Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,087 members, 7,939,392 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 02:22 AM

Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative (10019 Views)

Nigeria Has 2nd Highest rate of Paternity Fraud In The World / Paternity Fraud: Shocking Revelations As More Couples Embrace DNA Testing / Women, DNA Testing Is Not A Home Breaker: It Can Vindicate You (opinion) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by FreeStuffsNG: 6:38pm On Sep 02
Lagos leads the way in DNA testing across Nigeria, as 27% of all paternity tests conducted across the country proved negative indicating that in over one in four cases, the man tested was not the biological father.

This is according to the newly released report by Smart DNA titled Smart DNA 2024 report.

The report, which covers the period from June 2023 to June 2024, reveals that the bustling state accounted for a staggering 73.1% of all DNA tests conducted, dwarfing other states like Oyo (5.5%), Ogun (5.3%), Rivers (4.0%), and Delta (3.5%).

This finding highlights the complex realities and doubts surrounding family structures in Nigeria, where DNA testing has become increasingly sought after to resolve paternity issues.

According to the report, 73.0% of tests returned positive results, confirming the biological relationship between the child and the tested father. Lagos particularly on the Mainland recorded 67.5% compared to the Island of 32.5%.

The report points to the purchasing power of Lagosians as the primary driver behind this geographical disparity.

Reasons for the tests
The report also provided insights into the reasons behind the surge in DNA testing, with 85.9% of tests categorized under ‘Peace of Mind,’ indicating that individuals primarily seek DNA confirmation for personal reasons rather than legal or immigration purposes.

Notably, DNA tests for immigration purposes grew by 11.5% during the period compared to previous years, reflecting the ongoing trend “Japa” syndrome where Nigerians seek greener pastures abroad, often necessitating DNA verification for their children’s emigration.

Gender dynamics
The report reveals a stark gender disparity among those initiating DNA tests. Men overwhelmingly dominate the statistics, making up 88.2% of the first contacts, while women accounted for just 11.8%. This suggests that men are more likely to have doubts about paternity or other familial relationships, prompting them to seek testing.

However, the report cautions that the data might not be representative of the broader population. “People who come to us usually have valid reasons for questioning paternity, which creates a clear sample bias,” the report notes. This means that the instances of paternity fraud uncovered in their tests could be higher than in the general population.

Cultural trends
Furthermore, the report highlighted the demographic distribution of test requesters, with the Yoruba ethnic group accounting for the highest percentage of tests (53%), followed by Igbo (31.3%), Hausa (1.2%), and others (14.5%). Most tests were conducted on male children (52.8%), possibly indicating a cultural preference for confirming the paternity of male offspring.

In terms of age, the majority of DNA tests were conducted on children aged 0-5 years (54%), followed by those aged 6-12 years (24%), suggesting that parents often seek to establish paternity early in their children’s lives

Another interesting finding is the gender of the children tested, with slightly more tests conducted on male children (52.8%) than female children (47.2%). This may suggest a cultural preference for confirming the paternity of male offspring.

What you should know
Paternity scandals are a growing issue in Nigeria, causing significant social and legal impacts across families and communities. Traditional expectations place immense value on family lineage and the legitimacy of children, the pressure to maintain the appearance of a stable family unit can be overwhelming. This societal emphasis often leads individuals to conceal paternity issues rather than confront them openly.

Despite growing suspicions, many people hesitate to seek DNA testing due to the prohibitive costs. According to findings from Nairametrics, conducting a paternity or maternity test in Nigeria can cost approximately ₦280,000 for a father/mother, and child, this price tag remains out of reach for many families.

Consequently, the cost of testing becomes a significant barrier, preventing some individuals from obtaining the answers they need and perpetuating the cycle of uncertainty and mistrust within the family structure.
https://nairametrics.com/2024/09/02/lagos-drives-dna-testing-surge-in-nigeria-27-of-paternity-results-negative/

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by FreeStuffsNG: 6:39pm On Sep 02
Very interesting data. I wish there's data on the profession, the location of the testing centers and marital status of the contact clients too.

I am not surprised that there are more men interested in determining paternity than women, it's largely because of our patriarchal traditional society. However, that percentage for women is significant. So what's the main motivation for women conducting paternity tests on their children? We grew up being told that a woman only knows the true father of her children. Has it changed now or those sampled did the test to meet emigration requirements ni?

If the testing centers are located on the Lagos Island then it will be biased to Islanders than Lagos Mainland residents. The sampling size compared to the whole population of Lagos is too small and raises doubt about how popular the paternity test service is especially if compared to data of people who use the traditional oath taking process for confirming paternity.

Above all, it's a good news overall that there's no epidemic yet and perhaps explain why Lagos has remained peaceful from generations to generations.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

33 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Magnetic010: 7:10pm On Sep 02
But why would a woman conduct DNA test on her child? Does she not know who got her pregnant?
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Mynd44: 7:35am On Sep 03
Magnetic010:
But why would a woman conduct DNA test on her child? Does she not know who got her pregnant?
Not exactly.

There has been cases of babies being switched at hospitals by either mistake or purposely.

There was even a case of an hospital worker who did it for fun for years

42 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Candidlady: 7:36am On Sep 03
Mynd44:

Not exactly.

There has been cases of babies being switched at hospitals by either mistake or purposely.

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by LordGuru1: 7:37am On Sep 03
Mynd44:

Not exactly.

Chai! My brother, this is serious. I wish we can all: https://www.nairaland.com/8202750/tending-news-igbo-mans-selfless

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by FuckSilly: 7:37am On Sep 03
cheesy
No surprise!
I pray that this DNA test will become so cheap like 50k and a lot of people can be able to carry out as they want.
SO MANY PEOPLE WANT TO DO IT BUT DON'T HAVE THE MEANS.
The cheapest now is around 250k or above...
If this becomes a reality, all these morally bankrupted loose whorés and coded hookup girlfriends and wives will definitely think
twice before they play reckless games.

This is a BROKEN and damaged whør̃e and dogs generation.

Just yesterday, some unfortunate pigs were praising a 19 years old professional prostitute who paid off her father's $15,000 debt...

A fool quoted "he who doesn't sin should cast the first stone...
When you commit a crime and the judge is about to sentence you, you should tell him or her that nonsense.
So because everyone sins now, we should condemn immortalities?

We would continue to have paternity fraud cases in this generation unless we stopped turning the blind eyes and stop this nonsense of minding your business.

WHEN YOU SEE EVIL, CALL IT OUT!
DON'T HIDE EVIL
DON'T MIND YOUR BUSINESS.

Responsible parents and Men with sense will always priotize sexual purity.

GO FOR VIRGINS
DIG HER PAST AND JUDGE HER BY IT
DON'T MARRY A WHORÉ
DON'T PAY BRIDE PRICE ON A GIRL THAT HAS BEEN PASSED AROUND AND USED BY MULTIPLE MEN.
DON'T LET ANYONE DECEIVE YOU WITH "I HAVE LOW BODYCOUNT" NONSENSE.
IF SHE'S NOT A VIRGIN, SHE'S A WHORÉ.

It's mostly girls that have lived a wayward life, dated numerous guys, brought up by irresponsible parents etc THAT HAVE THE HIGH TENDENCY OF BRINGING BASTAɌDS HOME.

IF SHE KEPT HERSELF TILL MARRIAGE
IF SHE WAS RAISED BY RESPONSIBLE PARENTS
IF SHE'S TRULY GOD-FEARING, SHE'LL MOST LIKELY NOT CHEAT IN MARRIAGE AND BRING YOU BASTÀRDS.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by IgboYorubaFulan: 7:37am On Sep 03
Magnetic010:
Hmm..
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by LagosPrince: 7:38am On Sep 03
Fear women

Some women

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Trollronaldo: 7:38am On Sep 03
Na ashawo women full naija

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by bewla(m): 7:39am On Sep 03
Tu
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Kingpele(m): 7:39am On Sep 03
Nawaoh....I don't know how a married woman should have the mind to open her legs for another man to sleep with her... our culture as Africans doesn't permit it and God himself as the creator of all things doesn't permit it either...so where do such women get the liver to cheat on their husbands...a man should be faithful to his wife or wives for Muslims and a woman should be faithful to her husband unconditionally...to avoid bringing disgrace to yourself when exposed through DNA test

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by GanagiBitrus: 7:40am On Sep 03
For me, any child I have shown love & has grown to call me daddy is my child.
I don't need no DNA test.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by bigdammyj: 7:40am On Sep 03
Noted .
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by letitrainnow(m): 7:40am On Sep 03
Lagos leads the way in DNA testing across Nigeria, as 27% of all paternity tests conducted across the country proved negative indicating that in over one in four cases, the man tested was not the biological father.
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by victory36(m): 7:42am On Sep 03
grin
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Moony45: 7:42am On Sep 03
Nice study!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by tnerro1(m): 7:42am On Sep 03
Well, what can we say. Yoruba women, both married and unmarried enjoy sex a lot , and it’s not mainly for the money 😋
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by axglide(m): 7:43am On Sep 03
Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand. Accept Jesus Christ today.
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by AllTrades217: 7:44am On Sep 03
Lol to be honest I know some women will come here to say nonsense like swapping of babies in the hospital but we all know that’s not common, husband dey stay inside labor room with him wife these days, this is just the case of infidelity with women, 85% of Nigerian women are not faithful!! That’s just it. I buy chime funds, I sell Google voice and esim, I buy cashapp and PayPal funds at awesome rate. Zero nine zero sixty one seventeen thirty six ninety five.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by vonlogon: 7:46am On Sep 03
I've had a case where the paternity test returned negative and the woman was so sure that she didn't meet any other person, that was when a maternal DNA was also done and it returned negative too. Most likely explanation, baby has been mixed up or switched. Won ti d'omo po n' mercy

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by omowolewa: 7:46am On Sep 03
Seriously?

27% Away matches

1 Like

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Donchieli: 7:47am On Sep 03
Showa
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:48am On Sep 03
Ok
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Bobloco: 7:48am On Sep 03
angry
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:48am On Sep 03
Hhh
Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Solseal007: 7:49am On Sep 03
FreeStuffsNG:
Very interesting data. I wish there's data on the profession, the location of the testing centers and marital status of the contact clients too.

I am not surprised that there are more men interested in determining paternity than women, it's largely because of our patriarchal traditional society. However, that percentage for women is significant. So what's the main motivation for women conducting paternity tests on their children? We grew up being told that a woman only knows the true father of her children. Has it changed now or those sampled did the test to meet emigration requirements ni?

If the testing centers are located on the Lagos Island then it will be biased to Islanders than Lagos Mainland residents. The sampling size compared to the whole population of Lagos is too small and raises doubt about how popular the paternity test service is especially if compared to data of people who use the traditional oath taking process for confirming paternity.

Above all, it's a good news overall that there's no epidemic yet and perhaps explain why Lagos has remained peaceful from generations to generations.

May God bless Nigeria for ever! Check my signature for free stuffs!

Did u understood what u wrote, it makes no sense, for ur mind now u re brilliant but this is absolute gibberish

1 Like

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by masterfactor(m): 7:49am On Sep 03
Any woman that I will marry, virgin or not, DNA test must be done, if that will end the marriage no problem, I can't raise another man child.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Arigo5: 7:50am On Sep 03

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by Mindlog: 7:50am On Sep 03
Magnetic010:

Baby switching in hospital is real....my younger brother was almost switched, if not for the vigilance of relatives around, at the time of birth.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Drives DNA Testing Surge In Nigeria, 27% Of Paternity Results Negative by iampeterben(m): 7:50am On Sep 03
Where are they getting this statistics from?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unbelievable! Man Marries Three Blood Sisters! / Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? / Nairaland Christmas Giveaway 2017!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.