Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,262 members, 7,977,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 01:15 PM

UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' (28157 Views)

UK Woman Urges Nigerian Wives: Stop Reporting Husbands To UK Police / Inflation: Women, Please Pity Your Husbands. Don't Make Them Commit Suicide / I Have Been Having Sex With Your Husbands: 15-Year-Old Girl Who Slept With 3 Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by 1stGenAmerican(f): 7:26pm On Sep 12
The UK Metropolitan Police have made it clear that they had no part in telling Nigerian women not to call the police on their husbands. The police officer speaking in Yoruba in this video is being investigated—I’m sure he’ll lose his job and possibly receive criminal charges which is good!

Here’s the story:

Met cop telling Nigerian women 'do not call police on your husbands' probed by force 6 years later

A video showing a Metropolitan Police officer allegedly telling a group of Nigerian women not to call police on their husbands but to “manage it", is now being investigated after resurfacing six years later on social media.

The clip filmed inside Divine Restoration International Church in Camberwell in 2018 shows a police staff member addressing a group of mainly women as three officers stand beside, sparking outrage from abuse charities.

In the video, which the Mirror has seen, the officer can be heard speaking in Yoruba - a Nigerian language, as well as English, while he stands at a pulpit talking about knife crime and how sons ‘may not want to listen to their mothers” and instead prefer their fathers.

The footage goes on to show the officer allegedly saying that once Nigerian women arrive in the UK they start behaving “rudely” towards their husbands, adding that they should not call police on their husbands “but manage it.”

Police confirmed to the Mirror that the footage has been referred to the Met's standards unit.
The children’s safeguarding group Afruca, have expressed anger at the remarks in a letter of complaint to the Met detailing how the officer's advice was “telling victims to stay in abusive relationships and not to seek police protection.”

Speaking to the Mirror, Chief Executive of Afruca, Debbie Ariyo who saw the video said: “[The officer said], ‘do not call the police on your husband, but manage it.'

“When I heard it, I was livid. Like what do you mean? So if a man is abusing the woman, and don’t forget, domestic violence is always about physical abuse, emotional even in terms of cultural practices, its a sexual issue - so if a woman is being abused in the home, she shouldn’t call the police because if she does, the man will be removed from the home and the children will spiral and it will be her fault.

“If a woman is being abused, you’re saying that women shouldn’t seek police protection. “That was really bad of them, that's just like minimising these issues in our communities. That Nigerians don’t really matter. Even children are victims in the home when domestic violence is going on.”

The charity chief went on to add that she felt violence against Black women was not being highlighted, as figures from PA News agency from the Metropolitan Police show of the 21 femicide victims recorded by the force in 2022, nine victims (43%) were Black and have higher rates than any other ethnic group.

Debbie said: “We’ve been talking about violence against women but we haven’t talked about violence against Black women. Women in African and Caribbean communities.

“And so to hear a police officer who should understand the UK Domestic Violence Act of 2021, telling women that they shouldn’t call the police on their husbands, whatever the explanation is, it's counterproductive. I felt it was an attack on Nigerian women.

“Coming from a police officer, where we see many police officers being convicted of hurting women, it's the first thing I thought about.”

When approached by the Mirror, Detective Chief Superintendent Seb Adjei-Addoh said that the video had been referred to the professional standards team.

He said: “The incident reported relates to an informal talk by a police member of staff made at a church in Camberwell back in 2018. The comments made by the member of the police staff categorically do not represent the position of the Met in relation to domestic abuse and are wrong. There are no circumstances where it would be appropriate for a victim-survivor of domestic abuse not to report it to the police if they feel able to do so.

“Over recent years, the Met has developed a raft of dedicated investigation teams focused on domestic abuse. Within the boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark, we work in partnership with the local authorities and third-sector charities involved in VAWG to ensure we have strategies to encourage domestic abuse reporting and support victim-survivors of domestic abuse.

“The video has been referred to our professional standards unit to assess and consider what action is to be taken.

“Afruca and other charities like them carry out invaluable work in the domestic abuse space, and I understand the concern this matter has caused.

“Lastly, I am keen to speak with those who have been particularly affected in an attempt to reassure them of our ongoing commitment to tackling this type of crime and protecting those who are at risk.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/met-cop-telling-nigerian-women-33655942

Previous thread https://www.nairaland.com/8211011/uk-police-officer-advises-nigerian

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by atiku4President(m): 7:29pm On Sep 12
UK authority must respond to that garbage that man was selling to innocent women. He directly and indirectly encouraged them to die in silence. He thinks UK is Nigeria where citizens are forced to take rubbish from fellow citizens and even from government.

54 Likes 15 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Malroux: 7:41pm On Sep 12
What's wrong in what the police officer said? Or is it better for Nigerian women in the UK to continue treating their husbands as scraps?

116 Likes 11 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Botragelad: 7:53pm On Sep 12
Malroux:
What's wrong in what the police officer said? Or is it better for Nigerian women in the UK to continue treating their husbands as scraps?
Have you actually read the post? The video is from years ago, and that individual was acting on their own initiative. No sensible police officer would suggest that a woman shouldn't report a matter to them.

If someone is being abusive, you have every right to contact the police, it's their job to sort out whether you're being abusive or not. This isn't Africa, where people seem to get away with everything. Learn to behave yourself and follow the law. You're not above the law.

You chaps need to lose the macho attitude you have back in Africa, where you think you can boss women about as you please and torment them. Well, let me tell you, that sort of rot isn't tolerated in the UK or any decent society.

This is exactly how you lot mistreat women and tell them to deal with the situation until they end up dead.

45 Likes 12 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by 1Sharon(f): 7:58pm On Sep 12
Cc: Nlfpmod Seun 0AM4J Dominique Fergie

We could really do with some fact checking on this forum !

Good job 1stGenAmerican.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:09pm On Sep 12
Botragelad:

Have you actually read the post? The video is from years ago, and that individual was acting on their own initiative. No sensible police officer would suggest that a woman shouldn't report a matter to them.

If someone is being abusive, you have every right to contact the police, it's their job to sort out whether you're being abusive or not. This isn't Africa, where people seem to get away with everything. Learn to behave yourself and follow the law. You're not above the law.

You chaps need to lose the macho attitude you have back in Africa, where you think you can boss women about as you please and torment them. Well, let me tell you, that sort of rot isn't tolerated in the UK or any decent society.

This is exactly how you lot mistreat women and tell them to deal with the situation until they end up dead.
over Sabi u don't even understand what the guy was saying

He's actually talking about home management,nobody is saying they shouldn't report abuse but there are some minor issues that could b managed within the home that are blown out of proportion because the women believe they have an upper hand

In pidgin, no b every case u go call police, some small issues dey wey u suppose manage for house na only issues wey Una no fit resolve for house u suppose call police for

Simple

181 Likes 22 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by cococandy(f): 8:10pm On Sep 12
He went to join the UK police with the Nigerian police mentality of telling women that domestic violence is family matter . Until they die then everyone will start screaming “wHy diDn’t She leAve?” 🙄

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by cococandy(f): 8:12pm On Sep 12
So why were people hyping the video all over the internet in direct attack against women by saying “even the UK police has told Nigerian women to stop calling the police on their men”?

As if to insinuate that they are making up stories about nonexistent abuse and lying to the police?
That’s the impression it gave
Goodnewsforlife:

He's actually talking about home management,nobody is saying they shouldn't report abuse but there are some minor issues that could b managed within the home that are blown out of proportion because the women believe they have an upper hand

In pidgin, no b every case u go call police, some small issues dey wey u suppose manage for house na only issues wey Una no fit resolve for house u suppose call police for

Simple

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Botragelad: 8:14pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:

Simple
I'm not fussed about the rubbish you've written above. What I am concerned about is domestic abuse(or abuse in any form). And let me reiterate: you have every right to contact the police, no matter how small the issue may seem.

Petty incidents can escalate into serious problems, so it's best to involve the authorities before things get out of hand. There's no legal impediment to reporting a concern, after all.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:19pm On Sep 12
cococandy:
So why were people hyping the video all over the internet in direct attack against women by saying even the UK police has told Nigerian women to stop calling the police on their men?

As if to insinuate that they making up stories about nonexistent abuse and lying to the police?
That’s the impression it gave
don't mind all those oversabi misogynist that call themselves feminist

All those fools with misplaced priorities, this man is trying to make people understand the value of family n raising children together than going apart

He made it clear something's are best settled at home cos if it escalates n it leads to divorce it will affect d children more

That botrneck or botreglad that quoted me is just another wannabe woke man, I guess he doesn't have issues with his wife at home cos if we are to go by his logic then couples should call police on each other at every small disagreement so it won't turn big

48 Likes 7 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by cococandy(f): 8:25pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:

All those fools with misplaced priorities, this man is trying to make people understand the value of family n raising children together than going apart

He made it clear something's are best settled at home cos if it escalates n it leads to divorce it will affect d children more

That botrneck or botreglad that quoted me is just another wannabe woke man, I guess he doesn't have issues with his wife at home cos if we are to go by his logic then couples should call police on each other at every small disagreement so it won't turn big

I’m one of the useless feminists.

This man has surely caused harm in those years since this video has been released. Some people might choose to stay in a potentially dangerous domestic environment because they don’t know what might be considered serious or not until it escalates and they eventually lose their lives or suffer irreparable harm.

Even if we give him the benefit of doubt that he meant well and was only telling them not to call police for frivolous matters, that wasn’t his place to do so. If there are excess cases of people misusing police services, The police department should hold press conferences and make official statements when they feel there’s a need to do so.

I’m sure there are licensed marriage/family therapists in the UK. He could have recommended their services if he felt there was a need for something to be addressed within the congregation. Or he could’ve addressed it without his police uniform on.

He gave the impression that this information was sanctioned by his police department. Not only was it not sanctioned, it would be ridiculous of them to only single out the Nigerian immigrant population to tell such things. It never made sense from the beginning and I’m glad to see that I didn’t doubt my critical thinking.

21 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:27pm On Sep 12
cococandy:

I’m one of the useless feminists.

This man has surely caused harm in those years since this video has been released. Some people might choose to stay in a potentially dangerous domestic environment because they don’t know what might be considered serious or not until it escalates and they eventually lose their lives or suffer irreparable harm.

Even if we give him the benefit of doubt that he meant well and was only telling them not call police for frivolous matters, that wasn’t his place to do so. If there are excess cases of people misusing police services, The police department should hold press conferences and make official statements when they feel there’s a need to do so.

And it would be ridiculous of them to only single out the Nigerian immigrant population to tell such things. It never made sense from the beginning and I’m glad to see that I didn’t doubt my critical thinking.
ok

9 Likes

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by 1Sharon(f): 8:27pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:

Simple

The clip was chopped off. In the full video, he actually tells Nigerian women not to call the police. And now the police are dissociating from him because that's not what they represent.

You people love to gatekeep dark family atrocities. Like the recently convicted Dr Femi Olaleye that raped his wife's teenage niece.

Some of you said his wife shouldn't have reported him because " he's her husband " 🤦🏽‍♀️

18 Likes 5 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:31pm On Sep 12
1Sharon:

The clip was chopped off. In the full video, he actually tells Nigerian women not to call the police. And now the police are dissociating from him because that's not what they represent.

You people love to gatekeep dark family atrocities. Like the recently convicted Dr Femi Olaleye that raped his wife's teenage niece.

Some of you said his wife shouldn't have reported him because " he's her husband " 🤦🏽‍♀️
don't b stupid

I don't know a out any Femi case n I have not even heard about it before so how do u use "some of u"

Guy I did t wait for naira land to upload anything, I went to Facebook where I saw the live n direct video of what the man said

I guess many of u don't even understand Yoruba so u really don't get the man's point but just reacting on people's comments on social media

Guy I b Yoruba person, I hear Wetin d man talk n it's same advise any family oriented person will give

If u like ruin your home cos u feel u have an upper hand, na your children go suffer am

Don't quote me cos I won't reply u

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Botragelad: 8:32pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:

Are you bloody kidding me? You're only worried about how divorce affects the kids, but what about the poor woman/man getting battered by their partner?

Call the cops as many times as you need, and if they are being abusive, get a restraining order. Don't downplay the small stuff, it can turn deadly fast. Thousands of women die trying to brush off minor incidents. Report everything, no matter how small. Your life's worth more than that.

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:34pm On Sep 12
Botragelad:

Are you bloody kidding me? You're only worried about how divorce affects the kids, but what about the poor woman/man getting battered by their partner?

Call the cops as many times as you need, and if they are being abusive, get a restraining order. Don't downplay the small stuff, it can turn deadly fast. Thousands of women die trying to brush off minor incidents. Report everything, no matter how small. Your life's worth more than that.

how old are u n are u married?

21 Likes

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by 1Sharon(f): 8:37pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:
don't b stupid

I don't know a out any Femi case n I have not even heard about it before so how do u use "some of u"

Guy I did t wait for naira land to upload anything, I went to Facebook where I saw the live n direct video of what the man said

I guess many of u don't even understand Yoruba so u really don't get the man's point but just reacting on people's comments on social media

Guy I b Yoruba person, I hear Wetin d man talk n it's same advise any family oriented person will give

If u like ruin your home cos u feel u have an upper hand, na your children go suffer am

Don't quote me cos I won't reply u

You don't get it do you? The man is being investigated because the police don't support what he stated. The police don’t stand for such advise.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by nlfpmod: 8:40pm On Sep 12
1Sharon:
Cc: Nlfpmod

We could really do with some fact checking on this forum !

Which one is false information that needs fact-checking?

1 Like

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by SmartPolician: 8:40pm On Sep 12
Has the British Police become totally jobless?
Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by NothingDoMe: 8:40pm On Sep 12
Lol
Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by 1Sharon(f): 8:41pm On Sep 12
nlfpmod:

Which one is false information?

Well, have you read the thread?
Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by concho(m): 8:41pm On Sep 12
All these potential bad wives will now come up with their rants

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by lonelydora: 8:42pm On Sep 12
UK is one place I won't like to live, even if they dash me visa with housing and job.

They complain about almost everything.

I pity men that go to UK without any second plan.

See, any day my wife calls police on me, no matter the issue, I will marry second wife that day.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Flame333: 8:43pm On Sep 12
Somebody is about to go down

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Botragelad: 8:43pm On Sep 12
Goodnewsforlife:
how old are u n are u married?
Who do you think you are that I owe you an answer to such question? The Queen of England? 😂

For the love of all things, don't even think about playing the 'age card' or you'll end up embarrassing yourself. If you're old enough to be married, you should be grown-up enough to know that reporting abuse/issues is a no-brainer, no matter how small it seems.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Bizmind95: 8:44pm On Sep 12
R
Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Tjra: 8:45pm On Sep 12
atiku4President:
UK authority must respond to that garbage that man was selling to innocent women. He directly and indirectly encouraged them to die in silence. He thinks UK is Nigeria where citizens are forced to take rubbish from fellow citizens and even from government.
This guy na correct SIMP.

Spits on his bald head.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by soulmatchersng(f): 8:46pm On Sep 12
Damn
Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by pocohantas(f): 8:47pm On Sep 12
He should come to Nigeria and open NL account to promote his gospel of ENDURANCE.

Anything you can't do to the white fossils y'all marry, don't try it with your Nigerian wife. Even SA wey una enter, una done dey beat those ones too. With una head like chandelier. grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by Goodnewsforlife: 8:47pm On Sep 12
Botragelad:

Who do you think you are that I owe you an answer to such question? The Queen of England? 😂

For the love of all things, don't even think about playing the 'age card' or you'll end up embarrassing yourself. If you're old enough to be married, you should be grown-up enough to know that reporting abuse/issues is a no-brainer, no matter how small it seems.
I asked because it will b a great disservice to me arguing with a 20 year old guy who doesn't even have a girlfriend let alone wife

Don't worry when u get there u will understand better

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by BitterTruth0001: 8:48pm On Sep 12
Good

They want to continue to beat their wives like they do here in Nigeria and get away with it

Gbajue people

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Police Probe Cop Telling Nigerian Women 'Do Not Call Police On Your Husbands' by GloriousGbola: 8:48pm On Sep 12
cococandy:
He went to join the UK police with the Nigerian police mentality of telling women that domestic violence is family matter . Until they die then everyone will start screaming “wHy diDn’t She leAve?” 🙄

it is always amazing that people think they can flee their financial difficulties in their home countries and somehow still import the backward attitudes that are responsible for the situations in their home countries.

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Temitope Amodu Gave Birth To Quadruplets, Stranded At National Hospital (photo) / Who Are The Parents Of 2 Children Found Wandering In Enugu? (Photo) / 7 Advantages Of Marrying A Man Who Can Cook!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.