Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,845 members, 7,889,818 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 09:40 PM

Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? (11061 Views)

Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy be removed??

No, Never.: 12% (39 votes)
Not Now. Build Refineries first.: 57% (173 votes)
Yes but phased.: 14% (43 votes)
Yes. Now: 15% (48 votes)
This poll has ended

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Which Governor-Elects Are Likely To Be Removed By Tribunals? / Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Mobinga: 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
hisson3:

@ beaf, please keep shut and let honest nigerians speak,who do you think you are fooling? angry

No one. Everyone knows he's a PDP-funded, low intellect propagandist.

Here's proof :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-586305.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-624604.0.html
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2011
@ topic the answer is simply no, no and no.

l hope u all listened to the speech given by Peter Esele the TUC presidet on how wicked the govt is to the citizens.

He said the cabals can never be successful without govt's backing.

He said the refineries can never work in Nigeria cos some elements in both the FG and NNPC wouldnt allow them.

He said PPMC is a major problem and even after deregulation, the same PPMC will still be indirectly involved.

He said the cabals cant be stopped cos they fund political parties hence Nigerians must have to suffer. Dangote is one of the cabals, he funds Gej. Otedola is one of the cabals, he also funded GEJ's campaign.

so who's fooling who?

He said PPPRA should tell us how they arrived at the N65 we currently pay.

so many many things.

He said there are some genuine staff with NNPC that will manage our refineries well and end the importation era, but becos of our govt's insincerity, those ones would never get to the top.

Pls lets ask ourselves.

Obj deregulated AGO(diesel) has the price of diesel dropped to N70 a litre ever since? they are telling us to wait that after deregulation, the price would come down, how far has diesel price gone down since deregulation?

how will smuggling be checked after deregulation?

the money to be saved would also be shared by govs and LG chairmen, arent these same pple corrupt even with the so much they already have as allocation?

Fasola and Tinubu has started killing Lagosians with multiple taxes(tolling and high university fees), if we now add the high cost of living that will proceed from deregulation, who would be left of Lagosians?

how will deregulation cub armed robbery and insecurity?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Ttola(m): 7:13pm On Dec 22, 2011
if govt doesn't trust itself on building refineries and operating them optimally, then why should anybody trust the same govt to keep to its words on the use of the subsidy funds.

and a question also; if all those responsible for the round-trip and corruption in the whole subsidy process are put out of business by this removal, does anybody seriously believe they would just go home and sit quietly somewhere, or look for another loop-hole to exploit and continue with their graft business.  if subsidy is removed or not, the corrution in the sector has to be dealt with first-hand, then we can come to the drawing board and talk about how to proceed,
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by courage89(m): 7:18pm On Dec 22, 2011
People canvassing for the efficient operation of the refinery before subsidy phase off are being delusional. How is this option going to benefit the masses?

These refineries will get their crude oil at the international prices which constitutes about 65-70% of the cost. We have to understand that our government does not own the oil blocks where these crude oil comes from 100%. They are binded by the joint venture stipulations that determine how to market these products. Therefore, they cannot just make a decision to give them away at sub-par prices.

The country currently has the capacity to refine 445 kbbl/d of crude oil. We all know that current capacity (@ full capacity) will not supply enough products for general consumption. The install capacity can only supply about 50-60 % of Nigerian consumption. This implies that we still have to import enough to cushion the shortfalls. We should also not forget that these refineries are old. They require newer technology to maintain their complex and very complex functionality. Even with these newer technologies, it’s going to be difficult to get them to function at least 80-85% of their installed capacity. Lest not forget impact of vandalism to crude oil pipelines and its effect, plus we don’t have the operating experience to maintain, turnaround, manage such highly sophisticated equipments. This will further reduce expected local supply and increases product importation.

The question remains, how would this be different from the current system? Why delay the judgement day, if we're still going to result into the same solution?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 7:20pm On Dec 22, 2011
Mobinga:

No one. Everyone knows he's a PDP-funded, low intellect propagandist.

Here's proof :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-586305.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-624604.0.html

And you are something of a fool, a poster who never has an intelligent thing to say, only insults on other NLer's you are jealous of.
Please check Mobinga's profile for proof, 90% of his posts are insults! shocked
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=248947;sa=showPosts

Really sad shiit flowing down.
Nobody cares what your political persuasion is, so long as you can make an intelligent contribution, which sadly your profile proves you've never done. You cannot be a happy person with a healthy self-esteem.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Mobinga: 7:33pm On Dec 22, 2011
Beaf:

And you are something of a fool, a poster who never has an intelligent thing to say, only insults on other NLer's you are jealous of.

. . . . Further confirming your low intellect.  grin

Please check Mobinga's profile for proof: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=248947;sa=showPosts

Really sad shiit flowing down.

LMFAO. hahaha.

And you are Beaf, an absolute moroon, who blindly clings to and defends whatever your puppet bosses (PDP), propose, despite the sagacity of the proposal.

You're a hypocrite, a visionless gizmo, I wouldn't blame you, enjoy your job as Chief PDP Propagandist.

Clown

Edit: LMFAO. Keep on editing your posts. grin
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by vicade(m): 7:43pm On Dec 22, 2011
Subsidy must stay for petrol. If it is to cut cost, we don't need 36 states,we don't need 109 senators and 300+ house of rep members. We don't need to spend 1billion on food. Who monitors NNPC. They should plug all these holes and cut down cost of governance.

A barber who fuels his I pass my neighbour gen for 260 naira for 4 litres can will now get it for about 560 naira for d same 4 litres. If he was barbing hair 100 naira na to become 150 or 200. Its either we pay or go to blade and comb.

The economics makes sense. You don't subsidize consumption rather u subsidize production.the thieves that are raking billions from takin our petrol to togo and d useless naija auditing firms were all present in the town hall meeting. Had Fela been alive he would have named names.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by vicade(m): 7:50pm On Dec 22, 2011
Femi falana ad sanusi said it all. We don't consume 35 million litres of petrol daily in Nigeria. I'm sure that's what d FG have officially in their books. Where is d excess fuel ?

So them dangote, otedola and d capital oil dude, they bring petrol from overseas, they charge government for subsidy and sometimes demurage even when d oil is still on d high seas. The vessel lands and the oil meant for naija is taken to cameroun and sold for 140 naira per litre. In between akintola williams deloitte will do d auditing and sign that the oil that was taken to cameroun is to be paid for by d FG in terms of subsidy including the demurage fee.Deloitte get their cut too. But can government mess with those who financed their election ?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by eprynce(m): 7:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
As much as it will bite very hard on the citizenry, The subsidy must go. The refineries will never work for as long as their is subsidy. Reason being that the cabal who are also govt cronies will not let it and the govt can not turn to bite the finger that fed it in the first place. They know this guys are their friends and the only way to settle for a win-win is for cabal to keep what they have gained so far and allow govt to truly deregulate. That is why the main beneficiaries (importers, marketers) are not complaining about the subsidy removal, they know they've had enough! The govt simply cannot expose them, that's the reality and at the same time the govt wants to stop their excesses. And believe me, even the cabal has agreed to mellow down!
This is my honest opinion.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Zab: 7:55pm On Dec 22, 2011
GOVERNMENT IS PUSHING NIGERIANS TO THE WALL. NEPA IS NOT WORKING AND BILLIONS OF NAIRA HAVE BEEN PUMPED . NOW THEY ARE TELLING US THAT CABALS ARE THE MAJOR REASON FOR SUBSIDY REMOVAL.

ARE THESE CABALS SUPERNATURAL BEINGS? WHY CAN'T THE GOVERNMENT BRING THEM TO BOOK. THE TRUTH IS THAT GOVERNMENT IS NOT SINCERE. WHAT IS EFCC DOING? LOOKING FOR YAHOO BOYS THAT MAKE $100 AND CLOSING THEIR EYES WHEN POLITICIANS STEAL BILLIONS OF NAIRA.

EFCC IS A FAILURE AND MUST BE SCRAPPED.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by eprynce(m): 8:00pm On Dec 22, 2011
The country currently has the capacity to refine 445 kbbl/d of crude oil. We all know that current capacity (@ full capacity) will not supply enough products for general consumption. The install capacity can only supply about 50-60 % of Nigerian consumption. This implies that we still have to import enough to cushion the shortfalls. We should also not forget that these refineries are old. They require newer technology to maintain their complex and very complex functionality. Even with these newer technologies, it’s going to be difficult to get them to function at least 80-85% of their installed capacity. Lest not forget impact of vandalism to crude oil pipelines and its effect, plus we don’t have the operating experience to maintain, turnaround, manage such highly sophisticated equipments. This will further reduce expected local supply and increases product importation.

I disagree here. If you talk about technology, then we should talk of only building additional new refineries. The old ones can always still produce at possible capacities. The new ones act as supplimentary or vice versa, depending on which is bigger.

The situation ere is analogous to the power sector, where we have massive shortfall simplly because new power stations are not built to suppliment or add to existing ones.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 8:04pm On Dec 22, 2011
Poor low-self-esteemed mobinga. Poor lil wretch! At his best insulting those he is jealous of and contributing zero to the thread as always.
It must be a sad life. Here I am crying loads for you. cry cry cry cry

vicade:

Subsidy must stay for petrol. If it is to cut cost, we don't need 36 states,we don't need 109 senators and 300+ house of rep members. We don't need to spend 1billion on food. Who monitors NNPC. They should plug all these holes and cut down cost of governance.

A barber who fuels his I pass my neighbour gen for 260 naira for 4 litres can will now get it for about 560 naira for d same 4 litres. If he was barbing hair 100 naira na to become 150 or 200. Its either we pay or go to blade and comb.

The economics makes sense. You don't subsidize consumption rather u subsidize production.the thieves that are raking billions from takin our petrol to togo and d useless naija auditing firms were all present in the town hall meeting. Had Fela been alive he would have named names.

All the bolded items require constitutional amendments to be realised, therefore they are more idealistic than practical. Changing the constitution with the stated aim of bettering the world of the common will never go down well with the "owners" of Nigeria, their agents form the majority in the House of Rep, so you can imagine that such a process will be a nonstarter. Instead, progress must be made with tact and cunning.

As for naming the fuel importers, they are doing nothing unlawful. What they have done is write the loopholes to suck the nation dry into the law; they have control of the oil unions through bribes given away from scrutiny; the same goes for the army, police, customs, port handlers etc. It is for that reason above all else that the entire system must be swept away.

Aside from dealing with the importers, there is also the fact the FG has never been good at doing business. There is a littany of sorrow from NITEL to PHCN, from the refineries to PAN; it always becomes a free for all feast of filthy lucre that further comprimises our prospects of ever developing. Big government = corruption.
When you add in the fact that 18 private sector refinery licenses have been gathering cobwebs, because the operators are scared of the subsidy, then the case against it becomes watertight. We can only move forward by changing direction from the ugly past.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by vicade(m): 8:07pm On Dec 22, 2011
The key thing I got today from d debate is that d subsidy should be nowhere close to what d FG is paying currently. Dare the cabal and bring them to book. All of them then we move forward from there. If not you remove d subsidy and d money saved from d exercise will be used to award contracts to the same people who were ripping off nigeria from the subsidy fiasco. Loose Loose.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by deevick246(m): 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2011
The subsidy should remain. Please can somebody tell me why our government is so insensitive to the needs of the electorates? Why can't this government just focus on building more refineries and maintaining them than talking about the removal of fuel subsidies?
I love how Femi Falana addressed the issues, he displayed doggedness and commitment to the messes than pallying with the powers that be.
This country is so blessed with all it takes to be a front liner among the nations of the world but our greatest undoing is leadership. When are we going to have credible and selfless leaders?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by vicade(m): 8:14pm On Dec 22, 2011
@beaf

I feel ur comments. I also believe the impact on the masses the removal of subsidy will have is underestimated. A whole new grade of poverty will be created and to make it worse, Government won't and I say affirmative won't do anything tangible with d savings.

With 1000 naira today, I can drive my car to most parts of lagos. Remove subsidy and I need 2200 to move around per day plus d damn lekki toll gatee plus land use charge plus tax plus nepa bill plus d local security watch fee and so on. You think there is crime ? Remove subsidy and when d government use d savings for private jets you will see crime as u have never seen before. Man must chop.

Bring d cabals to book first or else its a waste of time
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by kizito96(m): 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2011
Yes
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Mobinga: 8:16pm On Dec 22, 2011
Beaf:

Poor low-self-esteemed mobinga. Poor lil wretch! At his best insulting those he is jealous of and contributing zero to the thread as always.
It must be a sad life. Here I am crying loads for you. cry cry cry cry

What? Lol??!!  grin

You've trolled Nairaland mindlessly, supporting your boss and his circle of worthless clowns, I hope the shallow support and defence has included you on the cabals payroll?  

You're of the worst breed of corrupt Nigerians.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by otokx(m): 8:32pm On Dec 22, 2011
Definitely not, this government is not sincere.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 22, 2011
vicade:

@beaf

I feel your comments. I also believe the impact on the masses the removal of subsidy will have is underestimated. A whole new grade of poverty will be created and to make it worse, Government won't and I say affirmative won't do anything tangible with d savings.

With 1000 naira today, I can drive my car to most parts of lagos. Remove subsidy and I need 2200 to move around per day plus d damn lekki toll gatee plus land use charge plus tax plus nepa bill plus d local security watch fee and so on. You think there is crime ? Remove subsidy and when d government use d savings for private jets you will see crime as u have never seen before. Man must chop.

nice response. 3 weeks ago, i filled my tank with N3500. i drove to church and to other places within this period and till now i still sufficient that will take out tommorrow friday saturday and sunday, then i will then buy another fuel.  l just cant imagine using N7000 to fuel a Honda Accord, coupled with the N240 toll fee i pay to Fashola+Tinubu and the price of pepper, bread, meat, rice, garri that will go up. How much do i earn in a month? yet i will have to buy 20litres of petrol for my gen at N2600 per week(after deregulation) since electricity supply isnt stable.

Now tell me if i have to over spend my salary in the name of sacrifice, if i have the chance of looting, dont u think i may be justified to loot, rob or take bribes?

Talking about refineries. diesel has been deregulated and marketers sell at various uncontrolled pump price. How many refineries has been built to at least refine crude to produce diesel? at least a small capacity refinery can be built to produce diesel. yet theses marketers still import what has been deregulated making the prices to stay put at over a N100 per litre for more than 8years.

deregulate PMS and i can bet that same thing will happen. these criminals will never build any refinery as they will still continue to import.

what happened to cement which dangote has a monopoly of? this same dangote was selling locally produced cement at the same price with imported cement thereby making more than 300% profit. If not for Gej that shouted that the prices be brought down earlier this year, nothing would have been done.

Now govt wants to leave us with the likes of heartless dangote and co that may never build a refinery in order to sell imported product at high price.

If not for NCC under Ndukwe, GSM operators would have continued to milk Nigerians dry. Even till now, they still do. Our internet access is one of the most expensive in the world.

Dstv is charging a monthly subscription rate in Nigeria, an amount they dont charge in SA where they came from.

Govt is supposed to be by the pple and for the pple. our govt is not by the pple, hence they are against the pple.

private sector cares about themselves and not the pple
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 8:45pm On Dec 22, 2011
--Beaf flicks the low-self-esteemed, clinging, jealous, foul-mouthed mobinga off his little toe into the pile of shiit thats his real home--

vicade:

@beaf

I feel your comments. I also believe the impact on the masses the removal of subsidy will have is underestimated. A whole new grade of poverty will be created and to make it worse, Government won't and I say affirmative won't do anything tangible with d savings.

I won't lie to you, I fear the bolded too. But its like every step in the unknown; the figures say its all good, but we are all human and can do the most surprising things, positive or negative.
Costs will come down after a few months as the private sector takes the slack, they will further drop when the new refineries kick in (then we should be back to closer to N65 per litre fuel again). Productivity and employment prospects will increase as well, so that your cost of living could be positively impacted. The question is how we will react as members of the public, govt officials, observers etc in the intervening months.

The key to the future is divesting Abuja off power and investing in the private sector as the new driver of development. The more Abuja cedes power to either the LG's, states or private sector, the closer Nigeria will get to our dream of true federalism and regional autonomy. These things form the bigger picture and are worth any short term sacrifice.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 8:51pm On Dec 22, 2011
^
Abeg make we hear sontin! Hypocrite.

toba:

nice response. 3 weeks ago, i filled my tank with N3500. i drove to church and to other places within this period and till now i still sufficient that will take out tommorrow friday saturday and sunday, then i will then buy another fuel. l just cant imagine using N7000 to fuel a Honda Accord, coupled with the N240 toll fee i pay to Fashola+Tinubu and the price of pepper, bread, meat, rice, garri that will go up. How much do i earn in a month? yet i will have to buy 20litres of petrol for my gen at N2600 per week(after deregulation) since electricity supply isnt stable.

Now tell me if i have to over spend my salary in the name of sacrifice, if i have the chance of looting, dont u think i may be justified to loot, rob or take bribes?

Talking about refineries. diesel has been deregulated and marketers sell at various uncontrolled pump price. How many refineries has been built to at least refine crude to produce diesel? at least a small capacity refinery can be built to produce diesel. yet theses marketers still import what has been deregulated making the prices to stay put at over a N100 per litre for more than 8years.

deregulate PMS and i can bet that same thing will happen. these criminals will never build any refinery as they will still continue to import.

what happened to cement which dangote has a monopoly of? this same dangote was selling locally produced cement at the same price with imported cement thereby making more than 300% profit. If not for Gej that shouted that the prices be brought down earlier this year, nothing would have been done.

Now govt wants to leave us with the likes of heartless dangote and co that may never build a refinery in order to sell imported product at high price.

If not for NCC under Ndukwe, GSM operators would have continued to milk Nigerians dry. Even till now, they still do. Our internet access is one of the most expensive in the world.

Dstv is charging a monthly subscription rate in Nigeria, an amount they dont charge in SA where they came from.

Govt is supposed to be by the pple and for the pple. our govt is not by the pple, hence they are against the pple.

private sector cares about themselves and not the pple

^^^
Do we need to start pulling off your threads about how GEJ is the messiah and fresh air? Wetin you se sef?

Enjoy your breath of fresh air.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Mobinga: 8:52pm On Dec 22, 2011
Beaf:

[i]--Beaf flicks the low-self-esteemed, clinging, jealous, foul-mouthed mobinga off his little toe into the pile of shiit thats his real

grin Lying Hypocrite.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by vicade(m): 8:55pm On Dec 22, 2011
@beaf In naija, when costs go up, they rarely come down unless its seasonal like christmas. Secondly, when will these benefits start to be felt or seen ? 2020 perhaps ?
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 8:56pm On Dec 22, 2011
@toba

Why would fuel importers continue to import when there is no father christmas to pay them anymore. The whole dynamic will change with the lifting of the subsidy, such that it would pay better to refine here as NDPR (Nigeria's first private refinery) has been claiming. It took about a year to build their refinery (bigger ones will take longer), here's their website: http://www.ngdelta.com/operations.php
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 9:05pm On Dec 22, 2011
@ All
Pls. disregard that mongrel called BEAF. He is here to further the agenda of the PDP blood sucking party.

OK, check this. . .

From BEAF
I really can't undesrtand some of the donkey comments some clowns are making
here. Do some of you think cooking for the Aso Rock is the same as simply going to
market and getting a couple of yams? In todays Nigeria where opponents are
threatening mayhem and bombs are exploding? That is idiocy!

Feeding anybody in Aso Rock is a matter of national security, and that will never
ever come cheap. Hang yourselves if you like [/b]or go lay more bombs, [b]we will shocked crush you. Yar Adua's govt spent N405.3m in normal times, in these unsecure times that, has naturally gone up to N574m. Die if you don't like it, but Aso Rock will be kept safe and GEJ will continue to be President

^
The guy is a paid PDP agent.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 22, 2011
Beaf

AGO is what i used as a case study.

this pple still import despite the fact that the product has been deregulated.

a small refinery to cater for the small demand of diesel should have been built in the last 8 years.

If this was done, i may have supported deregulation.

Im skeptical cos same thing may happen judging by the fact that Nigerians are greedy and selfish
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2011
--Beaf sits in a corner, pitying the damged low-self-esteemed waste of humanity that is mobinga. Beaf bursts into mourning for the heap of shiit--

vicade:

@beaf In naija, when costs go up, they rarely come down unless its seasonal like christmas. Secondly, when will these benefits start to be felt or seen ? 2020 perhaps ?

There is a lot that isn't functioning right in Nigeria. Ok, lets be honest, nothing functions. Lol!
But every cloud has a silver lining, the fact that nothing functions and we have to start building our country from below ground level means that practically every Nigerian is aware that the current structure of the country is faulty. We must continue our oblique journey toward true federalism by slowly removing Abuja's strings of control (NNPC is the biggest) and privatising them.

It doesn't take a magician to realise that we must edge toward structural reconstruction in such a way that we will eventually get to a tipping point where good begins to multiply good. On that day, the cost of living would not matter, because with a good system that is equitable to all, the cost of living will come crashing down.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Rhino5dm: 9:12pm On Dec 22, 2011
Peruse this thread to understand who is BEAF

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-578911.32.html
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by Beaf: 9:16pm On Dec 22, 2011
toba:

Beaf

AGO is what i used as a case study.

this pple still import despite the fact that the product has been deregulated.

a small refinery to cater for the small demand of diesel should have been built in the last 8 years.

If this was done, i may have supported deregulation.

Im skeptical cos same thing may happen judging by the fact that Nigerians are greedy and selfish

I believe people import AGO and wrongly label it as petrol in order to get the subsidy. They've got it all sewn up.
You are right that more refineries should have been built long ago, it is that wicked act of ommission that see's us where we are today, importing fuel as an oil producer and stripping the country na'ked to pay the price.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by ak2809: 9:19pm On Dec 22, 2011
Very insightful piece on the government's arguments, Please read for yourself and help share
http://aguntasolo.posterous.com/investors-are-coming
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by member479760: 9:30pm On Dec 22, 2011
FG is loosing.
Re: Post Debate Poll: Should Fuel Subsidy Be Removed? by nyxus(m): 9:38pm On Dec 22, 2011
To those saying Government should
build new refineries,I think: Sanusi gave
an excellent answer!
If you know any industry Government
has built that is currently working
properly, please mention. Government
would never succeed in running any
private enterprise so why should we
encourage Government to spend
20Billion Dollars building new
refineries.
Asides, where is the money to build new
refineries going to come from. It costs
over $4Billion dollars to build one
100,000 barrel refinery.
The other fact is that it would take at
least 4 years to build a new refinery.
For those that want the current refinery
running at full capacity, I think we are
not been reasonable enough. Can a sick
old man churn out the same quantum
of activity like a young energetic man?
Those refineries are dead sick so any
more money being churned in there
would only serve to futher erode our
scarce resources.
The only soltion is to create an enabling
environment for private sector
investors to build refineries and I think
deregulation ala subsidy removal is the
way to go!!,

Why did our heroes past made all the sacrifice like building kainji dam, national theatre etc. Now the same people that first benefited from this labour of our founding fathers are saying it is impossible for govt to manage, Ask ursef why the founding fathers did free education and all etc. LASU school fees an instance of what is coming. The poor are doomed in this country. I cry for children unborn. TRUST Trust has died with the awolowo's, azikwe's, bello's. Now they spend billions of NRN in the name of catering service!!! I am scared. They privatize and do the buying of the said institute. When all is privatize, They should remeber to privatize Aso Rock too. A government with no corporate social responsibilty their primary Role. After removal of subsidy the next president will tax fuel.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facebook Friends Slam Jonathan Over Christmas Message / Another House On Fire At Apapa, Lagos / ECOWAS Parliament Pleads For Leniency As Ekweremadu Awaits UK Court Sentence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.