Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,605 members, 7,888,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 06:48 PM

5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 (8946 Views)

The 10 Best Nigerian Albums Of 2015 / Most Highly Anticipated Albums Of 2016 / Top Ten Hit Tracks Of 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by pckid: 7:24pm On Dec 23, 2011
It is the end of the year and in our tradition at @QMarkMag, we present 5+1 disappointing albums of the year.

Darey – Double dare
One thing that haunts the beautiful music Darey makes his an almost ‘desperate’ desire to be commercial, to be pop. Maybe understandably following rumours of his debut album running down an initially excited marketer when the supposed in-demand CD didn’t move units as expected. Most of the records he has made along this line have always fallen flat and sometimes saved by the visual alone. Darey croons melodiously but shouldn’t dare with pop records that scream ‘I want that mass appeal bad’. Double dare CD carries gems, a result of hardwork but overall, Darey doesn’t deliver a masterpiece.

Terry G – Terry G’zus
Nothingness! This year it didn’t pay off and so it would be next year. Might just be time for Terry G’zus to return to the ‘love you sexy’ days. Disjointed al, read more: http://questionmarkmag.com/2011/12/5-disappionting-albums-of-2011/comment-page-1/#comment-12587

Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by MeGaStReEt: 9:07pm On Dec 23, 2011
Kas get album??
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by mercenaryx(m): 10:07am On Dec 26, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

Kas get album??

lol,
As for the worst album of 2011, I think no album is as bad as being in such position, But if Danfo Drivers by any chance release any album this year then they should be give a thousand of the ward and also in eons to come.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 10:25am On Dec 26, 2011
Guy for including P-square and Naeto C, i think your website should be shut down, i dont like naija music anyways, but on naija grades and levels, those two are the bomb this year
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by IbroSaunks(m): 10:29am On Dec 26, 2011
naeto-cs album was bad?? are they serioius
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 26, 2011
[size=15pt]Truth be told, albums don't sell in Nigeria and the few ones sold goes to the pirates. Artistes make most of their income from Shows and concerts.[/size]
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by medidress: 10:54am On Dec 26, 2011
You are so dumb, please Naeto C and P-square are the bomb. cool
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Hablad47(m): 11:06am On Dec 26, 2011
Peepz!kindly help me click on d link below,like d story in it.u can also help invite ur frnd by copyn nd update d link as ur status for friends to like it.tanx as u dnt feel less concern.here is d link
www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=319585604732340&id=158495220841380&refid=20&_ft_a=100001547612636&_ft_tf=319585604732340&_ft_tpi=158495220841380&_ft_ti=100&_ft_aoi=158495220841380&_ft_fth=5e1cd21ac484a8de&_ft_time_ft=1324858091
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by lalaboi(m): 12:03pm On Dec 26, 2011
Half agree wiv the list
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by TomFord: 12:28pm On Dec 26, 2011
I beg to differ.Darey has good vocals that meet international standards,because his album is not commercially viable by your standards it is then a disappointing album?

As for p-square,you are so wrong
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by born2boink(m): 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2011
E be like say the poster no get DvD/CD or laptop for house, na cafe him dey go cos for him to add Psquare and Naeto C into this, I think he need medical check up
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Cogito(m): 1:06pm On Dec 26, 2011
I was a bit shocked by the inclusion of Neato C but the only other one I listened to on that list was Darey's album. I have to agree with the sentiments of the OP. I really think Darey tries too hard to be commercial, he's got a beautiful soul voice but, in my opinion at least, pop doesn't really suit him.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by toydollar: 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2011
I need A̶̲̥̅̊ babe d@ wil stay wit me oº°˚!
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by emmy04(m): 1:15pm On Dec 26, 2011
WHO BE THIS "FOOOOOOOL" WEY INCLUDE PSQUARE AND NAETO.C HERE? GUY CHECK UR DickTIONARY FOR THE MEANING OF "DISAPPOINTING" . even Darey and Bracket shouldnt be there.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Fimmy(m): 2:13pm On Dec 26, 2011
the website doesnt know anything about Nigeria Music, why will psquare and Neato C be there.?
still surprise Kas has an album
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2011
The OP and whoever he got this info from are all attention seekers. Blawdy playa hatterz, Bracket and p square are my men and i play their songs all night long. So Op take your sorry brains and go shove it up your a$$
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by chux76(m): 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2011
P SQUARE & NAETO C Poster where did u get your UNCONFIRMED report, poster if you know how P SQUARE album dey sell for north,u go trash dis ur report, not to talk of the way its blasting in Lagos when it was released.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by seankay(m): 4:52pm On Dec 26, 2011
Let's face it,p square's album is disappointing,D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ sang ℓƔK D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ were upcoming.i can only pick 2 tracks.i dislyk 4eva
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by safarigirl(f): 5:17pm On Dec 26, 2011
Poster has to be high on Alumo and ogogoro mixed with burukutu ǡŋ₫ Ǟ dash ☺₣ weed.

Naeto C's album was the ish with my personal favs 'Share my blessings'ft. Asa, '5 ǡŋ₫ 6', 'Super C Season' ǡŋ₫ 'ten over ten' the guy killed it! His best album yet IMHO

Ǡŋ₫ P square,though I didn't like some ☺₣ the music on the album I later fell in love with 'em. I have Ǟ list of favs:
Forever
Beautiful (onyinye)
Asamkpokoto
Bunie Ya Enu
Chop my money ft. May D
Do as I Do ft. May Ƌ ǡŋ₫ Tiwa Savage.

These songs have massive airplay ǡŋ₫ can be heard in every street you turn.

Wack thesis by the poster, re-do your research
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by freecocoa(f): 6:44pm On Dec 26, 2011
Psquare?
Bracket?
Naeto C?
OP you must be high on conterminated water. Like seriously,have you listened to songs from these artistes this year? Duuuhhh.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Ejine(m): 2:05am On Dec 27, 2011
I honestly thought the P-Square album was monotonous and no different from their previous efforts.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by crissmac: 2:51am On Dec 27, 2011
what exactly was the criteria u used in judging an album bad/disappointing? and how come ice prince is not on that list?
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 4:44am On Dec 27, 2011
Tom Ford:
I beg to differ.Darey has good vocals that meet international standards,because his album is not commercially viable by your standards it is then a disappointing album?

As for p-square,you are so wrong

I just spat out my drink from laughter. I thought you said Darey has good vocals that meet international standards lol.

I see some of you need to open your ears. P-Square's "Invasion" was nothing special. This is coming from a hardcore P-Square fan who has purchased their albums and attended shows. Na my disclaimer message before someone calls me a hater. They are veterans, if you will, in the Nigerian music industry. They are undeniably talented and excellent performers. So, it's high time for them to make music that says so. "Beautiful Onyinye", one of the best tracks on that album, sounds like "No One Like You". Abi? They aren't that great vocally, and they don't have to be. I wish they made music that said "We are P-Square and we're here to stay". No track on "Invasion" made that statement. I don't see any of those songs becoming classics the way "Bizzy Body", "No One Like You" and others have. P-Square = redundancy. Massive airplay doesn't make them great. I still love them though and wish their next album is stronger.

The problem with music of today, in general, is that artists release hit songs but lousy albums. "Beautiful Onyinye", "Girl" feat. Wizkid, and "10/10" were all awesome pop songs. I agree with visuals "saving" some of Darey's tracks. "Ba Ni Kidi" is alright but the video is top class. Flavour also saved Darey's nyansh with that remix to "Sisi Eko", because the original is absolute rubbish. I don't care for Terry G's stuff too much, apart from "Baby Don't Go", and I'm just learning Kas released an album this year sef lol. Bracket's "Cupid Stories" was an improvement from "Least Expected". I still think "Me & U" and "Remember" feat. 2 Baba are ten times better than "Yori Yori"; also, "Girl" took a lot of listeners by surprise. They've got a lot of growing to do as they're still small boys in the industry. If judging that album individually, call it what you want. It could definitely be better as some tracks are questionable (Bro Wale) lol, but based on their past efforts? They're stepping up and that's as obvious as a Sikh man for catholic church. As for the rest? They deserve to be on that list because they fell short of their own standards.

Was there a solid album in 2011? An album that you could listen to from front to back? Back to front? There were amazing singles released, but I can't name an excellent album. Our artists need to grow lyrically and musically. All artists do. I won't list names but a lot of them are simply hype with two tracks, three if you're lucky, they're pushing to sell an entire album.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by ortopazz(m): 5:58am On Dec 27, 2011
ogugua88:

I see some of you need to open your ears. P-Square's "Invasion" was nothing special. This is coming from a hardcore P-Square fan who has purchased their albums and attended shows. Na

big bro am a die hard psquare fan too, ya mite b wat i xpected wasn't wat the gave me afterall, but until now where am stayin i get woken up by those twins songs here in our Neigbourhod, so i beg to differ that it was a bad album, this poster is seriously ill.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 6:50am On Dec 27, 2011
@ Op, this is for u, directly quoted from Forbes magazine : 35. P-Square, 29, Nigerian, Musicians

The Nigerian R&B duo attained continental superstardom with romance-laced lyrics and Michael Jackson-styled dance moves. The identical twin brothers released their 5th studio album,The Invasion” in July this year to critical acclaim. The album reportedly went platinum within eight weeks. Their 2009 album, Danger, has sold close to nine million copies worldwide. The music video for their hit song, “No one like you” has been viewed over 10 million times on YouTube- a top record for any Nigerian artist.

Pay attention on bold
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:08am On Dec 27, 2011
odiaero:
@ Op, this is for u, directly quoted from Forbes magazine : 35. P-Square, 29, Nigerian, Musicians

The Nigerian R&B duo attained continental superstardom with romance-laced lyrics and Michael Jackson-styled dance moves. The identical twin brothers released their 5th studio album,The Invasion” in July this year to critical acclaim. The album reportedly went platinum within eight weeks. Their 2009 album, Danger, has sold close to nine million copies worldwide. The music video for their hit song, “No one like you” has been viewed over 10 million times on YouTube- a top record for any Nigerian artist.

Pay attention on bold

No one is arguing that P-Square is not great. What's up for discussion is "The Invasion" and its quality among other albums.

With that said, I give this example. Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" is tied with Michael Jackson's "Bad" for having the most number one singles off an album: five. Do you like "Teenage Dream"? Can you call it better than anything Michael Jackson has released? Can you believe that a talented songwriter and guitarist like John Mayer with Grammy Award-winning songs like "Say" and "Gravity" has never had a song chart the top ten on the US Billboard Top 100 but someone as noisy and pinchomic as Justin Bieber has reached number five?! Lol. That's why I said all artists need to grow lyrically and musically. We coddle and glorify mediocrity globally. Why Speed Darlington and Vic O get so much attention is unbeknownst to me.

Before I digress, musicians as a whole can do better. P-Square included. Most people bought P-Square's album because of who they are. There are a lot of disappointments in that album. You have to critique albums beyond units sold.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 27, 2011
^^ An album that went platinum within eight weeks, what do u call that, Failed album? i dont think so
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 27, 2011
Because Converse All-Stars shoes sell out every year does not make the shoe a good wear. The shoe is popular as many people have it on their feet. Is the shoe comfortable? No, because one's feet hurt after wearing such flat shoes. That's called commercial success. P-Square's album sold, only for a lot of fans to find the album a disappointment, especially compared to their past work.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 27, 2011
^^ Now that is a big lie, u dont buy what u have not listen to
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 27, 2011
I know some Nigerians are not too familiar with purchasing albums. What usually happens, however, is you hear one or two fresh singles from an anticipated album, and then buy the album if you like what you've heard so far. Believe it or not, some of us only hear 30-45 seconds of tracks before deciding to purchase or not. Believe me when I say "The Invasion" sold because P-Square released it. They're one of the few Nigerian acts that can actually sell albums, regardless of whether it's been heard or not.
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 27, 2011
^^ The music was all over the net, like five tracks. Infact most people go to buy the album after hearing it from their friend(s), so the album was a Pass
Re: 5 Disappointing Albums Of 2011 by Nobody: 7:47am On Dec 27, 2011
Lol. People heard "Forever" and "Bunie Ya Enu" and PRAYED that those songs would not dictate the rest of "The Invasion" because they were substandard. P-Square's name and status in the industry had a lot to do with those sales. Trust.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Olamide YBNL Album Review + Album Download / Kcee – Dance Ft. Phyno (Video) / I Need Free Online Gospel Music Download Sites Like 4shared And Esnips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.