Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,801 members, 7,972,865 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 08:44 PM

New Phone Scam! - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Phone Scam! (16625 Views)

12 Reasons You Really Don’t Need That New Phone / New Phone: Techno Boom J7 / If You Are Opportuned To Buy A New Phone Today, What Will It Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Phone Scam! by Switup: 2:29pm On Dec 24, 2011
afam4eva:

So, what exactly will those scammers with the credit?
[bFOOD 4OR TOT[/b] Actually want'd 2 post d same kwesion b/4 i saw urs
Re: New Phone Scam! by worm(f): 2:38pm On Dec 24, 2011
kleenmum:

Ok we ave all said your experiences but does anyone know how to block d number or rather how to stop them getting credit I also wonder what other information they can get since they have hacked into ones account,God help us o

What account?

they just send this to multiple numbers and if yours happened to be among the numbers and call back then you are a victim.

There's a programme called “email extractor” these guys just launch it through the net and it searches the information banks and 'extracts' only email addresses for them to use.

Why did i knw all these? ans: i used to run a cafe    cheesy
Re: New Phone Scam! by JimmyBoy1: 2:48pm On Dec 24, 2011
Why do we always display our creativity in dubious ventures?
Re: New Phone Scam! by Switup: 3:01pm On Dec 24, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

ANODA FOOD 4 TOT grin
Re: New Phone Scam! by Switup: 3:03pm On Dec 24, 2011
Jimmy Boy:

ANODA FOOD 4 TOT grin
Re: New Phone Scam! by N101: 3:13pm On Dec 24, 2011
worm:

What account?

they just send this to multiple numbers and if yours happened to be among the numbers and call back then you are a victim.

There's a programme called “email extractor” these guys just launch it through the net and it searches the information banks and 'extracts' only email addresses for them to use.

Why did i knw all these? ans: i used to run a cafe    cheesy

The real question here is how are these people getting hold of our details?

I am convinced that the networks are selling our numbers without our consent. That would explain why we get unwanted text messages offering us services we don't need or use.
Re: New Phone Scam! by 4Runner: 3:51pm On Dec 24, 2011
I got this text on 9th Dec when I left Lagos for the US but ignored it. On checking my balance the next day I noticed my N600 was gone.

I use MTN. Let's investigate which operator is responsible for this scam. When you type yr complain state yr Network.

Normally, for most frauds there's always an insider.
Re: New Phone Scam! by begwong: 4:09pm On Dec 24, 2011
i just deleted that text msg immediately i got it a week ago. wetin concern agbero with overload, ?
Re: New Phone Scam! by Akanbiedu(m): 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
It may be the operators scamming the customers.

N101:

I am convinced that the networks are selling our numbers without our consent. That would explain why we get unwanted text messages offering us services we don't need or use.

They don't need to get your details in this case, they just send to arbitrary numbers.
Re: New Phone Scam! by dnative(m): 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2011
It is quite straightforward how this is pulled off.  Set up a premium rate number and flash or sms some random number overseas and hope they'll call back and get charged premium rates - with the line owner sharing taking a good percentage of the call charges.  Setting up a premium rate number in most first world countries is regulated to a large extent (though not entirely fraud-free) but the same stringent process may not apply in other countries where it may be much more easier to get away with this and use for scamming arrangements.

You'll be surprised this also happens in the UK regularly but most people know better to do a quick check on the phone area code to know what sort of call charges apply when calling those suspect numbers - that's if you want to bother returning the call at in the first instance
Re: New Phone Scam! by kizito96(m): 4:41pm On Dec 24, 2011
The scam must have been set up by Nigerians
Re: New Phone Scam! by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2011
kizito96:

The scam must have been set up by Nigerians

No, it was setup by Australians. Isn't that what we do best?
Re: New Phone Scam! by Chuzzzy(m): 4:55pm On Dec 24, 2011
Since d network provider knw abt dis,wat r dy doing abt it,jux so tired of this country.take a trace,u'll find somfin in common with d scammers n d network provider.too bad
Re: New Phone Scam! by Emeka72(m): 6:20pm On Dec 24, 2011
D latest method is dat a strange no calls Me and wen I pick it, thinking its somebody calling but its a machine instead.
Re: New Phone Scam! by soloqy: 6:32pm On Dec 24, 2011
Please lets get to the bottom(or at least half way) of this.

The people that got this message, I would like to know what network you guys are using? If its all one network like MTN, then there is a case against MTN. That means they should be held liable as it must be an inside job. Its their Network and it should be secure enough to prevent random people from siphoning people's credit illegally.

Please lets know the prevalent Network that has had this problem. This is serious
Re: New Phone Scam! by Outstrip(f): 6:42pm On Dec 24, 2011
I am just laughing here because you reloaded and tried again. Come on grin grin
Re: New Phone Scam! by BasseyJ(m): 6:48pm On Dec 24, 2011
N101:

About the issue of how they get our numbers, we Nigerians are so careless with our details, i once visited a forum where a guy claimed he has a way for people to browse for free but they had to drop their numbers first, people were even droping with their names, it went on for about 30 pages with a thousand plus numbers.
Re: New Phone Scam! by mployer(m): 6:54pm On Dec 24, 2011
It is quite straightforward how this is pulled off.  Set up a premium rate number and flash or sms some random number overseas and hope they'll call back and get charged premium rates - with the line owner sharing taking a good percentage of the call charges.  Setting up a premium rate number in most first world countries is regulated to a large extent (though not entirely fraud-free) but the same stringent process may not apply in other countries where it may be much more easier to get away with this and use for scamming arrangements.

You'll be surprised this also happens in the UK regularly but most people know better to do a quick check on the phone area code to know what sort of call charges apply when calling those suspect numbers - that's if you want to bother returning the call at in the first instance

Best answer so far. Can u clarify more bros?
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 24, 2011
OP here;
I go days with my phone switched off. Chances of me getting a voice mail means it must be an important message so the reason I called to ienquire. Unfortunately I fell for it today again and spent over 900bucks of air time listen to horse shitte.
Thats the reason I posted it here on NL, to ascertain how and also to warn others.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Dec 24, 2011
[size=30pt]MTN has to refund my dough. They have a breach in their system and its not my fault! Why should I pay for it? As I type over 1500 has gone.
Next year with mobile banking in the pipeline, how can they(telecoms especially MTN) guarantee e-transactions.
These scammers are just planning big for the coming year.
Be careful![/size]
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2011
OP HERE:
I believe its disgruntled sacked staff of MTN who are behind this. The scam probly utilizes the same platform used to transfer credit between subscribers.
MTN get ready to be served!
Re: New Phone Scam! by mployer(m): 7:10pm On Dec 24, 2011
@OP, we've heard your case and similar experiences by others. but someone posted a seemingly close answer to the question but not many are paying attention to that
Re: New Phone Scam! by mployer(m): 7:12pm On Dec 24, 2011
It is quite straightforward how this is pulled off. Set up a premium rate number and flash or sms some random number overseas and hope they'll call back and get charged premium rates - with the line owner sharing taking a good percentage of the call charges. Setting up a premium rate number in most first world countries is regulated to a large extent (though not entirely fraud-free) but the same stringent process may not apply in other countries where it may be much more easier to get away with this and use for scamming arrangements.

@Op read this
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 24, 2011
m-ployer:

@OP, we've heard your case and similar experiences by others. but someone posted a seemingly close answer to the question but not many are paying attention to that
pls elaborate. I believe MTN needs to be held responsible.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:16pm On Dec 24, 2011
so basically, u mean the disparity in call rates makes this possible? I dont agree, Its sophisticated beyound making random calls. The message centre is a corporate or hot line number set up to bill you automatically as you call.
Come to think of it, the sao-tome telecom host maybe hosting a fraud line without knowing it and i bet i know who is behind this.
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 24, 2011
Come to think of it, the sao-tome telecom host maybe hosting a fraud line without knowing it and i bet i know who is behind this . The MTN targeting however reinforces my belief that disgruntled staff may have STOLEN mtn directory. To think that with all the bio-metrics now, these guys are going to make it big time selling all that info to the CIA
Re: New Phone Scam! by mployer(m): 7:26pm On Dec 24, 2011
@OP  there are networks in Nigeria that give  bonus for received calls. I believe the premium numbers talked about are such numbers where the owner of the line gets some bonus for receiving calls: in this case a higher percentage!
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 24, 2011
m-ployer:

@OP  there are networks in Nigeria that give  bonus for received calls. I believe the premium numbers talked about are such numbers where the owner of the line gets some bonus for receiving calls: in this case a higher percentage!

but how do you explain the automotive voice ?
Re: New Phone Scam! by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 24, 2011
robot voice*
Re: New Phone Scam! by omnitrix: 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2011
for christ sakes, cant we channel all these negative intelligence to something more productive.we're always thinking of the next scam to get someone else's doe into our pockets.we are just a consuming nation,never putting a thought to producing anything.its indeed a shame.i have been in several types of crowds and the talk of a revolution is discussed in hush hush tones, its imminent my people.cos i agree that every country has its share of crooks,but its my personal believe that ours is borne out of the need to survive, a revolution is imminent,or else how can u explain a president that budgets almost a billion for feeding for him and his deputy, well it beats me, o ma she ooo
Re: New Phone Scam! by soloqy: 7:54pm On Dec 24, 2011
m-ployer:

The issue here is that if all the people that have been victims of this scam are using one network, then there is a case against the said network. Even if a network gives you a bonus for received calls, like Etisalat does(am not sure MTN has that), they dont just siphone all the money from the callers account whether its premium number like you suggested or not.
Secondly, the system that dnative suggested, operates under a totally different system, country and codes, so there is no way a local network can(or should) allow that as it doesnt benefit the local network in anyway.
Re: New Phone Scam! by dnative(m): 9:00pm On Dec 24, 2011
Chaps it's more premium rate charges and unlikely to be a scam by the local Telco. Note these numbers are not local Nigerian numbers.
Try Google a random 0906 UK number and dial this - watch how quickly your credit disappears!  Calls to these lines are typically charged at £1.25 or much more per min.  Bear in mind that it is strictly the responsibility of the bill payer to find out the applicable call charges (and also read the small print) for a number before dialing.

Interconnect charges are already pre-established by your local Telco to most other Telcos (directly or indirectly) around the world.  For countries with less transparent premium rate charges and possibly no standard cap on the maximum charges, it would be possible for an unscrupulous person to set up a 'premium rate service' with a very high associated charges, agree a revenue sharing model with their local telco (overseas telco in this case) and target people outside the local operating area (or country) to try and get them to call these numbers.  When you dial these numbers, your local telco (MTN, Airtel etc) are still obliged to route your call as usual and depending on what it costs them to actually terminate your call to this overseas premium rate numbers, will in turn charge you accordingly.  I don't think they really have any jurisdiction with regards to determining if local callers to premium rate numbers overseas are being ripped off or not - that would be the job of the local enforcement agencies in the country where such premium rate number operators are running.

The best approach really is - if you receive an sms or a missed call from a strange foreign number asking you to ring back, don't bother. If it is really important and someone you know, they will leave a message that makes sense for you to be able to determine whether the call is worth returning or not.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Beauty Of The Infinix Zero 4 / TECNO SPARK 3 Wins (AITTA) Phone Of The Year Award / Easiest Way To Schedule Text Messages To Send At A Later Date

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.