Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,827 members, 7,945,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 10:29 PM

Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. (9785 Views)

Yahaya Bello And Dangote Reconcile, Settle Rift Over Obajana Cement (Photos) / Obajana: 2002 Agreement Between Kogi And Dangote Released / Seyi Tinubu Greets Obasanjo, Osinbajo And Dangote At Otedolas Mums Birthday-phot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Aussie2doc: 9:34am On Sep 07
LAGOS RAIL MASS TRANSIT AND DANGOTE REFINERY, THE GAME CHANGER IN THE MIDST OF CHAOS!

Santorini a small-town set on a hill. One of the wonderful experiences in Santorini is to climb the steps to the city center rather than using the traditional horses or the cable cars.

To do this, you must be physically fit and mentally strong. There are 588 steps, and the way up is very steep. As I climbed those steps panting, I was equally competing with horses carrying people up the hill. I also stopped regularly to enjoy the views as the cable cars were airlifting people to the proverbial city set on a hill.

At a time, I felt I would not make it to the town because I was extremely exhausted, but I kept hearing the voice of my motivational speaker, you can do it !, it says.

As I set my foot on the last set of stairs, I couldn’t help but conclude that it only takes a little planning to make a major city. For example, give people transportation options. I had the option to use cable cars and horses, I only opted to use the stairs. In Nigeria, we practically have only one means of transportation, Cars and vehicles. This is one of the major obstacles to our development.

I have used the metro system in almost all the major cities of the world, from New York to Tokyo to Hong Kong to Beijing, to Moscow and many more, one of my favorite activities is to wander about using the metro systems in different cities. I love to get lost, miss my station, find my way back and get lost again. One of the hallmarks of major developed cities all over the world is the sophistication of their public transportation system. If Nigeria will ever come out of the woods, other states will need to start copying the templates of development in Lagos state. Lagos seems to have a very robust idea of what a megacity
should look like, they are only struggling with the implementation of those ideas.

Nevertheless, whatever progress Nigeria will make in the nearest future will ultimately depend on how far Lagos can effectively carry out its lofty developmental plans.

Around seventeen years ago, President Obasanjo sold our moribund refineries to a consortium led by Dangote and Otedola. They paid close to a billion dollar for the two refineries. President Yaardua cancelled the sale and even returned the money.Many myopic Nigerians hailed him that he was incorruptible. Almost two decades later, those refineries never produced a gallon of petrol. Imagine if the consortium had started refining petrol from those refineries over a decade ago, just think about the catalyst effect it would have had on the economy. We would not need naira to import fuel for more than a decade, Naira would not be under pressure, and we would have had a lot of money for infrastructural development during the Jonathan’s era oil boom.

Who came to the rescue of the oil situation almost two decades later? DANGOTE and LAGOS STATE. Two decades wasted. Naira almost irreparably damaged. Lagos came to the rescue with the Tinubu’s inspired free trade zone providing a massive land and the needed business environment for Dangote to build a world class refinery from the scratch, when he could have repaired our moribund refineries decades ago.

While it seems everything is chaotic with the fuel situation, I am so excited about the future. With Dangote’s refinery, we can effectively solve the corruption problem around fuel subsidy. Many people are saying HOW? Dangote said they are installing a tracker to monitor the destination of every liter of petrol
loaded from the refinery.

This is a major game changer. The federal government must insist on this as a pre-condition for selling crude to Dangote. As at today, almost half of the fuel we import with our hard-earned dollars are being shipped to neighboring countries to sell in the black market. If the fuel is tracked by Dangote, we can properly track our daily consumption and even if we must pay to subsidize the fuel, it will be very minimal and will be paid in Naira.
Over a decade ago, Lagos also conceived the idea of BRT Lanes to decongest the traffic on the road. In retrospect, I think those lanes would have been dedicated to intra-city trains instead. If you have ever been to Istanbul, you would see that on every major road, a small portion is dedicated to city trains just like the BRT lane.

The difference is that while you may be on the BRT lane for hours without a single bus in sight, the train in Istanbul comes at regular intervals. What is the purpose of a BRT lane when there are no buses to ply those routes? Lagos had the idea, but the implementation is poor. I am so delighted that Sanwo Olu’s government is awake again, building extensive rail networks in Lagos state. I am only
wondering what other states are waiting for. One of the ways to reduce energy consumption is to build extensive public transportation especially rail networks.

Give people alternatives like I had in Santorini. Divert away from excessive consumption of fuel and use the money saved to further enhance the public transportation system. When it is well developed, restrict the number of cars in all the CBDs using plate number codes. That way, people will be forced to leave the cars behind at home and use the public transportation system.

In London, around 5 million people use the metro lines daily. Imagine that we can get one million people to leave their cars at home and ride the Lagos metro. Fuel consumption will be reduced, less traffic on the road, less damage to the roads and affordable accommodations because people can now live in Ibadan and commute to work in Lagos. I am still of the opinion that the BRT lanes should also be converted to Rail lines. Using Istanbul as a case study, those dedicated lanes are more than enough to build another
extensive rail line in Lagos.

Lagos is the only state that seems to have a good idea of what a city should look like even though the state is finding it difficult to implement the goals. The city is still very far from achieving the goal of a megacity, but it is the only one struggling to get there. If your state governor is not coming to Lagos for tutorial, you may need a new governor by 2027 if you don’t want your city to be left behind.

https://thenationonlineng.net/lagos-rail-mass-transit-and-dangote-refinery-the-game-changer-in-the-midst-of-chaos/

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by OkCornel(m): 9:47am On Sep 07
Good!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by lazkizz(m): 9:47am On Sep 07
Nigeria revolution go worst pass Libya 🇱🇾 own.
Like 25 warlords will be controlling different parts of the country.

Many will lost their life . The British will try to re amalgamate the broken country but it won't work.
Neo colonialism will end after the brutal civil war, the middle belt will feel the heat more than any other region.

After some years each part will experience rapid growth and development, because they now control their resources.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Odobaone: 9:47am On Sep 07
Very Robbish post. Are we talking about collaboration or game changer

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by billionview: 9:47am On Sep 07
lazkizz:

Many will lost their life . The British will try to re amalgamate the broken country but it won't work.

After some years each part will experience rapid growth and development, because they now control their resources.
Middle belt will feel the heat more than any other region.
omo e choke

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Skillsnigeria: 9:48am On Sep 07
Hmmm
Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by adonainana: 9:48am On Sep 07
Which stupid game changer is DANGOTE REFINERY

Someone got supplied crude oil in naira , refined it and instead of selling to the public, afterall the market has been deregulated.

The smart cunny simply supplies the NNPC with his petrol to determine price

In essence DANGOTE refinery never solved the problem

It simply went round the problem.

Now just like cement, DANGOTE is simply using NIGERIA NATURAL resources to run a business and make money for humself and his family.

Like I am sure everyone knows today if DANGOTE refinery burnt down and petrol stopped coming out, NNPC would simply go back abroad to import petrol for the country and sell at the same price DANGOTE refinery produced his.

SO WHAT EXACTLY was the point of the refinery

All the subsidies being paid to the different corrupt people is now simply being paid to DANGOTE.

Like IS THIS WHAT YOU MUMMUUU PEOPLE CALL A GAME CHANGER

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Zeebuy: 9:48am On Sep 07
Shege pro max

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Habbeyy: 9:49am On Sep 07
Make fuel price come down na im be the original game changer

9 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Sonyboom765: 9:50am On Sep 07
Over to obidient ipob

29 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Whois(m): 9:50am On Sep 07
Habbeyy:

Common sense isn't common

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by omowolewa: 9:50am On Sep 07
No government in the world can afford imbalance between developmental and Social Economics.

104 million citizens thrown into poverty in difficult to comprehend.

It may be true that this regime intends to drive the Social Economic with the developmental but the bend was tooo sharp for our national shock absorbers.

The mistake Nigerian made was to vote in their opposition party, now we are left with non. We now know rhe essential of opposition parties and their brilliance.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by MelaninGemstone(f): 9:51am On Sep 07
Dangote refinery that employs 90% of Indians and the remaining 10% of staff are northerners

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by SlavaUkraini: 9:51am On Sep 07
C
Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by atiku4President(m): 9:52am On Sep 07
Money from oil in the SS and SE. What does Lagos bring to the table if not heavy taxes on hardworking non-Lagosians?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Flangelo12: 9:52am On Sep 07
lazkizz:

Neo colonialism will end after the brutal civil war, the middle belt will feel the heat more than any other region.

Take a hike ibo boy.

Isn't that what you've always wanted ?

29 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Ijaya123: 9:53am On Sep 07
Habbeyy:

I will tell you how to make fuel price come down.

Apply for license to import petrol and then start selling at N200 per litre. Dangote will not have a choice than to reduce his price too.

You will become a multi millionaire overnight and so legally.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by PureFace1(m): 9:53am On Sep 07
lazkizz:

Not all stories have an happy ending

Even if the country get divided to ten parts tomorrow there's no guarantee that things will turn out well, the situation may be worse than Sudan and Somalia.

Reality is always different from how you guys usually predict things, this is not video game and fantasy, will dividing the country change the evil and corrupt nature of Nigerians ? how will dividing the country suddenly make Nigerians to change from their corrupt and greedy lifestyle ? Corruption, greed and selfishness are the core problems of Nigerians, it is what gave birth to the corrupt system we are using in Nigeria. Corrupt , greedy and selfish people can't create a fair and development oriented system, they will design something that they can exploit and something that suit their corrupt, greedy and selfish lifestyle.

Things will never change even if Nigeria get divided to 10 parts as long as the people themselves never change, more problems that's more troublesome and complex will sprang up in those new countries.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Ernerstdavid55(m): 9:55am On Sep 07
Omo
Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by tunjijones(m): 9:55am On Sep 07
Lagos is the heartbeat of Nigeria and the pride of Yoruba.

We are pleased with the rapid development going on In Lagos state

30 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Shadomaan7: 9:57am On Sep 07
lol

27 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by yourshopkwikguy(m): 9:57am On Sep 07
This is a great article particularly to redefine Lagos transport system. It'll be so great, a place like CMS/Obalende to Ibeju lekki needs a metro line fr

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Habbeyy: 9:58am On Sep 07
lazkizz:

undecided I laugh in Libya 😂😂😂
Do you really understand what revolution means? For revolution to take place in a type of country like Nigeria, it may take forever. Revolution is different from protest and Nigerians cannot even organize a meaningful protest. Revolution is also different from coup.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by oluseyiforjesus(m): 9:58am On Sep 07
If only Nigeria could go bck to regional government or everybody should go his or her way

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Chetas81(m): 9:58am On Sep 07
The enemy of Nigeria wont allowed dangote refinery to work
Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by lailo: 10:03am On Sep 07
Tinubu is a genius, an uncommon human being. We real Nigerians understand, and appreciate his effort. We will be patient with him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by lexy2014: 10:04am On Sep 07
Ijaya123:

I will tell you how to make fuel price come down.

Apply for license to import petrol and then start selling at N200 per litre. Dangote will not have a choice than to reduce his price too.

You will become a multi millionaire overnight and so legally.

who fixed the price of petrol that dangote is refining?

is it dangote that is selling the fuel he produced?
Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by lexy2014: 10:04am On Sep 07
Chetas81:
The enemy of Nigeria wont allowed dangote refinery to work

which enemy is that again?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by lexy2014: 10:05am On Sep 07
tunjijones:
Lagos is the heartbeat of Nigeria and the pride of Yoruba.

We are pleased with the rapid development going on In Lagos state

how much are people in lagos buying fuel?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by Anither563: 10:06am On Sep 07
Lagos will surely lead the way!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rail Mass Transit And Dangote Refinery, The Game Changer. by mastermaestro(m): 10:06am On Sep 07
Habbeyy:
undecided I laugh in Libya 😂😂😂
Do you really understand what revolution means? For revolution to take place in a type of country like Nigeria, it may take forever. Revolution is different from protest and Nigerians cannot even organize a meaningful protest. Revolution is also different from coup.

Don't be too sure. sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Opens Dialogue With Cameroon On Bakassi / FEC Okays N1.1b For Rail Lines / Boko Haram: 37 People Killed, 400 Houses Burnt In Borno Town

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.