Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,606 members, 7,975,363 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 11:51 PM

Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? (26604 Views)

My Testimony After My Boss Sacked Me / My Job Is At Risk Because Of Office Romance Involving My Boss / Should The Boss Inform His Staff Of A Potential Sale? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Meerahbel: 10:19am On Sep 12
From DM
Dear Ma

Please your thought on this matter is needed.

I recently secured a job and I am to sign a non- compete form, the business is in line with the business MY WIFE have been doing for some years now although in a different location and in small scale.

Should I inform my boss that, my WIFE lready into the business on a small scale before joining the organization or I should keep mute & sign the non-compete form?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Treasure17(m): 10:30am On Sep 12
You said your wife and not you so I don't think telling your boss about this is necessary and besides the location is different but remember disclosing it might cost you the Job.

113 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Rubyjade: 10:47am On Sep 12
I disagree.

There's something called Risk Management and Conflict of Interest. Both must be properly managed.
If you don't notify them, if at any point you "genuinely" got a contract through your small side business and they find out, the company can validly sue that you used the company's materials or intellectual property to get the contract.

But if it is well documented that you told them ahead and they have no objection, then you "might" escape.

However, a non-compete means you have to cease that side business as long as it is in the same line of business (conflict of interest) as the organisation. Weigh the pros and cons, then decide if you want to keep the side business or you want to take the offer.
Treasure17:
You said your wife and not you so I don't think telling your boss about this is necessary and besides the location is different but remember disclosing it might cost you the Job.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Karleb(m): 11:16am On Sep 12
How would they enforce non-compete in Nigeria?

Abegi! grin

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Treasure17(m): 11:20am On Sep 12
Rubyjade:
I disagree.

There's something called Risk Management and Conflict of Interest. Both must be properly managed.
If you don't notify them, if at any point you "genuinely" got a contract through your small side business and they find out, the company can validly sue that you used the company's materials or intellectual property to get the contract.

But if it is well documented that you told them ahead and they have no objection, then you "might" escape.

However, a non-compete means you have to cease that side business as long as it is in the same line of business (conflict of interest) as the organisation. Weigh the pros and cons, then decide if you want to keep the side business or you want to take the offer.
Valid points but remember he said the business belong to his wife except he's lying though.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by liveyourlife007(m): 12:41pm On Sep 12
My mind tells me your company already knows about your wife's business. In marriage one Plus one equals one. Maybe that's the reason the company is compelling you to sign the agreement.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by HawkTuah: 12:43pm On Sep 12
We dey Nigeria, who wan catch you?

But if noticed say the boss na werey and you yourself no get connection, make you start to confess now.

Make your matter no be like person that spend 10 months in prison for resigning.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Rubyjade: 1:09pm On Sep 12
Treasure17:

Valid points but remember he said the business belong to his wife except he's lying though.
hmmmm
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Rubyjade: 1:10pm On Sep 12
HawkTuah:
We dey Nigeria, who wan catch you?

But if noticed say the boss na werey and you yourself no get connection, make you start to confess now.

Make your matter no be like person that spend 10 months in prison for resigning.

is this fiction or reality?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Rubyjade: 1:10pm On Sep 12
Karleb:

Abegi! grin
Another angle.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by danzaki63: 1:43pm On Sep 12
Is your wife you? is you your wife?

just do the needful, let your conscience judge you, dont give any informations on your jos to your wife, stay there learn a lot on how to improve your wife business, but dont do it at the detriment of you employers.

Keep mute about it.

6 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by YoungLionken(m): 3:18pm On Sep 12
My brother, that form is for formality. Go ahead and sign it. I have seen such before as well as some of my paddies them. Non compete agreement in Nigeria? Lol..

Go ahead, there are no effects cheesy!!!

9 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by ATEAMS: 3:19pm On Sep 12
Just be yourself. Let people see the real imperfect, flawed, quirky, weird, beautiful and magical person you are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by mytime24(f): 3:19pm On Sep 12
dose their rules not permit husband and wife to work in same company?

2 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by SultanOfAbia: 3:19pm On Sep 12
Give him your wife let him knack her
Then he will allow you to do what you want

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by melanch(m): 3:19pm On Sep 12
It's your wife's business. Not yours. You have nothing to worry about.
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Gadafii: 3:20pm On Sep 12
Maybe you should go join your wife business and help her expand to large scale if you are having doubts about signing so e damn forms

2 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Skillsnigeria: 3:20pm On Sep 12
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by SmartyPants(m): 3:21pm On Sep 12
Karleb:

Abegi! grin

How? Through the Courts like anywhere else. Nigerians get away with a lot but the day you mess with the wrong person that is when you will know that these laws work very well.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by idanone(m): 3:21pm On Sep 12
W
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by davodyguy: 3:22pm On Sep 12
Most code of ethics requires full disclosure including if a family member is doing business similar to what you are doing

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Mindlog: 3:22pm On Sep 12
Karleb:

Abegi! grin

It sounds so funny but true. cheesy cheesy
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by davodyguy: 3:24pm On Sep 12
Rubyjade:
I disagree.

If you work for MTN and your wife works for Glo, in same telecomms, you must disclose, so the organization either continue with you or reject you

5 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Tjra: 3:25pm On Sep 12
Like your wife runs a POS shop and you want to work for a Bank.

No issues at all. You are not your wife.
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Arthurnna: 3:26pm On Sep 12
Interesting write up sir... But I do not believe that is what Non compete form is for.. it means that per-adventure you resign or get sacked you have agreed that you won't do that same business type around a 5 mile radius of the business location.. it is in the event of you leaving so that you don't pack all their customers.. my 2 cent though..

Rubyjade:
I disagree.

7 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Sleekfingers: 3:27pm On Sep 12
Meerahbel:
From DM

They will likely not give you the job. Since your wife is also in the business. Meaning you might be passing useful information to her.
And signing the form. You have already boxed yourself in. Meaning you can be sue , in my opinion, look for another job .

1 Like

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Patented: 3:29pm On Sep 12
if it comes to light later and you don't disclose you can be fired especially when you had the opportunity to disclose.
having a conflict or potential conflict of interest should not be an automatic bar to employment in a reasonable organisation.

Meerahbel:
From DM

1 Like

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Starhearts: 3:33pm On Sep 12
Meerahbel:
From DM

Who knack you hammer 🔨 4 head

U re not a man enough ... must u talk like parrot 🦜
Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by RichIgboBoy: 3:38pm On Sep 12
Is it your name you used in registering the business or is that of your wife? If it is your wife’s name you have nothing to worry about. Once you tell your boss, you’ll jeopardize things.

1 Like

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by Bluntemperor: 3:43pm On Sep 12
Treasure17:

đź‘Ťthis is a reasonable suggestions.

1 Like

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by habakukjss3: 3:44pm On Sep 12
Meerahbel:
From DM

If the organization's policy is not against married couple working in the same organization I don't say a reason why you should inform him.
For now, focus on your work and performance

2 Likes

Re: Should I Inform My Boss Or Ignore And Just Sign? by bewisemasses: 3:45pm On Sep 12
Life is all about risks but take only justifiable risks not criminal ones. God give u wisdom

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Airtel Nigeria Ongoing Recruitment [3 Vacant Position] / NBC 2015 Management Trainee Programme / Please Help Me, I'm About To Be Stranded.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.