Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,413 members, 7,978,301 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:37 AM

FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams (20252 Views)

Hijab: Lagos State Government Released Circular To enforce Court Judgement / NECO Exams Resume On Monday, 9th November 2020 / Covid-19: FG Postpones WAEC, NECO Exams Indefinitely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by badostic: 4:13pm On Aug 26
The Maga, Minister of Education is joking. SERAP will soon issue him court order.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Schlumeinstein: 4:20pm On Aug 26
badostic:
The Maga, Minister of Education is joking. SERAP will soon issue him court order.
18 years is OK......STOP the COMPETITION
Schlumeinstein:
THE SYSTEM MUST BE OVERHAUL.....IT'S NOT THE AGE ......PARENT RUSH THIS CHILDREN UNNECESSARILY BECAUSE OF PEER PRESSURE...THEY PAID FOR DOUBLE PROMOTION AND" MIRACLE CENTRE "FOR THEIR CHILDREN TO PASS EXAMS.......SOME PARENT PUT THEIR WARDS IN A SCHOOL THEY CANNOT AFFORD BECAUSE OF " SOCIETAL CONNECTION",,SO THAT THEY WILL MINGLE AND IF THEY CALL PTA MEETING HE WILL RUSH TO CONTEST for PTA CHAIRMAN.......A LOT OF ANOMALY IN THE SCHOOL.......HOWEVER STUDENTS CAN'T FAIL ANY EXAMS IN THE SCHOOL BECAUSE OFTHE HUGE SCHOOL FEE PARENTS PAY.....IF THEY FAIL THE TEACHER WILL BE SACK. ......MEANWHILE SOME OF THE STUDENTS ARE AFFECTED MENTALLY BECAUSE OF IMMATURITY ....PSYCHOLOGICAL THEY ARE NOT FIT ACADEMICALLY.........
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Almunjid(m): 4:48pm On Aug 26
forexprophet:
The idiots can marry under age children and see nothing wrong about it.
It's saddening that the people from the region that is most backward in education are given the ministry of education to pilot. What do we expect...

This country eeh

Lol. Marrying underage girls is acceptable to him, while subjecting underage individuals to an "adult campus lifestyle" in the name of education is acceptable to you as well. Both of una need help. grin
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by drsibz66(m): 4:49pm On Aug 26
CyrusVI:
cheesy

That actually good. Considering the fact that Mental maturity is needed to excel in some top courses in the Uni

I know there are exceptional cases whereby a 17year old student can top his class in the Uni, but exceptions dont make the rules

If you do not understand the relationship between age-dependent higher cognitive reasoning and Academic excellence, then I wont be surprised to see u attack this good development

I honestly do not agree with you .
1st I will like to point out that humans develop differently and at different pace based on genetic make up, environment and exposure. If we have to place an age limit to education then we have not given a level playing ground for everyone.

There are geniuses in a every population , placing an age is therefore restricting their continuous learning and development which is detrimental to such groups.

I will also like to tell you that the people making this useless laws will send their children abroad to school and begin university at the age of 16.

Finally there should be no restrictions on academic development and education it gross stupidity. Even though age contributes to Wisdom, intelligence, brilliance is not the sole determinate and as such shouldn't be used exclusively to determine academic progress.

1 Like

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Felicox(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26
It's all just backward thinking. Instead of creating more universities and creating more employment opportunities for people and at the same time increasing the capacity of the system to cater for the growing need for higher education, they are indirectly telling parents to prepare themselves to send their children abroad for university education so that they the politicians will not have anything to do here in the educational institutions. At the end of the day, more and more people will be needing dollars and the value of naira will keep going down and the suffering continues. In the end, they just don't know what they are doing. Na anywhere belle face.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Felicox(m): 5:07pm On Aug 26
CyrusVI:
cheesy

That actually good. Considering the fact that Mental maturity is needed to excel in some top courses in the Uni

I know there are exceptional cases whereby a 17year old student can top his class in the Uni, but exceptions dont make the rules

If you do not understand the relationship between age-dependent higher cognitive reasoning and Academic excellence, then I wont be surprised to see u attack this good development

You should go and tell that to the 20 year olds heading departments and corporations out there. While the poor man's 16 year old who has finished secondary school will be waiting to turn 18, the rich man's child would have been sent abroad to start university. Coupled with the delays of actually passing jamb and gaining admission and the incessant strikes that means that they should be looking at finishing school by 25 and above. By then, the person who went abroad would have finished first and second degree and gained work experience, putting them way ahead. How is that good for anyone?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by kevinexit(m): 5:11pm On Aug 26
HBB1:

Dumbo!

Funny enough, I wrote WAEC 20 years ago too...
I was 15.

I barely studied because I was certain I would pass.
I had 2 As, 6Bs, 1 C4.
I could have done better, but hey... life continues.

Do you want to share your grades?

What for? That's my least worries now. I leave that for you to worry about. If you understand the system of education in Nigeria , you won't argue foolishly. I blame the corrupt system of education in Nigeria. No database.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by OlujobaSamuel: 5:15pm On Aug 26
kasim155:
I think the Minister of Education position should be handle by a Southerner. Some of these ppl from the other side are drawing us backward
I just dey laugh the idiot since the first day he mentioned that nonsense, he is one of those that brings his personal beliefs into governance policy, just like that Adebayo Shittu from Oyo State that was made min for comm wey dey seek for how to introduce Islamic rules into sim registration.
This current Edu min is the one sharing Bsc in Law to every Dick, Tom and Harry, he wan come dey form nonsense.
NLC won't see this to protest against, their own no pass salary matter, whereas, this is a policy that would have an impact on the pocket in future, as they will have to spend money to keep their wards busy while out of school

1 Like

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Kog45(m): 5:38pm On Aug 26
But minister of education can marry 9 to 12 years old girl according to Islam but our children should wait till 18 years of age to write WAEC and NECO…..stupid people
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by loswhite(m): 5:53pm On Aug 26
SoliBayNG:

Normally, uninformed people like you do not deserve a reply. Help your dead brain cells by watching relevant stuffs. It's folks like you that deserve the leaders you have. You coulda done a bit of research before exposing your level of emptiness to the world.

If it was left to you and your leaders, all these people woulda still been at home waiting to be 18. Run along, dimwit.
The internet allows dimwit uninformed idiots to quote or paste some extraordinary occurrences as a way to demonstrate foolishness. Age is requirement for schools in the United States and each state have specific age ranges for school attendances and if you don’t know that then you are a bigger idiot than I thought.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by GreatOchuks: 6:02pm On Aug 26
ezebunafo:
So what now happens if a child passed out of basic 5 by age 16,will he/she stays home till he is 18?
The child should get computer skills and maybe vocational skills like Fashion designing.
I support this move hundred percent.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by HBB1(m): 6:03pm On Aug 26
kevinexit:

What for? That's my least worries now. I leave that for you to worry about. If you understand the system of education in Nigeria , you won't argue foolishly. I blame the corrupt system of education in Nigeria. No database.

I thought so too.
You don't reason like a smart person.

I will leave you to it then.
Good luck!
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Gerrard59(m): 6:12pm On Aug 26
AreaFada2:
Silly policy. I know young people who could have been going to uni at 14 to 15 and mentally mature in my time. No magic centres then.
Yours truly's dad insisted on waiting for peers, like many parents did back then.

All the old men in govt today, how did their "mental maturity" help them fix economy, insecurity, inflation, poverty? shocked shocked

In 9ja, if some region is not dragging others down, govt is dragging the people down. At least 5 to 10 % of kids fall in the brackets of gifted people. Should it not be on individual basis? shocked shocked shocked shocked An American scientist that I have met, entered uni at 15. Although he was later disgraced due to racial nonsense later in life, he played a big role in making one of the biggest discoveries in science ever. He collected all possible awards for it. He is approaching 100 years of age as we speak.
Has to be James Watson. Am I correct?
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Gerrard59(m): 6:16pm On Aug 26
A terrible policy that leaves no room for exceptionally brilliant folks. Also, the prevalence of strike actions can elongate the years one spends in school. Looking at it, many upper middle class students won't study at Nigerian universities any longer. Middle class families who aspire to send their children to private universities are also affected. This is the result of leaving governance to very unintelligent people. Funny enough, except for a few, many Nigerian politicians' children don't study in Nigeria for their first degrees.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Gerrard59(m): 6:19pm On Aug 26
immortalcrown:
This policy is a stupid one because WAEC and NECO exams are not only for JAMB and admission to universities. Make 18 the minimum age for JAMB and admissions, but not for WAEC and NECO exams.

If you like, write WAEC and NECO exams at the age of 14. Use the next 4 years to learn trades, basic computing, tailoring, painting or any other skill. This will shape your career and help you to make wise decisions when choosing a program to do in university at the age of 18.

One other thing that should be made illegal in this case is sending kids that are below the age of 3 to school.
Another good point. As it is, better to prepare for the SAT between 15 - 18 and hustle for scholarships than wait for wait till 18 before writing WASSCE.

Man! Nigerian political elites are incompetent o. How are our children going to compete against the Chinese, Indians and Vietnamese? shocked
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Gerrard59(m): 6:22pm On Aug 26
Almunjid:
America this, America that. Copying American lifestyle and ideologies etc make u feel progressive? That's Inferiority complex. America is also celebrating Homosexuality, u and Ur children should also accept it, since America and the West are the ones that set the standard for how u should live Ur life.
We Africans should define our own path towards social, educational and economic progress. We don't have to depend on the Western world to dictate to us. Copy copy dey lead to "see finish" Ooo.
The best thing is to copy the good things and discard the bad ones. So, yes, the poster you quoted is correct. The Chinese also do the same. Has China legalised homosexual marriages? How does allowing children to write WASSCE equate to the Western world dictating to us?
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Gerrard59(m): 6:25pm On Aug 26
Everlastingson:
This is simply a ploy by the Muslim North to draw the South back, since majority of their people never go to school. They give their daughters aged below 15 in marriage but require Nigerians to wait till 18 before writing WAEC and JAMB. They want to discourage our children from pursuing education. This is an evil and Satanic agenda and must be resisted. If this evil decision stands the consequences are hydraheaded. This will cause millions of teens in the South who graduate from secondary school before 18 to roam the streets for years and you know the implications of that.
Why APC is so devilish is beyond me. Go to other countries and see youths who graduate from University at 17-18years.Here evil APC is saying Nigerians should only write WAEC at 18. Knowing fully well that man y won't make it in one sitting. So potentially many will enter the University at 20 and above and graduate at 30. It's only in a Tinubu Presidency that you hear this sort of wickedness being the focus of a government. Even Buhari wasn't as evil.
Nigerians campaigned and voted for Buhari in 2015, doubled down on it in 2019 and continued in 2023. Nigerians knew what they wanted and they got it.

The country is so predictable! I am glad I ran. It seems to be the best decision I made in my life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by mankan2k7(m): 6:51pm On Aug 26
Anything to muscle the masses and oppress Nigerians always give our politicians an erection. What is their concern with who write waec? These people are jokers.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by djseanjohn77: 6:55pm On Aug 26
BeeBeeOoh:

https://punchng.com/fg-to-enforce-18-year-age-limits-for-waec-neco-exams/#google_vignette

The ones that graduated at 18-20from the university are the ones constituting nuisance on social media grin grin grin
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Almunjid(m): 7:13pm On Aug 26
Gerrard59:

The best thing is to copy the good things and discard the bad ones. So, yes, the poster you quoted is correct. The Chinese also do the same. Has China legalised homosexual marriages? How does allowing children to write WASSCE equate to the Western world dictating to us?
Lol. What did you just call them? Children? In that case, both university campuses with their adult lifestyle and marriage are not suitable for children. You make a valid point when you say we should adopt what is right. However, we cannot allow underage children to enter environments primarily meant for adults. While some of these children may be academically gifted, they might not be ready for the adult lifestyle prevalent on university campuses. Exposing them to such environments could end up corrupting them.

There are only two options: either consider 16-year-olds as adults and allow them admission to universities, or maintain the age limit at 18 and discourage underage children from being admitted into universities.

In many cases, these children are not exceptional; their parents simply rush them through their education. Some of them don't even complete Primary 6 or SS3. Some write the WAEC as early as SS1.
While those with good and retentive memories may find it easy to acquire "knowledge", but the ability to "comprehend" and "apply" that knowledge generally improves with "maturity".

Peace!
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by kasim155: 7:35pm On Aug 26
OlujobaSamuel:

I just dey laugh the idiot since the first day he mentioned that nonsense, he is one of those that brings his personal beliefs into governance policy, just like that Adebayo Shittu from Oyo State that was made min for comm wey dey seek for how to introduce Islamic rules into sim registration.
This current Edu min is the one sharing Bsc in Law to every Dick, Tom and Harry, he wan come dey form nonsense.
NLC won't see this to protest against, their own no pass salary matter, whereas, this is a policy that would have an impact on the pocket in future, as they will have to spend money to keep their wards busy while out of school

Hmmmm how I wish all those idiots in government can just be wipe out once and for all. This thing is getting annoying everyday by day. Almost all our products are being smuggle out of the country and we say we have Custom and Navy who are suppose to be guiding our borders 247.
Na wa for Naija sha.

1 Like

Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by nelsonose: 7:37pm On Aug 26
This idea of 18years age limit for WAEC/NECO examinations is crazy and an outright nonsense particularly in this jet age. How on earth was this thought of let alone brought to public space?
I am now, more than ever convinced that affairs of this country are ran from the beer parlour.
First, it was reverting the national anthem to the old version.
Secondly, setting 18years age limit for jamb and now it's WAEC/NECO exams. Who knows what next?
These are retrogressive policies that will make this country a laughing stock in the committee of nations.
When all efforts should be geared at reviving our ailing economy, more problems are now created.
It is hard to think this 18year age limit for WAEC/NECO exam policy will succeed.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by kinguwem: 9:26pm On Aug 26
realborn:
undecided undecided

This is quite retrogressive in this day and age of advanced technology.

I left secondary school at age 15, almost 3 decades ago. Qualified through JAMB at age 16, and it has been a great ride of life afterwards.

Presently, the average age to sit for WAEC/NECO for 6 sets of students in Secondary School is 16 years. What provision is in place for the proposed 2-year minimum lag? Should they just stop at their present class of study and continue when they fit the 18 years model?

Or, will the FG provide and encourage vocational centers for all to bridge the Post Secondary School/ Pre-University stage? If this is in place, it will make load of sense. Otherwise, it will be unfair to plunge our future leaders to an unfair loss of competitive advantage among their global peers
I'm yet to be convinced on the relevance of this new policy. The policy is retrogressive, baseless & anti-progress. The calibre of persons heading our Education Ministry should be reviewed. A modern Professor advocating for such a policy is absurd & simply reflects that our educational system is obsolete & outdated.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Wiseman2y(m): 9:41pm On Aug 26
fxexperts:
Actually the reverse is the case, the older candidates are the ones who engage in exam malpractice, because most of them are dumb. The useless minister is just trying to discourage education among we southerners and all the people you see supporting this policy are actually the slow and dumb ones among us.

Dullard and slow learners like you will always support this policy, i know. If not for the witchcraft in your hearts you all will be looking for ways to tie other highfliers down, simply because you are low flier.
People are used to say that goats are stupid, but you are so stupid that if you were a goat and they kill you , I will never eat your chevon.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by Madups(m): 9:48pm On Aug 26
Tifnubu is the worst thing that can happen to any country.
Re: FG To Enforce 18-Year Age Limit For WAEC, NECO Exams by intruder15(m): 10:27pm On Aug 26
BeeBeeOoh:

https://punchng.com/fg-to-enforce-18-year-age-limits-for-waec-neco-exams/#google_vignette

The funny thing about this is that the same people creating these laws do not allow their kids to school here.

Yet we praise UK and co for having kids that are 13 years with PHD.

Even in thinking we are hopeless. It's well.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yabatech Female Hostel (Bakassi) Is On Fire. / NDU Suspends Uniform For Undergraduates, Bans Indecent Dressing / 2 Killed At OOU Student Protest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.