Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,103 members, 7,973,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 02:05 AM

THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui (27915 Views)

Sota Omoigui Reacts To The Change Of National Anthem: Change Your Ways & Not ... / Throwback: The Orkar Coup Of April 22, 1990 By Nowa Omoigui / Dogonyaro’s Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by arantess: 4:54pm On Aug 28
the northern coup
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by koning: 4:55pm On Aug 28
A WASTED GENERATION.

Most of them were under 40 years. Had all the power and resources to fix Nigeria for good. But chose to lavish the nation's wealth on themselves and lose women.

Military officers were the biggest catch for Run's girls then. Those were decadent times.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by stanluiz(m): 4:56pm On Aug 28
creativejagaban:

Tell us about the January 15, 1966 coup by the i.gbos that destroyed the fabric of harmony and prosperity and sound economy that this country enjoyed.

Your people destroyed the country, destroyed the regional type of government. Set the country back 500 years and come around to claim victimization.

Anyways, the Jagaban is working to resolve the country's challenges very soon.
This thread has nothing to do with igbo but you mention igbo.

Igbos must have terrorise and Torment you people. You guys see them in your dreams.

Why didn't you guys called 1985 coup an Hausa/fulani coup just like you guys with your evil media did in January in January 1966.

1966 jaunary coup destroy Nigeria but 1966 july, 1975, 1984, 1985, and 1993 military coup didn't destroy Nigeria, abi ?

Abi na only January 1966 you remember or your history didn't teach you the military coups that follows after January 1966 ?

Which jagaban is working ? cheesy Most tinubu supporters don loose hope because tinubulation is no longer favouring them and their families cheesy Anything is just propaganda to save face.

Jagaban and his Lagos boys are busy looting Nigeria treasury and sharing Nigeria asset and you are here saying nonsense.

6 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by arantess: 4:57pm On Aug 28
Saturnalia:

I am sure you did not even read the article.

Your programmed tribalistic mind would never allow you to reason & think rationally.

The article is not talking about the Major Gideon Okar Coup of 1990 that attempted to depose the I.B.B regime, but rather the 1985 Coup that deposed the Buhari/Idiagbon regim.

Besides, if not that your Major Gideon Okar was as dumb & daft as the people (like yourself) who are still singing his praises, why would he ATTEMPT to crop out the Northern Region when Northern Military Officers also participated in the said Coup? Where was he expecting those Northern Military Officers to emigrate to?

It was that shortsightedness & nepotism that cost him his life - as those Northern Military Officers immediately switched allegiance and worked against Major Gideon Okar after he made his foolish announcement on the Radio.

The lesson here is; No Region in Nigeria can singlehandedly execute a successful Coup d’etat or impose a democratically elected President on the people (like your people who thought they could foist a certain OVERNIGHT MESSIAH on Nigerians) - without the active collaboration & participation of other Regions.
what are you saying?

Edit...
i get you now
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by dumahi(m): 5:01pm On Aug 28
Efuaye:
I remember that day vividly
Looks like you are an ancestral force👍
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by Lithiumite: 5:05pm On Aug 28
amazingspiderma:
Op

All these coup post una dey post up and down.
Una wan give some politicians and their benefactors sleepless night.

Hmmm

Times have changed..... planning a coup in this country now would be extremely difficult.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by Kenobsky(m): 5:12pm On Aug 28
Babangida a handsome man with hairy balls.
Those days in the barracks we were afraid to call his name even at night he disguise as ordinary man and enter any military barracks of his choice.
We believe then that he belongs to a mermaid confraternity and can disappear and appear.
Those nostalgic Barracks myth enh

3 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by dododawa1: 5:15pm On Aug 28
Eastern took us back 50years BIAFRA WAR

WHILE

Northern took us back 100years coups

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by Tegabadguy(m): 5:21pm On Aug 28
grin grin grin grin grin nigeria army
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by femarse: 5:28pm On Aug 28
Idiot should stop seeing the coup from the eyes of tribalism, everytime you see the coup from the point of tribalism , you are a very big fool and a stupid idiot, every time a coup is executed , it was executed by Nigerians for Nigerians by group of military officers from the Nigerian army who seek to take control of the govt due to the corrupt nature of the civilian govt that is still happening today , you are very stupid to be seeing it from the spec of tribalism

The very first coup comprises of many igbo officers and 1 yoruba officers adewale ademoyega , whose account of the coup as been deem as the most authoritative of all the account , and Obasanjo was a friend to all the coup planners ,

Secondly they were all educated safe for leader of the coup , adewale himself was educated in England, Emmanuel ifeajuna graduated from UI etc ...they were seeing the glaring corruption the same way we were seeing it now and they decided to do something about it

Lastly , the north were the one that decided they wanted to leave Nigeria not the igbo, it was the British that persuaded the north to stay as oil was just discovered to be the new gold , the British severely warn the north , if they leave , agriculture will not save them, And igbo declaring independent was not because if the oil but solely for the fact that there were senior people in the military who senior both ojukwu and gown, both of which are of same rank, it's this very factor that ojukwu refuse to bow to his mate that led to civil war , personal reason not national or regional reason

The only person I blame in all of this is obafemi awolowo, who was the only reason Nigeria still exist for declaring support for gowon, if Obafemi awolowo has also force us Yoruba to leave the entrapment call Nigeria , we Yoruba will be rivaling the western nation and I strongly believe the south and the east will not be far behind in development, Nigeria as a whole is an entrapment of corruption that will continue to sing development song in years to come

5 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by vacanci: 5:37pm On Aug 28
Racoon:

ON THE OTHER HAND, KEY PLAYERS IN SUPPORT OF THE REGIME INCLUDED:
1. Major General Muhammadu Buhari, C-in-C
2. Major General Tunde Idiagbon, Chief of Staff, SHQ
3. Major General Mohammed Magoro - Minister of Internal Affairs
4. Alhaji Rafindadi - Director General, Nigerian Security Organization
5. Lt. Col. Sabo Aliyu - Commander, Brigade of Guards
6. Major Mustapha Haruna Jokolo, ADC to the C-in-C l

I dont understand some parts of this article,

are you saying that the Babangida palace coup has Buhari and Idiagbon in support of removing them?
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by Callosobruchus(m): 5:41pm On Aug 28
arthurwillia:
Oh dear I love history. Where can I get more information on coups
Go look for this book titled "Let truth be told" written by ehm,ehm;well,I've forgotten his first name but his surname is Muffet.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by RaptorX: 5:50pm On Aug 28
vacanci:

I dont understand some parts of this article,

are you saying that the Babangida palace coup has Buhari and Idiagbon in support of removing them?
In support of the Buhari regime not the coup.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by SafePromotions: 6:02pm On Aug 28
Babangida Was The Reason For The Devaluation of The Naira To Dollar....

Now, The Economy is in Shambles!

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by kay29000(m): 6:07pm On Aug 28
AyakaDunukofia:
Mixed feelings. The truth remains that the socio economic situation of the khaki boys' time has made the so called Nigerian democracy a mockery, big joke. It's very difficult to dispute this reasoning. It's a fact!

Bitter truth.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by kay29000(m): 6:12pm On Aug 28
arthurwillia:

I swear, Nigeria's story will make a great movie.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by tishbite42: 6:17pm On Aug 28
RaptorX:
Mistake Shagari made in 1979 was not retiring this unintelligent clowns like Buhari, IBB and Abacha. Those one's Obasanjo retired were shocked when they brought their retirement letter to them in their office lol. They thought they were going to be hanging around to plan another useless future coup.
They were not in office sef
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by SOSPITAS(m): 6:20pm On Aug 28
Jayhome24:

Pls ignored him he is a known nuisance here.

Bro that is how they love praising mediocre. As you mentioned about Major Okar dumb Coup, my own people have these stupid and strange mentality by wanting you on their side to fight your own people but they are not ready to be on anyone side to fight their own people honestly this mentality making me go craze sometime.

Imagine they want Vivour who could not speak a single Yoruba to become Lagos gpvetnor and still find a way to coined some Yoruba idiots into their ideology but in our own region(SE) we can never allow stranger to become ordinary market gateman takless of market leader.

Same way they successfully coined Edo into the ideology but when Edo needed them it's then my people will remember Edo are witches.

Pls ignore him bro. Let him go and read the article very well or he shoud keep quiet.

You're no better than the person you're trying to condemn, your statement is filled without so much tribal vitro that it ceases to make sense.

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by kay29000(m): 6:21pm On Aug 28
nairaman66:

That’s a successful coup is well planned. The coup plotters took that into consideration.

Yeah.
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by femi4: 6:25pm On Aug 28
IBB moved capital to Abuja after the incident
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by T9ksy(m): 7:10pm On Aug 28
femarse:

The only person I blame in all of this is obafemi awolowo, who was the only reason Nigeria still exist for declaring support for gowon, if Obafemi awolowo has also force us Yoruba to leave the entrapment call Nigeria , we Yoruba will be rivaling the western nation and I strongly believe the south and the east will not be far behind in development, Nigeria as a whole is an entrapment of corruption that will continue to sing development song in years to come

And how do you think Pa Awo could have force yoruba out of Nigeria, at the time in question? Had Awolowo tried anything of such, what happened to Biafra would have been our lot with the attendant destruction of yorubaland and innocent lives.

By so doing, pa awo would havefallen into Ojukwu's trap. What do we have to fight with? Even ojukwu that bragged of been preparing since the " Northerners revenge coup" of July 1966, only had a few guns - relics from the WW1, in his armoury. Coupled with the fact the west & lagos was under siege from Northern troops, still bloodthirsty after igbos had murdered their revered spiritual leaders and also top military personnel.

Interesting enough, ojukwu was going to attack yorubaland anyway, regardless of what steps awo takes.

4 Likes

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by xeju: 7:47pm On Aug 28
Northerners using the military to exchange power just destroyed this country totally. Was there ever a time or year Nigeria actually prospered?🤔
Racoon:

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa33.htm l
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by xeju: 7:50pm On Aug 28
Heroes of your family & generations obviously.
Make sure you persuade your lineage to worship them
xpressionx:
Those men were heros.
Kudos to them
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by Germi9: 7:55pm On Aug 28
arthurwillia:
Alot on youtube
Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by uncletmedia: 8:18pm On Aug 28
Gone are the days when military boys were celebrities, people were praying that they would give birth to babies that would become military men. very soon it will detestable to be a governor or president. The private entrepreneur would rule the world
Between Davido or your state governor, who is a crowd puller?

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by femarse: 8:49pm On Aug 28
T9ksy:

And how do you think Pa Awo could have force yoruba out of Nigeria, at the time in question? Had Awolowo tried anything of such, what happened to Biafra would have been our lot with the attendant destruction of yorubaland and innocent lives.

By so doing, pa awo would havefallen into Ojukwu's trap. What do we have to fight with? Even ojukwu that bragged of been preparing since the " Northerners revenge coup" of July 1966, only had a few guns - relics from the WW1, in his armoury. Coupled with the fact the west & lagos was under siege from Northern troops, still bloodthirsty after igbos had murdered their revered spiritual leaders and also top military personnel.

Interesting enough, ojukwu was going to attack yorubaland anyway, regardless of what steps awo takes.

The aburi meeting in Ghana , the resolution was if two region back out, the country will resolve, ojukwu already back out, in that meeting awolo6was Yoruba representative, akintola has been killed in the coup, they all came back to Lagos and with the promise of being a vice president (head of state ) from gowon, awolowo choose to back gowon , since 2 of the three people decided to stick , the third don't have a choice , leading to the civil war

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK: The Babangida Palace Coup Of August 27, 1985 By Nowa Omoigui by enemyofprogress: 8:57pm On Aug 28
Op what are you trying to do? No put ideas into the minds of those khaki boys o

Avoid friends who think Arsenal will win the premier league this season😎😎😁😁🏃🏃🏃

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dear Oby, A People Have The Right To Choose Their Hero / James Duddridge: UK Facilitated Training, Supplied Equipment To SARS / Oba Of Benin Visits Governor Sanwo-Olu (Photos & Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.