Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,784 members, 7,898,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 07:29 PM

Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada (21535 Views)

Fashola Made Me A Proud Grandfather- Tinubu / Zahra Buhari Becomes Laughing Stock On Twitter, See Why. [photos] / PDP Has Made Ribadu A Laughing Stock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 11:59pm On Dec 24, 2011
Derailment has been engaged yet again . . . . . .  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

As Toronto trainspotters gleefully take maiden rides on the TTC’s Rocket, commuters in Lagos, Nigeria may be about to get some new trains of their own. Our old ones.

[size=13pt]A TTC spokesperson has confirmed that the commission is negotiating with a private group to sell up to 260 used train cars to the West African megacity’s new transit project. [/size]

“I can confirm that the TTC is in discussion with a third party that wants to purchase trains for Lagos,” said commission spokesperson Brad Ross. “Over a period of time, they will be taken out of service and then transported over to Nigeria.”

The cars being considered for sale are the TTC’s old H-5 and H-6 models, which will be decommissioned as the TTC rolls out its new fleet of Rockets. Ross predicts the earliest they could be shipped to Nigeria is sometime in 2012.

Traffic snarls are already a major economic problem in the Nigerian capital, a booming city that will reach an estimated population of 25 million by 2015. A new above-ground rail system designed to carry 1.5 million people a day has already broken ground, and Lagos Governor Babtunde Fashola has said it “will be the most multi-dimensional and most impactful” of the government’s efforts to reduce traffic congestion.

Fashola visited Toronto earlier this year to inspect the TTC trains.

The Lagos deal would be the first of its kind for the TTC. Decommissioned cars are usually sold for scrap metal and can fetch up to $1,500 dollar each. While Ross declined to discuss specific figures,[size=13pt] he says the sticker price for Lagos is “significantly more” than scrap prices, putting the potential profits to the TTC in the millions of dollars. [/size]

It is not unusual for technology from western nations to end up in poorer countries. [size=13pt]Marketplaces in Africa and Asia are flooded with North American clothes, computers, and even cars, but the purchase of larger technology like trains is rarer.[/size] 

. . . . . .[size=13pt] Although half the cars are more than 30 years old, Ross is adamant they are perfectly safe and are only being decommissioned for capacity reasons. But he also admitted the TTC is not required to make sure the cars meet any safety standards before selling them.[/size]

“Once sold, it’s up to the new operator to ensure they are in good working order,” he said.[size=13pt] “They do need to be maintained much more frequently than the new trains, simply because of their age. At some point they will run out their useful life.”[/size]

The writer of this piece just went for the jugular!!!  sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EzeUche(m): 12:04am On Dec 25, 2011
This is not very smart on the part of Fashola.

The cost of maintaining this fleet is going to be a burden on the city of Lagos. They are over 30 years old. Fashola should have bought new cars.

He got ripped off and everyone is laughing at him.

Prudent my arse.   grin grin grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EzeUche(m): 12:06am On Dec 25, 2011
He should of asked Innoson Motors to provide him with affordable train cars. grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by tpia5: 12:06am On Dec 25, 2011
you people are just rolling drunkenly from one yoruba public figure to the other.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by NegroNtns(m): 12:08am On Dec 25, 2011
This is first time we will have such infrastructure operating in Nigeria.  Rather than buying a 2012 model benz for the 17yr old new driver in the family, it makes sense, plenty of sense to pass down the family"s 1984 V boot mercedes to the young teenager.  It will provide an experimental and developmental challenge from which he/she can mature into trendy models of Mercedes Benz.  

Kobo start talking like you got some sense, instead of just arguing blindly!    cheesy
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 12:13am On Dec 25, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

This is first time we will have such infrastructure operating in Nigeria.  Rather than buying a 2012 model benz for the 17yr old new driver in the family, it makes sense, plenty of sense to pass down the family"s 1984 V boot mercedes to the young teenager.  It will provide an experimental and developmental challenge from which he/she can mature into trendy models of Mercedes Benz.  

Kobo start talking like you got some sense, instead of just arguing blindly!    cheesy

You may want to first take your own advice there. Start talking like you got some sense instead of jumping in and arguing blindly like the many arses before you.

No one here has stated that it is absolutely out of the question to buy used. People buy used or refurbished items here daily. You are about the third numbskull I am having to inform on that here today.

Now when you go buying used, you do however need to ensure that what you are purchasing, you will more than surely get your money's worth out of. I gave several analogies on this -- will not repeat myself -- not even for you.  Go back, do some actually reading of up on what has been discussed so far, before coming to rant like another market woman in heat.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 12:16am On Dec 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You may want to first take your own advice there. Start talking like you got some sense instead of jumping in and arguing blindly like the many arses before you.

No one here has stated that it is absolutely out of the question to buy used. People buy used or refurbished items here daily. You are about the third numbskull I am having to inform on that here today.

Now when you go buying used, you do however need to ensure that what you are purchasing, you will more than surely get your money's worth out of. I gave several analogies on this -- will not repeat myself -- not even for you. Go back, do some actually reading up of the discussing so far before coming to rant like another market woman in heat.

But can you please tell us what they need to do to get their money's worth? Please.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EzeUche(m): 12:19am On Dec 25, 2011
Look at the Yoruba protect their own like lemmings.

I see no difference between them and the aboki.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by NegroNtns(m): 12:22am On Dec 25, 2011
I gave several analogies on this -- will not repeat myself -- not even for you

Oh, dear Kobo, now I'm heartbroken. . . . .  cry   You dont love me anymore. . . .  cry cry cry  You wont even spend an extra two hours to replay what I missed in your story. . . .   cry cry cry cry cry cry

If I was governor of Ohio or Chicago, wherever you are,  I will send for state patrol to march you downriver to Mississippi.   grin
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by NegroNtns(m): 12:26am On Dec 25, 2011
Look at the Yoruba protect their own like lemmings.

I see no difference between them and the aboki.

Eze, me chionu! angry Why are you and your ibo brethrens ungrateful? Looking left and right for vulnerabilities to exploit. Fashola is far better than all Eastern govs put together. . . . . you all leave the guy alone, we love him! We love all our Governors in West.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ektbear: 1:06am On Dec 25, 2011
At those who are suggesting the purchase of new cars.

Wouldn't this raise the price of fare on the train beyond that of your typical Lagosian?

It simply is unrealistic to suggest this.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by dayokanu(m): 1:14am On Dec 25, 2011
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Genius100: 2:47am On Dec 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Now when you go buying used, you do however need to ensure that what you are purchasing, you will more than surely get your money's worth out of. I gave several analogies on this -- will not repeat myself -- not even for you.  Go back, do some actually reading of up on what has been discussed so far, before coming to rant like another market woman in heat.

This ignoramus turned village i-diot  has come again;  I seriously believe you should be checked into an assylum. What proof do you have the Lagos state will not get thier money's worth? Canada is getting rid of the train for capacity reasons, meaning they need bigger ones. These are fully functional train that are easier to maintain than newer ones,  So what exactly are arguing allover the place like a raving lunatic for? I firmly believe one of the Naija boys in Columbus or wherever you live needs to step up and give you a stiff one so you can stop taking out your horniness frustration on the Nairaland masses,
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Kobojunkie: 11:32am On Dec 25, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Eze, me chionu! angry Why are you and your ibo brethrens ungrateful? Looking left and right for vulnerabilities to exploit. [b]Fashola is far better than all Eastern govs put togethe[/b]r. . . . . you all leave the guy alone, we love him! We love all our Governors in West.

Also try to stick to just that which you are able to back up .
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by lucabrasi(m): 1:56pm On Dec 25, 2011
@topic
nigerians never cease to amaze me,as usual we leave the more serious to blindly tackle the sublime

in a state where the roads are virtual death traps
in a state where there are thrice the number of inhabitants using facilities
in a state where the main mode of transportation is the road
the man at least makes available an alternative and they are talking about it being used

why do nigerians patronise second hand clothes market in yaba and other areas when galleria,the palms and other boutiques selling brand new designers abound??
the canadians are totally right to make fun of us having their used trains,but we are not only using their used trains also their used cars,their used clothes their used generators in fact their used anything that can fit into a container like OYB said in the first page of this thread HOLD YOUR CLUELESS GEJ RESPONSIBLE AND STOP DENIGRATING A MAN WHO IS TRYING TO USE THE LIMITED RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO HIM TO MAKE THINGS BETTER FOR LAGOSIANS!

i have seen people trekking more than 30/40/50 miles on a daily basis due to an inability to get a bus as recent as last year with okadas charging an arm and a leg
bus drivers charge people exorbitantly because they know majority of the commuters don't have a choice same as okada drivers

i would rather sit comfortably in a fairly used tram and get to my destination than thumb my nose at it and continue trekking almost 80miles on a daily basis
if you haven't worked in a man's shoes it is eminently difficult for you to theorise where it pinches,
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by dckng16(m): 2:03pm On Dec 25, 2011
That is dehumanising.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 2:17pm On Dec 25, 2011
eko ni bajeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheesy cheesy cheesy

bloody African monkeys cool cool i hate our leaders,i hate African mentality,i hate injustice in Africa angry angry
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by aloyemeka1: 2:22pm On Dec 25, 2011
lucabrasi:

@topic
nigerians never cease to amaze me,as usual we leave the more serious to blindly tackle the sublime

in a state where the roads are virtual death traps
in a state where there are thrice the number of inhabitants using facilities
in a state where the main mode of transportation is the road
the man at least makes available an alternative and they are talking about it being used

why do nigerians patronise second hand clothes market in yaba and other areas when galleria,the palms and other boutiques selling brand new designers abound??
the canadians are totally right to make fun of us having their used trains,but we are not only using their used trains also their used cars,their used clothes their used generators in fact their used anything that can fit into a container like OYB said in the first page of this thread HOLD YOUR CLUELESS GEJ RESPONSIBLE AND STOP DENIGRATING A MAN WHO IS TRYING TO USE THE LIMITED RESOURCES AVAILABLE TO HIM TO MAKE THINGS BETTER FOR LAGOSIANS!

i have seen people trekking more than 30/40/50 miles on a daily basis due to an inability to get a bus as recent as last year with okadas charging an arm and a leg
bus drivers charge people exorbitantly because they know majority of the commuters don't have a choice same as okada drivers

i would rather sit comfortably in a fairly used tram and get to my destination than thumb my nose at it and continue trekking almost 80miles on a daily basis
if you haven't worked in a man's shoes it is eminently difficult for you to theorise where it pinches,

Because our GDP is very poor and we cannot afford to buy those things new like westerners. Is it a crime to be poor again?.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by dckng16(m): 2:31pm On Dec 25, 2011
A Very BIG crime for a country like Nigeria, Even Lagos.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 2:39pm On Dec 25, 2011
Bunch of criminals, crooks and dummies,why purchasing a scrap metal cars used during the cold war? abeg continue, merry x mas  cheesy cheesy cheesy this one na dead traps grin hope they have converted it from coal to electric muheehehehehe cool
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Princek12(m): 2:44pm On Dec 25, 2011
Buying trains that are about 30 years old is an imprudent, risky investment. There are several reasons that caution against buying those trains: cost of maintaining the trains, metal fatigue, age, outdated technology, etc. This is a stewpid buy. Thumbs down for Fashola on this one.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2011
ak47mann:

Bunch of criminals, crooks and dummies,why purchasing a scrap metal cars used during the cold war?so that yaribas will claim they got trains transport in Lagos,what a bunch of dunces,Yoruba ACN just using tax payers money to feed themselves fat while eko ile and co suffer in abject poverty,those Canadian company will be rolling on the ground as soon as those greedy monkeys left their office grin grin

WTF bring some old as cars to consume poor Lagosians,life worth nothing to these fools
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by olafolarin(m): 2:53pm On Dec 25, 2011
The article was a paid job to ribbish the lofty project.
30 year old coaches undergoing refurbishment in US might not be needed in Canada but is most desired in Lagos,Nigeria.
The Toronto Authorities replaced their"old" trains with new one.There is nothing wrong in Fashola buying them.
We need to consider the manageability of the trains.
The old TTC trains are run by inbuilt generators just like Germany's Regional Trains while brabd new trains run on Gas.
LASG made the right decision buying those trains in Canada to be refurbished in U.S. which IMO will still be operational for the next 2 decades.
We need something to start on.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by manny4life(m): 2:54pm On Dec 25, 2011
Nigerians haven't been on trains before let alone figuring out how riding in a 30year car looks like, they shouldn't worry they will feel the heat soon. Trains that are constantly breaking down as they age, I laugh in Swahili because they who supported for it is about to be against it,
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by Basseti: 2:59pm On Dec 25, 2011
Its not really a jump out of ur chair moment if Fashola is going for used vehicles. Thats the modus operandi of Nigerians, we are professionals at recycling.
Lack of funds is  a  major limiting factor in purchasing new ones. However, at least the guy dey try for him state.

There are two issues for me here:

1) Did he know he would have gotten the vehicles at a much cheaper price? If he had done enough research, he might have gotten those stuff for real cheap especially if they are going to scrap anyways.

2) Since this is a state thing, does he have a long term plan for lagos transit and how does this short term move fit into the general picture. Simply put, how long does he think that those vehicles will last on the road before the transit system start raising enough money to gradually replace these vehicles with newer models.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:10pm On Dec 25, 2011
Basseti:

Its not really a jump out of your chair moment if Fashola is going for used vehicles. Thats the modus operandi of Nigerians, we are professionals at recycling.
Lack of funds is  a  major limiting factor in purchasing new ones. However, at least the guy dey try for him state.

There are two issues for me here:

1) Did he know he would have gotten the vehicles at a much cheaper price? If he had done enough research, he might have gotten those stuff for real cheap especially if they are going to scrap anyways.

2) Since this is a state thing, does he have a long term plan for lagos transit and how does this short term move fit into the general picture. Simply put, how long does he think that those vehicles will last on the road before the transit system start raising enough money to gradually replace these vehicles with newer models.

Used and refurbished are 2 different things

Refurbished means updated to perform like New.

The only issue here is the fact that people are as usual very ignorant and are running their mouth about what they know nothing about.

These are the facts,

1. The company handling the project sourced the trains from Canada and Fashola went to Canada to make sure the Company is bringing in good and safe trains to Lagos and after seeing the trains and in what shape they'll be before getting shipped to Lagos, he gave the go ahead.

2. There is a huge difference between used and refurbished.

3. These are refurbished trains retrofitted to function like new trains with even better modifications than when they were new off the plant.

Each of a TTC cars come versed with air conditioning, involuntary shifting doors, solid-state traction control, appetite saving regenerative braking, as good as a far-reaching operation of complicated reserve comforts as good as amenities. Once versed with a state-of-the-art, GPS-based sight carry out complement done by General Electric, Eko Rail’s trains will yield faster, safer, cheaper as good as some-more arguable travel for Lagosians.

As a electric-powered cars turn over-abundance as good as have been pulled offline in Toronto, they will be away trucked to a United States for a rebuilding by a group of world-class rail engineers. The cars will additionally bear track-width (or “gauge”) acclimatisation as good as interior refurbishment prior to being shipped to Lagos.

http://autofinancetoronto.com/eko-rails-trains-begin-journey-to-lagos/

We are looking at almost new and better trains by the time they get to Lagos. Even better than when they were first built.

I don't know why it's so hard for many of you to stop being intellectually lazy, do a little digging at least to educate yourself and don't stop with just the need to do the usual pointless and uneducated criticism routine.

There's got to be other good qualities in you people other than the same uneducated ramblings like goats.
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 3:11pm On Dec 25, 2011
EKO NIBAJEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  grin grin grin once the locomotive is converted from coal to electric,it will serve them mmmmmmmhh 4 yrs, by then na rocks dey go use to stop the train cheesy
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:13pm On Dec 25, 2011
ak47mann:

EKO NIBAJEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  grin grin grin once the locomotive is converted from coal to electric,it will serve them mmmmmmmhh 4 yrs, by then na rocks dey go use to stop the train cheesy

AGIPA boy.

Don't you have some fake AGIPA metro rail to show us with stolen internet picture?

lmao

419 people

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by nevosys(m): 3:14pm On Dec 25, 2011
can someone in canada show us the pictures of the said scrap mental trains?
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by lifestyle1(m): 3:18pm On Dec 25, 2011
[size=17pt]I DON'T CARE!!! tongue[/size]
Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by ak47mann(m): 3:21pm On Dec 25, 2011
ok here is the pix

EKO NI BAJEOOOOOOOOOO

Fired up and ready to go. Spring Steam Gala 8th March 2011

Re: Gov. Fashola Made A Laughing Stock Of Lagos In Canada by EkoIle1: 3:24pm On Dec 25, 2011
ak47mann:

ok here is the pix

EKO NI BAJEOOOOOOOOOO

Oloshi. You are even too incompetent to pull off your 419 move.

Lazy AGIPA CLOWN,

LMAO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ajimobi, Ambode, Alaafin, Others Insist On Restructuring / Malami: We Were Right To Hold Sowore, Dasuki Despite Court Orders / Boko Haram Retakes Bosso, Niger Republic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.