Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,146 members, 7,970,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 11:12 AM

South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) (15850 Views)

Taliban Marks Two Years Since Return To Power In Afghanistan (Photos) / 60 Killed In Seoul Halloween Party Stampede, 150 Injured (Photos) / UK Shuts Kabul Airport Gates With Airlift To End In Hours Leaving 150 Brits(Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:32am On Aug 27
South Africa has gone 150 consecutive days without any planned power outages, the state power utility Eskom said at the weekend.

This milestone marks a dramatic turnaround from over a year ago when South Africa was plagued by persistent and record load shedding (planned powercuts) that disrupted daily life, inflated food prices and eroded investor confidence.

“The recovery plan has not only made Eskom’s power stations more reliable but has also demonstrated enhanced efficiency,” the state-owned power utility said.

The turnaround began with the appointment of Kgosientsho Ramokgopa as the country’s first-ever electricity minister in March 2023, a role created in response to the escalating energy crisis.

Alongside this, the government injected about R250-billion (N23-trillion) into Eskom to stabilise the utility as well as appointing Dan Marokane as its permanent CEO in December.

The rand has responded well to the development after ending 2023 as one of the few emerging market currencies with losses versus the dollar.

Its fortunes have been boosted by the improvement in electricity supply along with a coalition government that’s considered market friendly after the May election.

The currency has gained 3.7% in the year to date and trades at about R17.70/$.

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Sonnobax15(m): 8:34am On Aug 27
lipsrsealed
Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by CyrusVI(m): 8:34am On Aug 27
Wow shocked....I'm impressed
You guys haven't gained independence even in 2024 but it's worth it

Businesses easily thrives in places like this

Kudos to your Govt

57 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Sonnobax15(m): 8:35am On Aug 27
lipsrsealed
Good for them..

My neighborhood left the group chat grin

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by illicit(m): 8:36am On Aug 27
Hmmmm bragging rights...

10 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Smartcitizen: 8:36am On Aug 27
Tinubu and BUHARI are big time curses to Nigeria.

130 Likes 12 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by malcom1X: 8:36am On Aug 27
Guys pray for good leaders. A good leader can determine how good your life is.

109 Likes 6 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Bigboytinz: 8:37am On Aug 27
Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by GanagiBitrus: 8:37am On Aug 27
I'm trying to remember when last I enjoyed 48hrs uninterrupted power supply in my area.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Ennyjude(f): 8:41am On Aug 27
See our government

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:45am On Aug 27
Eskom CEO Dan Marokane and Electricity Minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa credited for the massive turnaround.

cc CyrusVI cry cry cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 8:53am On Aug 27
A CONFIDENT ESKOM ROLLS OUT EV INFRASTRUCTURE

South Africa’s national electric utility company, Eskom, has officially launched its electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure at the Eskom Academy of Learning (EAL) in Midrand, near Johannesburg.

Eskom says this milestone marks a significant step in Eskom Distribution’s commitment to supporting the growth of the e-mobility sector in South Africa and contributing to the country’s broader goals of reducing carbon emissions.

Eskom has about 12,000 vehicles in its fleet. 10,000 of them are under the Distribution Division. This pilot is one of the first steps towards electrifying this fleet.

The pilot project includes the procurement of 20 electric vehicles ranging from light delivery vehicles to light trucks for operational use.

The pilot project involves the installation of 10 charging stations at five Eskom sites across the country.

The other sites are in Cape Town, Pietermaritzburg, Rustenburg, and Mbombela. These sites will serve as the foundation for Eskom Distribution’s long-term strategy to electrify its entire fleet by 2040.

“We continue to focus on our long-term strategy to deliver a competitive, sustainable, and future-proof Eskom to ensure energy security, growth, and long-term sustainability for the benefit of South Africa and sub-Saharan Africa. By investing in eMobility and the charging infrastructure needed for electric vehicles, we are not only reducing our carbon footprint but also stimulating the local economy and creating new opportunities for growth,” said Gabriel Kgabo, General Manager in the Office of the Eskom Group Executive for Distribution.

Kgabo also highlighted Eskom’s support of the government to align South Africa with the global EV ecosystem market. Key initiatives include the EV White Paper released by the Department of Trade Industry and Competition (DTIC) in December 2023 and the incentives announced by National Treasury to encourage the local production of EVs from 2026.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by agadez007(m): 8:58am On Aug 27
Tinubu left the group chat

After building Lagos,he is now destroying Nigeria

63 Likes 10 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by MzansiCoolio: 9:12am On Aug 27
WannaHowzit:
Eskom CEO Dan Marokane and Electricity Minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa credited for the massive turnaround.

White worshippers left the group
Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by G0Oodharddick: 9:31am On Aug 27
SA is doing really well in terms of development.

Meanwhile, I don't want to talk about Nigeria! Even Ghana is Miles ahead of Nigeria in terms of electricity and economy

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by saintopus(m): 9:55am On Aug 27
People will blame the past Nigerian Leaders for the poor electricity and I will say they are correct.
However, readers of this article would not be oblivious to the fact that ESKOM, was given N23 trillion to execute the project that generated over 2500 MW of electricity.
How much is the Nigeria government investment in electricity?
When Obasanjo was in power, Chief Tony Annineh was the minister of power, he was given $16 billion for the power Ministry, today @N1600 to the Dollar how much would that be?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:59am On Aug 27
saintopus:
People will blame the past Nigerian Leaders for the poor electricity and I will say they are correct.
However, readers of this article would not be oblivious to the fact that ESKOM, was given N23 trillion to execute the project that generated over 2500 MW of electricity.
How much is the Nigeria government investment in electricity?
When Obasanjo was in power, Chief Tony Annineh was the minister of power, he was given $16 billion for the power Ministry, today @N1600 to the Dollar how much would that be?

The N23 trillion was to maintain SA's 33,000MW of electricity. 2500 is additional.

20 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by helinues: 10:00am On Aug 27
Good for them
Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by KnowAll(m): 10:01am On Aug 27
But oh boy! What they injected into electricity sector is equivalent to our national budget. We can’t compete we are a poor nation.

16 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by sachidistudios(m): 10:02am On Aug 27
A true Giant

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by saintopus(m): 10:08am On Aug 27
WannaHowzit:

The N23 trillion was to maintain SA's 33,000MW of electricity. 2500 is additional.

Just for maintenance alone ooooooo!!!
and add 2500 MW how much is Nigeria willing to invest in electricity?
Make I no talk if consumers can pay for 24hours electricity without bypassing in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by KnowAll(m): 10:14am On Aug 27
saintopus:

Just for maintenance alone ooooooo!!!
and add 2500 MW how much is Nigeria willing to invest in electricity?
Make I no talk if consumers can pay for 24hours electricity without bypassing in Nigeria.

The good thing about Nigeria is there is no contract between the government and the governed. We provide our roads, water, electricity so the government doesn’t really have a say how we run our lives.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Tochi3(m): 10:17am On Aug 27
grin grin

..south Africa getting their development right..putting in money that leads to progress & development..In just a span of 2_3 yrs..they succeeded in adding almost 3000MW to their existing generating power..almost what Nigeria currently generates since over 40yrs.. grin grin

..while a president who did not snatch & grab is effectively creating opoortunities for his country men & women...Thief'nubu is looting funds meant for development ...roasting electricity with a fraudulent down payment..

..where is that toutish incompetent Minister of power who was appointed because he is a Yoruba man..whose only solution to improve the power is to tell citizens to put off their AC's & refrigerators.. cheesy

..Allah must punish Thief'nubu..insha allah..

grin grin grin

15 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by UpaIweka: 10:18am On Aug 27
How come only Tinubu n Buhari were cursed ?

Was naira gaining against the dollar or did Nigeria had improved power supply under Obasanjo Yardua or Ebele or you are just another foolish soul exposing your foolishness to the world in a global stage.

Smartcitizen:
Tinubu and BUHARI are big time curses to Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Smartcitizen: 10:23am On Aug 27
UpaIweka:
How come only Tinubu n Buhari were cursed ?

Was naira gaining against the dollar or did Nigeria had improved power supply under Obasanjo Yardua or Ebele or you are just another foolish soul exposing your foolishness to the world in a global stage.

How old were you when OBASANJO cleared all our foreign debts?

Just say the truth......

16 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Shawarmagirl: 10:35am On Aug 27
South Africa is the Giant of Africa 🌍 and senior brother to Nigeria. Nigeria have sold her birth right to SA.

23 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by KnowAll(m): 10:38am On Aug 27
Shawarmagirl:
South Africa is the Giant of Africa 🌍 and senior brother to Nigeria. Nigeria have sold her birth right to SA.

We shall remain 4th for very long time if not 5th because Morocco would soon overtake us.

11 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Lionessza6(f): 11:30am On Aug 27
WannaHowzit:

cc CyrusVI cry cry cry

RZArecta .....now these are the sort of black men Africa needs not born refugees grin grin

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Rexymania(m): 11:45am On Aug 27
Very soon Inshallah, Nigerians will relate...when these old wicked leaders meet their water loo

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by RZArecta(m): 11:50am On Aug 27
Lionessza6:

RZArecta .....now these are the sort of black men Africa needs not born refugees grin grin
why mention me ? I've given my opinion already

1 Like

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by BlackfireX: 11:51am On Aug 27
The 5 iiidiiots who asked the whites to go after independence are collateral fools

grin

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Marks 150 Days Without Powercuts, Boosts Currency (PICS) by Lionessza6(f): 11:51am On Aug 27
RZArecta:
why mention me ? I've given my opinion already

Now I'm giving mine .... grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Doctor Arrested For Stealing Heroin From Patient's Stomach / Donald Trump Barred From Blocking Twitter Users For Their Political Beliefs / Haiti Joins African Union

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.