Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,725 members, 7,892,855 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 July 2024 at 06:53 PM

Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt (20984 Views)

Esojay Luciano: The Luciano Effect Mixtape(classick) / Who Is Esojay Luciano? This Guy Is The Best: / Kevin Luciano Arrested? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Dsense(m): 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2011
islamrules:

Why going to Nigeria ?

Nigerians dont listen to foreign music. Because majority of them can't decipher foreign English.

That is why American songs are not popular in Nigeria.

If you can use Yoruba, Pigin, Igbo to rap, dont come.

One funny thing is majority of Nigerian rappers are singing Fuji, but they are deceiving themselves that they are singing hiphop.

They have bastardized hiphop. Someone like Nice, Brymo, Samklef e.t.c are suppose to be singing fuji.

Anyways, I dont know how the guy sang and what he sang.

grin grin grin grin grin. Tough guy, u just killed my people grin
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by fortran12: 2:44pm On Dec 23, 2011
The behavour was bad, showing Nigeria in bad light
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by polokor60(m): 3:05pm On Dec 23, 2011
stagger:

Na some dem dey behave. Majority of Ikwerre youths are very unwelcoming of strangers and that is why they never progress into anything meaningful except building houses that a dog cannot live in and working as touts, harassing people for radio license and sanitation receipt.

Never seen a more narrow minded people in my life.
right on spot,some of them never cross the boundary of river state sef.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by 1forall: 3:12pm On Dec 23, 2011
Basildon1:

At least they used empty water bottles, he should be thankful. cheesy
Woke4all:

They threw empty water bottles at him and he's not even happy?   Lolz try this in maybe warri they'll throw stones or water bottles filled with urine grin

What manner of reasoning? Still a loong way to go
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by LeMoor(m): 3:13pm On Dec 23, 2011
Now this Ish is mad funny, They not comfortable with Luciano, but are comfortable with Ras Kimono? Whose whole repertoire includes the fake assed patois lifted from people like Luciano? and 90% of his music catalogue are whole songs stolen from Jamaican artiste?

Lets not act like, we dont know where most Nigerian artistes lift their inspiration from, P-Square, Tuface, Whizkid to name a few,

It is rude to throw anything at any artiste, if you dont like his act, leave, Saying Foreign artistes should not be invited to perform in Nigeria is all well and good, if Nigerian arstistes too will sit their asses in Nigeria and not go on tours abroad.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by papaejima2: 3:29pm On Dec 23, 2011
I live in Port Harcourt and though I did not attend the show but, since it was a free show, I expect that there would be a lot of low-income earners who probably have not been to a paid concert before and probably have not heard the kind of music played by Luciano. The organisers should have put that into consideration and invited artistes that the audience will most likely appreciate. Even if they want to bring a foreign artiste, not someone most of the crowd have never heard of.

While not justifying the behaviour, folks trying to localise the incidence are just ignorant and must be of the same class as the people they are condemning. If you are really exposed as most of you claim, you should have known that even worse incidents than this have happened in the so-call advanced countries. The late Amy Winehouse was booed off stage in Belgrade. Nickelbeck, a rock star, was booed off stage and even hit with rocks in Portugal by an audience who did not appreciate his genre of music (just like the Port Harcourt fans did not appreciate Luciano's music). Bottles were thrown at Charlie Sheen at an Ohio concert. Like someone pointed out here, Flavour received similar treatment in an African country.

There are several cases of artistes receiving worse treatment from an audience. It is part of the hazards of the job. It has happened in Port Harcourt but could also have happened in Lagos, Abuja, Accra, Johannesburg, New York, London or Tokyo.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Okijajuju1(m): 3:31pm On Dec 23, 2011
^^^

Ras Kimono is a Legend.

His songs, old as they are will still lift the spirit of any crowd older than 20 years anywhere in Nigeria.

Luciano is not that well known. You cant blame the crowd for reacting that way. People want to be entertained. Calabar lined up quite a number of very good and popular artists with popular songs that the crowd can sing along to. I blame the organizers of the Carnival. CANIRIV 2011 was a massive flop.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by aribisala0(m): 3:53pm On Dec 23, 2011
reply PH is quite welcoming of good artistes way back in the 80s Murray Bruce brought Lakeside to town. was great!
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Litmus: 3:59pm On Dec 23, 2011
There should be no excuses for "fan" bad behavior,  whether   it be in New York, London, Tokyo or PH. On the other hand, i realty detest it when posters label the behavior of those PH people as barbaric, primitive and then go on to make comments such as, 'our people have a long way to go'. It smacks of the age old prejudices whose intent is to turn all Africans into easily pleased, grateful for being alive in a white world, smiley happy coons.

Personally, i have a lot of respect and love for Reggae artists whose sentiments belong in the black consciousness/political  movement camp. I would pay to watch their show, anytime and anywhere, in respect and support, as a Nigerian and a black person, and so feel very sad about the incident. Those rappers who encourage violence and misogyny totally would deserve pelting.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by noiseless: 4:15pm On Dec 23, 2011
Honestly labeling a great artist like Luciano as a washed up artist is so unfortunate,just because he might not be well known in porthacourt does not mean the rasta is no longer a world wide reggae icon. And the brothers/sisters in porthacourt should go home try a bit to learn about this reggae icon if they dont know him,and as for the few who think foreign artist should not be come to perform in naija are simply wrong and that is typical of some few ignorant naija peeps to always say leave "our land and go back to yours".I JUST HOPE BIG BRO LUCIANO DID NOT TAKE IT TOO PERSONAL So who knows he may some day come back and wow them in the future.   SHALOM.

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Bossman(m): 4:15pm On Dec 23, 2011
Unbelievable! Anywhere this guy performs here in the states is always packed.  Serious message in his music. OMG, some Nigerians are really uninformed!

Edit - Thought I should add this link for those that do not know much about this guy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luciano+reggae&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by debosky(m): 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2011
As far as the guy nor yakuluya , nack akpako or ginjah so, dem nor go gbadun am, BUSH LEAGUE FELLOWS!

Hehehehehe. . . . the guy nack akpako duet with Terry G nah! grin

The consultant that brought a washed up reggae artist should be stoned too. grin
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by kizito96(m): 5:33pm On Dec 23, 2011
Too Bad
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by sholasys: 5:37pm On Dec 23, 2011
This is very unfortunate and am unhappy about it. But seriously, we need to blame the organizer for not doing their job properly. Luciano is not that kind of musician you bring to ph crowd at all. At worst he should have been the first artist to perform, even if  he wasnt appreciated, he wouldnt have been stoned with the thought that there are still more artist to showcase. PH is the most lively, classical, funkky, paparazzi, music loving pple after Lagos in this naija. We have taste and standards, pple there are well exposed (owing to the multi nationals, and oyibos wey dey there). If you live in Ph you will discovered that we enjoy some brand of music, from the clubs, small  and big parties, radio stations, FM etc music played are major naija. like smbody said earlier, d/mighty, timaya, terry g, 9ice and all this street dance music. few pple enjoys reggea here, You can do  Reggae in akwa ibom, calaba, makurdi etc. This are all wat the organizer needed to scoop first.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by moremi2008(m): 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2011
Stupid Nigerians again! Seeking record-breaking performance from foreign artistes but only willing to pay a tenth of what their peers in developed countries pay to see those acts. So the barbarians in Port Harcourt were expecting Jay-Z when they paid N1,500 to see Luciano? Bloody Fools!
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 23, 2011
[size=58pt]Clap for yourself Nigeria. [/size] wink

I hope all Jamaican artists pay attention to this so it won't happen again.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by brinell(m): 8:02pm On Dec 23, 2011
@ all: There is one thing you need to know about Port Harcourt. Due to the history of insecurity and unruly behaviour in concerts or shows, the enlightened and learned ones do not go to shows of this nature. You only find mostly the jobless touts and other miscreants bent on making a scene. Without creating a scene they feel that they've not had their day. For this reason, most learned and responsible men and women don't go to such shows, even when they would have loved to. This is the reality!

Unfortunately, when these miscreants eventually create the scenes and attract negative publicity, the oiutcome is generalized as 'Port Harcoiurt People'. I personally wasn't impressed with the entire carnival, I didn't see a joyous mood that can be said to be the order of the day. However, the government intentions were good, but I would have liked a situation where the actual and real cultures of the many different tribes are showcased and not necessarily as is seen in the Carribeans and say Calabar. In otherwords, you choose to do that which will bring the best of you, your abilities and then you radiate with joy. I think that is the purpose of carnival.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by ToToChoper: 8:45pm On Dec 23, 2011
Still shocking, one would expect some degree of resentment on a new "whine your bootie" dancehall reggae artist and not Luciano who is in the same league as U-Roy, Yellow man, Papa Toyan, Cocoa Tea, Burning Spear, Beres Hammond, Black Uhuru, etc.

Anyway brotha stay positive and put it behind you. Your song "Sweep over my Soul" remains my all time great, Jah love

Luciano---Sweep over my soul (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spdDFDpPDNE&feature=related
[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by 2kurupt(m): 9:28pm On Dec 23, 2011
This incident sure brings about bad publicity for those of us in PH but some peeps here are talking trash & labeling the entire PH as illiterates.

I wasn't at the show personally but am aware the acts to grace the show were not even announced before the event, thus Luciano met a wrong crowd, coz I do know we got lots of ragga heads in PH too
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by oderemo(m): 10:09pm On Dec 23, 2011
Imagine this to happ. To artiste lyk MOvAno, or any of these ragga artistes .it is actually a known fact that some of them come on stage with gun as a prop on life shows.
Ever heard of that story abt tennor saw and that coolly guy that his name just elude me.
Well some of these guys dont ramp on stage at all, to them its lyk going to war.
i have to appologise to the cabanna man on bhalf of all good nija.
Ki the ultimate,salawa,femi etc came to the barbican in uk, all sang in their dialects, didnt c any pelting.y wld i after paying my 25 pound
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Thugnificent(m): 12:11am On Dec 24, 2011
WTF!! Throwing water bottles at Luciano!! A grammy nominated artist, nw i'm ashamed. Http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luciano_(singer)

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 12:29am On Dec 24, 2011
^^Not only a grammy nominee but one of the most respected and respectable
artists out there PERIOD!!! Pan-Africanist and SOOOO humble. Had the honor of meeting him and when i tell you
this man has a pure soul, i am NOT bullshieting. He definitely didn't deserve that DISRESPECT nor FO0LS on here referring to him as "washed up". I just hope Luciano learns from this and goes where he receives the same love he shows. tongue I think it should be a wrap when it comes to him performing in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Thugnificent(m): 12:51am On Dec 24, 2011
MsDarkSkin:

^^Not only a grammy nominee but one of the most respected and respectable
artists out there PERIOD!!! Pan-Africanist and SOOOO humble. Had the honor of meeting him and when i tell you
this man has a pure soul, i am NOT bullshieting. He definitely didn't deserve that DISRESPECT nor FO0LS on here referring to him as "washed up". I just hope Luciano learns from this and goes where he receives the same love he shows.  tongue I think it should be a wrap when it comes to him performing in Nigeria.
I just can't believe PH pple wld humiliate him dat much, i mean d guy is huge And draws very large crowd of fans at various shows home and abroad, even to d extent of being nominated for a grammy! So tell me how many of dem psquare, timaya, terry G don ever smell grammy nomination? Didnt fink so cuz its impossible nd they still wnt see it till d expiration of their careers! I dnt blame dem sha, maybe because it was a free concert even touts and ganja smoking agberos who listen to only akpako master cld attend! I hope Luciano doesn't take d insults personally sha.

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by humblebee: 12:59am On Dec 24, 2011
thought PH is a big city where they will appreciate such songs, wat went wrong? im very dissapointed, if french pips could listen to asa then i dont see any reason why they cant just b patient for him to do his thing and leave the stage, thats childlish and silly
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 1:00am On Dec 24, 2011
Thugnificent:

I just can't believe PH pple wld humiliate him dat much, i mean d guy is huge And draws very large crowd of fans at various shows home and abroad, even to d extent of being nominated for a grammy! So tell me how many of dem psquare, timaya, terry G don ever smell grammy nomination? Didnt fink so cuz its impossible nd they still wnt see it till d expiration of their careers! I dnt blame dem sha, maybe because it was a free concert even touts and ganja smoking agberos who listen to only akpako master cld attend! I hope Luciano doesn't take d insults personally sha.

yeah. he's definitely a humble and reasonable person so who knows.  smiley
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:18am On Dec 24, 2011
Gross!!!
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:33am On Dec 24, 2011
Okija_juju:

^^^

Ras Kimono is a Legend.

His songs, old as they are will still lift the spirit of any crowd older than 20 years anywhere in Nigeria.

Luciano is not that well known. You cant blame the crowd for reacting that way. People want to be entertained. Calabar lined up quite a number of very good and popular artists with popular songs that the crowd can sing along to. I blame the organizers of the Carnival. CANIRIV 2011 was a massive flop.
Even if he wasn't well-known,which I find to be untrue,there isn't any justification for the treatment meted to him.
Besides,Luciano is a pillar in the dancehall scene.That folks don't do their research shouldnt be reason to label him unknown.
I know him well because I pay attention to reggae/dancehall and I know Luciano is a big deal in Jamaica.
It's illiterate people that will stone him Because they dont know him.
Though it's not right to label PH folks that way,I know that it is mostly miscreants who patronize those shows.Its little wonder that no foreign music artiste has been brought to the city since Wyclef's hemp disgrace here a few years ago.
debosky:

Hehehehehe. . . . the guy nack akpako duet with Terry G nah! grin

The consultant that brought a washed up reggae artist should be stoned too. grin
The above reeks of ignorance.If you can conclude Luciano is washed un because of a hit that crossed over to the mainstream,you should be ashamed of yourself.Do your study on Luciano before posting.
sholasys:

This is very unfortunate and am unhappy about it. But seriously, we need to blame the organizer for not doing their job properly. Luciano is not that kind of musician you bring to ph crowd at all. At worst he should have been the first artist to perform, even if  he wasnt appreciated, he wouldnt have been stoned with the thought that there are still more artist to showcase. PH is the most lively, classical, funkky, paparazzi, music loving pple after Lagos in this naija. We have taste and standards, pple there are well exposed (owing to the multi nationals, and oyibos wey dey there). If you live in Ph you will discovered that we enjoy some brand of music, from the clubs, small  and big parties, radio stations, FM etc music played are major naija. like smbody said earlier, d/mighty, timaya, terry g, 9ice and all this street dance music. few pple enjoys reggea here, You can do  Reggae in akwa ibom, calaba, makurdi etc. This are all wat the organizer needed to scoop first.
Not the point.
When Tuface and co went abroad at first,were they stoned at the shows/concerts they appeared in?
That behavior is uncivil and disgraceful and there is no excuse for it at all.it is no way to treat a foreign visitor who came in peace.For a country that needs all the help it can get,this is a black mark on our already tattered image.
Bossman:

Unbelievable! Anywhere this guy performs here in the states is always packed.  Serious message in his music. OMG, some Nigerians are really uninformed!

Edit - Thought I should add this link for those that do not know much about this guy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=luciano+reggae&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
On point.
Ignorance at its highest.People react mostly in a hostile manner to things they don't know.Yet this man used to kill Sunsplash year after year with sizzling performances,.Folks say they know Reggae and can appreciate Ras Kimono but not Luciano at the same event?How ignorant.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by dmainboss: 9:51am On Dec 24, 2011
I am more disappointed with the comments I have read here than what the PH guys did.

1. Luciano is a world class artist and cannot, I repeat cannot be compared to any artist in Nigeria. Pleaseeeeee. I you dont know music, go and learn. If you think Terry G and Timaya and P Square are talented when they cant even sing without the aid of computer, then you are a product of the failed Nigerian education system. These Nigerian artist can only mine on stage and you calll them talented? You lot are a disgrace. Luciano is a legend and his performances are world class. I can understand if you say the PH crowd do not know him. But to say he is less talented than these wack Nigerian computer miming artists, is just ridiculous.

2. Warri guys would never do that. Warri is a town where real reggae trives. One of the most popular reggae artist is Warri is Sonia spence. Another is lucky Dube. Calabar is another strong reggae city. PH is a highlife town and all they can really appreciate is high life. High life  is great music so dont get me wrong.

3. CNN just released a list of the most popular African artists and only 3 Nigerians made it. Asa at no 1, Nneka at no 3 and Tuface at no 4. These are true Nigerian artists with real talent. All these other people you call talented artists are not on the list because they are simply local champions. All they do is hype and false claims. Using computer to help their singing. They cannot hold regular concerts and shows around the world and their music is not even in stores around the world. So please dont compare them to legends like Luciano.

http://9jabeats.com/ranking.php?mode=blog&message_id=685&row_template=news_page.tpl

4. Many of these posts here just shows the kind of music many Nigerians listen to and why many Nigerians have very low mentality. How can you listen to lyrics from Psquare, Terry G and Wizkid and end up intelligent? I hope you dont bring up your kids with such trash

1 Like

Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by londoner: 10:01am On Dec 24, 2011
This is absolutely disgusting and nobody can justify it. PH people, you let us all down and showed us in a negative light, as if we dont have enough.

I'm very ashamed that people there behaved like animals towards a fellow human being, who did them no harm at all.

The time is passed that Nigerians need to take a long hard look at the few among us that act is such a bad way.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Sagamite(m): 10:51am On Dec 24, 2011
Okija_juju:

Port-Harcourt is the worst place for foriegn artists to visit. Its the same port-harcourt that someone jumped on stage and snatched Usher Raymonds bling from his neck.

The last time Port-Harcourt recieve a foreign artist with love was when Wyclef visited. And ofcourse marijuana was allowed at that show.

A bullet in his leg would have been helpful.

Woke4all:

They threw empty water bottles at him and he's not even happy? Lolz try this in maybe warri they'll throw stones or water bottles filled with urine grin

Anyways i don't blame the artist. Blame it on the organiser!

This is the kind of cretin my country is producing.
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by BinghiNya(m): 12:32pm On Dec 24, 2011
Ph crowd should count themselves lucky luciano is not someone like ninjaman elephant man or bountikillah silly retards who dont know luciano as a trade mark artiste sorry mi breddren it ah one ah dem bad days one love
Re: Jamaican Reggae Star, Luciano, Stoned In Port Harcourt by Mobinga: 2:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
Silly generalizations.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Video: Download Chris Brown – Don't Be Gone Too Long Ft Ariana Grande MP4 / Yemi Alade Album 'Empress' Tracklist. Set To Release Album (Photo) / "I Am North" - Kheengz Addresses The Popular Stereotypical Views Of The North

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.