Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,218 members, 7,963,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 03:26 AM

A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke (35334 Views)

Nigerian Man Flaunts The Lucrative Job That He Does In Brazil (pics/video) / What Profession Was Once Respected , But Not Anymore / Can You Take A Job That Pays Less Than N50,000 As A BSc Holder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by FameGlory(m): 1:13pm On Sep 28
During the mud house era when Nigerians were still living in the villages, I would say Headmaster

1 Like

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by nigmarelli(m): 1:22pm On Sep 28
Nigerian politics.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by abba190: 1:22pm On Sep 28
Ayobeck:
I want to bcom a doctor e don bcom yeye profession,yahoo, crypto n betting don overtake dem.dey ur house with ur phone or laptop u go dey make steady money depending on what u want to use it for
grin grin grin u be investor
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by FireUpNow(m): 1:26pm On Sep 28
Zonefree:
Prostitution.
.Ashawo nor be work but for Italy e be work.

1 Like

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Chucks13: 1:40pm On Sep 28
Agwadi:
APC members

LP + Obidient.

1 Like

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by HenryWilliams(m): 1:42pm On Sep 28
Police was a very respectable profession.
It accorded one with immediate respect and fear..
That was in the 60s and 70s..
They started losing their respect in the mid 80s when they started colluding with armed robbers and drug pushers ..after that it became s steep slippery slope downwards .
Now they're scorned, derided, insulted and hated across the country.

3 Likes

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by AllBlack: 1:45pm On Sep 28
Nelsondiego69:
Barbers

this one is still in primary school. small pikin brain.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Engineer123(m): 2:07pm On Sep 28
Natbrowny:
Military men

βž• The way they are been killed is one thing.
βž• The condition of living in the barracks is an eye sore..
Housing condition is bad esp for low to medium level positions
I'm a military personnel. All you listed are true. In fact, the salary is poor compared to the risk we are taking on a daily basis.

3 Likes

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Bahamas95(m): 2:14pm On Sep 28
Urgent1Million:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
You are so wrong.
Teaching use to be a joke but now it's a big deal.
I have friends who are teachers and they earn around 700k to 800k a month form their main jobs.
They also do private lessons where they charge between 10k - 20k per hour.
All my friends who are teachers are driving good cars and living very comfortably.
I can swear with my left blΓ²kΓ²s that this comment was made under the influence of alcohol.

3 Likes

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Cutehector(m): 2:17pm On Sep 28
santaclaws:

Dey play... Doctor wey government dey beg make dem no leave... You know how much they earn both home and away? πŸ˜„
i've said what i have said..

Why doctors dey strike anyhow? Dey play.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by DarkJeddi(m): 2:19pm On Sep 28
IrepChrist:
I wasn't suprised to see someone mentioned pastoring.No matter what you see out there, it still remains a reverend profession with honour, grace and glory.
You go around tearing families apart with your fake prophecies..
You go about swindling sheep of their hard earned money..
You go about performing fake miracles and you expect the society to take you serious?
By your fruits you are judged.

2 Likes

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by santaclaws: 2:20pm On Sep 28
Cutehector:
i've said what i have said..

Why doctors dey strike anyhow? Dey play.

All government workers are free to strike if their needs aren't being met, so that's not a point.

Doctors are respected more than ANY other professionals in the world, that includes Nigeria, take it or leave it.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by achimendy(m): 2:26pm On Sep 28
Natbrowny:
Military men

βž• The way they are been killed is one thing.
βž• The condition of living in the barracks is an eye sore..
Housing condition is bad esp for low to medium level positions

Very correct on this oneπŸ‘πŸ‘
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by WizardRahl: 2:28pm On Sep 28
Doctor
Lawyer
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by cybriz82(m): 2:30pm On Sep 28
ravensckar:
Police Officer.

That job used to be a well respected one until their penchant for bribery and corruption made them lose my respect.

I was speaking to a friend some weeks back and he proudly announced to me that he's now a SUPOL. After the call, I had to put his number on blacklist. I don't want anything to do with a Police Officer biko! Those guys are worse than the devil.

Wetin this one dey talk? You dn reach 100yrs Police n bribery na like sister n brother n they came to this world together since 1760...

1 Like

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Bukola94(m): 2:52pm On Sep 28
ravensckar:
Police Officer.

That job used to be a well respected one until their penchant for bribery and corruption made them lose my respect.

I was speaking to a friend some weeks back and he proudly announced to me that he's now a SUPOL. After the call, I had to put his number on blacklist. I don't want anything to do with a Police Officer biko! Those guys are worse than the devil.
They are one of the most responsible people I have met. I have friends in the army, airforce, immigration,NSCDC. Why putting is no. On blacklist? You may need is help one day, he is a civilian 1st before becoming a policeman, he is human & got family too
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Franzinni: 3:08pm On Sep 28
Recharge card seller
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by ravensckar(m): 3:11pm On Sep 28
Bukola94:
They are one of the most responsible people I have met. I have friends in the army, airforce, immigration,NSCDC. Why putting is no. On blacklist? You may need is help one day, he is a civilian 1st before becoming a policeman, he is human & got family too
Well different strokes for different folks. cheesy cheesy

In my own experience, Naija Policemen are among the worst people that I've ever encountered in life. I hate anything Nigerian Police!

They tell lies shamelessly, they twist facts, they fabricate evidence to victimize innocent people and never miss the opportunity to intimidate anyone whom they think is weak. Most annoyingly, they worship money more than anything. They are just too horrible for my liking!

Anytime I see a Naija Police man, my stomach churns with hatred. I repeat, I can never ever befriend a Police man.

*Spits*

2 Likes

Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Love800(m): 3:17pm On Sep 28
Can you state the process one can make a big deal out of teaching?
Urgent1Million:

And you should stop using the situation of the "average teacher" to judge the success or otherwise of a profession.
Most of those you call "average teachers" are not even teachers.
They just take up a teaching job because they can't find something at the moment.
A professional teacher who knows their onions and have the relevant certifications is a big deal in the present world.
Know this and know peace!
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Love800(m): 3:20pm On Sep 28
I hope you know that everyone is not science related?
epainos:
This is why it is critical to keep up with current trends and learn any disruptive technological skills. The recent ones are:
1. Artificial Intelligence
2. Robotic
3. Data Science and Data Analysis
4. Genetics - engineering/science, and related (application in health/nutrition, and agriculture.
5. Renewable Energy
6. Sustainability and Regenerative Agriculture (ecology, microbiology, biology, environmental science). Related to renewable energy.

There are more....
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Love800(m): 3:23pm On Sep 28
If you use rechargeable clipper, how will you barb at night. Would you need light to see what you are barbing and atleast to lighten the whole place to look attractive?
bamac:
They use rechargeable clipper and all these sunking, duravolt solar rechargeable light and fans, petrol is not needed.

I know the barbers I recommended and ordered those stuffs for who are thanking me now.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Uchman001: 3:30pm On Sep 28
EFCC
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Blazetrailer: 3:31pm On Sep 28
...actually, you are the foolish one if you think being a medical doctor is now a doengrade.

Ayobeck:

You are mad,read and understand what the writer means..oponu foolish boy,man,guy or foolish girl,lady,woman.dont know ur gender idiot
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by babajero(m): 3:42pm On Sep 28
BuharisBoy:
A job that was once highly respected
but is now a complete joke
🀣🀨
political positions in Nigeria.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Bukola94(m): 3:59pm On Sep 28
ravensckar:
Well different strokes for different folks. cheesy cheesy

In my own experience, Naija Policemen are among the worst people that I've ever encountered in life. I hate anything Nigerian Police!

They tell lies shamelessly, they twist facts, they fabricate evidence to victimize innocent people and never miss the opportunity to intimidate anyone whom they think is weak. Most annoyingly, they worship money more than anything. They are just too horrible for my liking!

Anytime I see a Naija Police man, my stomach churns with hatred. I repeat, I can never ever befriend a Police man.

*Spits*
Personality of individuals. The last election I went for, I really like the professionalism of immigration officers I met. They cooked meal for us & the other NSCDC officers. The election was so peaceful
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Emmanuelcann: 4:05pm On Sep 28
Governor, Senator, Minister, Judge, president!
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Konquest: 4:08pm On Sep 28
Kiddo01:
To operate gestetner impression machine, found in printing press
Overtaken by modern technologies.
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by sacajawea(m): 4:09pm On Sep 28
Dialpad:
Cyber Cafe model
What is a Cyber cafe Model?
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by sacajawea(m): 4:13pm On Sep 28
Seefinish:
In those days before independence, these were the jobs highly respected. Their presence alone in the community could sparked fear and apprehension and respect
1. Teacher
2. Court messenger
3. Police
4. Judge
5. Sanitary officer
6. Tax collector
7. Rev Father
8. Lawyer
Okay. You were alive before independence?
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by Honestey: 4:24pm On Sep 28
Civil service
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by osazsky(m): 4:25pm On Sep 28
Electorates
Obidients
Being an asenal fan
Man u fan too
Re: A Job That Was Once Highly Respected But Is Now A Complete Joke by epainos: 4:33pm On Sep 28
Love800:
I hope you know that everyone is not science related?
Could you clearly state non-science trends? Lol. You don't know...right?

Guy, if you want to make it today, maybe for the next 50 years, you should focus on the areas I have listed. Perhaps you want to study accounting or law and become successful. Go ask lawyers and accountants how far. Or maybe theatre art or whatever is what you want to go into. Yes, you can make it, but you will face hell. Only less than 1% artists make it to Hollywood. Even Nollyhood here...go ask them how far. Lol.

If you want to make it, you should study science. Even though it is not core science, there is a data component (maths) as well as an analytical component (data, logic, probability, and combination with permutation). Analytics encompasses predictions, trading, and even gambling. Gambling is actually a skill, but many people enter it blindly. Perhaps you should read about Nate Silver, who correctly predicts the majority of US elections. He also makes accurate predictions in football. He used to be a consultant for one of the big four, but he quit. Today, he gambles and wins big. Gambling is more than just throwing money away...it requires an analytical mind that can make accurate predictions based on mathematical and logical expressions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

GLO Sack Letter Based On Marital Status (Photo) / Tax Professionals Forum / All Teachers To Write Professional Exams In October – TRCN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.