Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,411 members, 7,978,297 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 04:16 AM

1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka (34946 Views)

ASUU Strike: UNICAL Orders Students Out Of Hostels / Throwback Photo Of ABU Zaria 8 Months Before Its Commissioning In 1962 / Poor Condition Of Hostels Of University Of Nigeria, UNN, Enugu Campus (Graphic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Racoon(m): 1:31pm On Oct 17
The University of Nigeria at Nsukka was founded by Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe in 1955. At the time this photo was taken, it was known as the University of Nigeria.

Are you aware that the University had two names from it’s opening till 1970? Started as the University of Nigeria (1960–1967) then it changed to the University of Biafra (6 July 1967 – 15 January 1970) just before the Biafra war started. It reverted to its former name when hostilities ended in January 1970.

The white lodge below seems to be a very important edifice. However, it's location within the university is not named or known. Hopefully someone here would know this place on campus. Looks like a house for a senior lecturer.

Photos: Maarten van Dis
January of 1962.
Credits; Facebook.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Racoon(m): 1:33pm On Oct 17
The hostel buildings looks like any of Awolowo Hall, Aja Nwachukwu Halls, Eyo lta/Bello Halls, Isa Kaita/Okeke Halls and finally Balewa/ Okpara Halls.They were all built with the same pattern inside Nsukka campus of UNN. Meanwhile, the white building seems to be the VC Lodge.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by EmperorCaesar(m): 1:36pm On Oct 17
cheesy

One of the only two and a half Unis in the SE. The other being Unizik, while the half Uni is Futo

I hear say na dem colonial masters build am

Going through NUC and world ranking lately and this school isnt even among the top 15 in Nigeria...its not even been there since maybe 1999 sef

8 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Racoon(m): 1:52pm On Oct 17
EmperorCaesar:
One of the only two and a half Unis in the SE. The other being Unizik, while the half Uni is FUTO. I hear say na dem colonial masters build am

Going through NUC and world ranking lately and this school isnt even among the top 15 in Nigeria...its not even been there since maybe 1999 sef
Even UI was also established and built under the same colonial administration. These are the same SE universities or tertiary institutions that have produced the best the region have given Nigeria and the world. So don't always come to the Internet to spew thrash because of stark stupidity or ignorance. Goggle is always handy sir

81 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by shortgun(m): 3:22pm On Oct 17
A third class graduate from this university is academically stronger than first class graduates of some universities in Nigeria.
Quote me senselessly, I'll start mentioning names
πŸ˜•

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by crestedaguiyi: 3:27pm On Oct 17
shortgun:
A third class graduate from this university is academically stronger than first class graduates of some universities in Nigeria.
πŸ˜•

Violence can not be your calling.

i rebuke that demon

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by christejames(m): 3:32pm On Oct 17
The both buildings are female hostels still standing till date but can't mention the first one because they are so many of those buildings with the same pattern in the school whereas the second one is Mary Slessors Hall for girls...

UNN the first indeginous University in Nigeria and oldest in the country established in 1955 but started academic activities in October, 1960 just to mark the nation's independence.

Note: by 1961 UI was still an appendage of University of London managed by the colonialists, more like an external study center for University of London.

Correction: the second one is the senior staff building.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by christejames(m): 3:34pm On Oct 17
EmperorCaesar:
cheesy

One of the only two and a half Unis in the SE. The other being Unizik, while the half Uni is Futo

Ewu undecided, UNN is the only university then built by a local... That's why it's University of Nigeria for a reason. shocked

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Enouche(m): 4:36pm On Oct 17
Awesome
Meanwhile at a cheap price dm me for your logo and flyer design
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Racoon(m): 4:37pm On Oct 17
christejames:
Ewu! UNN is the only university then built by a local. That's why it's University of Nigeria for a reason....
You dey mind the deluded fella. He has never gone out of his comfort zone hence blabbing rubbish.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Obinnau(m): 4:37pm On Oct 17
All I can see is mismanagement and lack of maintenance. picture of 1962 looking better than current situation. Oh I forgot that they are waiting for the government to come and maintain it for them.

6 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by qtx(m): 4:38pm On Oct 17
shortgun:
πŸ˜•
Stop this vawulence, isn't third class a degree? how about those who didn't go at all and are ruling over professors, first class and others and over you sef?
Too much emphasis on papers, haba!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by GanagiBitrus: 4:38pm On Oct 17
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Basic123: 4:39pm On Oct 17
christejames:
The both buildings are female hostels still standing till date but can't mention the first one because they are so many of those buildings with the same pattern in the school whereas the second one is Mary Slessors Hall for girls...

UNN the first indeginous University in Nigeria and oldest in the country established in 1955 but started academic activities in October, 1960 just to mark the nation's independence.

Note: by 1961 UI was still an appendage of University of London managed by the colonialists, more like an external study center for University of London.
Indigenous πŸ˜†

When they want to console themselves,they will just introduce INDEGINOUS BLA BLA

15 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by nairalanda1(m): 4:40pm On Oct 17
Obinnau:
All I can see is mismanagement and lack of maintenance. picture of 1962 looking better than current situation. Oh I forgot that they are waiting for the government to come and maintain it for them.

All your universities in Nigeria look bad because if we want them to look good....raise the fees.

You cannot expect Ferrari at cost of bicycle

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by RealGandalf: 4:40pm On Oct 17
Wow! These 1962 pictures of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka's hostels and staff quarters are a fascinating glimpse into its history. For more stories on education and development in Nigeria, visit The Bureau Newspaper πŸ‘ˆπŸ‘ˆπŸ‘ˆ
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by GboyegaD(m): 4:41pm On Oct 17
They are all prototype buildings. Most institutions (secondary and tertiary) built around that time frame have similar structures.

6 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by tiwasiaife(m): 4:41pm On Oct 17
christejames:

Mary slessor hall is not there
That building is okeke hall close to 11:45 and the other is VC building

5 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Godwin4444: 4:42pm On Oct 17
shortgun:
πŸ˜•
na this mouth b Una greatest undoing

Always bragging over nothing, if we ask for proof now na story go full ground

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by jaxxy(m): 4:42pm On Oct 17
EmperorCaesar:
cheesy

Bigotry won't help u or Nigeria.
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Fapemz: 4:42pm On Oct 17
cool
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Michael547(m): 4:42pm On Oct 17
Nice
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Amigoss: 4:42pm On Oct 17
Toh
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by christejames(m): 4:43pm On Oct 17
tiwasiaife:

Mary slessor hall is not there
That building is okeke hall close to 11:45 and the other is VC building

Oops, you are right...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by osuofia2(m): 4:43pm On Oct 17
Good old days.. if only the Brit (colonial masters) didn't leave that early. Nigeria would have been better off than now

6 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Omoawoke: 4:43pm On Oct 17
No feminism
No terrorism
No banditry
No japa gang

osuofia2:
Good old days.. if only the White didnt leave that early

When I hear people say this statement, I always feel the have a severe case of mental health problems.

Why would someone be comfortable being a slave and want to be slave?

The white peoples that came to enslave you, colonize you, loot your resources and destroyed your identity are the root cause of your problems in Africa

Why do you suffer a severe case of inferiority complex, you don’t have the mental capacity to build your own?

4 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Mindlog: 4:43pm On Oct 17
shortgun:
πŸ˜•

Just as some would say that a third class graduate from a Nigerian public university is stronger than a first class graduate from Covenant University, use that "strongness" get international postgraduate scholarship, make we see.

5 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by SEGLIZ: 4:44pm On Oct 17
when Nigeria was Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Bwilliam(m): 4:44pm On Oct 17
shortgun:
πŸ˜•

This one you're talking like this, be like you graduated with "Pharaoh, let my people go - lower division"

5 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Runaway: 4:44pm On Oct 17
Those who enjoyed this are the ones suffering us today......

5 Likes

Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Johnson225(m): 4:45pm On Oct 17
smiley
Re: 1962 Pictures Of Hostels/Staff Quarters in The University Of Nigeria, Nsukka by Fatbam005: 4:45pm On Oct 17
T pain will not be happy to see this

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is University Of Ibadan Any Better Than Covenant University? / 5 Type Of Food That Nigerian Student Eat More / How Universities Will Conduct Admission This Year

Viewing this topic: tobymor81, EROMS38(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.