Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,397 members, 7,978,264 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 12:53 AM

Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi (20856 Views)

Mikel Obi Spends Time With His Twin Girls, Ava And Mia / Olga Diyachenko Welcomes Nigeria To Russia With Loved Up Photo With Mikel Obi / Olga Diyachenko, Mikel Obi's Wife Reveals How They Met & Started Dating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by naptu2: 12:46am On Sep 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRJSfSHVImw?si=WCcN8KJ3MAEPPclR

Why Osimhen, Chelsea deal collapsed – Mikel Obi

By Enitan Daramola

Former Super Eagles midfielder John Obi Mikel has revealed why Nigerian striker, Victor Osimhen’s proposed switch from Napoli to Chelsea collapsed on deadline day.

The 25-year-old who was heavily linked to The Blues and other suitors in France, and Saudi Arabia, had a broken relationship with his Italian employers and tendered a transfer request to leave the club a year after helping Napoli end their 33-year wait for a league title 2022-23 season when he was crowned Serie A’s top scorer with 26 goals furious with the Italian side.

Speaking on his Obi One Podcast, Obi admitted that the reigning African Footballer of the Year was ‘very, very close’ to joining Chelsea this summer and revealed why the deal fell through.

The Chelsea icon who had said Osimhen was the final piece of the puzzle at Stamford Bridge denied allegations suggesting that the deal failed to materialise because of his fellow countryman’s greed.

Mikel said: “I hear a lot of people saying this and saying that about Victor and how greedy he is, blah, blah, blah. ‘Take a pay cut and come to Chelsea’ blah, blah, blah, stuff like that.

“I know the kid. I know the boy. I just want to say that that is absolutely not true. Victor is not a greedy boy. He’s not a greedy guy; he only wants to get what he deserves and that’s not a problem.”

During the transfer window, it was reported that Osimhen sought a weekly salary of around £500,000, an extraordinary amount. Although Chelsea was interested in acquiring a striker, they could not meet these demands. Mikel strongly refuted these claims.

No, he wasn’t asking for all this b******t,” Mikel asserted. “I know what happened; I was in the midst of everything. So I can tell everybody that is definitely not true.

“He just wants to play football and get what he deserves and that’s not a problem. A player knowing what he’s worth and demanding to be paid what he’s worth, that’s not a problem.

“Our negotiations were very, very close, but there were just some minor issues and small problems we couldn’t overcome. I know what the club offered him, and we had to reach a compromise. There were some small issues with paperwork, medicals, and other details that prevented us from finalizing the deal.”

Meanwhile, Osimhen has since left Napoli for Turkish Super Lig side Galatasaray, on a season-long loan, after agreeing to a new release clause of £75m with Napoli and a January break-out from Galatasaray should a big club show interest in signing him.

The Nigerian marked his return to competitive football on Saturday with a goal that helped the Super Eagles kickstart their Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers with a 3-0 win over Benin Republic.

I’m really super excited to be part of the Galatasaray family. I can’t wait to give my all for this club and make the most of this new journey with such an amazing group and the fans. I’m ready to create unforgettable memories together,” Osimhen said ahead of his first game for Galatasaray.

https://punchmetro.com/why-osimhen-chelsea-deal-collapsed-mikel-obi/?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Candidlady: 12:47am On Sep 11
sad
Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Starhearts: 5:01am On Sep 11
Mike Obi can lie 4 Africa ..

Liar obi like Peter Obi

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by brain54(m): 6:39am On Sep 11
If he was greedy...

Or about the money. He would have gone to the Saudi club.

By the way I never knew Mikel could talk so much. I now see him as a talkertive.

I always used to see him as a shy and quiet lad while he played at Chelsea.

This is a new side of his that I am seeing.

Maybe he worked on himself though!

53 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Thundafireseun: 7:05am On Sep 11
One prophet already saw that Osimhen did not shine in Chelsea

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Puffadda(m): 7:06am On Sep 11
Ok

I hope he later ends up at Chelsea after the expiration of his loan with Galatasaray cos I know he will never play for Napoli again. But I keep wondering why these football clubs can't finalize deals till the dying minutes, then end up not signing their targets

3 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by oluseyiforjesus(m): 7:07am On Sep 11
I guess dis Mikel want to become osimhen agent

7 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by gasparpisciotta: 7:07am On Sep 11
Osimhen should continue to play good football and bang in more goals, in no time he will have his goal of playing for another top club in Europe maybe Chelsea only God knows

5 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by stano2(m): 7:08am On Sep 11
E no go better for Napoli.
E no go also better for Chelsea that took advantage and belittled him

1 Like

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by CooldipoMPS: 7:08am On Sep 11
Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by EdiskyHarry: 7:08am On Sep 11
cool
Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by kalvoken(m): 7:09am On Sep 11
Does that mean Chelsea will go back in January?

Jackson's juju man strong.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by heykims(m): 7:09am On Sep 11
brain54:
If he was greedy...

By the way I never knew Mikel could talk so much. I now see him as a talkertive.

I don't know why all of una just dey criticise Mike when he talks.
Just to be clear, he's no more an active footballer and he now earns money from talk shows and podcasts. Simply put, Mikel now talks for a living and he's been doing well.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by SmartyPants(m): 7:10am On Sep 11
Why does Mikel feel the need to call him "kid" and "boy"? Such a pretentious idiot

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by kalvoken(m): 7:10am On Sep 11
Jackson will end up killing most Chelsea fans with high BP.

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by kalvoken(m): 7:11am On Sep 11
brain54:
If he was greedy...

So what's your point here?

7 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by slyfox35(m): 7:14am On Sep 11
brain54:
If he was greedy...

He has a podcast now,he’s sort of an analyst

8 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Godsonkemz(m): 7:14am On Sep 11
Oshimen simply joined the Turkish because they offered higher pay

1 Like

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:15am On Sep 11
Na wa o... I read to actually find out why the deal didn't scale through, only for him to say what even someone that wasn't involved in the negotiation will say

Which one is, "minor issues and small problem"... See enthusiasm wey I take dey read sef... Lol

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by TheGift: 7:16am On Sep 11
Puffadda:
Ok

I hope he later ends up at Chelsea after the expiration of his loan with Galatasaray cos I know he will never play for Napoli again. But I keep wondering why these football clubs can't finalize deals till the dying minutes, then end up not signing their targets

It’s likely a negotiation strategy ; to put the other party under pressure to accept a deal that they MAY not have accepted under less pressure

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by makavalley(m): 7:17am On Sep 11
If he was an European decent they won't price him cheap, Chelsea will do everything possible to sign him

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by mohbadliveson: 7:18am On Sep 11
Osimhen should go and beg the elders. Finidi don curse am

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by makavalley(m): 7:19am On Sep 11
How you set of people sit at the comfort of your home to type trash is baffling, honestly.

Starhearts:
Mike Obi can lie 4 Africa ..

Liar obi like Peter Obi

8 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by Antoeni(m): 7:19am On Sep 11
Ok, Now Available

1 Like

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by uvie66: 7:21am On Sep 11
Yampotatocarrot:
Na wa o... I read to actually find out why the deal didn't scale through, only for him to say what even someone that wasn't involved in the negotiation will say

Which one is, "minor issues and small problem"... See enthusiasm wey I take dey read sef... Lol
..... the thing weak me, he said he was involved in the deal and knew why the deal fell through but then gave a very vague reason why it fell through, minor details, medical bla bla bla. At the end he added nothing to what we already know.

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:23am On Sep 11
Those Chelsea fans of his are the village pipu behind his ordeal

2 Likes

Re: Why Osimhen, Chelsea Deal Collapsed – Mikel Obi by MorataFC: 7:26am On Sep 11
Ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sam Allardyce Sacked As England Manager / Manchester United Agree £40 Million Fee For Ajax Midfielder Van De Beek / Ronaldo Nears 700 Career Goals After Scoring Against Luxembourg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.