Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,002 members, 7,939,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 03 September 2024 at 04:39 PM

Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast (2134 Views)

First Lady Mrs Buhari Stuns With Her Daughters In New Photo / 13yr Old Nancy Lost Her Parents & Siblings In Madalla Blast / Christmas Day: Boko Haram Bomb Catholic Church In Madalla (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Onlytruth(m): 7:20am On Dec 28, 2011
Family escapes Kano riots, loses 4 daughters in Madalla blast
• Father, 58, says he can’t find their corpses
From UBONG UKPONG, Abuja
Wednesday, December 28 , 2011

•Emmanuel Obiukwu

Abuja-based businessman, Sir Emmanuel Obiukwu, lost four of his daughters in the Christmas Day bomb blast at the Saint Theresa’s Catholic Church, Madalla, Niger state. The man fled with his family from Kano State and settled at Madalla, following the insurgence in that state, where they almost died 20 years later.

Sir Obiukwu, 58, was sighted by Daily Sun at the National Hospital, Abuja, looking despondent and shattered as he went up and down in the hospital, and finally stopped at a point where his kinsmen, friends and church members, who had come to sympathize with him were gathered.
Daily Sun, sought to know why the crowd was gathered and discovered that it was about the calamity that had befallen Obiukwu’s family.

Obiukwu, who was very emotional lamented that since the incident occurred on Sunday, they had to no avail, gone from one hospital to the other, searching for the corpses of his daughters after ensuring the admission of their mother and sister, who survived the dastardly act. 

Chioma Obiukwu, the most senior daughter and a University final year student, Ifeoma and Uchenna Obiukwu, twins and Chidimma Obiukwu, he believed, had all perished beyond recognition since he said that he watched them standing along the road right at the spot where the blast occurred, as they tried to cross over to enter the car after the mass.
“Since I left Kano because of the riot, I have not been happy but I said, this is a free land these Hausa people cannot make much problem because they like to kill any how, but here is a unity place, no problem it is safe. As I left Kano that was what I had on my mind, but this is really from fry pan to fire.

“We went for 6 O’clock mass at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla. The mass dismissed at about 8.30 to 9 O’clock, so families were heading for home.
People were at the road there directing movement; I was in front of the church. Suddenly, by then my children and my wife had come, I gave them car key to go and board the car across the road. I told them to cross over to the car so that I could wear-off my church warden dress and go to drop them before I come back to officiate during the 10:00am mass.

“So as they were going, they wanted to cross the road and while I was coming out, I heard a thunderous sound and since I did not know where the sound was coming from, I ran in and hid myself behind one of the pillars. See dust everywhere, but as soon as I recovered from the shock because I was not hurt, I looked out and saw fire, see all those cars coming out from the church were just burning. My children had not crossed the road. So they were there when that bomb blasted. Four of them, I did not see them up till now.

“After admitting my wife and second daughter here on Sunday so that we know their condition before we start looking for the other ones, after their admission, we started going round the whole hospitals in Abuja, after that back to General hospital in Suleija, we could not see any person. So, I told my people, all the corpse we saw, they are beyond recognition, even the ones here, (National Hospital) because majority are here and Gwagwalada, they are beyond recognition.
“So I went there checking one by one, people I saw, I couldn’t recognize them, that is how we have been going round and round, no one up till now. It was that place they stood to cross the road that the incident happened, my car was blasted, if you go there, it is still there, so that was how I confirmed that they might have been burnt beyond recognition.

“We have not been able to recognize anyone that even resembled any of my daughters. The one we wanted to recognize at State House clinic, that had the size of my daughter, they were two corpses inside, they said the owners had already identified them because their mother and the other one are inside the other apartment of the mortuary. Those two were in the second apartment. They said that their owners had already come to identify them, because all of them were evacuated from one car, they got burnt inside the car as family. So that was how we left that place,”
Asked if he had given up the hope on their survival since their corpses were not yet identified, he said, nothing was impossible with God “I believe that they are gone because of the incident there, that was my belief but I still have hope. If God by miracle raises them from anywhere, I will accept, but for me as a human being, I saw the incident there, I doubt. They are gone.

Obiukwu is bitter about the loss and pains inflicted on him and his family, not because he was questioning the powers of God over death and life, but because the bomb blasts had become a recurrent issue in the country and he had lost his daughters because nothing was done to stop the bombings.
“President Jonathan should do something better because this is not the first, not the second, not the third. I am sure that more are coming. Jonathan should wake up and know what to do, that is my candid appeal to him. He should wake up,” he said.
Expressing joy that his entire family did not perish in the inferno, the Awka-Etiti, Idemili South, Anambra State man, said that his wife’s health was fast improving, believing God also for the other daughter, Chiamaka. He is also thankful to God that he and his son were not hurt, considering the fact that some families may have lost everyone to the same or a related blast.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/dec/28/national-28-12-2011-004.html
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Onlytruth(m): 7:23am On Dec 28, 2011
So, where are all those saying "Nigerian politicians are the problem"?
I know that no Northerner has been killed in Eastern Nigeria because a Northerner won presidential polls. EVER.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Lasinoh: 8:15am On Dec 28, 2011
This is highly unfortunate. You Igbos will never learn. Tomorrow you will shout to the world 'pogrom this-pogrom that'! You have ample time to MOVE to your own states of origin. But you will not. Do you forbid to stay in your own Eastern Nigeria? undecided

“We went for 6 O’clock mass at St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla. The mass dismissed at about 8.30 to 9 O’clock, so families were heading for home.

In the current climate of things in Nigeria. . . only a fool will attend any church in the Northern parts of Nigeria. A man has lost not one. . . but FOUR daughters in one sitting. DO YOU EVER LEARN? WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR FACINATION WITH THE NORTH? undecided DEM TAKE AM SWEAR FOR UNA? You don't want One Nigeria. . .but you will not sit in your own states.

Of course it is the fault of the politicians.
Only in places like Nigeria with the WORST set of so-called politicians will any given sect be above the law even in it's own so-called North.
You have different sets of laws for different parts of the country.
If the right politicians were duly elected, there would be only one set of laws for ALL.
Not just Northerners.

This has nothing to do with religion.
Most people in this Boko-Haram of a thing are stark illiterates who have never seen or read a koran.
Just like we have stark illiterates calling themselves Christians in the Southern part of Nigeria.

This has nothing to do with a Southerner winning any presidential polls.
Nigeria is just a lawless society period.
Since Christians started dying senselessly in the Northern parts of Nigeria, how many people have been arrested and prosecuted?
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by hercules07: 9:51am On Dec 28, 2011
Men, I feel for this man o, I can not imagine having anything happen to my daughters, I just hope the man can be consoled. @Onlytruth, it is the responsibility of our leaders to guarantee our safety, the buck stops with them, I am a parent and I know the well being of my family is my responsibility.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by demmykay: 12:40pm On Dec 28, 2011
May the LORD console you and give u the fortitude to bear this great loss. It is not easy losing a child let alone 4 in a day. For his wife and chiamaka i wish u quick recovery nd a sound health.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by otokx(m): 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2011
What a pity? Please let them all who want to relocate from the rough zone move down to their homes down south.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 4:16pm On Dec 28, 2011
Move from kano to niger state?

In what way is niger state safer? Yes there are igbos who have been resident there for decades but the same can be said of the north.

I feel for the family and sympathize with their loss but imo the only safer places so to speak still remain the southwest and maybe port harcourt side, outside their places of origin.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2011
Don't some of you guy find it shameful that a Nigerian can not live freely whereever he likes in your so called one Nigeria.

Tomorrow if folks say lets have a split you can them trouble makers

Now some of you seem to suggest that this man has done something wrong to live in the North.

I will like to see Southerners in the North relocate down South. But for a Northerner to make the same point is simply shameless!!! some of you simply have no shame.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Onlytruth(m): 8:53pm On Dec 28, 2011
mikeansy:

Don't some of you guy find it shameful that a Nigerian can not live freely whereever he likes in your so called one Nigeria.

Now some of you seem to suggest that this man has done something wrong to live in the North.

I will like to see Southerners in the North relocate down South. But for a Northerner to make the same point is simply shameless!!! some of you simply have no shame.

lol, Shame left Nigeria in 1966.
They have been doing copy and paste ever since.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 8:56pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

Move from kano to niger state?

In what way is niger state safer? Yes there are igbos who have been resident there for decades but. The same can be said of the north.

I feel for the family and sympathize with their loss but imo the only safer places so to speak still remain the southwest and maybe port harcourt side, outside their places of origin.

This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read about people supposedly belonging to one country?
Do the northerners down South also leave for the North? Or will it be a one-sided movement?
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by OneNaira6: 9:13pm On Dec 28, 2011
mikeansy:

it is a shame. I don't why we call ourselves Nigeria or believe we are one? Nigeria was a bad decision since day one.

It is a pity. Well I pity that man.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 9:26pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara:

This is the most ridiculous statement I have ever read about people supposedly belonging to one country?
Do the northerners down South also leave for the North? Or will it be a one-sided movement?

my point is if you must leave kano state for niger state then you might as well remain in kano.

if you're fleeing kano then move to either the southwest, southsouth and possibly southeast. At least for now those places remain relatively stable, though i dont know how long that will last.

moving from kano to niger is like moving from kano to bauchi.

now, what's your own point, because i dont understand the jazz you typed there.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by dustydee: 9:32pm On Dec 28, 2011
Sad tale. cry
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 9:39pm On Dec 28, 2011
just too sad. undecided

lord have mercy on nigerians.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by OneNaira6: 9:44pm On Dec 28, 2011
Lasinoh:

This is highly unfortunate. You Igbos will never learn. Tomorrow you will shout to the world 'pogrom this-pogrom that'! You have ample time to MOVE to your own states of origin. But you will not. Do you forbid to stay in your own Eastern Nigeria? undecided

In the current climate of things in Nigeria. . . only a fool will attend any church in the Northern parts of Nigeria. A man has lost not one. . . but FOUR daughters in one sitting. DO YOU EVER LEARN? WHAT EXACTLY IS YOUR FACINATION WITH THE NORTH? undecided DEM TAKE AM SWEAR FOR UNA? You don't want One Nigeria. . .but you will not sit in your own states.

I used to be like you. I could never understand why some Igbo wouldn't just leave the North until recently.  I have a cousin that lives up North in Niger state. I've drilled his mother everyday wondering why that 1diot  is still up there but each time her replies remained solely on, job no dey o! I did not understand what she meant by that thus one day, I took up the courage to ask him rather than his mom as our conversation transcribed I learned he was stuck up there for now.  He was transferred up there by his employer about 7 years ago, every week he asked for a transfer for the past 3 years and all he's transfer request is ignored. He's wants to quit but unsure if another job will surface in this Nigeria in less than a month. He can't start a business in the east or any other area in Nigeria causes money no dey. He's the bread giver in his family, his father is dead, mother is very sick and little brother in youth service in yobe thus being out of a job more than a month will damage them.  His mother's medicinal bills is unimaginable even my family have to help them pay for most of it.  O'boy is terrified of his life begging and hoping his employers would take heart and send him back to Enugu where they found him, according to him, most of the workers in his job are SE, SS or SW and they are all in the same predicament except women.  The women just give one crocodile tear and they transferred to any place of their choice.  The traders living and dying have themselves to blame, it easier for them to relocate but people like him, they have nowhere to turn to.  Him come tell me, two of his coworkers left about a year ago, one moved to Lagos and the other stayed in Abuja and till this day, both are jobless.  SMH.  Nigeria, I pity that country, I pity it.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 9:47pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

my point is if you must leave kano state for niger state then you might as well remain in kano.

if you're fleeing kano then move to either the southwest, southsouth and possibly southeast. At least for now those places remain relatively stable, though i dont know how long that will last.

moving from kano to niger is like moving from kano to bauchi.

now, what's your own point, because i dont understand the jazz you typed there.

Why should asking him to move be your first option?

How about securing your country/state?
How about finding and punishing the offenders?
How about anyone not killing anyone for just about any reason in the first place (most important)
Do you realize that asking all southerners to leave the North should automatically mean all northerners should leave the South?

And BTW, why do yo advise an Igbo man (that is the subject of this thread) to move to SW and SS (and then ''possible SE'', like it should be a last option for him)?
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Basseti: 9:55pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara:

And BTW, why do yo advise an Igbo man (that is the subject of this thread) to move to SW and SS (and then ''possible SE'', like it should be a last option for him)?

I believe she said "outside of their states of origin".

For those calling for the return of all southerners back to the south, I have called for that previously and still do. But its a sad commentary on the so-called "One-Nigeria". So after fighting to keep the nation one, one cannot live freely in it. Sad Sad Sad sad
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 9:58pm On Dec 28, 2011
Basseti:

I believe she said "outside of their states of origin".

For those calling for the return of all southerners back to the south, I have called for that previously and still do. But its a sad commentary on the so-called "One-Nigeria". So after fighting to keep the nation one, one cannot live freely in it. Sad Sad Sad sad

Yes she meant so on her first post but not so in the second one. Thanks.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 9:58pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara:

Why should asking him to move be your first option?

i said IF YOU MUST MOVE.

sometimes we find ourselves in situations beyond our control, ok?

How about securing your country/state?

while waiting for security, put your own safety first.

How about finding and punishing the offenders?

while waiting for that, save yourself.

How about anyone not killing anyone for just about any reason in the first place (most important)

agreed, but since nobody knows or can address the root of this problem, treat the symptom if you cant get at the cause.

Do you realize that asking all southerners to leave the North should automatically mean all northerners should leave the South?

if that's what you want,its your choice.

leaving sentiment aside.

go to wherever you feel you can achieve your measurable aspirations and goals, in an environment that will allow you to do so.

no need to read unnecessary meanings into my post.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Basseti: 10:01pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara:

Yes she meant so on her first post but not so in the second one. Thanks.

You are right. Didnt see the second post. My bad.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara says:

Tpia says::
if that's what you want,its your choice.

I do not see how easy it will be for anyone (an Igbo man, for e.g.) to lose his family and business in the North due to BH and be forced to relocate to the East and then he sees northerners moving around freely in the East with all their wealth and family intact. How easy will anyone take that?
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^
i'm not sure the solution lies in permanent relocation back to places of origin unless you're sure of having a livelihood there.

i'm also not sure this hate campaign many people engage in on nl, isnt counterproductive.

by the time you keep on convincing your people yorubas are their enemies, you push them to trust others who they shouldnt be trusting.

even if yorubas are truly your enemies, then you should at least know the level of danger posed by every enemy you say you have.

anyway, God understands what we humans dont.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 10:21pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

^^
i'm not sure the solution lies in permanent relocation back to places of origin unless you're sure of having a livelihood there.

i'm also not sure this hate campaign many people engage in on nl, isnt counterproductive.

by the time you keep on convincing your people yorubas are their enemies, you push them to trust others who they shouldnt be trusting.

even if yorubas are truly your enemies, then you should at least know the level of danger posed by every enemy you say you have.

anyway, God understands what we humans dont.

What has ''Yoruba enemity'' got to do here? Do you want us to discuss this topic or wallow in other things? You still have not answered my question though:
How easy will anyone take the fact that they lost their family and business in the North due to BH and be forced to relocate to their places or origin and then they see people whose folks killed their family and destroyed their livelihood moving around freely in safe places with all their wealth and family intact?

To avert reprisal attacks, all northerners should move back north as soon as southerners begin to return. That is the most sensible thing to do to save lives from both sides.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 10:26pm On Dec 28, 2011
we are on different pages.

I did not say anyone should relocate permanently to the southeast.

that's your own view which you're trying to push on me.

my own post which you originally had a problem with, listed southwest and southsouth as possible alternatives unless you want to consider just staying outside the country.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by AndreUweh(m): 10:32pm On Dec 28, 2011
@Tpia@
You asked a very important question about moving from Kano state to Niger state.
Anyway, Mandala where the accident happened might have been in Niger state but very close to Abuja. A lot of people who work in Abuja reside in towns very close to Abuja and that includes Mandala, Suleja, Zuba etc all in Niger state. All this areas are thickly peopled by the Igbo. Most people who reside in this areas see themselves as people in in Abuja and not Niger state.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 10:37pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

we are on different pages.

I did not say anyone should relocate permanently to the southeast.

that's your own view which you're trying to push on me.

my own post which you originally had a problem with, listed southwest and southsouth as possible alternatives unless you want to consider just staying outside the country.

Okay! you are making yourself clearer now. Thanks for explaining further.
But may I ask you:

1. Do you think an Igbo man (again for e.g.) who lost family and livelihood) in the North and moves to the SS or elsewhere outside the SE will be happy seeing the same northerners moving freely in those places?
2. Do you assume that only SE people are killed/impoverished in the north? If not so, how safe will any northerner (muslim, I mean) be in the SW, SE, and SS when SW, SE and SS people who escaped death from the North return to the south?
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by udezue(m): 10:50pm On Dec 28, 2011
Sad part is that he will most likely relocate to another part of the North and get victimized again.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 10:59pm On Dec 28, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Tpia@
You asked a very important question about moving from Kano state to Niger state.
Anyway, Mandala where the accident happened might have been in Niger state but very close to Abuja. A lot of people who work in Abuja reside in towns very close to Abuja and that includes Mandala, Suleja, Zuba etc all in Niger state. All this areas are thickly peopled by the Igbo. Most people who reside in this areas see themselves as people in in Abuja and not Niger state.

well, that's an explanation.

however, it seems there were prior attacks on foreigners in madallah even before this one.

i think people need to be wary, try as much as possible to follow what's going on and heed signs of trouble.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 11:00pm On Dec 28, 2011
Nchara:

Okay! you are making yourself clearer now. Thanks for explaining further.
But may I ask you:

1. Do you think an Igbo man (again for e.g.) who lost family and livelihood) in the North and moves to the SS or elsewhere outside the SE will be happy seeing the same northerners moving freely in those places?
2. Do you assume that only SE people are killed/impoverished in the north? If not so, how safe will any northerner (muslim, I mean) be in the SW, SE, and SS?

no, and no.

as per safety, well, nowhere is safe in nigeria.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 11:04pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

no, and no.

as per safety, well, nowhere is safe in nigeria.

Thanks. Well, to avert reprisal attacks (since there is no assurance that people who lost all will be able to bear it with fortitude), all northerners should move back north as soon as southerners begin to return. That, IMO, is the most sensible thing to do to save lives from both sides.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by tpia5: 11:14pm On Dec 28, 2011
^^well, there's also a possibility it's not only southerners who are being displaced from the north.
Re: Family Escapes Kano Riots, Loses 4 Daughters In Madalla Blast by Nchara: 11:34pm On Dec 28, 2011
tpia@:

^^well, there's also a possibility it's not only southerners who are being displaced from the north.

Absolutely. Native folks around Jos are feeling the heat too.
Ordinarily that fact should have made the job of disintegrating Nigeria much more simpler.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov Ajimobi's Wife Allegedly Arrested For Money Laundry In London / Nigeria's Political-economic System / Nigeria, Rich Country Poor People - By A Nairalander

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.