Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,245 members, 7,880,913 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:03 AM

Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? (15029 Views)

These Are The Biggest Password Mistakes You Can’t Afford To Make / I Nid A Nigeria Non Hosted Google Adsense Account Any Up For Sale / What App/Software Will You Love To Have But Can't Afford? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Andrew3(m): 9:31am On Dec 28, 2011
I have just fixed a major bug in the new blackberry OS7, the battery consumption and freezing issue wink wink
More money for me in 2012, update is been uploaded on server.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by abbyode(m): 7:46pm On Dec 28, 2011
U need to be an enterpreneur not only a programmer.Think of what value you can add to 1Million nigerians that they will be willing to offer you just 1 naira per day. You'll be making 1Million naira per day which translates to N30 Million Naira monthly. I just revealed the secret of making money to you now. So start thinking of a 1 naira value you can add to your audience and RR sport wont be an issue for you.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by mruwaifo(m): 7:03pm On Jan 02, 2012
I'm a programmer/web developer/entrepreneur . In answering your question , yes you can afford a range sports , just like my co-developers do here in abuja .First of let me clearly state that the objective of programming is not to drive range rover . As a true programmer we tend more to efficiency in all things . I was taken to jos for a presentation of a software i built and for the trip we had to fill up the tank of this range rover sports with N6.5 k, half way in the trip my associate asked that the air conditioning be put off to conserve fuel then on our way back we had to fill the tank again . Thats N13 k for a trip to jos and back from abuja . This is not the life style of a true programmer who isnt already stinking in millions .
My advice is focus on solving your clients problems and compete in your skill set with the international community of developers .
In my case , i came to abuja just two years ago , with nothing but the conviction that abuja is better than benin (Ecclesiastes 10:15 :The labor of the foolish wearies every one of them, because he knows not how to go to the city.)
I would market my skills at day , meet clients in the evening and code all night .
Today i own two cars and two landed assets and am always operating over 6-7 figures on jobs . You can buy the range but dont make it your objective .

See you at the top !
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by oladayo042: 12:49pm On Jan 06, 2012
Thread stir up my interest in programming.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by mayowae(m): 9:44am On Jan 08, 2012
Its all on perspectives. Most Nigerian programmers are typical programmers with little business minds, am sorry if i sound like this but am talking from experience. They are always looking at the instant gratification, If you'll agree with me, only someone with passion to code can be a programmer and sustain it. Programming has its own ways of sifting out non-naturally endowed guys. But circumstances, personal responsibility and domestic demands fades out this passion with time.

This is my point. Most development that gave programmers above the kind of money that can make them afford 10 Range Rover sport are not the regular day to day software solutions and are values that are rendered "free" at first.

How many developers can do that?

If you can, that is the first step.

If you are this category and you are experienced in OOP programming environment, please get in touch mayowae@yahoo.com
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2012
They all want instant cash because they have done a great job.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by mayowae(m): 1:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
Pls don't get me wrong @*dhtml. What i meant is like what @abbyode said. Of course u need good pay for good job but something of what @abbyode said is not d usual day to day programming.

Its always like a vision and no one is going to pay you upfront for that. An example is FACEBOOK.

No one can eat his cake and have it at the same time.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jan 08, 2012
Have you seen my personal website - www..net - many programmers have criticized it, that it lacks a plan. . . that it is waste of time, that i should have spent the time to do something more useful.
But i am not chasing instant cash, money is at the later part of my algorithm, not at the begining.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Ghenghis(m): 12:19am On Jan 09, 2012
My company has earned as much as $25, 000 on software i wrote (with just 1 enterprise customer, minus annual support fee etc.). The same software was sold to 2 customers (that's the entire market). I'm sure the total earnings must be close to $100,000 in 3 years.

It depends on who is selling and who is buying, there's no limit to how much can be earned, its a matter of meeting the right need.

would you rather try to sell $50,000 to 1,000 customers or $500 to 100,000 customers?
The big coys understand this secret.

I don't drive a Range Sport , not yet anyway. I'm sure its possible(my MD drove one, and he's a/was programmer). Just hang in there, and open your mind ,
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by kambo(m): 6:02pm On Oct 15, 2013
some programmers like richard stallman see programming as a calling. A calling that fortunately pays some remuneration.
U may never be rich as a programmer (according to ur/societies definition of rich) but some of d most influential intellectuals had to make a choice on fame vs pursuit of wealth.
Most influential math dons died poor but their impact can't b recreated with a trillion billion dollars think of the impact of Alan Turing, Ron Rivest, Professor Tanenbaum (creator of minix from which linux was borne), donald knuth(author of 'The art of computer programming', Tex(software)), paul erdos (mathematician), grigori perelman (mathematician- rejected million dollar prize money), alonzo church(created lambda calculus on which lisp is based), berhnard riemann, ramanujan (the indian math genius) etc. Arguably these guys are top notch academicians but theyre abviously very accomplished because they are experts at what they know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by kambo(m): 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2013
Ghenghis:
My company has earned as much as $25,000 on software i wrote (with just 1 enterprise customer, minus annual support fee etc.). The same software was sold to 2 customers (that's the entire market). I'm sure the total earnings must be close to $100,000 in 3 years.

It depends on who is selling and who is buying, there's no limit to how much can be earned, its a matter of meeting the right need.

would you rather try to sell

$50,000 to 1,000 customers or $500 to 100,000 customers?
The big coys understand this secret.

I don't drive a Range Sport , not yet anyway. I'm sure its possible(my MD drove one, and he's a/was programmer). Just hang in there, and open your mind ,

this analogy actually leads to industry shaking ripples. It harms core players ,like the programmer in question,who want to make good money and attracts contempt from the buyers: because people naturally disdain the cheap.
And drives out wud b top players. because the industry lacks its appeal to them.
Microsoft sells developer software up to $5000 dollars, so does Ibm and so does Oracle, they dont all try to mass market their products at ridiculous prices.
Think of the number of companies running oracle database and yet the price isnt pittance amount.
It is this low pricing of software tht makes wud b buyers pour contempt on the seller.
But if they were to sit and code the software they treat like trash they'd respect how much wrk and ingenuity is involved.
Some times price is set as an indicator of the proposed value of the product. Come to think of it, car sellers hav no qualms selling a single car for N12m , and get buyers falling over themselves to own one,
stanford mba fees is around $400k and people break their neck to get in, wat is stanford ,havard,princeton teaching tht cant b acquired much cheaply?
So if ppl are going to fall over themselves for nigerian software we've got to set prestigious prices, and damn the consequences.
This is d case in d real estate market- they set d prices and d customer comes up with d money despite the abundance of potential customers decent housing aint cheap. Infact customers hav come to expect high prices of housing, school fees, cars etc.
Y not same for software which is even more fundamental?
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by cyrielo(m): 10:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
[quote author=mekaboy][b] BROSS HUNGER DEY KILL PROGRAMMERS FOR NIGERIA- ESPECIALLY THAT OF SOFTWARE- I HAVE FRIENDS WHO WILL BE DEVELOPING A SOFTWARE ON THE SYSTEM WITH A BIG BOWL OF GARRI AND GROUNDNUT SOAKED ON THE TABLE grin grin grin grin grin grin WHILE OTHERS ABROAD DEY LICK ICECREAM WHILE THEY DO.

CORRUPTION KILLS EVERYTHING IN NIGERIA , WHICH MAKES IT HARD FOR NIGERIANS TO EVEN BELIEVE IN NIGERIAN PRODUCTS, BECAUSE IF I CANT TRUST MYSELF I CANT TRUST YOU. MOST NIGERIANS WILL PREFARE TO PAY TO GET ONES FROM COMPANIES ABROAD.

SECONDLY, ONE THING IN NIGERIA IS THAT DEVELOPERS LACK EXCELLENCE- THE PROGRAMMER ABRAOD AND THE ONE IN NIGERIA IS THIS.

1, THEY HAVE BASIC NEEDS MET - THEY ARE RELAXED, AND THEY ARE CODING BECAUSE IT GIVES THEM JOY THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO SOLVE A PROBLEM TO HUMANITY. THEIR AIM IS TO BE RECOGNIZED AS AN INVENTOR SO THEY GIVE IT ALL THEY GOT TO ENSURE THE SOFTWARE IS FREE OF BUGS.

BUT THE NIGERIAN PROGRAMMERS PRIMARY FOCUS IS RANGE ROVER SPORTS grin grin grin grin grin SO THEY ARE IN A HURRY TO BRING SOMETHING OUT IN THE MARKET AND ITS FULL OF ERRORS, WHEN SOMEONE BUYS IT AND FINDS PROBLEMS, THEY ARE DISCOURAGED AND DISCOURAGE OTHER FROM BUYING MADE IN NIGERIA .

YOUR FOCUS SHOULD NOT BE ABOUT THE MONEY NOW BUT ABOUT SOLVING A PROBLEM. IF THE STRESS IS TOO MUCH AND YOU HAVE MUCH NEEDS, THEN SIMPLY START OF A BUSINESS WITH THE MONEY YOU HAVE WHILE U DO YOUR PROGRAMMING ASIDE.

BECAUSE WHEN YOU DEY DRINK GARRI WHILE PROGRAMMING, YOUR SOFTWARE WILL BE FULL OF GARRI AND GROUND NUT BUGS. SO HAVE ANOTHER MEANS OF INCOME WHICH WILL ENABLE YOU RELAX AND DO A CLEAN JOB.

ANOTHER ISSUE IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPTION, YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE TO MAKE IT BIG. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE IN GOVT EG(MINISTER) HE CAN RECOMMEND YOUR SOFTWARE FOR THE MINISTRY, A SOFTWARE YOU WOULD HAVE SOLD FOR 10K WILL BE AWARDED AS A COUNTRACT FOR 100 MILLION NAIRA. ATLEAST YOU GET 10 OR 20MILL , YOUR OWN DON BETTER BE THAT OO grin grin grin grin[/b][/qu ;Dote]
+10000000000000000 likes
lmao grin

2 Likes

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by johnbendie(m): 4:36pm On Oct 28, 2013
Software programming or the computer science industry is like any other industry. There are four classes of people operating in it like any other industry by Rich Dad's standard. Which do you belong to. Like any other industry you can make just about the kind of money others make from a particular position. As an exceptional employee you can make a reasonable amount of money. As an entrepreneur you can make poor profits. Take a position according to your level of risk. Are your eyes trained to see opportunities? If not get some training in that area.

In my personal observation the opportunity is there for an entrepreneur. You see your efforts as an enterprise. Are you coding for the mass market or for businesses.
Facebook is a B2C application. They understand that and focus on delivering effective services that keeps these customers on their platfrom. They understand the business model.
SAP is a B2B focused enterprise. They understand that and remain focused.

Look critically at what opportunities present themselves and I can assure you they abound. I'm sure over these 2 years the views of the OP must have changed because of a lot of disruptive events that has been taking place in the country. There is no doubt now whether we can afford a Range or even a Bentley given enough time and as the market for IT products grows. We are living in exciting times.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Thazard(m): 11:24pm On Aug 12, 2020
2020 programmers I would like you guys to answer this question.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2020
Thazard:
It's possible if you are working at flutterwaves or remotely for a big American company but those companies no be moimoi to enter o. Flutterwaves pays their frontend developers 120k dollars. No be moimoi. The thing is those high paying jobs require serious proficiency in data structures and algorithms. It's not easy for someone who didn't come from a computer science background.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Thazard(m): 11:59pm On Aug 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

It's possible if you are working at flutterwaves or remotely for a big American company but those companies no be moimoi to enter o. Flutterwaves pays their frontend developers 120k dollars. No be moimoi. The thing is those high paying jobs require serious proficiency in data structures and algorithms. It's not easy for someone who didn't come from a computer science background.

100% correct.
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by cixak95211: 5:10am On Aug 13, 2020
Thazard:

Its quite possible, if you get a good job. I do live in a duplex, and drive a Merc [almost exactly what the original OP intended to know]
This should motivate every programmer out there, although you gotta pay the price, which is TIME !
It takes time ; a very long one at that.

1 Like

Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Deicide: 7:50am On Aug 13, 2020
I know this is coming late but what did you guys mean by you sold a software? Was it meant to be you sold the licence for the software?
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by lordally(m): 12:07am On Sep 06, 2020
cixak95211:

Its quite possible, if you get a good job. I do live in a duplex, and drive a Merc [almost exactly what the original OP intended to know]
This should motivate every programmer out there, although you gotta pay the price, which is TIME !
It takes time ; a very long one at that.

Just the motivation I need to Push forward thanks Baba!!! .... All I need is your mentorship and that's all...please!!
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by cixak95211: 2:46am On Sep 06, 2020
lordally:

Just the motivation I need to Push forward thanks Baba!!! .... All I need is your mentorship and that's all...please!!

No qualms;
Re: Can A Nigeria Programmer Afford A Range Rover Sport? by Etinosa1234: 10:16am On Sep 06, 2020
lordally:

Bro the email for this account is not active

Just msg me on WhatsApp 08081four6

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Hardest Topic You Encountered While Learning Any Programming Language? / Arduino,raspberry Pi,sensors Etc / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.