Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,590 members, 7,978,965 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 05:43 PM

James Earl Jones Dies At 93 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / James Earl Jones Dies At 93 (43076 Views)

James Earl Jones The Lion King And Star Wars Legend Dies Aged 93 / James Earl Jones Is Not Dead - Debunking The Hoax / Meet Osho Rajneesh,The Indian Sex Guru Who Had 93 Rolls-Royces In The 80's (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by AdamsMosesOma: 12:09am On Sep 10
James Earl Jones, a versatile and award-winning American stage and screen actor who used his booming deep voice to bring the iconic “Star Wars” villain Darth Vader to life, has died, his representatives said Monday. He was 93 years old.

From the works of Shakespeare and August Wilson, to his indelible voiceovers in the blockbuster space saga and as Mufasa in the Disney classic “The Lion King,” Jones earned fans with his ability to play both the everyman and the otherworldly.

He won three Tony awards including a lifetime award, two Emmys and a Grammy, as well as an honorary Oscar, also for lifetime achievement.

In 1971, he became only the second Black man nominated for an Academy Award for best actor, after Sidney Poitier.

All of these accolades were hard-won, as Jones, who was born in segregated Mississippi on January 17, 1931, had to overcome a childhood stutter that often led him to barely speak at all.

“Stuttering is painful. In Sunday school, I’d try to read my lessons and the children behind me were falling on the floor with laughter,” Jones told the Daily Mail in 2010.

Reciting his own poetry, at the prodding of an English teacher, helped him to gain control of his voice, which would later be used to strike fear among millions in “Star Wars” as Darth Vader.

Jones did not physically portray the character — David Prowse wore Vader’s black cape and imposing face mask, while Jones offered the voice, oozing the evil power of the Dark Side.

“I am your father,” Vader tells Luke Skywalker, portrayed by Mark Hamill, in a pivotal fight scene in “The Empire Strikes Back” — a twist etched in cinema history.

“He created, with very little dialogue, one of the greatest villains that ever lived,” “Star Wars” creator George Lucas said in 2015 at a ceremony honoring Jones in New York.

– Broadway –
From Mississippi, Jones moved to Michigan at age five, where he was raised by his maternal grandparents.

Initially, he studied to become a doctor, and though he shifted his major to drama, and graduated from the University of Michigan, he didn’t initially think about an acting career.

“Even when I began acting studies, I thought about being a soldier,” Jones told PBS public television in 1998.

"And the idea of being an actor didn’t occur to me until after my service was almost finished.”

After university, Jones served in the US Army and then moved to New York to try his luck in acting, working as a janitor at night to make ends meet.

He made his Broadway debut in 1958 in “Sunrise at Campobello” at the Cort Theatre — which in 2022 was renamed the James Earl Jones Theatre.

He tackled many iconic Shakespeare characters on the stage, including Othello and King Lear, but also performed in several Wilson plays, chronicling the Black experience in America.

"On stage, Jones was commanding, powerful. He embodied the elegance and dignity of African American men,” said director Kenny Leon.

But the silver screen eventually came calling.

– Admirals and kings –
Jones’ film debut came in 1964 as Lieutenant Zogg in Stanley Kubrick’s Cold War satire “Dr Strangelove.”

Military roles would crop up throughout his career, notably Admiral Greer in three films about Tom Clancy’s beloved character Jack Ryan (“The Hunt for Red October,” “Patriot Games,” “Clear and Present Danger”).

https://punchng.com/james-earl-jones-voice-of-mufasa-in-lion-king-dies-at-93/

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by brain54(m): 12:11am On Sep 10
Life...

We live to die.

One of my favorite actors. I never forget his lines in one of his movies even though I was very young when I saw it "Let them wait, I am talking to my son." very compelling voice.

Rest in peace man!

114 Likes 6 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Thundafireseun: 2:52am On Sep 10
shocked I still remember his THICK VOICE in coming to America

Where he screamed “MY SON WORKS “ fear catch me as a little boy that year grin grin grin

Rest in peace sir … one day we shall meet to part no more

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by jerryunit48: 3:09am On Sep 10
Rest in Peace

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by oz4real83(m): 5:00am On Sep 10
King Mufasa we will miss you, may his soul rest in peace embarassed

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by elpochas: 5:23am On Sep 10
Rest on Great one,You really looked like a Calm person.I tap onto ur long life Grace.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by naptu2: 5:39am On Sep 10
A younger James Earl Jones.

The Great White Hope (1970, starring James Earl Jones and Marlene Warfield)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVyvwZ_Yh0g?si=ZG7OenpDVjDFCl-p

5 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by franugo(m): 5:43am On Sep 10
AdamsMosesOma:
Legendary Hollywood actor James Earl Jones, popular for his commanding voice and memorable roles, passed away at the age of 93.

Born in January 1931 in Mississippi, Jones made his mark in Hollywood with notable performances in films like Coming to America, The Greatest, Field of Dreams, and Conan the Barbarian. He gained legendary status for voicing Darth Vader in the Star Wars franchise and Mufasa in Disney’s The Lion King.

His illustrious career was decorated with numerous awards, including an honorary Oscar, Grammy, Emmy, and Tony Award. Jones was also recognized for his television work, winning one of his two Emmys for his role in Gabriel’s Fire and for his portrayal of the elder Alex Haley in Roots: The Next Generation. Additionally, he appeared in early episodes of Sesame Street and lent his voice to The Simpsons... READ STORY: https://www.sleeksmedia.com/veteran-actor-james-earl-jones-passes-away-aged-93/

Rest in perfect peace Darth vader embarassed

2 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by naptu2: 5:54am On Sep 10
The Simpsons tribute to James Earl Jones (they didn't actually use his voice).

This is CNN,' Darth Vader, Mufasa in the clouds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc25oAJrKbM?si=7g7plGsqHgTO160l

1 Like

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by naptu2: 5:56am On Sep 10

4 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Passionnn: 7:16am On Sep 10
King Jaffe Jaffar, ruler of Zamunda

The man who witnessed his own funeral before he died.
Now they shall bury him a second time.
RIP Daddy

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by MackIV(m): 7:19am On Sep 10

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Maxymilliano(m): 7:31am On Sep 10
RIP James Earl Jones ...

"All the great Kings are up there, remember who you are"

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by ThierryJay: 7:39am On Sep 10
The legendary King Jaffe Joffar, ruler of Zamunda is gone.

"I will NOT apologize! The man is beneath me and so is his daughter"

"Oha" - 1 million dollars

"Oha" - Shall we say 2 million dollars

"Oha" - 10 million

Thanks for the great memories and that iconic baritone voice. RIP JEJ.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by naptu2: 7:42am On Sep 10

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Beremx(f): 8:49am On Sep 10
Rest on King of Zamunda, King Mufasa of Lion King. You're a legend.

15 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by letitrainnow(m): 8:58am On Sep 10
Rip cool
Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by jiz: 8:58am On Sep 10
RIP legend

2 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by greypencils: 8:59am On Sep 10
There is no lion king and coming to America without this man. Rest in peace Grandpa

15 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by kestolove95(m): 8:59am On Sep 10
King Jeffery joffar the ruler of zamunda.. Rip

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Pennilessword1: 8:59am On Sep 10
Ah....Mufasa is Gone. May he rest well.

This guy's voice is legendary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Tjra: 8:59am On Sep 10
My fav character of him is King Jeffery Joffer in Coming to America.

RIP Legend.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Adewale1603(m): 9:00am On Sep 10
I thought the man don die in coming to America part 2 installment

2 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by AmazingELixir: 9:00am On Sep 10
lipsrsealed

Great act ...had a fulfilling career.

From those pictures appears he was born black but died a white man.

2 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by tojahh(m): 9:00am On Sep 10
This is king Joffe Jofar, the ruler of Zamunda! He is looking for his son, Akeem, yes Akeem the Prince! grin

Rest well senior man

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Justicemy8(m): 9:01am On Sep 10
he died or he went to rest?? at 93 what else could he have asked for!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Ibehchizzy: 9:03am On Sep 10
Rip legend
Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by hopexter(m): 9:03am On Sep 10
brain54:
Life...

We live to die.

One of my favorite actors. I never forget his lines in one of his movies even though I was very young when I saw it "Let them wait, I am talking to my son." very compelling voice.

Rest in peace man!

Hakim! Hakim!! I forbid you!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by chukwuibuipob: 9:04am On Sep 10
sad good nite legend

8 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by iwaeda: 9:05am On Sep 10
AdamsMosesOma:

https://punchng.com/james-earl-jones-voice-of-mufasa-in-lion-king-dies-at-93/

Coming to America king zamunda, king Musafa of the lion king, rest in power. cry cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: James Earl Jones Dies At 93 by Mitsurugi(m): 9:05am On Sep 10
sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Iyanya's Girlfriend Stuns At Ubi Franklin & Lilian Esoro's Wedding (Photos) / Genevieve Nnaji Listening To 21 By Ayra Starr, Looks Like Teenager In New Photo / Davido Brags About His Very Expensive Shoes (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.