Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,120 members, 7,943,049 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 12:14 AM

Lagosians Plan A 10,000 Man March Against Fashola's Toll Plan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Plan A 10,000 Man March Against Fashola's Toll Plan (947 Views)

Ijaw Youth Council Plans One-million-man March Against Buhari / Police Stop Million Man March For Buhari In Kano / Breaking : Buhari Opts Out Of Apc's 1 Million Man March (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lagosians Plan A 10,000 Man March Against Fashola's Toll Plan by aloyemeka1: 1:42am On Dec 16, 2011
[size=14pt]Tension as Lagos govt insists on toll collection[/size]
on DECEMBER 16, 2011 · in SPECIAL REPORT

BY INNOCENT ANABA, DAPO AKINREFON & GBENGA OKE

With just two days to the planned commencement of tolls collection at Admiralty Circle plaza on the ever-busy Lekki –Eti-Osa Expressway, palpable anxiety is already being generated in the area as residents of Eti-Osa, Epe and Ibeju-Lekki have vowed to resist the move.

Messrs Lekki Concession Company Limited LCC, the concessionaire handling the expansion of the 49 kilometre road, had early this month, announced December 18, as the new date for the commencement of tolls collection on the road. The company hinged its decision to begin tolls collection on the first toll plaza on its provision of alternative routes to motorists who may not be favourably disposed to the payment of toll.
Residents kick, plan 10,000 man march

The Lekki-Epe Toll gate
Already, community leaders from Lekki are threatening to mobilise over 10,000 aggrieved protesters in 73 estates in Lekki, Etiosa and Ibeju lekki to block the road should the LCC go ahead with the plan.

At a press briefing at the Ikota Shopping Complex, representatives of the Residents’ Association called on the LCC and the Lagos State Governor not to create what they called “uncontrollable chaos” in Lagos with the planned tolling against the wishes of the people.
Speaking at the event, the Acting Chairman of the Lekki-Eti-osa-Epe Residents Association, Mr. Abioye Akerele, said: “We are peace loving people and the government should not take our posture for granted. This road that they want to toll, has been existing for over twenty years and if LCC came to add an additional lane, they cannot insist on tolling the already existing lanes.

It is unacceptable that those of us who are from here will have to pay money to enter our ancestral homes. It is totally unacceptable. There are over 73 villages along this axis made up of peasant people; how does government expect them to cope with the attendant rise in cost of living that will arise from the tolling?”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/12/tension-as-lagos-govt-insists-on-toll-collection/
Re: Lagosians Plan A 10,000 Man March Against Fashola's Toll Plan by aloyemeka1: 2:06am On Dec 16, 2011
[size=14pt]I will lead protest against Lekki-Epe tollgate -Bode George[/size]
Written by Lasisi Olagunju, General Editor, and Sulaimon Olanrewaju, Deputy Editor
Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chief Olabode George, former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), did not hide his angst against the plan by the Lagos State government to bill motorists that travel on Lekki-Epe Road, saying it would be a rip off without the provision of an alternative route. He also spoke on his Abacha days, his trial and conviction for contract splitting as well as the fate of the PDP in Lagos and the South-West. Lasisi Olagunju, General Editor, and Sulaimon Olanrewaju, Deputy Editor, bring the excerpts.

[img]http://odili.net/news/source/2011/dec/15/tribune/images/bode-george-250[1].jpg[/img]
Chief Bode George

advertisement

YOU were at the Aso Rock Villa during thetime of General Sani Abacha, you workedwith General Oladipo Diya. How was it?

It was a most trying period because when we started, there were some misgivings after the annulled election of June 12, 1993. I remember that young officers were fed up; they wanted to pull out and go to the barracks and let civil authorities be in charge. The military was divided. I remember when they were going to appoint administrators, General Abacha asked us, the senior military officers, whether we wanted civilians to be the administrators or we wanted military officers. The debate went back and forth; eventually we said if we were taking full responsibilities for our actions, it had to be military officers. So, it was decided that military officers would be the administrators while civilians would be their deputies.

The next issue was that of MKO Abiola. He was hiding somewhere and suddenly, he went to Epetedo area where he declared himself president. Many of us didn't like that. I remember that we were at another meeting at the villa where a decision was to be taken on whether we should arrest Abiola. I can never forget that meeting. The head of state was the chairman and I was the secretary of the meeting. All the senior officers were at the meeting. Some said he should be arrested because he had committed a crime, while others said he had not committed any crime. I think it was a trying period in the military and I pray to God Almighty that the military will not venture into governance any more in this country. The camaraderie that we enjoyed, the oneness, the trust, the brother's keeper concept was destroyed. I will also plead with the civilians to be careful so that they don't give any excuse to the military authorities to say they want to have a taste of government again.

At that meeting, I told the head of state that if Abiola was arrested, some people would think that he was being punished unnecessarily. I told them that there was no way anyone who declared himself president at Epetedo could be guilty of treason because there was no way he could have seized power from Epetedo. I said since we were planning a constitutional conference, he should be left as a freeman so that he could also participate in the conference.

Less than a week after that meeting, I was out of service.

That means you were also a victim of the June 12 struggle?

In a way, yes. But as military officers, we didn't get concerned about what the civilians were doing, what we wanted was to save the name of our service and organisation. We wanted to save it from the vagaries of the political manipulation.

You travelled out of the country shortly after your retirement?

Yes, I thought discretion was the better part of valour. The situation was not quite what I expected it to be, so I went on self exile, I needed to cool off. When the heat started coming, I didn't like it and I knew worse things were going to happen, that is why I had to leave.

What informed your return to the country, when you did?

I was in London when I got a message that General Sani Abacha had died. It came like a thunderbolt. Not long after that, Baba (Obasanjo) was released from prison; he then visited London. Stella, his late wife, was the one I knew very well, we grew up together. When they got to London, Stella called me and I went to see them. We went out to dinner. When I was a Staff Officer in the Villa, Baba used to come and I was the one handling his visits when he wanted to see either General Abacha or General Diya. So, Baba also knew me. So, when we met, he was asking me why I left the country and I told him I had to take cover. We chatted and later parted.

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/dec/15/604.html
Re: Lagosians Plan A 10,000 Man March Against Fashola's Toll Plan by aloyemeka1: 12:16pm On Dec 16, 2011
Eko Ile may go on shooting rampage o.

(1) (Reply)

Biggest Scandal In Oil “subsidy Removal” Fraud. / Boko Haram Strike In Kano Again / A Prominent Doctor Kidnapped In Owerri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.