Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,779 members, 7,945,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 05:21 PM

Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? (385 Views)

The Truth And Lies Of The Churches / Which Of The Churches Today Is Following Jesus Christ's Teachings? / Was Paul Sexist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 4:57pm On Sep 01
This is one area where the Spirit of the Lord wants us to settle in the body of Christ.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
35. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

On 11th April 2023, I was in a bus and the Lord told me to open my Bible and read. I said, Lord I am in a bus. I am surrounded by people: they will look at me like I’m sort of crazy. You know, sitting in a bus with tech guys, some on their laptops writing computer codes, some drafting mails, and some analyzing data. And you bring a Bible to read: if that is not odd I wander what is.
The Lord said to me, open your Bible and read; meditate on 1 Corinthians 14. When the Lord said that I said I will.
You see, when the Lord told you to do a thing, he does not give you full details about what he told you, because if he does, you will be acting and walking by sight and not by faith. For instance, when the angel of the Lord instructed Philip to go toward the South unto the road from Jerusalem to Gaza, he did not tell Philip the reason. But when Philip went as was instructed, the Spirit of the Lord said to him: go near and join thyself to this chariot. Philip walked by faith
Now prior to when the Lord spoke, I was listening to an audio book I had written; so, I turned it off and opened the Bible app on my android device and began meditating on 1 Corinthians 14. I read all the familiar verses of tongues and prophecy, but when I got to verse thirty-four, the word of the Lord came to me saying, I want to teach you about the role of women in the church. It was so audible I had to look around if other passengers beside me heard it.
For close to twenty-some-odd minutes I was staring at 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. My eyes were so glued to both verses that I began having revelation.
The Spirit of the Lord asked me, did you notice the last phrase in verse thirty-four?
Up till this time, I had read that portion of scripture several times but did not see what the Spirit of the Lord was showing me. And many a time that is the case for many of us Christians. We read a particular portion of scripture loosely by glancing through it until the Spirit of the Lord arrest our attention to reveal the deep meaning unto us.
Now notice the last phrase in verse thirty-four of that text, “… But they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.” [/i]The phrase did not say God commanded the women to be under obedience and keep silence in the church, rather the text says the law commanded.
You see, it was God who gave Moses the commandments, but some of the laws were set and written by Moses because of the stubbornness of the children of Israel. For instance, at one time the Pharisees, to lure Jesus whether he would fault the law of Moses, asked him the question: “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?”
The book of Deuteronomy is one of the five books of the law, called the Pentateuch, written by Moses. In chapter twenty-four, the first verse, Moses commanded a man to write a bill of divorcement and hand it over to his wife if he finds that she is sexually unclean.
When we vet Jesus’ answer to the question those Pharisees posed to him, we see that it was Moses who gave that law and not God. The Lord stressed the reason Moses gave the children of Israel that law. Now let us look at the answer Jesus gave to the Pharisees:
Matthew 19:7-9
7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8. He (Jesus) saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so
9. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Did you notice the last clause in verse eight? Jesus said, “…But from the beginning it was not so.” Meaning this was not in God’s plan from the beginning.

Now let us go back and see why Paul commanded women to keep silence in churches.
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law
35. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36. What? came the Word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?

Notice in verse thirty-six, Paul was quoting the book of Numbers chapters twelve, the second verse. Scripture says, Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses for Marrying an Ethiopian woman and in verse two they said: ““…Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses?” hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it.”
Miriam’s confrontation at Moses was a challenge to God’s authority on Moses. You see, both Aaron and Miriam appear to have a reasonable complaint against Moses because he was going against the very law he set for the people by marrying a foreign woman. But instead of bringing the matter to the council of elders they both decided to take up the matter against Moses.
Miriam being a prophet, put herself in Moses’ place as the leader and attempted to trump and topple his authority. And the anger of the LORD immediately fell on her and she became leprous, white as snow.

As Miriam contended against Moses’ leadership, so the women at Corinth contended against the leadership of the church at the time. As a matter of fact, it was one of the leaders by name Chloe, a woman, who reported this division and/or contention to Paul. The contention was so steep that it caused a split in the church’s organization. Some of the women said they’re of Paul, some of Apollos, some of Cephas, while some said they’re of Christ.
1 Corinthians 1:11-12
11. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

So, to avoid a repeat of what happened between Moses and Miriam, where the wrought of God came upon a woman for speaking against God’s elect, Paul commanded, according to Moses’ law, that the women keep silence in the church.
However, scripture says that the law, which includes among other things that women should keep silence in churches, was given by Moses, but grace, for women to witness and speak in churches, and truth came by Jesus Christ.
John 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Paul was looking at the church in Corinth through the law of Moses because the saints at Corinth were spiritual babes. And as such, are prone to mistakes and tend to go into excesses: so, he commanded that the women keep silence in the church.
Let me say it again, Paul gave that command because the women at Corinth were spiritual babes; and might repeat Miriam’s action: speaking against authority.
1 Corinthians 3:1
1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Notice the words envying, strife, and divisions. These are emotional states and typical of baby Christians.
Moreover, there is a striking similarity between spiritual growth and physical growth. In physical growth babies are innocent, ignorant, irritable, unsteady, curious, talkative. These were the same reasons Miriam decided to challenge Moses’ authority. For she said to Moses: [i]“What? came the Word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?”
Put somewhat differently, if you think you are a prophet, I am a prophetess too. If you think you can hear from God, I can hear from God too.
So, to curb babyhood tendencies and a repeat of Miriam’s action in the church at Corinth, Paul instructed that the women keep silence in church. But from the beginning it was not so: for in the garden of Eden, even Eve gets to speak when asked. And God spoke through the prophet Joel, saying, “upon the handmaids will I pour out my spirit and they shall prophesy.”

Jesus is Lord

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by jesusjnr2020(m): 5:59pm On Sep 01
Nice but a diplomatic way to explain the obvious.

The fact remains that Paul was not inerrant and that particular teaching of his had nothing to do with God but inspired of his own flesh.

If Jesus made a woman to preach the first Gospel to His church after His resurrection, who is Paul to do or say otherwise?

It's just that many who claim to be Christ followers have no regard for His teachings and example otherwise this should be a non-issue.

The reason the Spirit opened your eyes to this truth because is because you're willing to see, however for those who choose to remain adamantly and perpetually blind would continue to walk blindly until they decide to repent.

God bless.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 6:36pm On Sep 01
Dear brother,

You are not far from the truth. Paul, as a human, is not inerrant. However, I will make a case for Paul that he wasn't under the influence of the flesh, rather was moved to instruct by hindsight through the commandment of Moses. Remember he alluded that his speech and preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom but in the demonstration of the Spirit and of power. Therefore, Paul couldn't have been speaking from the flesh. I'd justify Paul by his words not his motive: because the Lord Jesus says, "For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned" (Matthew 12:37).
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 7:00pm On Sep 01
Share this article
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 7:46pm On Sep 01
The gender discriminative law was subjected to the ancient Jewish people of bible days only, as observed by Paul himself who quoted the law by saying the Law said..,
and can never be used as a general law for all Christians not even to this modern day Jews

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 7:51pm On Sep 01
paxonel:
The gender discriminative law was subjected to the ancient Jewish people of bible days only, as observed by Paul himself who quoted the law by saying the Law said..,
and can never be used as a general law for all Christians not even to this modern day Jews

You're right brother. Paul wasn't wrong, he only quoted what was commanded in the law

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by GoodJohn: 4:52am On Sep 08
Grateful for your response
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 5:12am On Sep 08
jesusjnr2020:
Nice but a diplomatic way to explain the obvious.

The fact remains that Paul was not inerrant and that particular teaching of his had nothing to do with God but inspired of his own flesh.

If Jesus made a woman to preach the first Gospel to His church after His resurrection, who is Paul to do or say otherwise?

It's just that many who claim to be Christ followers have no regard for His teachings and example otherwise this should be a non-issue.

The reason the Spirit opened your eyes to this truth because is because you're willing to see, however for those who choose to remain adamantly and perpetually blind would continue to walk blindly until they decide to repent.

God bless.

Did you see the woman go to preach in the temple?

Isn't it clear that she can preach to her neigbbours, office, street but not in God's House?
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 5:15am On Sep 08
paxonel:

You always speak stupidly, is The Law not already The Law of Christianity? You are an isrealite true and through
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 5:31am On Sep 08
ocnovakmichael:
This is one area where the Spirit of the Lord wants us to settle in the body of Christ.

You see, it was God who gave Moses the commandments, but some of the laws were set and written by Moses because of the stubbornness of the children of Israel.

Notice in verse thirty-six, Paul was quoting the book of Numbers chapters twelve, the second verse. Scripture says, Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses for Marrying an Ethiopian woman and in verse two they said: ““…Hath the LORD indeed spoken only by Moses?” hath he not spoken also by us? And the LORD heard it.”
Miriam’s confrontation at Moses was a challenge to God’s authority on Moses. You see, both Aaron and Miriam appear to have a reasonable complaint against Moses because he was going against the very law he set for the people by marrying a foreign woman. But instead of bringing the matter to the council of elders they both decided to take up the matter against Moses.
Miriam being a prophet, put herself in Moses’ place as the leader and attempted to trump and topple his authority. And the anger of the LORD immediately fell on her and she became leprous, white as snow.

As Miriam contended against Moses’ leadership, so the women at Corinth contended against the leadership of the church at the time. As a matter of fact, it was one of the leaders by name Chloe, a woman, who reported this division and/or contention to Paul. The contention was so steep that it caused a split in the church’s organization. Some of the women said they’re of Paul, some of Apollos, some of Cephas, while some said they’re of Christ.
11. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
12. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

So, to avoid a repeat of what happened between Moses and Miriam, where the wrought of God came upon a woman for speaking against God’s elect, Paul commanded, according to Moses’ law, that the women keep silence in the church.
However, scripture says that the law, which includes among other things that women should keep silence in churches, was given by Moses, but grace, for women to witness and speak in churches, and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Paul was looking at the church in Corinth through the law of Moses because the saints at Corinth were spiritual babes. And as such, are prone to mistakes and tend to go into excesses: so, he commanded that the women keep silence in the church.
Let me say it again, Paul gave that command because the women at Corinth were spiritual babes; and might repeat Miriam’s action: speaking against authority.
1 Corinthians 3:1 These were the same reasons Miriam decided to challenge Moses’ authority. For she said to Moses: “What? came the Word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?” Put somewhat differently, if you think you are a prophet, I am a prophetess too. If you think you can hear from God, I can hear from God too.

... But from the beginning it was not so: for in the garden of Eden, even Eve gets to speak [b]when asked
. And God spoke through the prophet Joel, saying, “upon the handmaids will I pour out my spirit and they shall prophesy.”

Jesus is Lord

Did you not see that Eve spoke because she was asked and did not speak of her will?

Secondly, did you not see, that she was Spoken to because a crime had taken place and investigations as to the cause of the crime was being ascertained?

After this, do you see God being close to women and even Speak to them?

And on prophesying, did King Saul not prophecy? Did that make him a servant of God?

Even Dmx, Micheal Jackson, Black eyed.peas all prophecied.as the Bible Foretold! But that did not make them priests and servants of God.

Do think Moses would give a Law which God did not approve? Did you not read that God Said He would teach Moses The Law and Judgment, which is where and why Moses knew how to solve a dispute and issue a Judgment, exactly what Judges do?

Did you see Miriam go up the mountain to meet God.like Moses and Aaron always did?

I[b]f you even look at it you would see it was only Miriam that was punishe and not Aaron. Why? Because it was she who did the complaining and not Aaron[/b] and she moved Aaron to support her cause by following her.

And Moses married an Ethiopean woman, in the eyes of Go, yet God did not complain about it and even after that Moses stil went up and down The Mountain which no one except him and Aaron and Joshua but Miriam could not and that did not teach you something?

Als did you.see the women levite handle the business of the Tabernacle and its Holy things?

Have you gone to read The Laws which Paul referenced? Its crazy that you heard Paul reference The Law yet you have not gone to read what The Law Said.

Even if you want pretend that you do not see that God does not easily Speak to women, The Law has settled this issue.

And this one you said Its Paul/Moses, did Christ not also Say so.in Revelations 2:20?

God closed a matter and it is you who wants to open t? Bros fear God ooo and do not go putting yourself in trouble especially as you can see God has an issue with women and is very very angry with them yet instead of you to love God and face the Truth and understand, you wish to put yourself in trouble.

The bible has warned you already but you will only end up in hellfire because of your pretence.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 6:06am On Sep 08
StillDtruth:

You always speak stupidly, is The Law not already The Law of Christianity? You are an isrealite true and through
You are a fool, which law in Christianity or don't you see female pastors on pulpits preaching the gospel today and nothing has happened to deter them ?

When i say you be monkey were nor get sense just say that's what you are.
The likes of Rev(Mrs) Funke Adejumo will be on her pulpit preaching today Sunday, oya go there and enforce the stupid law now.

Since you cannot go there to enforce the law oya repeat after me,
Say I'm stupid

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by MaxInDHouse(m): 6:16am On Sep 08
Females should KEEP QUIET where men are talking about sacred secrets but they can assist their children and female neighbors in preaching and teaching.

The only room open for a female to stand preaching before men is when there are no baptized males in the gathering then she will have to lead in prayer and worship but she must use a cloth to cover her head as a sign of respect for the headship that rightfully belongs to men. 1Corinthians 11:3-6

Thank you!
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 6:20am On Sep 08
paxonel:

You are a fool, which law in Christianity or don't you see female pastors on pulpits preaching the gospel today and nothing has happened to deter them ?

When i say you be monkey were nor get sense just say that's what you are.
The likes of Rev(Mrs) Funke Adejumo will be one her pulpit preaching today Sunday, oya go there and enforce the stupid law now.

Idiot

Revelations 2:20 already says that you are a very stupid pratting fool and devil already set for burning forever in the eternal fire.

Both you and your rev. Mrs, and Mr who seeing what God had done and Commanded, yet chose to disobey Him

As Revelation Said to you devil, continue being a devil.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by Youareforgiven(m): 8:28am On Sep 08
ocnovakmichael:

34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

On 11th April 2023, I was in a bus and the Lord told me to open my Bible and read. I said, Lord I am in a bus. I am surrounded by people: they will look at me like I’m sort of crazy. You know, sitting in a bus with tech guys, some on their laptops writing computer codes, some drafting mails, and some analyzing data. And you bring a Bible to read: if that is not odd I wander what is.
The Lord said to me, open your Bible and read; meditate on 1 Corinthians 14. When the Lord said that I said I will.
You see, when the Lord told you to do a thing, he does not give you full details about what he told you, because if he does, you will be acting and walking by sight and not by faith. For instance, when the angel of the Lord instructed Philip to go toward the South unto the road from Jerusalem to Gaza, he did not tell Philip the reason. But when Philip went as was instructed, the Spirit of the Lord said to him: go near and join thyself to this chariot. Philip walked by faith
Now prior to when the Lord spoke, I was listening to an audio book I had written; so, I turned it off and opened the Bible app on my android device and began meditating on 1 Corinthians 14. I read all the familiar verses of tongues and prophecy, but when I got to verse thirty-four, the word of the Lord came to me saying, I want to teach you about the role of women in the church. It was so audible I had to look around if other passengers beside me heard it.
For close to twenty-some-odd minutes I was staring at 1 Corinthians 14:34-35. My eyes were so glued to both verses that I began having revelation.
The Spirit of the Lord asked me, did you notice the last phrase in verse thirty-four?
Up till this time, I had read that portion of scripture several times but did not see what the Spirit of the Lord was showing me. And many a time that is the case for many of us Christians. We read a particular portion of scripture loosely by glancing through it until the Spirit of the Lord arrest our attention to reveal the deep meaning unto us.
Now notice the last phrase in verse thirty-four of that text, “… But they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.” [/i]The phrase did not say God commanded the women to be under obedience and keep silence in the church, rather the text says the law commanded.
You see, it was God who gave Moses the commandments, but some of the laws were set and written by Moses because of the stubbornness of the children of Israel. For instance, at one time the Pharisees, to lure Jesus whether he would fault the law of Moses, asked him the question: “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?”
The book of Deuteronomy is one of the five books of the law, called the Pentateuch, written by Moses. In chapter twenty-four, the first verse, Moses commanded a man to write a bill of divorcement and hand it over to his wife if he finds that she is sexually unclean.
When we vet Jesus’ answer to the question those Pharisees posed to him, we see that it was Moses who gave that law and not God. The Lord stressed the reason Moses gave the children of Israel that law. Now let us look at the answer Jesus gave to the Pharisees:
7. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?
8. He (Jesus) saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so
9. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Did you notice the last clause in verse eight? Jesus said, “…But from the beginning it was not so.” Meaning this was not in God’s plan from the beginning.

Now let us go back and see why Paul commanded women to keep silence in churches.
34. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law

1. And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2. I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3. For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

Notice the words envying, strife, and divisions. These are emotional states and typical of baby Christians.
Moreover, there is a striking similarity between spiritual growth and physical growth. In physical growth babies are innocent, ignorant, irritable, unsteady, curious, talkative. These were the same reasons Miriam decided to challenge Moses’ authority. For she said to Moses: [i]“What? came the Word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?”
Put somewhat differently, if you think you are a prophet, I am a prophetess too. If you think you can hear from God, I can hear from God too.
So, to curb babyhood tendencies and a repeat of Miriam’s action in the church at Corinth, Paul instructed that the women keep silence in church. But from the beginning it was not so: for in the garden of Eden, even Eve gets to speak when asked. And God spoke through the prophet Joel, saying, “upon the handmaids will I pour out my spirit and they shall prophesy.”

Jesus is Lord

Do you even know why Moses married an Ethiopian woman? It was God who put these thoughts in his heart to for an Ethiopian woman. Moses was a like a forerunner to Jesus Christ our redeemer. It was a sign that the new covenant was not only for Jews but for world as well.

The Ethiopian woman represents the "gentiles" in this regard. It was a sign that Jesus Christ is not only married to the Jews, but to the whole world. It is a sign that salvation is not only for the Jews but for all.

You are so right. Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but the Spirit of God. Women are very important in Christ Jesus. Women are equal stake holders in Christ Jesus. God has called us all in Christ Jesus.

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 8:33am On Sep 08
Youareforgiven:

Do you even know why Moses married an Ethiopian woman? It was God who put these thoughts in his heart to for an Ethiopian woman. Moses was a like a forerunner to Jesus Christ our redeemer. It was a sign that the new covenant was not only for Jews but for world as well...

Look at how evil the people of Isreal were to him, which woman would have been righteous enough to marry him?

Not to talk of a man wey dey speak to God direct. Even Zippy, not isrealite even, could no longer bear to live with him and that is why she left.

Youareforgiven:

It was a sign that the new covenant was not only for Jews but for world as well...

Wrong again.

Abraham's covenant already contained the Plan of saving the world.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by TimiRume(f): 10:22am On Sep 08
Insightful smiley though I still believe women shouldn't be leaders of men or exercise authirity over them because of how God has created both genders and assigned them natural offices even before Moses.

It's so clear from the scriptures that God has not called us to usurp authority over men. Can we prophesy in church? yes we can with our heads covered portraying submission to authority. Can we teach in church? yes we can but we are to teach younger or immature women. This is one passage that settled it for me.

Titus 2:4-8 "These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely"

Submission is not a demeaning thing in short its so glorious. Puts us in a position to receive so much grace. The one in the place of authority and the one in the place of submission are both equal in Christ. Both of God and unto God. Amen

2 Likes

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 10:36am On Sep 08
TimiRume:
Insightful smiley though I still believe women shouldn't be leaders of men or exercise authirity over them because of how God has created both genders and assigned them natural offices even before Moses.

It's so clear from the scriptures that God has not called us to usurp authority over men. Can we prophesy in church? yes we can with our heads covered portraying submission to authority. Can we teach in church? yes we can but we are to teach younger or immature women. This is one passage that settled it for me.
1. In a country where you have less Christians, what if in a church of 10 people, one of them is a woman who knows more about scriptures than the remaining 9 who are men, and the men agreed that they want to learn from her, so she cannot teach them?

If you think she cannot teach them can you give a reasonable explanation for that?
Because, a reasonable explanation for her to teach them is that, the men should not remain in ignorance
2. You have heard of Deborah in the old testament, what was her role to the isrealites?

2 Likes

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by TimiRume(f): 11:10am On Sep 08
paxonel:

1. In a country where you have less Christians, what if in a church of 10 people, one of them is a woman who knows more about scriptures than the remaining 9 who are men, and the men agreed that they want to learn from her, so she cannot teach them?

If you think she cannot teach them can you give a reasonable explanation for that?

Yes sir. She cannot teach them according to God's word and design. Can she guide them by expounding the scriptures to them? Yes she can. Priscilla and her husband did same to Apollos. And the Holy Spirit took over and turned Apollos into one of the greatest men of God in Paul's time that some misguided believers started trying to make a sect out of him.
Can she become their teacher/pastor? No sir. God is not an author of confusion. If there are men like that ready to learn the scriptures, God would readily grant them enough grace to fill up those leadership roles that he has ordained for the males who represent the head of mankind.

There is an order of things already which is typical of God, to assign positions to us differently. Even in the body of Christ, we are not all one member but many members. And all the members are equal, moreso members that seem insignificant are to be esteemed highly. Submission and quietness are highly priced qualities in this kingdom.

This passage by Paul too isn't just referring to husband-wife relationship though it includes it.
1 Timothy 2:11-14 New International Version (NIV)

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

Because, a reasonable explanation for her to teach them is that, the men should not remain in ignorance
They won't lol. Anyone who is hungry for these things never lacks understanding. God might choose the woman to open their eyes but he won't let the woman become their teacher or pastor. He cannot contradict himself.

2. You have heard of Deborah in the old testament, what was her role to the isrealites?
Yes I've heard of Deborah. Did her role contradict what I've stressed?

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 1:00pm On Sep 08
TimiRume:

Yes sir. She cannot teach them according to God's word and design. Can she guide them by expounding the scriptures to them? Yes she can. Priscilla and her husband did same to Apollos. And the Holy Spirit took over and turned Apollos into one of the greatest men of God in Paul's time that some misguided believers started trying to make a sect out of him.
Can she become their teacher/pastor? No sir. God is not an author of confusion. If there are men like that ready to learn the scriptures, God would readily grant them enough grace to fill up those leadership roles that he has ordained for the males who represent the head of mankind.

There is an order of things already which is typical of God, to assign positions to us differently. Even in the body of Christ, we are not all one member but many members. And all the members are equal, moreso members that seem insignificant are to be esteemed highly. Submission and quietness are highly priced qualities in this kingdom.

This passage by Paul too isn't just referring to husband-wife relationship though it includes it.
1 Timothy 2:11-14 New International Version (NIV)

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

They won't lol. Anyone who is hungry for these things never lacks understanding. God might choose the woman to open their eyes but he won't let the woman become their teacher or pastor. He cannot contradict himself.

Yes I've heard of Deborah. Did her role contradict what I've stressed?
Take a look at this, was it wrong that she was a judge and a prophet?

Judges 4:4

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by Steep(m): 1:21pm On Sep 08
TimiRume:

Titus 2:4-8 "These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God. In the same way, encourage the young men to live wisely"

Submission is not a demeaning thing in short its so glorious. Puts us in a position to receive so much grace. The one in the place of authority and the one in the place of submission are both equal in Christ. Both of God and unto God. Amen
you have done justice to it.
I wonder why people always think that a woman submitting to her husband is slavery or that a woman should not usurp authority over a man means oppression for women?
It is wicked spirits attacking the gospel. There have being increase of so-called new revelation that either attack the inspiration of scripture outrightly or subtly does. Satan is good at mixing lie with truth to make it appealing.
The order in the church and family is God- Christ- man- woman before children.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by Steep(m): 1:25pm On Sep 08
paxonel:

Deborah was not a leader of the Christian church. Even David who was a polygamist was a leader in Israel but in the church a polygamist can't be a pastor. The new testament church is different from national Israel.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by Steep(m): 1:44pm On Sep 08
ocnovakmichael:

@ bolded
Let's see what the text said.

1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

There is a subtle twisting of the scripture here.

Paul is writing to the whole church of Corinthians because their women were out of order.
Note the word "as also saith the law" meaning Paul wasn't quoting the law but rather it is order on the church which of course is from God, and then the law also agrees with this.

In order words Paul was imposing the old testament law but was using the law as a confirmation.

see, it was God who gave Moses the commandments, but some of the laws were set and written by Moses because of the stubbornness of the children of Israel. For instance, at one time the Pharisees, to lure Jesus whether he would fault the law of Moses, asked him the question: “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?”

Jesus is Lord
you are misquoting and misunderstanding text. Paul was never imposing the law on the church but setting an order for the church which also the law confirms.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

As for Moses marriage, he got married before the law was given.
Your posts are filled with errors, it was not the women of Corinth that was saying "I am of Paul, I am of Apollos" etc
You mix things up.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by TimiRume(f): 3:29pm On Sep 08
paxonel:

Yes she was a prophetess not a teacher. What do prophets and prophetesses do? They judge or decide situations by passing direct messages from God to the people.
They don't teach, they tell or foretell what God has said or instructed for certain situations to save or restore the people.

Even today, God allows women to prophesy in church under certain conditions. Prophesying is a different ministry from teaching or pastoring. Hope this helps.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 3:33pm On Sep 08
Steep:
Deborah was not a leader of the Christian church. Even David who was a polygamist was a leader in Israel but in the church a polygamist can't be a pastor. The new testament church is different from national Israel.
poygamist!
Good grin

Now, look at this :

Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them..

This scripture shows that God loves creating varieties of things and he was never discriminative in blessing them.

Now, let's talk about discrimination :
Racial discrimination, Tribal discrimination, Gender discrimination, call it whatever type of discrimination.

Like monogamy which is most times better than polygamy, Do you think that discrimination or sentimental prejudice is good in any form?

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by paxonel(m): 4:02pm On Sep 08
TimiRume:
Yes she was a prophetess not a teacher. What do prophets and prophetesses do? They judge or decide situations by passing direct messages from God to the people.
They don't teach, they tell or foretell what God has said or instructed for certain situations to save or restore the people.
you mean, as a judge she did not teach the people the ten commandments?
If be so, what is the basis of her judgement to people who don't know the commandments because they were not thought?

Even today, God allows women to prophesy in church under certain conditions. Prophesying is a different ministry from teaching or pastoring. Hope this helps.
Is gender discrimination a good thing or a bad thing?

2 Likes

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 7:38pm On Sep 08
Steep:
@ bolded
Let's see what the text said.

1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

There is a subtle twisting of the scripture here.

Paul is writing to the whole church of Corinthians because their women were out of order.
Note the word "as also saith the law" meaning Paul wasn't quoting the law but rather it is order on the church which of course is from God, and then the law also agrees with this.

In order words Paul was imposing the old testament law but was using the law as a confirmation.

you are misquoting and misunderstanding text. Paul was never imposing the law on the church but setting an order for the church which also the law confirms.

1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

As for Moses marriage, he got married before the law was given.
Your posts are filled with errors, it was not the women of Corinth that was saying "I am of Paul, I am of Apollos" etc
You mix things up.

If you say my post are filled with error, is the word of God of error? I write that which the Spirit spake: for it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

it was not the women of Corinth that was saying "I am of Paul, I am of Apollos" etc
You mix things up.

How did you know it was not the women at Corinth who wrote to Paul about the rift in the church at Corinth?

Let us carefully analyze that scripture logically in the church's order.

Corinthians 1:11-12

Paul says,
"For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe..."

You see, those who reported the contention at the church of Corinth are of the house of Chloe. Chloe is a woman and a leader of that group of Christians called "the house of Chloe." It is only logical that for every letter that will proceed from the house of Chloe to Paul, must go through Chloe the leader of that group in that order. Also, being a woman leader, it is only logical to reason that most of the congregants, by association, will be women. (I am speaking as a man).

Now I'm not here to explain away the scriptures, but to let everyone see that Paul wasn't wrong when he said the women should keep quiet in the churches: he's only quoting what is in the law of Moses. And like I earlier stated by the Spirit, "some of the law were given by Moses because of the stubbornness of the Jews not necessarily because God says so."

But God speaking through the mouth of the prophet Joel says, "It shall come to pass in the last days that I shall pour out my spirit upon all flesh."

The question is, "are women part of all flesh?" If they are, then God says, His spirit will be poured upon them also. And the Lord Jesus says that that same spirit of power will enable them be witnesses unto him, of his death, burial, and resurrection.

In the final analysis, the Bible says, " For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh" (Romans 8:3). Put somewhat differently, what was not permissible through the law, being that it was weak, is permissible under grace by Christ Jesus.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by Steep(m): 8:17pm On Sep 08
ocnovakmichael:

If you say my post are filled with error, is the word of God of error? I write that which the Spirit spake: for it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

How did you know it was not the women at Corinth who wrote to Paul about the rift in the church at Corinth?

Let us carefully analyze that scripture logically in the church's order.

Corinthians 1:11-12

Paul says,

You see, those who reported the contention at the church of Corinth are of the house of Chloe. Chloe is a woman and a leader of that group of Christians called "the house of Chloe." It is only logical that for every letter that will proceed from the house of Chloe to Paul, must go through Chloe the leader of that group in that order. Also, being a woman leader, it is only logical to reason that most of the congregants, by association, will be women. (I am speaking as a man).

Now I'm not here to explain away the scriptures, but to let everyone see that Paul wasn't wrong when he said the women should keep quiet in the churches: he's only quoting what is in the law of Moses. And like I earlier stated by the Spirit, "some of the law were given by Moses because of the stubbornness of the Jews not necessarily because God says so."

But God speaking through the mouth of the prophet Joel says, "It shall come to pass in the last days that I shall pour out my spirit upon all flesh."

The question is, "are women part of all flesh?" If they are, then God says, His spirit will be poured upon them also. And the Lord Jesus says that that same spirit of power will enable them be witnesses unto him, of his death, burial, and resurrection.

In the final analysis, the Bible says, " For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh" (Romans 8:3). Put somewhat differently, what was not permissible through the law, being that it was weak, is permissible under grace by Christ Jesus.
So because they gather at the house of Chloe mean Chloe is their leader? Such baseless assumption.
Did you read where Paul said let your women keep quiet?
Paul was writing to the whole church of which the house of Chloe were part of. They came to report what was happening in the church.

You just mixing unrelated verses of the scripture to promote an erroneous idea.

1 Like

Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by ocnovakmichael(m): 5:37am On Sep 09
Steep:
So because they gather at the house of Chloe mean Chloe is their leader? Such baseless assumption.
Did you read where Paul said let your women keep quiet?
Paul was writing to the whole church of which the house of Chloe were part of. They came to report what was happening in the church.

You just mixing unrelated verses of the scripture to promote an erroneous idea.

How did you know Chloe was not the leader?

When Paul was mentioning those of the house of Chloe he would've mentioned the leader. Yet he said, "... It has been reported by those of the house of Chloe."

Brothers, like I said, I'm not here to explain away the scriptures, but to let everyone see that Paul wasn't in the wrong for quoting the law. Also, that God has poured out his Spirit upon all flesh (male and female).
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 5:51am On Sep 09
paxonel:

The bold proves you are talking rubbish and Deborah judged the people "under a Tree" and not from the Tabernacle or Temple where the priests are

So, clearly, Deborah is the first female Judge BUT SHE WAS NOT A PRIEST.AND DID NOT CARRY OUT THE OFFICE OF A PRIEST.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 6:00am On Sep 09
TimiRume:
Insightful smiley though I still believe women shouldn't be leaders of men or exercise authirity over them because of how God has created both genders and assigned them natural offices even before Moses...

You know this is not True.

You know at creation both the male and female were equal which is why the bible Said "their name was Adam", the history and beginning of Mr. and Mrs the man's name (and not Adam and Eve as people have been taught to see)

And you women already knew that it is because female Adam sinned first, is why she became lower than her equal exactly how classmates are equal but the one who steals will be lower than the rest of his classmates.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 6:13am On Sep 09
Steep:

And David still went to the priests to do his office and did not carry out the sacrifices himself in the temple since he was the leader.
Re: Let Your Women Keep Silence In The Churches: Was Paul Wrong? by StillDtruth: 6:22am On Sep 09
paxonel:
poygamist!
Good grin

Now, look at this :

Genesis 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them..

This scripture shows that God loves creating varieties of things and he was never discriminative in blessing them.

Now, let's talk about discrimination :
Racial discrimination, Tribal discrimination, Gender discrimination, call it whatever type of discrimination.

Like monogamy which is most times better than polygamy, Do you think that discrimination or sentimental prejudice is good in any form?

Classmates are equal but when one of them steals, the thief becomes lower than his peers which would appear like discrinination

Same thing for fiance/fiancee, husband and wife who are equal until one of them cheats and becomes lower.

So the only discrimination the bible condemns is the one born out of wickedness and evil and not the one arising out of nature because that person did a wrong

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ex-anglican Primate Akinola Rescued From Kidnappers / Spiritual Digest For The Day 27th Of December 2013 / Fall Of The Muslim Brotherhood Continues Former Leaders Declared Terrorists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.