Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,897 members, 7,973,070 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 07:49 AM

One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) (507 Views)

Best Female Nigeria Author / One Man Mopol By Awe Samuel Olutayo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) by Generallord419: 6:09pm On Sep 01
Chapter One: The Reckoning

The night was thick with tension. As the final bell rang from the chapel, signaling curfew, Eniola found herself lingering in the shadows of the university’s main building. The moon hung high, casting an ethereal glow over the campus, but it did little to calm her racing heart. She shouldn’t have come. She knew it from the moment she decided to follow Dami here, yet something—a feeling she couldn’t quite name—had driven her. Maybe it was the look in his eyes earlier that day, or the way he’d held her hand a second too long, igniting something within her that had long been buried under layers of duty and guilt.

Dami wasn’t supposed to be here. No one was. The night air was still, save for the distant hum of generators from the boys’ hostel. Eniola leaned against the cold wall, her mind playing back the events that led her to this point.

The chemistry lab had been a sanctuary for her and Amara, her best friend since they both awkwardly navigated the early days of university life. Amara was the sister she never had, and Dami…well, Dami was everything Amara had ever wanted. Tall, intelligent, and with that easy charm that made everyone’s heart skip a beat. Eniola had been the supportive best friend, listening to Amara’s daydreams, offering advice, and being her rock. That was until the day Dami started looking at her differently.

It had been subtle at first. A lingering glance during group study sessions, a quick smile when Amara wasn’t looking. Eniola had brushed it off, chalking it up to her imagination. But as the days turned into weeks, the tension between them grew thicker, impossible to ignore. She felt it in the way he sat closer to her, his arm occasionally brushing against hers, sending shivers down her spine. She noticed it in the way he sought her out in the cafeteria, his eyes locking with hers, silently communicating things neither of them dared to speak aloud.

She had tried to distance herself, had even gone as far as to suggest to Amara that maybe Dami wasn’t that interested, trying to deflate her hopes gently. But Amara, ever the optimist, had laughed it off, insisting that he was just shy, that it was only a matter of time before he asked her out.

But it wasn’t Amara he’d asked to meet him tonight under the pretense of discussing an upcoming project. It was Eniola.

She hadn’t told Amara, hadn’t even hinted at it. How could she? The guilt gnawed at her, but so did the curiosity. What did he want to say that couldn’t wait until tomorrow, that couldn’t be said in the light of day? Eniola was torn between loyalty and the undeniable pull she felt toward him, a pull that she had tried so hard to ignore.

Footsteps echoed in the quiet, pulling her from her thoughts. Eniola’s breath hitched as Dami emerged from the darkness, his expression unreadable. He wore a simple black polo and jeans, his usual casual attire, but there was something about the way he moved tonight, with a determined purpose, that sent a wave of unease through her.

“Eni,” he greeted, his voice low, almost cautious. He stepped closer, his eyes searching hers, and for a moment, neither of them spoke. The air between them buzzed with unspoken words, with all the things they were too afraid to admit.

“Dami,” she replied, her voice betraying the nervousness she felt. She crossed her arms, as if the gesture could somehow shield her from what was coming.

“I didn’t mean to drag you out here,” he began, running a hand through his hair, a tell-tale sign of his own nerves. “But I needed to talk to you. Alone.”

“About what?” Eniola asked, though she already had an inkling. She had been avoiding this conversation for weeks, knowing that it would only complicate things, knowing that it would betray the one person who had been nothing but kind to her.

“About us,” he said, his voice firm now, his eyes never leaving hers. “About what’s been happening between us.”

“Nothing’s been happening,” Eniola lied, her heart pounding in her chest. She wanted to believe it, wanted to convince herself that this was all in her head, but the look in Dami’s eyes told her that he felt it too.

“Eni, stop,” he said softly, taking a step closer. “We both know that’s not true. I…I can’t keep pretending that I don’t feel something for you. It’s been driving me crazy, and I don’t know what to do about it.”

His words hung in the air, heavy and dangerous. Eniola felt a rush of emotions—fear, desire, guilt—all tangled up in a knot that threatened to choke her. This was wrong. So wrong. But the way he was looking at her, the sincerity in his voice, made it so hard to remember that.

“Dami, we can’t,” she whispered, her voice trembling. “Amara—”

“I know,” he interrupted, his voice pained. “I know. But I can’t help it, Eni. I’ve tried to stay away, tried to focus on Amara, but…” He trailed off, his gaze dropping to the ground. “But I can’t.”

Eniola felt tears prick her eyes. This was exactly what she had feared, exactly what she had tried to avoid. But here it was, staring her in the face, and she had no idea how to handle it. She should have turned around and walked away, should have told him that this was madness, that they needed to forget it ever happened. But instead, she found herself stepping closer, drawn to him like a moth to a flame.

“Dami,” she breathed, her voice barely above a whisper. He looked up, his eyes meeting hers, and in that moment, she knew she was lost.

He closed the distance between them in a heartbeat, his hand reaching out to cup her cheek, his touch sending sparks through her skin. Eniola’s breath caught in her throat as he leaned in, his lips brushing against hers in a tentative kiss, testing, asking for permission.

She knew she should stop him, knew that this was the point of no return, but she couldn’t. She didn’t want to. With a soft sigh, she gave in, kissing him back, letting herself get swept away by the emotions she had kept buried for so long.

The kiss deepened, and Eniola felt herself melt into him, the world around them fading away. In that moment, nothing else mattered—no consequences, no guilt, no Amara. It was just them, lost in each other, in a moment that felt both inevitable and forbidden.

But as quickly as it began, reality crashed back down on her, and she pulled away, gasping for air, her heart pounding in her chest.

“What are we doing?” she whispered, her voice shaky. She took a step back, wrapping her arms around herself, trying to hold herself together.

“I don’t know,” Dami admitted, his voice filled with regret. He reached for her, but she backed away, shaking her head.

“This is wrong, Dami. We can’t do this. Amara…she doesn’t deserve this.”

“I know,” he said, his voice breaking. “I know. But I don’t know how to stop feeling this way, Eni.”

Tears welled up in her eyes as she looked at him, the man who had become so much more to her than just her best friend’s crush. But it wasn’t enough. It couldn’t be.

“We have to stop,” she said firmly, though her voice wavered. “We have to end this before it goes any further. Before it ruins everything.”

Dami looked at her, his expression torn, but he nodded slowly, understanding the weight of what she was saying. “You’re right,” he said quietly. “We can’t keep doing this.”

For a moment, they stood there in silence, the gravity of their decision hanging between them. Eniola felt a sharp pain in her chest, but she knew it was the right thing to do. She couldn’t betray Amara like this, couldn’t live with the guilt of knowing she had hurt the person who had been her closest friend.

“We should go,” she said finally, turning away from him, her voice thick with unshed tears.

“Yeah,” Dami agreed, his voice heavy. “We should.”

They walked away from each other, the distance between them growing with each step. Eniola could feel her heart breaking, but she forced herself to keep moving, to not look back. She had made her choice, and she had to live with it.

But as she walked away, she couldn’t shake the feeling that this wasn’t over. Not by a long shot.

Re: One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) by Generallord419: 6:09pm On Sep 01
*Chapter Two: The Cracks Begin to Show*

The days that followed were a blur of routine, of forced smiles and hollow laughter. Eniola threw herself into her studies, avoiding Dami and Amara as much as she could. It wasn’t easy—they were all in the same department, often in the same classes—but she managed to keep her distance, to keep her head down and her heart guarded.

But the more she tried to forget, the harder it became. Every time she saw Dami, her heart would skip a beat, her mind replaying that kiss over and over again, torturing her with what could have been. And Amara…sweet, unsuspecting Amara, who continued to gush about Dami, oblivious to the storm brewing beneath the surface. Eniola’s guilt gnawed at her constantly, turning every moment with Amara into a minefield of suppressed emotions and half-truths. She found herself smiling through the pain, nodding along to Amara’s fantasies of a future with Dami, all the while knowing she was the one standing in the way of her best friend’s happiness.

The days blurred into weeks, and the tension that simmered beneath the surface grew harder to contain. Eniola noticed it in the way Dami avoided her gaze during lectures, how he seemed to make a point of not sitting near her in the cafeteria. Yet, despite the distance they tried to maintain, the pull between them was undeniable. Every time their paths crossed, she felt it—a magnetic force, drawing her toward him, even as she fought to resist.

Then came the night of the department’s annual dinner, an event that everyone had been looking forward to. It was a chance to let loose, to take a break from the stress of assignments and exams. But for Eniola, it was just another opportunity for her carefully constructed facade to crumble.

She stood in front of her mirror, staring at her reflection. Her long, dark hair was styled in soft curls that framed her face, and she wore a simple, elegant dress that hugged her curves in all the right places. Yet, despite how she looked, she felt anything but confident. There was a heaviness in her chest, a sense of impending doom that she couldn’t shake.

Amara burst into the room, all smiles and excitement. She was a vision in red, her dress vibrant against her dark skin, her eyes sparkling with anticipation. “Eni, you look amazing!” she exclaimed, twirling around in front of the mirror. “Tonight is going to be so much fun!”

Eniola forced a smile, pushing down the lump in her throat. “You look stunning, Amara,” she replied, meaning it. “Dami won’t be able to take his eyes off you.”

At the mention of his name, Amara’s face lit up. “Do you really think so?” she asked, a hint of nervousness in her voice. “I mean, I’ve been waiting for him to make a move for so long. Maybe tonight is the night.”

Eniola’s smile faltered, but she quickly recovered, nodding enthusiastically. “I’m sure it will be,” she said, even though the words tasted bitter on her tongue. She wanted to believe it, wanted to be happy for her friend, but the image of Dami’s lips on hers haunted her, a constant reminder of her betrayal.

They arrived at the dinner together, arm in arm, like they always did. The venue was beautifully decorated, with twinkling lights and soft music setting the mood. Students and lecturers mingled, laughing and chatting as they enjoyed the evening. But Eniola barely noticed any of it. All she could think about was Dami—where he was, what he was thinking, and how she was going to get through the night without falling apart.

It wasn’t long before they spotted him. Dami was standing with a group of their friends, looking effortlessly handsome in a navy blue blazer and slacks. His eyes met Eniola’s from across the room, and for a moment, everything else faded away. She saw the flicker of longing in his gaze, the unspoken words hanging between them like a heavy cloud.

But then Amara was there, pulling Eniola toward the group, her excitement palpable. “Dami!” she called out, her smile wide. “You clean up nice!”

He returned her smile, though it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “You too, Amara,” he replied, his voice strained. His gaze briefly flickered to Eniola before he looked away, focusing on the conversation around him.

The evening dragged on, each passing minute feeling like an eternity. Eniola tried to engage, to laugh at the jokes and contribute to the discussions, but her mind was elsewhere. She was acutely aware of Dami’s presence, of the way his eyes would occasionally land on her, filled with the same confusion and desire that mirrored her own.

As the night wore on, the music changed, and the dance floor filled with couples swaying to the slow, romantic tunes. Amara’s eyes sparkled as she turned to Dami, a hopeful smile on her lips. “Dami, want to dance?” she asked, her voice tinged with anticipation.

Eniola held her breath, watching as Dami hesitated. For a moment, she thought he might refuse, might come up with some excuse to avoid the dance. But then he nodded, taking Amara’s hand and leading her to the dance floor.

Eniola watched them, her heart aching with every step they took. She should be happy for them, should be relieved that Dami was trying to make things right, to focus on Amara. But all she felt was emptiness, a hollow ache that consumed her.

She turned away, unable to watch any longer. She needed air, needed to escape the suffocating atmosphere of the hall. Without a word to anyone, she slipped out of the room, her steps hurried as she made her way to the balcony.

The cool night air hit her like a wave, offering a brief respite from the chaos inside. She leaned against the railing, closing her eyes and taking deep, calming breaths. But the reprieve was short-lived.

“I was wondering how long it would take for you to run.”

Eniola’s eyes snapped open at the sound of Dami’s voice. He stood at the entrance to the balcony, his hands shoved into his pockets, his expression unreadable.

“What are you doing out here?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

He shrugged, stepping closer. “I needed some air,” he replied, though they both knew it was more than that.

They stood in silence, the weight of everything unsaid pressing down on them. The sounds of the party drifted out from the hall, a stark contrast to the quiet tension between them.

“Why did you ask her to dance?” Eniola blurted out, surprising even herself with the question.

Dami sighed, running a hand through his hair. “Because it’s what I’m supposed to do,” he said, his voice heavy with resignation. “Because I’m trying to do the right thing.”

“And what is the right thing, Dami?” Eniola challenged, her emotions boiling over. “To pretend that nothing happened between us? To pretend that you don’t feel anything for me?”

He looked at her, his eyes filled with anguish. “What do you want me to do, Eni? Tell Amara the truth? Break her heart? I can’t do that to her.”

“And you think this is better?” she shot back, her voice trembling with emotion. “Pretending like we don’t care about each other? Hurting ourselves just to protect her?”

Dami’s jaw clenched, and he stepped closer, his gaze intense. “What do you want from me, Eniola?” he demanded, his voice low and raw. “I’m trying to make this right, but I don’t know how. I don’t know how to stop thinking about you, how to stop wanting you.”

His words cut through her, and she felt tears welling up in her eyes. “I don’t know either,” she admitted, her voice breaking. “But this…this isn’t the answer.”

They stood there, inches apart, the distance between them both physical and emotional. Eniola could feel the heat of his body, the pull that had been drawing them together for weeks. But she knew they were at an impasse, trapped between what they wanted and what was right.

“Dami,” she whispered, her voice trembling with the weight of her emotions. “We can’t keep doing this. We’re going to destroy ourselves…and Amara in the process.”

He looked at her, his eyes filled with a mixture of pain and longing. “I know,” he said, his voice barely audible. “But I don’t know how to stop.”

The silence between them was suffocating, each of them lost in their own turmoil. Eniola wanted to reach out, to touch him, to find comfort in his presence. But she knew that would only make things worse.

“We need to figure this out,” she said finally, her voice steady despite the tears that threatened to spill over. “Before it’s too late.”

Dami nodded, his expression somber. “You’re right,” he agreed. “We need to make a decision…together.”

They stood there, the gravity of their situation pressing down on them. Eniola knew that whatever happened next, things would never be the same. The choices they made tonight would determine the course of their future—one that would either bring them together or tear them apart.

But as they turned to re-enter the hall, a cold dread settled in her stomach. She couldn’t shake the feeling that they were already too far gone, that no matter what decision they made, someone would end up broken.

*Chapter Three: The Unraveling*

The days following the department dinner were a blur of awkward silences and unspoken tension. Eniola and Dami had agreed to keep their distance, to avoid any more situations where their feelings might get the best of them. But the more they tried to stay apart, the more the cracks in their resolve began to show.

Amara, oblivious to the turmoil brewing between her two closest friends, continued to push forward with her plans to finally win Dami’s heart. She sought Eniola’s advice at every turn, asking for tips on how to get his attention, on what to wear, on what to say. Eniola gave her the best advice she could muster,though each suggestion felt like a stab to her own heart. It was excruciating, pretending to be the supportive friend while knowing that the very thing Amara wanted was the one thing she couldn’t bear to give up.

The tension between Eniola and Dami grew thicker with each passing day, like a storm brewing just beneath the surface. They avoided each other as much as possible, exchanging only the bare minimum of words during group projects and lectures. But the distance didn’t help. If anything, it made the longing worse, the unresolved emotions festering in the silence between them.

One afternoon, after a particularly difficult lecture on organic chemistry, Amara bounced up to Eniola, her face lit with excitement. “Guess what?” she said, practically buzzing with energy.

Eniola managed a small smile. “What’s got you so hyped?”

“Dami asked me to help him with his project tonight,” Amara gushed, her eyes shining. “I think this is it, Eni! I think he’s finally starting to see me as more than just a friend.”

Eniola’s heart sank. She should have been happy for Amara, should have been thrilled that her friend was finally getting what she’d wanted for so long. But all she felt was dread, a gnawing anxiety that settled in the pit of her stomach.

“That’s great, Amara,” she forced herself to say, though her voice sounded hollow even to her own ears.

Amara didn’t seem to notice. She was too caught up in her own excitement, too focused on the idea of finally being with Dami to see the pain in Eniola’s eyes. “I’m going to wear that new dress I bought last week,” she said, her mind already racing with plans. “The one you said was perfect for a date.”

Eniola nodded, her throat tight. “You’ll look amazing,” she said, the words almost choking her. She knew she should be encouraging, but every word felt like a betrayal, a lie she was telling to protect her friend from a truth that could shatter everything.

That evening, as Amara prepared for her “study date” with Dami, Eniola sat on her bed, staring blankly at her phone. She couldn’t shake the image of them together, couldn’t stop the flood of emotions that threatened to overwhelm her. She wanted to scream, to cry, to do anything to release the pressure building inside her, but instead, she remained silent, her emotions trapped behind a wall of duty and guilt.

When Amara finally left, a bright smile on her face and hope in her eyes, Eniola felt like she was suffocating. She couldn’t stay in the room, couldn’t sit there and pretend that everything was fine. She needed to get out, needed to clear her head.

She grabbed her bag and left the hostel, her feet carrying her to the one place where she could think: the university gardens. It was a quiet place, away from the bustle of campus life, where students often came to study or relax. Eniola had always found peace there, but tonight, her mind was anything but calm.

She found a bench near the rose garden and sat down, her thoughts racing. She couldn’t keep going like this, couldn’t keep pretending that everything was okay. But what choice did she have? She couldn’t hurt Amara. She couldn’t destroy her friend’s dreams for her own selfish desires. Yet, every time she thought about Dami, about the way he made her feel, she knew that burying her feelings wasn’t working. It was only making things worse.

As the sun began to set, casting long shadows across the garden, Eniola felt her phone buzz in her pocket. She pulled it out, her heart skipping a beat when she saw Dami’s name on the screen.

*Dami:* *Can we talk?*

She hesitated, her fingers hovering over the screen. She knew she shouldn’t. She should tell him to focus on Amara, to leave her alone so they could both move on. But her heart betrayed her, and before she knew it, she had typed out a reply.

*Eniola:* *Where?*

His response was immediate.

*Dami:* *The gardens. By the roses.*

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. She was already there. It felt like fate, like something was pushing them together despite all the reasons they had to stay apart. She knew this was a bad idea, knew that every time they were alone, things got more complicated. But the pull was too strong to resist.

When she reached the rose garden, Dami was already there, leaning against a tree, his expression troubled. He looked up as she approached, his eyes locking onto hers, and in that moment, she knew there was no turning back.

“Eni,” he said softly, his voice tinged with regret. “I’m sorry.”

She stopped a few feet away from him, her arms wrapped around herself as if to keep from falling apart. “For what?” she asked, though she wasn’t sure she wanted to hear the answer.

“For everything,” he said, his voice filled with anguish. “For putting you in this position, for dragging you into my mess. I never wanted to hurt you.”

Her heart ached at the sincerity in his voice, at the pain she saw in his eyes. “Dami, this isn’t just your fault,” she said, her voice trembling. “I’m just as responsible. We both let this happen.”

He shook his head, frustration evident on his face. “But it shouldn’t have happened,” he said, his voice rising slightly. “We shouldn’t have let it get this far. Now Amara—” He broke off, his expression pained.

“Did she say something?” Eniola asked, fear creeping into her voice.

He shook his head. “No, she didn’t. She’s completely oblivious, and that’s the problem. She trusts me. She’s counting on me to be the guy she thinks I am. And I…I don’t know how to tell her that I’m not that guy.”

Tears welled up in Eniola’s eyes as she listened to him. She understood his torment, understood the weight of the guilt that was crushing them both. But she also knew that they couldn’t keep going like this.

“We have to tell her,” she said, her voice firm despite the tears that threatened to spill over. “We have to be honest, Dami. It’s not fair to her to keep her in the dark. She deserves the truth.”

Dami looked at her, his expression filled with a mix of fear and resignation. “And then what?” he asked quietly. “What happens after we tell her? We destroy her trust, her dreams…what then?”

“I don’t know,” Eniola admitted, her voice breaking. “But we can’t keep lying to her. It’s tearing us apart.”

He was silent for a long moment, his gaze dropping to the ground as he considered her words. Finally, he nodded, a decision settling over him. “You’re right,” he said softly. “We have to tell her.”

Eniola felt a wave of relief wash over her, but it was quickly followed by a deep sense of dread. This was the right thing to do, but it was also the hardest. She knew that the truth would change everything, would shatter the fragile balance they had been trying to maintain. But it was the only way forward.

“When?” she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

“Tomorrow,” he replied, his voice steady. “We’ll tell her together. She deserves to hear it from both of us.”

Eniola nodded, her heart heavy with the weight of what was to come. Tomorrow. The word echoed in her mind, filled with the promise of pain and the hope of redemption. She knew it would be one of the hardest days of her life, but she also knew it was necessary.

As they stood there in the fading light, Eniola felt a strange sense of calm settle over her. They were finally taking a step toward honesty, toward freeing themselves from the lies that had bound them. It wouldn’t be easy, and the road ahead was uncertain, but at least they were facing it together.

“Thank you,” Dami said quietly, his voice breaking the silence. “For being brave enough to do this. For helping me do the right thing.”

Eniola looked at him, her heart swelling with a mix of emotions—regret, sorrow, and a lingering affection that she couldn’t fully suppress. “We’ll get through this,” she said softly, more to reassure herself than him.

He nodded, but the sadness in his eyes told her that he wasn’t as sure. They were standing on the edge of a precipice, and tomorrow, they would take the plunge, not knowing if they would come out whole on the other side.

But for now, all they could do was wait for the dawn, knowing that once it came, there would be no turning back.

Continue on...

WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029VahLy0U05MUn24XMjl1H

Or

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJWnGZuwHHE?si=u4tTZqHaD8EYDQgd

Re: One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) by vanbonattel: 6:15pm On Sep 01
Tribalism thread.
Re: One Man Doing TWO Best Female Friends (roommates) by Generallord419: 8:07pm On Sep 01
Damn! God is great
Different people with different ways they think... Never ever crossed my mind.
God will heal you bro

(1) (Reply)

Everyone Needs Kind People, but Kind People Are Very Few. / Purpose In Life 2 / How To Get Quality Articles For As Cheap As $5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.