Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,923 members, 7,909,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 04:35 AM

The NBA Begins - Sports (1591) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The NBA Begins (1692045 Views)

Two Nigerian Players In The NBA Finals / Miami Heats Wins The NBA Final / Unbelievable! Kobe Bryant The Nba Player Of The Decade: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1588) (1589) (1590) (1591) (1592) (1593) (1594) ... (2268) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBA Begins by etidy: 10:09am On Sep 25, 2020
Doc rivers is a good coach, he's definitely not elite.
He has had several good teams with the clippers and can't even make a conference final.

I have at least Eric spo, nick nurse, Greg popovich, Rick Carlisle, Steve Kerr, Brad Steven's ahead of him

And right now Mike Malone is also doing a better job

Afr0mentalist:

It does not make him an average coach though. Rivers is elite.

If anything the Coaching cast around him is too loaded.. how can you have almost 3 first teams coaches in the same bench and not lead to conflicting opinions and strategies and some form of lethargy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:01am On Sep 25, 2020
SmooshCHN:
I love the Nuggets but let's be realistic. You really think the Lakers will blow a 3-1 lead? You think the NBA will allow it? You think the refs will allow it?
Remember when the Warriors became the first team to blow a 3-1 lead in the finals? grin
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 11:03am On Sep 25, 2020
etidy:
He has had several good teams with the clippers and can't even make a conference final.

I have at least Eric spo, nick nurse, Greg popovich, Rick Carlisle, Steve Kerr, Brad Steven's ahead of him

Doc Rivers is overrated AF! He built his career on one championship. The man has consistently underachieved and is notorious for not making adjustments and blowing leads whether its during games or during series.
Re: The NBA Begins by Afr0mentalist: 1:24pm On Sep 25, 2020
SmooshCHN:
I love the Nuggets but let's be realistic. You really think the Lakers will blow a 3-1 lead? You think the NBA will allow it? You think the refs will allow it?
So now the new excuse is the arbitration ?
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 25, 2020
Afr0mentalist:

So now the new excuse is the arbitration ?

The Lakers have to blow teams out to even get any semblance of credit. Since the playoffs started any close game that went to th Lakers was blamed on officiating. Shameless bunch.
Re: The NBA Begins by Afr0mentalist: 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2020
WeissVonner:

The Lakers have to blow teams out to even get any semblance of credit. Since the playoffs started any close game that went to th Lakers was blamed on officiating. Shameless bunch.
even if they do blow out, people go say the teams were weak, or it is the bubble, or some bullshitt

Haters can’t help but hate bro

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Let me get it straight u blame the players when it comes to white coaches but on the other hand the black coaches are the problem?
I like that you're coming here from outer space to authoritatively conclude on what you don't know about. Where were you when we were defending Dwayne Casey for getting fired fully aware that DeRozan's choking cost him his job?

BascoVanVeli:

Make no mistake Doc Rivers is an absolute legend. Even what he did last year with an 8th seed was absolutely incredible. U sound crazy even questioning Doc. Should he win every championship before u know he is the man? If a team beats u 3 times straight that should tell u they are not average. If a team does it twice.....
Whether he is a legend or not is immaterial and hardly germane to the debate. What he did last year was commendable but to whom much is given much is expected. He failed woefully this season and he has failed woefully in the past with quality rosters. He was the ultimate enabler in a Clippers squad that lacked discipline and were inconsistent from start to finish. To the point where his players felt comfortable talking nonsense to another opposing coach like him. It is this lack of accountability that transferred to the court with players like Patrick Beverley and Marcus Morris

BascoVanVeli:

Imagine having a championship and people making noise. Why wasn't this same noise made about George Karl who has won over 1000 games without a trophy?
I challenge you to name one team George Karl underperformed with and was not promptly fired. Any team he got as much rope as Doc. Just one

BascoVanVeli:

Bud had Joe Johnson and Josh Smith. He just couldn't get the best out of those guys when it mattered. We have seen Josh win games for Harden in Houston and Joe is quality. Yea bud lost to LeBron but he never competed. U are number one seeds for a reason. So it's not like that team was so much better for them just to roll over every single time.
Where did you see coach Bud have Joe Johnson and Josh Smith for the Hawks? Lol stop smoking woolies

BascoVanVeli:

Mark Jackson played point guard for the new York Knicks how does he not know Xs and Os? He made the splash brothers. He gave that team the confidence to do what they do today. The only complain was religion as he is a pastor.
Can you say it with a straight face that that Warriors team would have reached this level with Mark Jackson at the helm. Let's see if you can be honest

BascoVanVeli:

U keep talking about one off situations when the NBA is majority black. Why on Earth should black people not get a good number of the jobs? We don't reduce the number of white coaches when a white coach messes up so why now?
Do you have majority black coaches? Abeg stop endorsing nepotism. If a competent black coach is being sidelined we will point it out. Why do you want handouts?

I won't sit and defend an underperforming black coach just because he is black. That would be hypocrisy.

3 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:07pm On Sep 25, 2020
etidy:

Doc Rivers is an overrated coach. That is just the inconvenient truth. People want him to be good so bad but 7 years with the Clippers and zero CF appearances. The numbers don't lie.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by steady986(m): 8:15pm On Sep 25, 2020
The Nuggets about to use "the proper channels" to complain to the league about their lack of foul calls grin
It's "proper channels" season
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:16pm On Sep 25, 2020
WeissVonner:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841084-2019-20-nba-title-odds-lebron-james-lakers-favored-after-raptors-finals-win

Like I said, you're functionally illiterate. This article literally mentions that the odds were 24 hours after the finals. Was Kawhi with the clippers then? Or are you going to deny posting that now you lying sack of rat turd. The second article is not even quoting any betting site but just an opinion poll. Bloody clown.

WeissVonner:

Were the Lakers not the underdogs? did every betting site and sports website not have the clippers winning ahead of the Lakers mainly because of stupid analysts and the naive sheep like you who follow them? Then the Lakers were underdogs period, don't try to spin it any other way now.
You are a demented dingbat. Weren't you the one that typed this or was it one of your other bazillion personalities. Did you restrict it to just betting sites?

Confused mofo. Or you don't know what the word 'every' means again? Illiterate
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:30pm On Sep 25, 2020
Any crazeman Bronsexual can say he guarded Jamal Murray when he's allowed to do this

https://twitter.com/famouslos32/status/1309332065565900801?s=19
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:
Any crazeman Bronsexual can say he guarded Jamal Murray when he's allowed to do this

https://twitter.com/famouslos32/status/1309332065565900801?s=19

Cry more. cheesy

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 25, 2020
steady986:
The Nuggets about to use "the proper channels" to complain to the league about their lack of foul calls grin
It's "proper channels" season

These dweebs pretending as if they didnt cry about officiating immediately after game 1 and then gone on to get more FTs in game 2 and 3. No one called it a fix job then. Friggin clowns.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:43pm On Sep 25, 2020
My takeaway is this, officiating has been awful on both sides, as is consistent with the NBA. But people only use it when the Lakers win to promote their silly conspiracy theories. Through 4 games the Lakers have been called for more fouls and both teams have shot the same number of FTs. This is not including the FTs the Lakers only got during garbage time when the Nuggets were actively looking to foul.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:45pm On Sep 25, 2020
WeissVonner:

Cry more. cheesy
Don't call hacking guarding you clown is all I'm saying
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2020
etidy:

I agree on Doc Rivers. Malone is not in that circle imo. He has the luxury of a Tim Duncan like payer, who can also shoot the 3. That alone distorts defenses. Then he has Murray, who can make impossible shots and keep them in the game. He is a good coach, but he has a really good team.

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:48pm On Sep 25, 2020
KNIGHTBlaed:

Guarding on who? Biko, it was the refs that guarded Murray.
Lmaoooo Mfers are literally blind at this point.
Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2020
birdman:

I agree on Doc Rivers. Malone is not in that circle imo. He has the luxury of a Tim Duncan like payer, who can also shoot the 3. That alone distorts defenses. Then he has Murray, who can make impossible shots and keep them in the game. He is a good coach, but he has a really good team.
He groomed the team. Gary Harris was supposed to be a big deal but he stagnated and Jamal Murray has picked it up. Nurkic and Jokic could not coexist so he wisely moved him to Portland
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:
Don't call hacking guarding you clown is all I'm saying

You can't just use one possession to negate the defensive masterpiece LeBron put up in the 4th. LeBron is the king of getting hacked with no calls so miss me with that. No way the refs were going to call something like that in crunch time. Inspiring that the old man wanted all the smoke with all of them.

If only your man Kawhi was more like him, maybe your predictions wouldn't have gone to the shitter and maybe you wouldn't be the subject of so much ridicule right now.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 25, 2020
But the refs. cheesy

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:10pm On Sep 25, 2020
WeissVonner:

You can't just use one possession to negate the defensive masterpiece LeBron put up in the 4th. LeBron is the king of getting hacked with no calls so miss me with that. No way the refs were going to call something like that in crunch time. Inspiring that the old man wanted all the smoke with all of them.

If only your man Kawhi was more like him, maybe your predictions wouldn't have gone to the shitter and maybe you wouldn't be the subject of so much ridicule right now.
You dey mental! Defensive masterpiece my butt cheeks. That was literally the theme of the game. Its easy to want smoke when you can get away with blatant fouls like that

No way the refs were going to call a blatant wrist check while he was driving to the rim? Is this gridiron?

LeNomad got no calls? This man literally got a flagrant 1 for getting brushed on the beard. Negro please
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 9:12pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:
He groomed the team. Gary Harris was supposed to be a big deal but he stagnated and Jamal Murray has picked it up. Nurkic and Jokic could not coexist so he wisely moved him to Portland

He gets props for grooming and establishing a defensive identity. But the things Jokic does on the court, they are not taught by any American basketball system. A big man leaving the rebound to a guard and running to the 3 point line where is he wide open because his opposing big is still in the post, those are not standard playbooks for bigs. As the opposing big, you HAVE to stay and get that rebound obviously. But if you dont, thats 3 points for your opponent. Its like Popovich getting a Tim Duncan - yeah Pops is good, but he also got luck of the draw. Malone has two lucks of the draw - those Murray shots are not taught either, that is just the internal mamba in the kid rising.

Between Harris and Murray, it looked to me like Harris was the more legit superstar. Talent is so hard to call.

Not taking anything away from Nuggets, I thought they would make noise last year, if not for Warriors

2 Likes

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:
You dey mental! Defensive masterpiece my butt cheeks. That was literally the theme of the game. Its easy to want smoke when you can get away with blatant fouls like that

No way the refs were going to call a blatant wrist check while he was driving to the rim? Is this gridiron?

LeNomad got no calls? This man literally got a flagrant 1 for getting brushed on the beard. Negro please

Literally the only call he got that game. He shot 2 FTs, Jeremy grant shot 12. Where was this energy then?

So all the turnovers and missed shots with LeBron guarding them were fouls? Lmao. Cry baby! You will soon cry even harder.

Re: The NBA Begins by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:21pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:

I like that you're coming here from outer space to authoritatively conclude on what you don't know about. Where were you when we were defending Dwayne Casey for getting fired fully aware that DeRozan's choking cost him his job?

Whether he is a legend or not is immaterial and hardly germane to the debate. What he did last year was commendable but to whom much is given much is expected. He failed woefully this season and he has failed woefully in the past with quality rosters. He was the ultimate enabler in a Clippers squad that lacked discipline and were inconsistent from start to finish. To the point where his players felt comfortable talking nonsense to another opposing coach like him. It is this lack of accountability that transferred to the court with players like Patrick Beverley and Marcus Morris

I challenge you to name one team George Karl underperformed with and was not promptly fired. Any team he got as much rope as Doc. Just one

Where did you see coach Bud have Joe Johnson and Josh Smith for the Hawks? Lol stop smoking woolies

Can you say it with a straight face that that Warriors team would have reached this level with Mark Jackson at the helm. Let's see if you can be honest

Do you have majority black coaches? Abeg stop endorsing nepotism. If a competent black coach is being sidelined we will point it out. Why do you want handouts?

I won't sit and defend an underperforming black coach just because he is black. That would be hypocrisy.

Why should I cry for anybody? If a coach is given adequate opportunities that is all we ask.

I don't care what u expect. Doc Rivers is a solid NBA coach and if u told every owner that every black coach they hire would turn out like Doc they will jump out on it. Same as George Karl and Mike D'antoni.

I can't say Mark Jackson would have been as successful as Steve Kerr but they would never be successful without Mark. He was the foundation of the house.

Nobody is asking for hand outs. I am just saying that as a black person, what do u gain by talking down on what others feel is affecting them? If u are happy with the status quo cool but leave others to fight for theirs.

U want them to be perfect and that is nonsense because the white coaches don't have to be perfect. U have a Tyrone Lue with a championship sitting as an assistant. Where else do u see nonsense like that?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The NBA Begins by A40(m): 9:44pm On Sep 25, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Why should I cry for anybody? If a coach is given adequate opportunities that is all we ask.

I don't care what u expect. Doc Rivers is a solid NBA coach and if u told every owner that every black coach they hire would turn out like Doc they will jump out on it. Same as George Karl and Mike D'antoni.
So who are the black coaches that have not been given adequate opportunities. Even the two we can sincerely say were wrongly fired, time has since proven that perhaps they knew and were seeing what we didn't see in the case of Casey and Mark Jackson

BascoVanVeli:

I can't say Mark Jackson would have been as successful as Steve Kerr but they would never be successful without Mark. He was the foundation of the house.
I have not found anyone in disagreement with this

BascoVanVeli:

Nobody is asking for hand outs. I am just saying that as a black person, what do u gain by talking down on what others feel is affecting them? If u are happy with the status quo cool but leave others to fight for theirs.

U want them to be perfect and that is nonsense because the white coaches don't have to be perfect. U have a Tyrone Lue with a championship sitting as an assistant. Where else do u see nonsense like that?
It is called being consistent. If I see an underperforming black coach I call him out so when I'm calling out a white one tomorrow I don't look like a hypocrite. And this was the issue with Stephen A for example who is not keeping the same energy with Doc that he had with Brett Brown.

Stop this nonsense about wanting black coaches to be perfect. Coaches that don't perform typically get fired regardless of race. The last Cavs coach was white and he got fired after 1 season. Enough with this race nonsense

Ty Lue was supposed to be the Lakers coach but the same offer he rejected Frank Vogel accepted. That's just how it works sometimes

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:10pm On Sep 25, 2020
A40:
So who are the black coaches that have not been given adequate opportunities. Even the two we can sincerely say were wrongly fired, time has since proven that perhaps they knew and were seeing what we didn't see in the case of Casey and Mark Jackson

I have not found anyone in disagreement with this

It is called being consistent. If I see an underperforming black coach I call him out so when I'm calling out a white one tomorrow I don't look like a hypocrite. And this was the issue with Stephen A for example who is not keeping the same energy with Doc that he had with Brett Brown.

Stop this nonsense about wanting black coaches to be perfect. Coaches that don't perform typically get fired regardless of race. The last Cavs coach was white and he got fired after 1 season. Enough with this race nonsense

Ty Lue was supposed to be the Lakers coach but the same offer he rejected Frank Vogel accepted. That's just how it works sometimes

Patrick Ewing, Sam Cassell, Jason Kidd, Kevin Ollie, etc. I can go on with names of black coaches who have never been given an opportunity.

Why is it nonsense to believe in yourself? I believe black coaches can do the job just like I believed black quarterbacks could do the same as their white counterparts. The same token excuses were made when we all know that the we have not seen nearly enough black people in the position to make a judgement. And the worst thing is when people like u undermine the cause with flimsy excuses gotten from white people. If we all don't see there is a problem nothing will ever get solved
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 26, 2020
Still on officiating, this was called a foul on Bron. Reviewed, and not overturned.

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 1:08am On Sep 26, 2020
This was somehow not a foul.

1 Like

Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:19am On Sep 26, 2020
The Boston Celtics can't figure out a high school defense. They see a zone and they keep settling for jumpers and bricking them badly! Embarrassing cheesy
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:21am On Sep 26, 2020
Let's go Celtics! I need you lot to win this one.
Re: The NBA Begins by Nobody: 2:25am On Sep 26, 2020
Game 4 it was Herro. Game 5 it's Robinson. This tandem is a problem, until they face the mighty Caruso that is.
Re: The NBA Begins by birdman(m): 2:41am On Sep 26, 2020
I havent seen brad stevens this animated before

(1) (2) (3) ... (1588) (1589) (1590) (1591) (1592) (1593) (1594) ... (2268) (Reply)

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.