlasting, and without weakness or anything to lose.

Alright......where did you get the information in bold from?

And how do we know that there is a God actually?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 7:57pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

Alright......where did you get the information in bold from?

And how do we know that there is a God actually?

It's impossible that all these has no creator. Science doesn't have enough to disprove it.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 7:59pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

It's impossible that all these has no creator. Science doesn't have enough to disprove it.
Alright...let's go with that.

but how do you know that God is one and a supreme entity, everlasting, and without weakness or anything to lose?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 8:02pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

Alright...let's go with that.

but how do you know that God is one and a supreme entity, everlasting, and without weakness or anything to lose?

This is the only possible triat of a God that would explain the perfect order in our imperfect and chaotic universe.

The Christian god, according to the bible can't fully manage a garden, how much more the EARTH or universe. His authority was challenged, God ought to be too great for such enfrontry.

The devil and his army did failą in their coup attempt, but they tried because they really fancied their chances.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 8:10pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

This is the only possible triat of a God that would explain the perfect order in our imperfect and chaotic universe.

The Christian god, according to the bible can't fully manage a garden, how much more the EARTH or universe. His authority was challenged, God ought to be too great for such enfrontry.

The devil's and his army did failą in their coup attempt, but they tried because they really fancy their chances.

So you mean that Two or more Gods cannot ensure that there is perfection in our imperfect and chaotic universe?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 8:15pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

So you mean that Two or more Gods cannot ensure that there is perfection in our imperfect and chaotic universe?

Highly unlikely, because that would imply such beings must have been created. A God can't have a beginning.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 8:18pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

Highly unlikely, because that would imply such beings must have been created. A God can't have a beginning.

If Your One God ideology is that he was not created, Why can't two or more Gods be said not to have been created and have a beginning?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 8:44pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

If Your One God ideology is that he was not created, Why can't two or more Gods be said to not have been created and have a beginning?

You'd have to give a reason you think that is. I gavę you mine, do the same as well.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 8:54pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

You'd have to give a reason you think that is. I gavę you mine, do the same as well.
I'm only asking a question pertaining to what you are teaching me here.
You've said that there is only one Uncreated God.
And my question is Why can't there be two or more uncreated Gods?
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 10:26pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

I'm only asking a question pertaining to what you are teaching me here.
You've said that there is only one Uncreated God.
And my question is Why can't there be two or more uncreated Gods?

Your answer is in my previous response. It's reasonable to presume there can only be one God. If there are more, he cannot be absolute.

Having a second or third or fourth would mean the god needs support.
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 11:08pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

Your answer is in my previous response. It's reasonable to presume there can only be one God. If there are more, he cannot be absolute.

Having a second or third or fourth would mean the god needs support.

How do we even know that God is absolute?

What if God is not absolute and he needs support From other uncreated Gods?

How do we even know that this God was not created by Another God And so on and so forth?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Whyai: 11:20pm On Aug 16
Michael547:

How do we know that God is absolute?

What if God is not absolute and he needs support From other uncreated Gods?

How do we even know that this God was not created by Another God And so on and so forth?

Then you'll fall into unending questions with no hope of solution.

I'd rather believe a version that seems most probable, which is:

There's an absolute God that manages the whole universe down to the tiniest creature(just imagine the intelligence and amazing build of a mosquito) .
Re: Does Pursuing Bible Scholarship Pose A Threat To Mainstream Christian Beliefs? by Michael547(m): 11:31pm On Aug 16
Whyai:

Then you'll fall into unending questions with no hope of solution.

I'd rather believe a version that seems most probable, which is:

There's an absolute God that manages the whole universe down to the tiniest creature(just imagine the intelligence and amazing build of a mosquito) .
Well you may be correct...you may also be wrong..... we may never know this God or Gods and his attributes without him telling us by himself or themselves.
So how can we be sure of these things that we are saying or thinking about God?

(1) (Reply)

'the Beginning" / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 07/12/19 / Prayer Points On Today's Open Heavens :thursday, December 12, 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.