Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,574 members, 7,929,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 02:26 AM

Kudirat Kekere-Ekun: Profile Of The 23rd Chief Justice Of Nigeria - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kudirat Kekere-Ekun: Profile Of The 23rd Chief Justice Of Nigeria (21189 Views)

Pictures From The Swearing Of New CJN, Kudirat Kekere-Ekun / Tinubu Swears-in Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun As Chief Justice Of Nigeria / 10 Things To Know About Justice Kudirat Kekere-Ekun, NJC's Recommended CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Kudirat Kekere-Ekun: Profile Of The 23rd Chief Justice Of Nigeria by MightySparrow: 9:51pm On Aug 23
AndroBlaze:

I always ask myself, how Ekun is Tiger when Tigers are not native to Yorubaland or even Africa as a whole. Does it mean our forefathers were giving names and naming themselves after imaginary animals they never saw? Its not logical seeing as the word "Ekun" has probably been in use for at least a 150 years or so.

That's why I agree with those who insist it means leopard. Probably a bigger kind of leopard but still a leopard

Leopard may have existed in the past. Some animals have gone into extinction by pouchers and or migrated to other places. Definitely leopard existed in Yoruba land to have been given a name.
Re: Kudirat Kekere-Ekun: Profile Of The 23rd Chief Justice Of Nigeria by AndroBlaze: 10:15pm On Aug 23
MightySparrow:

Leopard may have existed in the past. Some animals have gone into extinction by pouchers and or migrated to other places. Definitely leopard existed in Yoruba land to have been given a name.
I am not sure you understood what I said. Leopards still exist in the Southwest and the proper name for them is "Ekun". "Amotekun" is cheetah, which also existed in the SW. "Ekun", for people who understand the Yoruba culture cannot mean Tiger because it never existed at the time the expression was originally formed and in use.

https://globalvoices.org/2020/01/30/nigerias-operation-amo%CC%A9te%CC%A9kun-was-it-named-after-a-leopard-cheetah-or-tiger/#:~:text=This%20proverb%20affirms%20that%20Yor%C3%B9b%C3%A1,skins%2C%20compared%20with%20the%20tiger.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Woman Absconds With Anti-corruption Crusade Largesse In Lagos / Military Claims On Coup Plot Not Correct – Akande / Go And Face EFCC Eye Ball To Eye Ball, Kokori Tells Tompolo

Viewing this topic: Nigerfine3, arcnomso(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.