Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,203,966 members, 7,987,452 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 10:58 AM

I Was Hungry - Man Sentenced To 6 Months Imprisonment For Stealing 3 Yam Tubers - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / I Was Hungry - Man Sentenced To 6 Months Imprisonment For Stealing 3 Yam Tubers (12205 Views)

Man Faces Public Humiliation For Stealing 3 Generators (video) / Export Of Yam Tubers Carries Life Sentence In Nigeria / South Africa Returnee Arrested For Stealing 3 Laptops At Gunpoint . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: I Was Hungry - Man Sentenced To 6 Months Imprisonment For Stealing 3 Yam Tubers by Patokegod: 12:05am On Sep 25
Injustice
Re: I Was Hungry - Man Sentenced To 6 Months Imprisonment For Stealing 3 Yam Tubers by Rajosh(m): 4:39am On Sep 25
Timoleon:
Without the option of fine, I would have opined that this was a miscarriage of justice. 6 months in prison for 3 tubers of Yam is too much.
There's option of fine.
#25,000

1 Like

Re: I Was Hungry - Man Sentenced To 6 Months Imprisonment For Stealing 3 Yam Tubers by Babinski: 3:20pm On Sep 25
Vyreell:
So it’s easier to sentence one for stealing 3 tubers of yam because of hunger to those that loot in billions and rip the public off good standard of living…. undecided

A first time offender stealing 3 tubers of yam worth 3,000 Naira and who couldn't even afford a lawyer should at best be given a suspended sentence or community service. Sentencing him to 6 months imprisonment or 25,000 Naira fine may end up not benefiting the community because he is more likely to be imprisoned and learn from hardened criminals in the prison. Did the judge consider that the State will be feeding the man with N 126,000.00 at the rate of N 700 per day for 6 months? And at the end of that period you are more likely to get a newly minted criminal rather than a reformed man?

A man desperate enough to steal 3 tubers of yam is a man with very limited options and on the verge of plunging into crime and sending him to prison is just giving him free schooling and motivation to begin a life of crime. And in all these, the community loses more.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDLEA Seizes 34,950 Tramadol, Diazepam Capsules Going To Borno In Lagos / Edo: Taskforce Arrests Butcher, 10 Others For Cultism / NDLEA Arrests A Bricklayer For Cocaine Smuggling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.