Stats: 3,196,251 members, 7,960,861 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 11:18 AM

Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts (22167 Views)

Goodluck Jonathan: I'm Grateful To Buhari And Amaechi / Legislative Buildings Of Countries Around The World / COVID-19 Dramatizes Nigeria’s Countries-within-a-country Conundrum (2) (3) (4)

Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by soartrends: 8:57pm On Sep 26
Goodluck Jonathan I'm worried for Nigeria, few countries around us are at war, because of bad leaders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cfvaFkTyE

Nigeria’s former president, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has pointed out that the struggle for power remains the major cause of conflicts on the African continent.

He also noted that there is little technology can do to make right the fraudulent Nigerian electoral processes as it could be manipulated by corrupt human minds.

Jonathan gave the remark on Tuesday at a a programme organized by the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR) and partners in commemoration of the International Day of Peace in Abuja. Jonathan was also honoured as a Fellow.

He became the second individual to be so honoured after Gen. Yakubu Gowon (Rtd), Nigeria’s Head of State who oversaw the reintegration of the country after the Civil War, was given the same honour last year.

Speaking at the event, Jonathan said: “Actually, 10 top countries are in conflict globally. Three of them are in sub-Saharan Africa. And quite a number of countries around us, including us, are in one form of conflict or the other.

“And when you look at what causes conflict in Africa, most cases is struggle for leadership, contestation for power. And that is the main cause of conflict.

“Sometimes when you go through a society, and you can tell all kinds of stories. But by the time you do proper analysis, and dig deep, you know that most causes of conflict is leadership struggle. That is why I’m only worried about my country Nigeria.”

The former president, who chaired the programme, noted that the notion that politics is dirty is wrong, stressing that the players are responsible for the dirty state of politics in Nigeria and Africa in general.

He said: “People say politics is a dirty game. The way we play our politics is the way we want to play it.

“Remember (Olusegun) Obasanjo, the former president, recently made a statement that politics is not dirty but the people that play the politics, come to play politics with their dirty minds and dirty hearts. And dirty character.

And that is why people say politics is dirty. And in that case, we must all begin to think differently. We must cultivate the culture of peace,” he added.

He said Nigerians and Africans in general must start developing a culture of peace, noting that peace should be part of their everyday life.

“Until we get to that level where we develop the culture of peace in this country, we will always have political conflicts in our election.

“And without us strengthening that effort, without us developing that culture of testing a nation peacefully, we will always be in conflict in Africa and in Nigeria.”

The former president, who remains the only Nigerian president to hand over to opposition party after he was defeated at the polls, cited the recently conducted governorship election in Edo State, noting that there was more tension after the election than before, due to the feelings that some things were not done rightly.

He noted that technology would not solve the problem in Nigeria’s electoral process, decrying that technology would be manipulated if the human mind is corrupt.

“Here in Nigeria, we talk about technology. Without the human mind ready to do what is right, if we bring the technology, they will manipulate it,” he said.

While delivering his lecture, Dr Samuel Iroye, the Head of Department of Peace and Conflict Studies at the National Open University of Nigeria, said all Nigerians need to play a part in the promotion of the culture of peace in the country.

Iroye, while stating that peace was not an ideology but a practical experience that could be felt called for the engagement of youths in developmental initiatives.

He said to achieve peace, there must be a level playing ground for everyone through education, stressing that the education curriculum in Nigeria doesn’t promote the culture of peace.

“To ensure a culture of peace, we must ensure that we have peace within ourselves”, he said, adding that no one could give what he doesn’t have.

Earlier, the Director General of (IPCR), Dr Joseph Ochogwu, said peace is an orphan, adding that people like to enjoy it but don’t want to invest in it.

While decrying the level of violence across the world, he charged Nigerians to start investing in the development of the culture of peace.

On why President Jonathan was picked for the award, Ochogwu said it was because of his ideology which promote peace above personal considerations, recalling the former President’s statement that nobody’s life is worth sacrificing for any personal political interest.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arise.tv/jonathan-power-struggle-cause-of-african-conflicts-technology-cant-curb-electoral-fraud-in-nigeria/amp/

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Xscape1993(m): 8:59pm On Sep 26
An agbero and certificate forger has nothing to offer Nigerians sir. The drug baron does not know anything about good governance. Don't just bother yourself sir. You are a good man sir.

144 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by thisisit: 9:04pm On Sep 26
THE SIGNS AND SMELL OF WAR IS ALREADY EVERYWHERE.

JUST RECENTLY, THERE WAS A MILITARY COUP .. BUT FOILED IN OUT BACKYARD (BENIN REPUBLIC)

BAD GOVERNANCE IS THE ONE AND ONLY CAUSES OF WAR

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Softmirror: 9:10pm On Sep 26
thisisit:

JUST RECENTLY, THERE WAS A MILITARY COUP .. BUT FOILED IN OUT BACKYARD (BENIN REPUBLIC)

I am more worried about America. Imagine Trump surviving 2 assassination attempt. undecided

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by SmartPolician: 9:11pm On Sep 26
thisisit:

There are no signs of war anywhere in Nigeria. In a worst-case scenario, Nigeria will have a rebellious regime change, but that's not the same as a war. Nigeria is so disunited to have a violent regime change.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Aboks(m): 9:36pm On Sep 26
Wetin concern us

We are at war with hungry in naija

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by CodeTemplarr: 11:05pm On Sep 26
thisisit:

Injustice, either in social or sovereign form.

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by OkCornel(m): 2:31am On Sep 27
Dear Jagaban lovers,

What is the progress update on Tinubu’s eight point agenda he promised Nigerians in 2023? This is over one year now. How far?

1. food security;
2. poverty eradication;
3. growth,
4. job creation;
5. access to capital;
6. inclusion;
7. rule of law; and
8. fighting corruption

https://punchng.com/translating-tinubus-8-point-agenda-to-recovery/?amp

What about the 50 million jobs promised between 2023 to 2026? How many has Tinubu and his government created?

https://www.nairaland.com/7821154/tinubu-sets-3-year-economic-revival

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by nony43(m): 10:35am On Sep 27
Tinubu can not give such speech, all that concerns him is his Party, how to tax Nigerians, how to siphon Lagos revenue, how to recruit riff rafts for hate speech and bigotry.

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:35am On Sep 27
Okay
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Matheusmartin: 10:36am On Sep 27
The idea that I may end up living all my life in nigeria terrifies me cry

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by shortgun(m): 10:36am On Sep 27
Under Goodluck Jonathan's administration, Nigerians experienced genuine progress and development until a certain drug peddling miscreant packaged a fraud with the support of brainless numkskulls that plunged the country into chaos from which it has yet to recover. The country is still suffering from the evils of the charlatan to this day

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Amigoss: 10:36am On Sep 27
Come on get away you,you had the chance to change the fortune of Bayelsa and Nigeria...

Your cluelessness and ineptitude brought APC and the shege we are witnessing today...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by AOB1: 10:36am On Sep 27
Okay
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by OkCornel(m): 10:37am On Sep 27
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Obakoolex(m): 10:37am On Sep 27
If Nigerian leadership hasn't depreciated from Yar'dua to this current regime, no one would have reason to fear.....

33 Likes

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by zilon12(m): 10:37am On Sep 27
Fool
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by fasho01(m): 10:38am On Sep 27
Our problem as a continent is bad leadership and lack of visionaries.

Asin in the whole of Africa, no leader stands out. All of them are greedy, self serving, power mongering kleptomaniacs ready to do the bidding of our slave masters just to remain in power.

It's really sad and I honestly don't see any light at the end of this long tunnel.

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by faithfull18(f): 10:39am On Sep 27
Goodluck...
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by COMPAQ(m): 10:39am On Sep 27
soartrends:
Goodluck Jonathan I'm worried for Nigeria, few countries around us are at war, because of bad leaders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cfvaFkTyE

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.arise.tv/jonathan-power-struggle-cause-of-african-conflicts-technology-cant-curb-electoral-fraud-in-nigeria/amp/

I find it really disgusting when past presidents who had so much executive power, the end of their tenors start talking solutions to problems they could have fixed while they were in office

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by id4sho(m): 10:41am On Sep 27
Tulumbu is a bad leader tongue

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by nairalee(m): 10:42am On Sep 27
If someone explains the situation of Nigeria to you and you understand, the person did not explain well.

Gone are the days when I used to have hope in Nigeria.

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by dododawa1: 10:42am On Sep 27
This man should cover his mouth

5 sins he commuted

1 Stealing is not corruption

2 Nigeria economy started grumbling under him

3 Releasing power to the DULLARD

4 Not MAN enough to removed subsidy

5 Working for buhari govt as errand boy.

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Babs2nde: 10:43am On Sep 27
Read

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Ofunaofu: 10:44am On Sep 27
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by dododawa1: 10:45am On Sep 27

5 sins he committed

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Kingpele(m): 10:45am On Sep 27
grin grin grin .. our leaders suddenly became motivation speakers especially after leaving power ...if buharia performed better than GEJ ..he won't be talking like a saint now...as tinubu is making sure to surpass buharia in clueless policies and corruption...don't be surprise is buharia come out in future to lecture us on good governance...Nigeria politicians are the worst set of politicians in the world right now
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Thundafireseun: 10:46am On Sep 27
dododawa1:

5 sins he committed

Don't worry you will cry more tears… you haven’t seen anything yet…

Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by ecomalchemistt(m): 10:47am On Sep 27
Okay
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by GiftedHands247(m): 10:48am On Sep 27
Interesting
Re: Jonathan: I'm Worried For Nigeria, Countries Around Us Are In Conflicts by Lanretoye(m): 10:48am On Sep 27
Xscape1993:
An agbero and certificate forger has nothing to offer Nigerians sir. The drug baron does not know anything about good governance. Don't just bother yourself sir. You are a good man sir.
can I guess you were born in 1993?

Wike Thinks About Me All The Time Even In His Toilet - Amaechi / N-Power Fraud: Top Officials In Buhari Government Infused 70,000 Ghost Names / Death Threats Won’t Deter Me - REC, Olusegun Agbaje Warns Politicians

Viewing this topic: captainspear(m), Halo22 and 5 guest(s)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 3