Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,897 members, 7,973,068 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 07:44 AM

Baseball In Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Baseball In Nigeria (3129 Views)

Nigerian Baseball Park In Ilorin / Joining Baseball Team And Other Sports Teams, A Plus To The Parents Rest / Chics Nto Baseball (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Baseball In Nigeria by Idekeson(m): 3:42pm On Mar 11, 2006
Why don't we teach our kids to play baseball in Nigeria. With the kind of talents that abound in Nigeria, we'll be producing pro-baseball players in a couple of years, just like Latin America is doing. Kids can easily develop their skills playing stick ball in street corners, with minimal equipment required. Baseball players are paid more than football players, and will create an additional source of income outside pro-football.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:11am On Mar 14, 2006
Because baseball is complicated and it requires a specialized pitch. Whereas for football, you only need a football (or rubber ball), some space (grass or no grass) and a pair goal-posts (sometimes just two stones) to practice.

So baseball is too complicated! Or what do you think? Who loves baseball here?
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Dauda(m): 5:00am On Mar 17, 2006
I don't think Nigerians will go crazy about baseball if it is introduced. Some games last for 6 hours and more. Who get time for that kind crap. The freaking thing is boring anyway. I remember some 15 years ago some guys started some soft ball games in Ibadan. I tried it and it was the most boring sport I ever played. Nobody showed up after a few days. End of story. Some sporting events are just not for us.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Badman888(m): 5:19am On Mar 17, 2006
Most Nigeirans dont like baseball at all, i havnt even met a nigerian or an afican who likes baseball, so teachin Nigerians baseball would be a bad idea, american football would make more sense to me.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by comechop(m): 6:43am On Mar 17, 2006
Baseball is not a sport, it is just a social event. B4 i came to America, i cld care less about it; now having learnt some of it, i still think its one of the most boring and least active sports ever. I really dont think Nigerians wld buy into it. You just cant compare baseball and soccer,
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by mustafar1: 7:06am On Mar 17, 2006
i'm somewhat of a baseball fan. this came about due to the lack of enough soccer on tv sometimes. most peoples around me talk baseball so i kinda got drawn to it. i've been to a couple of ball games (GO YANKEES) but then i'll still not trade in my one and only soccer for it. when the likes of ronaldinho, martins, henry, adriano are still round leather kickers why then should i trade them in for A-rod, damon, piazza, jeter or matsui.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 1:52pm On Mar 17, 2006
I think Baseball would catch on. It is a fun game, if you have patience. I personally am a Cub Fan,and i have been to some Ballparks. I played Cricket as a Kid in Nigeria and it was a lot of fun. I am not sure where all that went? Are Kids still playing Cricket @ home.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Idekeson(m): 3:40pm On Mar 17, 2006
I used to think that life without football is hell. But the key to enjoy any sports is to know the rules of the game. If you happen to become a fan of any team or a player, you get the same excitement and heartbreak you get from football. I still rank football as No 1, but football (American), basketball, and baseball gets my adrenalin pumping when my teams are involved (Jets, Knicks and of course the world conquering Yankees).
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Eastcoast(f): 3:57pm On Mar 17, 2006
the first team would be called the lagos green socks.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by dafman(m): 4:42pm On Mar 17, 2006
Baseball looks like a dangerous sport to me, with those bats in the hands of nigerians more harm than good will be done
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by BABAnLA(m): 4:52pm On Mar 17, 2006
I am an avid baseball fan and also play the less complicated softball which is just as fun but doesnt require as much time as baseball. Maybe they could start with softball leagues.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by mustafar1: 6:20pm On Mar 17, 2006
knicks has sucked real bad lately, i'm a baseball fan (GO YANKEES) but i've never been to a YANKEES home game even when i was offered season tickets and all.

lagos green socks

that name kinda sounds hmmm, i dont even know. maibe lagos mariners or lagos islanders
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 7:16pm On Mar 17, 2006
Must

You were Offered season tickets to the Yankees? Wow that must cost a fortune, even if the seats were horrible. Please tell me you sold it. I hate the Yankees with a passion. I hate George the evil doer Stienbrenner and i hate how the team has a $200million plus payroll.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by mustafar1: 7:21pm On Mar 17, 2006
old glory, let me guess, u are a SOX FAN.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Idekeson(m): 8:03pm On Mar 17, 2006
The "Bronx Bombers" are winning it all this year!
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 9:56pm On Mar 17, 2006
Must

I am a Chicago Cub fan. But when the Yankees and the Red Sox play, i become a Boston Fan during the game. But yeah i do not like the "Evil empire"
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by mustafar1: 12:45am On Mar 18, 2006
wont lie to u. i'm kinda the dark horse though cos i sometimes go against them and the past couple of time i did. THEY LOST! 3 years straight i've be on the side of they opponents. think its cos everyone and anyone around me talk about how the yankees gonn win and the whole crap and i'm like watch and see them loose. even taunted someone by threatening to buy a red sox jersey and wear it to work. come hear him say, "AYO u really dont wanna do that" this was two years ago when boston won the world series and came from three down to tie the series and went on to win the championship.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Idekeson(m): 7:27pm On Mar 18, 2006
1 world series every 86 years for the Red Sox. We can deal with that in the spirit of fairness grin grin grin
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Free(f): 4:05pm On Mar 19, 2006
lets go yankees lets GO, cheesy
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by tipsy289(m): 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2006
Nah it wont work, forget Latin America,this is nigeria by the way the sport is dry, i just managed 2 understnd it.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by OldGlory1(m): 3:19am On Mar 20, 2006
Tipsy

Canadians Love Hockey, Americans love American football and Basketball, South American countries love Baseball and Soccer. I think Baseball will catch on in Nigeria. It is really not boring, you just need patience. Millions of People Love Baseball, and the WBC going on now in the US had the whole of Cuba, and Dominican republic glued to their TV's. Americans always tell me how Soccer is boring, but sports is all about rooting for your team,country people, or the underdog. I have played baseball, and i could not believe that how fast those pitches are coming at you.
Re: Baseball In Nigeria by Rolly: 4:07pm On Apr 26, 2006
Baseball for nigerans?!!!!!!! Yo! Dude, what were u thinking?!!!!! shocked

baseball is sooooo not nigerian.

besides who has the time?

please o! lets leave baseball to the yankees and red sox abeg, it is soooo not for us!!!! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Ali Reveals Player Who Inspired Pochettino’s Sack: Totthenham / Egypt 2006 Finals: Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe & Senegal in Group D / Yobo Injured, To Miss Liberia Clash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.